Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that said I didn't read them so could you post something explaining the morality of buying this game in streamer reaction video form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

To the surprise of no one, reddit discussions on this game, and whether it should even matter if JK Rowling was transphobic, are disgusting. I lulled myself into reading reddit again but today I am reminded why I should not do that. Blegh.

Someone even did so little as to correct a person's grammar, who was saying "the transgenders", and the person noted that transgender was a noun, not an adjective -- negative 12 comment score. I know reddit updoots are stupid but man it's depressing to see how people are.

What a bummer, man.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

verbal enema posted:

*casts AIDS*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snuff Melange posted:

To the surprise of no one, reddit discussions on this game, and whether it should even matter if JK Rowling was transphobic, are disgusting. I lulled myself into reading reddit again but today I am reminded why I should not do that. Blegh.

Someone even did so little as to correct a person's grammar, who was saying "the transgenders", and the person noted that transgender was a noun, not an adjective -- negative 12 comment score. I know reddit updoots are stupid but man it's depressing to see how people are.

What a bummer, man.

That's hosed up. I can't believe reddit is fail

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

grieving for Gandalf posted:

do not buy this video game, show some restraint in your consumerism for once in your lives

This but every large studio video game

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cactus posted:

What about pirating the game so that JKR doesn't get royalties? What's peoples' stance on that?

Not advocating piracy in general, just suggesting a lesser evil in this particular case for a game that is going to be ludicrously successful no matter what anyone does or doesn't do.

It seems decent so free or stolen is my plan personally. I ain’t payin’ for poo poo with terf stank on it.

Or if JKR gets hit by a bus I might reconsider it idk

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

worms butthole guy posted:

considering consoles are made with slave labor (nintendo, sony and microsoft) I think its pretty hollow to boycot HL and still play console games :shrug: if you're going full on moral boycotting you might as well go the whole way

we should improve society somewhat

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dewgy posted:

It seems decent so free or stolen is my plan personally. I ain’t payin’ for poo poo with terf stank on it.

Or if JKR gets hit by a bus I might reconsider it idk

Same; IIRC devs don't get paid royalties (though a game's success does generally lead to more projects and contracts later on), so in the short term at least files'ing Legacy shouldn't be starving the people who helped make the game.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I knew it couldn't be good when the devs announced there'd be no mini games. How can you have an open world game with zero minigames?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I knew it couldn't be good when the devs announced there'd be no mini games. How can you have an open world game with zero minigames?

good news friend, there is a lockpicking minigame

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rynoto posted:

Game looks like garbage anyways. Last good HP games I can think of were the Lego ones which is mostly because of them being lego games.

My favorite description this far is 'mid Destiny 2 clone.'

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Blessings to horizon forbidden west and ubisoft for preparing us all to boycott a game of this style

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It does though?

psu.com posted:

The open-world is ripe with exploration opportunities too, and the amount of freedom you are afforded once things open up is impressive. There’s also tons of mini-games including Summoner’s Court, duelling training, solving Merlin’s Trials (these are great and really make use of a wide variety of abilities), popping balloons during flight, broomstick racing for fast time and bragging rights, and more.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Interesting. A few months ago I saw in an interview they said there weren't any.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That IGN review is laughable. If this was some original IP and not the review author's dream come true of a Wizarding World game it would be rated 5/10.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you buy this game, you're an rear end in a top hat.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Control Volume posted:

Blessings to horizon forbidden west and ubisoft for preparing us all to boycott a game of this style

I'd like to thank Horizon Zero Dawn for going on sale recently and reminding me, to the tune of like $12, why I don't bother with AAA open world games if it doesn't say "From Software" on the box.

The tutorial is like 6+ hours long, most of that is just dialog, and once you're set loose on the world, the combat is basically "Far Cry but with some melee" and the build variety is basically non-existent because Aloy is Aloy. Oh and the UbiTowers walk in this one. Whoopdie fuckin doo.

So yeah friend of fascist author aside, I wasn't too interested in this.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SettingSun posted:

That IGN review is laughable. If this was some original IP and not the review author's dream come true of a Wizarding World game it would be rated 5/10.
That seems to be the case, yeah

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that said I didn't read them so could you post something explaining the morality of buying this game in streamer reaction video form
Sorry everyone on youtube has been paid off so it's all fairly uncritical "purchase guides" or uncritical "look at these graphics" vids or anti-anti-transphobia reactionary vids

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fascinating. Thank you OP. Please keep posting video essays and Twitter links, especially in this thread, and in no other thread anywhere

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's the thing with the IP you remember!

Honestly, it kinda sucks, but people gobble up IPs for mediocre games, see everything warhammer, or midnight suns, people just want to see the things they remember i guess.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

It's the thing with the IP you remember!

Honestly, it kinda sucks, but people gobble up IPs for mediocre games, see everything warhammer, or midnight suns, people just want to see the things they remember i guess.

I mean, the top selling games are mario and gta games, which both have not changed at all since 2001

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tuning into a random stream to see what the gameplay is like. The guy had to go farm collectibles so he could gain a level and meet a prerequisite for whats apparently a fun part of the game, while having such banter as "this game is exactly what I expected" and "is this game making me interested in the books? no." Equipment has an mmo rarity system including the colors. Every conversation is bioware-tier. Theres a spell that you spam to reveal every interactable object like chests and doors. The minimap pathfinding algorithm has apparently bugged out while I was writing this post.

e: "'should i get the game now?' uhhhh Its a very good short term experience" hahahaha

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Saying "don't buy this game or you are a piece of poo poo that supports transphobia" is needless bullying of people who have zero power to change anything for the better. Exactly zero people could buy the game and JKR wouldn't notice because she's rich beyond most people's imagination and it didn't cost her anything to make the game.

Yes, in a perfect world, JKR would be bankrupt, and so would Amazon, Google, Nestle, Coke, and almost every company we interact with. If you buy anything from any company, you are giving money to the oppression of workers and supporting paying below a livable wage.

However, feel free to not buy the game if you don't want to, for the transphobia reason or because it's just a mediocre game to begin with. But unless you're also boycotting the dozen or so major game companies that have had or a currently involved in scandals about treatment or employees, or MeToo, or NFT scammery, it is just picking one "feel good cause" to support while ignoring all the problems that lead up to it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Saying "don't buy this game or you are a piece of poo poo that supports transphobia" is needless bullying of people who have zero power to change anything for the better. Exactly zero people could buy the game and JKR wouldn't notice because she's rich beyond most people's imagination and it didn't cost her anything to make the game.

Yes, in a perfect world, JKR would be bankrupt, and so would Amazon, Google, Nestle, Coke, and almost every company we interact with. If you buy anything from any company, you are giving money to the oppression of workers and supporting paying below a livable wage.

However, feel free to not buy the game if you don't want to, for the transphobia reason or because it's just a mediocre game to begin with. But unless you're also boycotting the dozen or so major game companies that have had or a currently involved in scandals about treatment or employees, or MeToo, or NFT scammery, it is just picking one "feel good cause" to support while ignoring all the problems that lead up to it.

Dont care

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
I need to know if there are Bertie Bott's Every Flavoured Beans and a sound for getting them, and if you can collect Famous Witches and Wizards Cards from Chocolate Frogs.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Harry Potter? more like poop kid from poop land

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Tuxedo Gin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL4Q3ZgDTnQ

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Frankly, what everybody should take away from this thread is that instead of paying for hogwarts legacy you should get yourself a sega genesis emulator and spend a comfy evening playing Zero Wing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I personally can think of a few other things related to this issue that count as needless bullying before I would go with asking people not to buy this game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scph8yROB4o

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Very pleased to see that there are precisely zero YouTube channels I watch represented here.

A couple I've seen before and thought "this guys a loving chump", though.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

However, feel free to stfu

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I hate everything JK Rowling stands for, but if she ever made an internet forum called SomethingHorrible.com, I would spend decades posting there.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Same op, but for my patronage of massage parlors and human trafficking.

Like, who can really judge what is actually bad when everything is bad. Fair point, really

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

wtf is the purpose of this thread? we just circlejerking in here?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm not sure if I should buy this. I think I'm going to wait for a stream from a reliable streamer such as Gwar Gura

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Tuxedo Gin posted:

wtf is the purpose of this thread? we just circlejerking in here?

to quarantine hogwarts legacy posts until the game fades into irrelevance in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

You either live outside of society like a hermit or you have to buy the game to avoid being a hypocrite.