Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Gin posted:

wtf is the purpose of this thread? we just circlejerking in here?

Yes, bur it could be way worse , look at how resetera handled it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tuxedo Gin posted:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Saying "don't buy this game or you are a piece of poo poo that supports transphobia" is needless bullying of people who have zero power to change anything for the better. Exactly zero people could buy the game and JKR wouldn't notice because she's rich beyond most people's imagination and it didn't cost her anything to make the game.

Yes, in a perfect world, JKR would be bankrupt, and so would Amazon, Google, Nestle, Coke, and almost every company we interact with. If you buy anything from any company, you are giving money to the oppression of workers and supporting paying below a livable wage.

However, feel free to not buy the game if you don't want to, for the transphobia reason or because it's just a mediocre game to begin with. But unless you're also boycotting the dozen or so major game companies that have had or a currently involved in scandals about treatment or employees, or MeToo, or NFT scammery, it is just picking one "feel good cause" to support while ignoring all the problems that lead up to it.

In an attempt to genuinely engage with this post, please read the OP. It goes into why this is different from Other Companies, why buying or platforming this game has negative impact, why this issue is unique and why, yeah, this actually does kind of matter. It explains this stuff and responds to the points you're making better than I can.

But in a less eloquent way, yeah, the sad truth is if you buy or platform this game you are basically directly financially supporting transphobia. And the people who buy or platform. the game should have to hear that. That's a much less severe consequence than what the victims of transphobia have to go through.

But in fairness, the people who buy the game have arguably the far far far worse consequence of having to play this game.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
point is to make fun of the lovely game op

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

worms butthole guy posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgPJSBd18MU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

We're discussing the critically-acclaimed Hogwarts Legacy, based on the widely celebrated and loved Wizarding World® universe by celebrated author J. K. ROFLing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this thread is epic.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

*Signing a novelty sized check of all of my savings to Andrew Anglin* "wouldn't wanna be a hypocrite"

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Saying "don't buy this game or you are a piece of poo poo that supports transphobia" is needless bullying of people who have zero power to change anything for the better. Exactly zero people could buy the game and JKR wouldn't notice because she's rich beyond most people's imagination and it didn't cost her anything to make the game.

Yes, in a perfect world, JKR would be bankrupt, and so would Amazon, Google, Nestle, Coke, and almost every company we interact with. If you buy anything from any company, you are giving money to the oppression of workers and supporting paying below a livable wage.

However, feel free to not buy the game if you don't want to, for the transphobia reason or because it's just a mediocre game to begin with. But unless you're also boycotting the dozen or so major game companies that have had or a currently involved in scandals about treatment or employees, or MeToo, or NFT scammery, it is just picking one "feel good cause" to support while ignoring all the problems that lead up to it.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

wtf is the purpose of this threadpost? we just circlejerking lesser evil-ing in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scph8yROB4o

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I just got word from a moderator. It's OK to post goatse in this thread

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

these people should all be aver kadavered iykwim

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The loving bad guy spell is Abra Kadabra except with the word cadaver in it and it's just "the target of this spell stops being alive".

What the gently caress did any of us ever see in this drivel.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I haven't pulled the trigger on a pre-order yet, because I have a problem with supporting gaming companies that dole out console-exclusive content and paid DLCs prior to release. I'll probably wait a year or two until the ultimate bundle comes out at a discount. Just doesn't feel right rewarding bad behavior like this.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Inshallah this game kills off the American open world genre entirely

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The game gets at least one thing right from what I saw from it footage wise.

When you beat someone in this game, the hp bar takes its time to fade out as would be expected.
When you successfully cast Death (Abraca-fuckyou or whatever it's called) the enemy's hp bar straight up vanishes.

That it (from all indication) gives you unfettered-besides-cooldown access to what amounts to Level One Death strikes as an issue but whatever.

And that's the exact amount of praise I'm giving this.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Control Volume posted:

Hope not. I like open world games. They are fun.👍

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
very strange that people are fine supporting Elden Ring, when Hidetaka Miyazaki is basically to disabled people what JK Rowling is to the LGBTQIA+ community

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1622770368758050817

lmfao. I lvoe the modern age

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Man the negative attention that guy and his girlfriend got sure does suck now imagine if people were spending millions and millions of dollars to try and pass it into law.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Is it possible to get twitch drops even if you don't have the game? Do you just get a code that you can enter to redeem so you can redeem it? I forgot there's exclusive Twitch drops for outfits and costumes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Control Volume posted:

:pray:

it wont tho it's gonna sell billies

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

haha

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I'm playing it it's pretty fun. I like dressing up my wizard

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

I'm playing it it's pretty fun. I like dressing up my wizard

Please post videos or screenshots, wizarding thread needs content badly.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Trickortreat posted:

Is it possible to get twitch drops even if you don't have the game? Do you just get a code that you can enter to redeem so you can redeem it? I forgot there's exclusive Twitch drops for outfits and costumes.

u probably just get a code. their also putting stuff like special hats or capes if u buy it from specific stores. and a ps5 exclusive mission. bringing back all the classics :rubshands:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

ErrEff posted:

Please post videos or screenshots, wizarding thread needs content badly.

ok i have to go to work now but I will do an LP with my OC HP character Melissius Wizardmore

i dont really know anything about harry potter or who any of these people are or why it matters but Magic Oxbridge is a fun setting. i hope i can learn the murder spell and begin indiscriminately slaughtering npcs like in the mos eiseley level of the Phantom Menace game

this is the first time i've paid the $10 extra for a deluxe edition that every AAA game comes with now where you get like a hat. you get some goth outfits and an evil horse and some quests and a PVE arena which looks pretty boring but you also get to play the game 3 days early and i just beat the Dead Space remake so

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 7, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't kill AAA open world games I like them when they're not terf city

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sakurazuka posted:

*loads machine gun*

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sakurazuka posted:

there's definitely been at least one good AAA open world game in the last ten years, possibly even two

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Sonic Frontiers justified the open world concept by being sick as gently caress and being about a fast hedgehog.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Eastern european or japanese AAA open world games only. May we then live in a gamers paradise.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

MJeff posted:

Sonic Frontiers justified the open world concept by being sick as gently caress and being about a fast hedgehog.

Sonic Frontiers owns and is a perfect game.

I'm sure this game is great too but I don't support terfs

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

MJeff posted:

The loving bad guy spell is Abra Kadabra except with the word cadaver in it and it's just "the target of this spell stops being alive".

What the gently caress did any of us ever see in this drivel.

evergreen

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Control Volume posted:

Theres a spell that you spam to reveal every interactable object like chests and doors.
lol of course it has Detective Vision TM

Tuxedo Gin posted:

https://twitter.com/kitsunemorgaine/status/1622657916258996231

worms butthole guy posted:

How did resetera handle it?

chernobyl kinsman posted:

there's definitely been at least one good AAA open world game in the last ten years, possibly even two
Elden Ring was last year, Zelda Tears of the Kingdom is this year (maybe)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Control Volume posted:

Eastern european or japanese AAA open world games only. May we then live in a gamers paradise.

Does Destiny count as open world I wanna keep that too.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

F.D. Signifier posted:

Elden Ring was last year

yeah that's the one i meant

MJeff posted:

why

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

F.D. Signifier posted:

How did resetera handle it?
They banned all discussion of it. If you talk about it you risk getting banned from the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MJeff posted:

No thats a looter shooter. Big difference