Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It's at this point that the 'choices matter' pitch just falls apart sadly. Despite making the overall good design decision of no inventory except for really short periods of time the game doesn't manage to replace resource management with anything else and so the player is just clicking through the story and the choice usually only means a character is happy or mad at Lee for the next scene or two. Then no matter what choices you've previously made you're on the train with the predetermined set of characters who will always make it onto the train while all the others have been killed off.

I get that the games would become huge and nightmarish to write out if every combination of characters could make it through, let alone if there was going to be emotion tracking between characters, but the game bottlenecks everything way too hard to avoid it. Even if most of the characters have to leave the group before getting to the train then there should have been more offramps written for them - they could be dead or just missing because of player choice, have a 'happy' ending and a good reason to leave or were mad at the player and just left on their own accord. That would stop the game from branching uncontrollably but still give a sense of meaning to player choices - they'd make Lee a good or a bad person in a way that could be tracked between the episodes. As it is the game is unfortunately mostly just an extra clicky visual novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

He talked himself back into it at the motel though so I'd imagine it's a thought process along the lines of 'it's constantly dangerous living on land now, a lot of people would have died right away so not everyone with a boat would have gotten to it, a bunch of desperate amateurs wouldn't know how to handle all the boats that are left, I know boats so if there's anything left in or by the water I can make it seaworthy, therefore just getting to a marina and getting out to sea is the safest thing to do.' As you said events have narrowed his vision quite a bit and so he's saying he's getting a boat now from the centre of the city rather than whatever the original timeframe might have been.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Doesn't Kenny work as a fisherman on a trawler? Surely he'd know that we'd need a sizeable boat so he should be more knowledgeable of where to find them. This isn't the only stretch of water and we can't be too far from the coast?

I would have thought that he would at least have suggest where he works to find one of these boats as they're designed to crew numerous people. He's acting like this is the only place where boats could possibly be yet Savannah is surrounded by several rivers and right on the coast of the Atlantic.

I'm pretty sure Kennys initial plan was to just get to the coast, it was the rapid escape from the motel and finding the train that meant they ended up in the centre of Savannah. If things played out differently or if he was thinking a bit clearer then yeah he'd probably be aiming for a larger boat from a more hidden place.

From a game point of view they've covered the horrors of rural living, they need to cover the urban collapse now anyway.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I've already posted about my disappointment with the first season and completely check out of the second because I don't care about any of the new characters in it and the churn they go through is so fast it's crazy. But for this season they learnt that the point of this style of game has to be the characters and really work on the bonds between them and the player. Having a new player character who is interesting and well done in their own right and also running into Clem right away was a very good move, it instantly adds some depth to the interactions and decisions and so while there's still the really quick location changes and character churn like the earlier games it just works better.