Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I personally can think of a few other things related to this issue that count as needless bullying before I would go with asking people not to buy this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Saying "don't buy this game or you are a piece of poo poo that supports transphobia" is needless bullying of people who have zero power to change anything for the better. Exactly zero people could buy the game and JKR wouldn't notice because she's rich beyond most people's imagination and it didn't cost her anything to make the game.

Yes, in a perfect world, JKR would be bankrupt, and so would Amazon, Google, Nestle, Coke, and almost every company we interact with. If you buy anything from any company, you are giving money to the oppression of workers and supporting paying below a livable wage.

However, feel free to not buy the game if you don't want to, for the transphobia reason or because it's just a mediocre game to begin with. But unless you're also boycotting the dozen or so major game companies that have had or a currently involved in scandals about treatment or employees, or MeToo, or NFT scammery, it is just picking one "feel good cause" to support while ignoring all the problems that lead up to it.

In an attempt to genuinely engage with this post, please read the OP. It goes into why this is different from Other Companies, why buying or platforming this game has negative impact, why this issue is unique and why, yeah, this actually does kind of matter. It explains this stuff and responds to the points you're making better than I can.

But in a less eloquent way, yeah, the sad truth is if you buy or platform this game you are basically directly financially supporting transphobia. And the people who buy or platform. the game should have to hear that. That's a much less severe consequence than what the victims of transphobia have to go through.

But in fairness, the people who buy the game have arguably the far far far worse consequence of having to play this game.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

worms butthole guy posted:

Yes, bur it could be way worse , look at how resetera handled it lol

I'm almost afraid to ask.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The loving bad guy spell is Abra Kadabra except with the word cadaver in it and it's just "the target of this spell stops being alive".

What the gently caress did any of us ever see in this drivel.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Man the negative attention that guy and his girlfriend got sure does suck now imagine if people were spending millions and millions of dollars to try and pass it into law.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Sonic Frontiers justified the open world concept by being sick as gently caress and being about a fast hedgehog.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Control Volume posted:

Eastern european or japanese AAA open world games only. May we then live in a gamers paradise.

Does Destiny count as open world I wanna keep that too.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

chernobyl kinsman posted:

yeah that's the one i meant

why

Throwing space magic at ugly bug monsters and watching my number go up releases the happy brain chemicals.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

smoobles posted:

What you guys fail to realize is that Harry Potter nostalgia is the only thing keeping many depressed elder millennials from murder suiciding their families

Look I'm sorry they chose the wrong thing to hyper fixate on when they were 12 but that's not our problem.

I don't know what the correct answer is offhand, anime doesn't particularly seem to have been the answer either.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

FireWorksWell posted:

I don't know why I started browsing those comments, yikes.

E: in regards to that Dextro tweet

A couple white cis people being made uncomfortable is the worst thing in the world, I guess.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Bullying a charity stream is wrong, touch grass

Donating to charity to try and defray backlash for platforming a game you know you shouldn't be platforming, but you're doing it anyway because you want the engagement is cynical and manipulative. They shouldn't be surprised people saw right through it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mnoba posted:

you are just as bad as anti trans people posting like this,

Anti trans people do stuff like make laws literally making it illegal to be transgender or receive gender affirming medical care for themselves or their children so I'm gonna have to throw the challenge flag on that one.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Oh poo poo you’re so right. We can’t let these streamers platform this Triple AAA game

Wow, triple AAA? That's like nine As.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mnoba posted:

nah, i'm sure you and the 5 others that were looking forward to just posting edgy bullying garbage in this thread for awhile are getting upset enough so it probably counts for something I imagine.

Again, I find the use of the word "bullying" on this particular subject just so very fascinating.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ErrEff posted:

So who is your favorite Harry Potter character? Mine is Harry Potter.

I went to Universal Hollywood a couple years ago and the rollercoaster was pretty dope.

Mnoba posted:

you probably find the ingredients list on a box of bran flakes interesting, you are spending your time poo poo posting a video game I'm here to poo poo post also since that seems to be allowed this isn't hard.

You seem very determined to be relentlessly aggressive without actually saying much of anything or holding any kind of a position.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sorry OP, we have ruled that everyone who dares to stream this game be locked up in high security prison

I don't actually think anybody has gone to prison for streaming the game. I haven't checked very thoroughly but I don't think that happened.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sorta hosed up how he openly acknowledges that he has a huge queer fanbase right after saying the only reason he's not streaming the game is that he doesn't want to get bullied (hey, there's that word again!). Maybe you shouldn't stream the game out of support for that queer fanbase rather than out of, I guess, fear of it, dude.

And theres the charity stuff again too. Do these guys not know you can raise money for charity without playing the game that directly benefits transphobia? You could even, I dunno, play a pro-transgender game while raising money for charity!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

What are the pro trans games OP. And you can’t say celeste

Sonic Frontiers has a part where Eggman thinks he should ask his robot daughter what her pronouns are?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

People just want to play the wizard game. People want to watch the wizard game. The majority of people don't care about it on any level other than that

It's not ideal but that's why

Yeah most people care about an extremely generic action game, and the engagement to be made from said extremely generic action game than transgender people. I already knew that. Still sucks, though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Slowpoke! posted:

Sorry friends, but I really want to fly around Hogwarts on a broom

You can find Quidditch World Cup used somewhere. :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Guilty Gear Strive

Oh man. So many Japanese experts suddenly coming out of the woodwork to explain no, this is what they REALLY meant!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hollow knight silk song

Please, we're discussing games that exist not collective delusions.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

It's fairly telling that the big image they posted boasting about all of their 9s and 10s was all stuff like Gamerz Weekly and Jim's Playstation Blog.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Endorph posted:

someone mentioned xb3 and that one was really funny because the character's only referred to as they/them in the eng version. and then people tried google translating the jp script to prove that they were Gendered but since google translate just assumes gender when its ambiguous they then started arguing over whether the character was a guy or a girl.

and then someone dug into the files and the character is literally nonbinary in the code. as in there's a gender flag in the code, guys are 0, girls are 1. juniper is, 2. lmao.

It's really, really important to a some people to believe that the entire population of Japan has no conception of anything outside the established gender binary. :lol:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

the sex ghost posted:

Her map of global magical schools where there was one school for all of asia

Wasn't there one for all of America too?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

LionArcher posted:

He just raised over 500k yesterday because of the earthquakes in Turkey. Trying to scold Hassan makes you look like a loving dumbass, when he’s just being honest.

It's cool that he raised a lot of money for victims of an earthquake. I still think the sentiment he expressed on the game is kinda hosed up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SweetBro posted:

Which like all they needed to fix that is to have a Slytherin betray the Death Eater's and pull a "I've actually been on your side the whole time, check out all this McGuffin related info I stole that you otherwise had no reasonable way of accessing. Look at how Resourceful and Cunning I am."

See, the problem here is.

That's very clever writing and we're talking about JK Rowling.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dawgstar posted:

While Just Kidding claims that the Slytherin were the cunning this is never actually born out because they're all rock stupid and obviously evil. Or what MJeff said.

Yeah the real issue here is that JK made four houses and gave all of them implied qualities that on the surface, made all of them equal to each other and strong in their own ways, which is really good world building. That one bit of world building with the four houses captured every little kid's heart and is probably the main reason she's a gajillionaire.

But then she actually wrote the books and Gryffindor became the protagonists, Syltherin became rich, evil morons and Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff became [SCENE MISSING].

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Like even in the book where arguably the most important character besides Harry was a Hufflepuff and his death at the end is supposed to be the signal of a massive tone shift for the rest of the series, she couldn't be bothered to actually, like. Do anything with him. Or give him character traits. Woman was straight up allergic to making any characters besides Gryffindors matter even a little.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

You sure do know a lot about Harry Potter

Yeah, I read the books when I was a teenager.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CJ posted:

Who are you talking about? The only character i can think of is Cedric Diggory but i don't know how anyone could possibly say he is the most important character other than Harry.

He's pretty important in that book, or at least he's supposed to be. He's like the most awesome student in Hogwarts, at least according to the magic cup. Him dying should be a pretty big deal for the tone of the series but it's just kinda something that happens because of how underdeveloped he is.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

the sex ghost posted:

You like brooms huh well the rock's gonna tell you what you can do with that broom

Jerry Lawler (but magic): oh no!!!

Apparently he had a stroke today.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Strategic Tea posted:

The evil bigot occupies a uniquely front and centre position in this particular brand.

Like I'd be pretty reluctant to buy Vladimir Putin's own brand toothpaste with a picture of him on the front, even if it was really cheap. And hell at least toothpaste is a necessity.

Also I don't think game devs even get royalties, do they?

Hopefully all of those bought 9s and 10s get them their bonuses at least.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I got some bad news for you. Not buying the game will also lead the billionaire to continue spending on that type of legislation. Buying or boycotting a video game is not direct action.

That doesn't really contradict what they said.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

LionArcher posted:

Except I know several cops who work in child exploitation division, and their job is to nail pedophiles. Those are good cops, doing a good job.

Commonly referred to as The Benson Exception.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RatHat posted:

Rowling had nothing to do with the game itself

Who do you think came up with Hogwarts?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dpulex posted:

Lol you have awful taste. The series where one of the main dudes was so stupid he ignored the one rule about animorphing and became a hawk forever. Not even one of the cool hawks it was a lame red tail.

What the gently caress, he didn't ignore it. Tobias made the intentional choice to stay a hawk for over two hours during a mission so he wouldn't expose his friends to the Yeerks. IT WAS A HEROIC SACRIFICE! TOBIAS IS loving AWESOME! I'LL loving KILL YOU!

Anyway, I liked Pendragon. But the ending to those was super loving underwhelming.

LionArcher posted:

Aside from geeking out about Zelda tomorrow, this will be one of my last posts.

Have I always been doing a bit? (You go back long enough and weirdly looking at just my posts, you'll see I've done a few like in the classic literature thread) Do i really think that if you choose to have kids in a first world country you're a worse person morally than somebody who buys this game? Who knows? Do I think climate change is going to kill the majority of the human race in the next 60 years and everyone navel gazing over stupid pop culture things is weak rear end poo poo when everyone who calls themselves a leftists should really be blowing up oil pipelines? Who can say.

Do I actually think vibrational frequency with JD is real? Only by spending time meditating in the quantum realm can you search your soul and know the truth. Is Lion Archer even really posting? Or is it a person who quit the forums 6 months ago, and came back when he had a head cold and is having Chat GPT respond for them?

And If I do buy the game? I will be buying it used.

Above all, be kind to each other, the world needs more kindness, not more snark.

If nothing else, I would like to say, some excellent poster/av combo from this guy in this thread.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Instant Sunrise posted:

the only good harry potter rpg already exists it’s chamber of secrets for the game boy color.

fliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipendoooooo

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lmao this ad owns.

Pigbuster posted:

We successfully bullied him out of doing it, lol. In his defense I don’t think he knew how stupid they were, it was early on

This got to a point where brands would tweet WE'VE GOT A COOL SURPRISE COMING!, then they would have to follow up with "Holy poo poo, it's not NFTs, we promise."

https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1483570191237672961?lang=en

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

doingitwrong posted:

That’s unfair to the trans allies who, through no fault of their own, found their names drifting out of the goblet of fire. They had no choice!

"Goons, did you purchase Hogwarts: Legacy?" He asked calmly.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

LionArcher posted:

A lot of posters in this thread need to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMzRwYZ2HUA

Good morning, it's a good morning because there's a Nintendo direct and hopefully a Zelda trailer.

Is this your attempt to being fixing the mistake that is your posts, because I think that's commendable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

shut up blegum posted:

How are we sure JK Rowling gets paid more if the game sells more copies?
Isn't it also possible she just got a stack of cash ages ago when they started the development of the game?

I liked the HP books when I was younger and this game looks pretty fun. I had no idea about the entire controversy and the whole boycot seems weird to me, but whatever.
Haven't bought it, but will probably pick it up with a discount in the future or play it when it comes to ps plus or whatever.

The thing to keep in mind about this and one of the things that makes Harry Potter truly unique is that JK Rowling has incredible leverage over all aspects of the franchise, probably the most of any living creator today. Whatever the best deal is, that's what she has. So if anything, it's probably most likely she got a massive rights fee up front and residuals based on the game's sales simply because that's what she would've been able to demand and if Warner Bros. didn't give it to her, they didn't get the rights, so they don't get to make the game.

But even assuming that premise is true and Rowling has made all the money she's ever going to make from Hogwarts Legacy and no amount of copies will benefit here, there's two things to still consider.

1) She considers the continued success of the Harry Potter franchise to be proof that the public at best doesn't care about her views enough to prevent them spending money on it (which, sadly, appears to be true) and at worst proof that the public actively agrees with her views. She's likely not capable of self-reflection anyway, but spending money on the franchise just emboldens her all the more anyway. Just keep in mind, whether or not YOU think buying Hogwarts Legacy proves that you support JK Rowling being a transphobe and using the money she earns from Harry Potter to bankroll transphobic legislature, she 100% thinks that's what it means.
2) If the game is successful (which, sadly, it appears to be), Warner Bros. is gonna wanna make a sequel, which means another gigantic rights fee for Rowling.

Buying the game means money for Rowling, one way or another, and she considers that encouragement to keep doin' what she's doin'. There is no way around that.