Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Szarrukin posted:

I have to admit, these changes in gameplay... don't look so bad? I was expecting much worse.

It's... hard to get it across in screenshots or even video, really, but Gothic 2 combat felt very deliberate, like you waited for openings, prepared for attacks, took risks, animal enemies you tried to keep at bay or bait into attacks you could punish. Here? It mostly just feels like you mash attack until other mans keels over. It also really feels like the enemy AI got slightly lobotomized. It was never the smartest, but if you aggroed one bandit in Gothic 2, you could count on every buddy of his in the same camp being instantly aware of your location and heading out to beat your rear end, none of this "oh huh wonder where Bandit Joe is heading off to with his sword out, let's keep roasting sausages while ignoring the sounds of clashing arms right behind our heads"-poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

PurpleXVI posted:

It's... hard to get it across in screenshots or even video, really, but Gothic 2 combat felt very deliberate, like you waited for openings, prepared for attacks, took risks, animal enemies you tried to keep at bay or bait into attacks you could punish. Here? It mostly just feels like you mash attack until other mans keels over. It also really feels like the enemy AI got slightly lobotomized. It was never the smartest, but if you aggroed one bandit in Gothic 2, you could count on every buddy of his in the same camp being instantly aware of your location and heading out to beat your rear end, none of this "oh huh wonder where Bandit Joe is heading off to with his sword out, let's keep roasting sausages while ignoring the sounds of clashing arms right behind our heads"-poo poo.

See that's what the various patches change. Not sure it makes the game better though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Does this game have fixed classes like 2, or is it like Morrowind/Skyrim where one can get really good at everything with enough time, patience and grinding? I rather fancy the latter, honestly, because I like playing with all the toys. I rarely replay long games like RPGs

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

JustJeff88 posted:

Does this game have fixed classes like 2, or is it like Morrowind/Skyrim where one can get really good at everything with enough time, patience and grinding? I rather fancy the latter, honestly, because I like playing with all the toys. I rarely replay long games like RPGs

Gothic 3 has enough skill points that you can learn everything and no skills locked off by your decisions, it's one of the things that the Alternative Balancing "fixes" by increasing skill costs and lowering skill gains, and honestly one of the reasons I did NOT pick the Alternative Balancing or additional community patches, because I had enough of the playerbase deciding Gothic wasn't "hard enough" in Night of the Raven.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'll admit that I lost interest in the Gothic 2 LP after it became clear how badly the Night of the Raven patch fucks with the experience. So hearing that not come into play here is really good.

One thing I'm kind of confused by is why they insist on having a consistent protagonist throughout. From what I seen, it doesn't come into play much really? Anyone have clarification on this?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Keldulas posted:

I'll admit that I lost interest in the Gothic 2 LP after it became clear how badly the Night of the Raven patch fucks with the experience. So hearing that not come into play here is really good.

One thing I'm kind of confused by is why they insist on having a consistent protagonist throughout. From what I seen, it doesn't come into play much really? Anyone have clarification on this?

You do meet your former companions throughout the world in 3, which is kindof neat. Also Xardas.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PurpleXVI posted:

Gothic 3 has enough skill points that you can learn everything and no skills locked off by your decisions, it's one of the things that the Alternative Balancing "fixes" by increasing skill costs and lowering skill gains, and honestly one of the reasons I did NOT pick the Alternative Balancing or additional community patches, because I had enough of the playerbase deciding Gothic wasn't "hard enough" in Night of the Raven.

Cheers to that. I am entirely on your side in this regard. I had no desire to play G2 with the expansion and very little otherwise, but this game's look is making me want to play it. I have a feeling that the LP will put me off (not because of you, but because of the dreadful game), but I am definitely the sort of person who would want max everything. Not for powergaming purposes, I'm just very curious and completionist.

Keldulas posted:

I'll admit that I lost interest in the Gothic 2 LP after it became clear how badly the Night of the Raven patch fucks with the experience.

Same - see above. I will probably never play G2 on Steam with the expansion removed, but I will definitely never play NotR.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Keldulas posted:

From Gothic 1 to Gothic 2, they could've absolutely rolled with a different protagonist, but from Gothic 2 to Gothic 3 there is actually some degree of deep metaplot, albeit nothing you couldn't have written yourself out of it an afternoon.

From a non-serious or snarky perspective, though, I absolutely appreciate having this same luckless goober lose all his skills and gear twice in a row.

JustJeff88 posted:

I have a feeling that the LP will put me off (not because of you, but because of the dreadful game),

Gothic 3 has a lot of, uh, dead wood, I'll be doing my best to cut it out while still keeping things coherent, so hopefully the dreadfulness will be prevented from making the LP unreadable.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

PurpleXVI posted:

From a non-serious or snarky perspective, though, I absolutely appreciate having this same luckless goober lose all his skills and gear twice in a row.

Maybe he's under a curse. Modern Sisyphus.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Szarrukin posted:

I have to admit, these changes in gameplay... don't look so bad? I was expecting much worse.

the combat in gothic 3 is floaty in a way that gothic 1 and 2s isn't. primary attacks feel incredibly slow, while fast attacks come out almost instantaneously, and are basically impossible to predict.

their next game, risen, uses most of the same combat system, but just tightening up the attack speed and bringing back directional attacks makes it feel much better.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Roobanguy posted:

the combat in gothic 3 is floaty in a way that gothic 1 and 2s isn't. primary attacks feel incredibly slow, while fast attacks come out almost instantaneously, and are basically impossible to predict.

their next game, risen, uses most of the same combat system, but just tightening up the attack speed and bringing back directional attacks makes it feel much better.

I just watched a bit of video footage of this game, and the combat floated on high o'er vales and hills. Watching the player fight enemies with a sword looked like agitating a handkerchief to signal someone. He didn't so much strike with a blade than gesture with it in the general direction of his foes.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Content is always nice.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Latest episode has been recorded but is slightly delayed since Avidemux is telling me it's gonna take almost 24 hours to finish processing the cropping and encoding. I have no idea why the Gothic 3 videos are so much bigger than the Gothic 2 videos, it can't just be down to the somewhat higher resolution, can it?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Are you recording at 4K 60fps or something, because 720p 30fps would be more than fine for a game this old.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
What sort of protagonist would we be if we didn't choose option C for maximum rewards before locking ourselves out of a path by setting it on fire?

Also preemptive vote to learn how to summon Skellymans again when it becomes a viable option (obviously level up as you need to actually survive and whatnot first).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
A. Don't do slavery, kids.

EDIT: Also, the wild boars are where I quit the game in disgust.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Update 02: Training Montage

Alright, so the vote was pretty convincingly in favour of not taking a side just yet, thankfully there are a good number of "neutral" quests and exploration opportunities between Reddock, Ardea and Cape Dun. What I qualify those as, is something anyone wants us to do(or that we want to do) that doesn't piss off one faction. If it just makes one group happy without victimizing the other, it's fair game. So, say, no killing orc patrols for Reddock, but killing boars for Reddock is an option.

Resuming in Cape Dun, there are a few folks(most of the town, really) we haven't talked to yet.

Oh boy, here we go.
Don't sass me, where's my stuff?
Your stuff?
My large, unmarked boxes full of valuable goods currently being hoarded by bandits and riffraff. Why are you lounging around here when you could be getting those back for me?
Alright, well where do you think they are so I can get them back for you and get some sort of reward?
What do I look like? A FAQ? Get off my porch.

One issue with Gothic 3 is that because of the greater landmass, there's also a lot more terrain to wander around blindly trying to find what NPC's direct you towards with unhelpful statements like "it's on the coast" or "somewhere to the north." I actually had to look up where Urkrass' loving boxes were.

poo poo, who squealed? Was it that rear end in a top hat Jack? I knew I should've found a better fence-
Ha ha, no, I just say that to every newcomer and most of you have lovely poker faces, welcome to Team Thief.
Uh, thanks.
If you rob Urkrass' store, I'll teach you how to rob people better.

Myrtana's thieves have notably worse opsec than the thieves of Khorinis. I think Seruk may only open up to you like this if you've stolen something by the time you meet him, but what sort of Gothic player gets out of Ardea without stealing everything not nailed down?

Deckard's most important role in Cape Dun is to be a trader, in particular he sells this insanely cheap +5 to Ancient Knowledge as an item, getting me a bit closer to skeleton mastery.

Cyrus, next to him, mostly complains about not being allowed to go fight bandits. I believe it's possible to goad him into a fight by jabbing at him over it, calling him a whiner, but that seems like a bit of a dick move.

Jens the hunter outside of town wanted some wolf skins to sell to the traders in Cape Dun, and suggested we just take some wolf skins lying around Cape Dun, presumably ones belonging to said traders or which they already sold to people, but no one cares if we walk around picking them up. :v: There are like fifteen or so, so you don't have to be super thorough about it.

At least the orcs are keeping the animals mucked out, it's not total anarchy under their rule.

It's easy to forget how huge pigs actually are.

Up top past a bunch of gnarly corpses of what were presumably Cape Dun's loyal defenders the orcs have set up a fighting circle in front of the lighthouse. I'm keeping my distance for now.

With enough wolf skins, Jens consents to teaching me stuff. I increase my Hunting Skill so I do more bow damage, learn how to pry skins off animals and learn how to harvest their bone parts(antlers, claws, horns) too. These each come with a little bit of fluff, and I appreciate that the Gothic devs tried, but like back in Gothic 2 it's always just "well you grab the thing, cut it with a knife, and then give it a yank!" no matter what. I wonder if it's an intentional joke.

So, wolves.

I loving hate fighting wolves. They're always in groups and they're surprisingly lethal because of their knockdowns, human enemy knockdowns are somewhat telegraphed, but animal knockdowns are just out of nowhere.

Enemies can climb ANY surface to get to you, it seems, unless it's completely vertical, but any time you hit them, it makes them back off a bit, and steep slopes slow them some, so a slope and a bow can let you more or less "stunlock" some enemies.

In exchange for some healing plants, which are everywhere in the wild, Esiel here is an alchemy trader/trainer.

Except for a few skills, most alchemy is just about having the money to afford recipes.

I also catch a screenshot of this bizarrely-proportioned shirtless slave lighting up a fat joint while taking a break. Being allowed to smoke weed on break? They may call them slaves, but they clearly have a better union than I do.

Having cleared out the area around Cape Dun mostly, I decide to go hunting for Urkrass' crates. They're along the coastline, but not the beach part of the coastline, of course, because that would make them too easy to find.

While testing out the fact that I can now kill deer in one shot(also note that Deer, completely harmless creatures, are worth as much XP as wolves, that can kill my rear end), I stumble across the raiders' camp I was looking for.

Oh, yeah, you know what I DO like about Gothic 3? Specialty arrows! Say hi to the fire arrow. It has a higher base damage than normal arrows and does some lingering damage over time, it's also just plain satisfying to set enemies on fire.

If you can split enemies up, most of them are slow enough that if you back off while putting arrows into them with the right timing, they never get close enough to actually land a hit as long as you don't get caught up on terrain, since arrows make them flinch and interrupt their animations.

In addition to the crates Urkrass wanted, there are also some of the bundles of weapons for the folks in Reddock. Despite their saying the bundles were, well, bundled by the orcs, I end up finding four out of the five I need for the quest in places where no orcs are around.

At least no one decided what Gothic 3 needed was weight or volume limitations. Time to cram these boxes with roughly as much volume as my entire body into my pockets. I'm not even wearing a backpack!

Finally! My valuable boxes!
And how about my valuable rewards?
What, you want to be paid? What about the exposure?
Just cough up the money, Urkrass.

Urkrass, like most of the orcs in Cape Dun, grudgingly respect us if we do work for them or prove ourselves. They still call us "Morra," which is presumably an orcish slur for humans, but in a decidedly different tone. This also opens up Urkrass as a merchant and makes him not complain if we walk into his warehouse.

He watches us as we enter, but then gets bored and looks away soon after, letting us freely steal all his stuff.

The three big prizes are the gold goblets for Seruk, more weapon bundles and the Cape Dun teleporter stone.

Nice work. Now, if you're bored, you can go extort Jack over in Ardea, he got paid a lot of money by the rebels, and maybe rob the alchemist here in town.
Thanks for the tips. About that training?

Thieving Skill primarily gates your access to thieving upgrades, but also regulates how often you waste lockpicks when trying to open locks. There is, as mentioned, no minigame now, just a percentage chance to gently caress up picking a lock. I get Seruk to teach me how to crack medium-difficulty locks, because I don't want to miss out on any loot, and hold off on the other upgrades.

Then I decide to rob a nearby shed behind Deckard's back...

And get my first encounter with Gothic 3's "Thief Counter" system which is... bad. Removing it or defanging it is the best thing about the Alternative Balancing which I'm not using. Essentially, after stealing ~20 items or opening ~20 containers unseen in a settlement, a guard will grump at you with no consequences. After another ~20, it'll happen again, but this time you need to bribe, fight or talk your way out of it, with bribing and talking being gated behind thief skills. On the one hand I appreciate that people do notice that their poo poo disappears, but it would feel better if it just made them more watchful and less willing to leave it out of their sight, perhaps upgrading their locks or posting guards, rather than psychically intuiting that you're responsible.

I warp to Ardea to get some money out of Jack.

They freed the slaves, or patched up the ones that were face down in the dirt last I was here, but didn't get them any shirts.

This bit with Jack baffled me at first, because Seruk says Jack got paid a lot of money by the rebels. So I think "ah-hah, I have to act thiefishly and steal it from him." But none of his chests have any large amounts of gold. It turns out, in the end, that you just have to talk to him and he coughs it up, so I go kick him out of bed.

I did, but I don't really know what to buy with it considering I live off the grid in a country occupied by orcs. You can have it.
What, just like that? You're giving me stuff just because I asked?
You seem like a reasonable fellow.
I should try this more often rather than beating people up for their stuff. Thanks, Jack.

I also stop by the smithy in Ardea since we start with a single weapon recipe. The Broad Sword is, against non-orc enemies, a decent upgrade on our starting weapon(especially since weapons you craft yourself get a basic +10 to damage), but also requires upgraded Strength to wield. I can kind of see where the Wolf Hide goes into it, perhaps for wrapping the hilt, but what the hell is the booze for in the recipe? It's also worth noting that sword blanks and booze are all over the place, and a single broadsword sells for about four times as much as the three ingredients that make it up do together(actually about 200 gold without Haggling, I believe the "Gold Value" listed is what it costs to buy), so it's absolutely worth your time to hammer as many of your wolf skins as possible into these.

Since it's right next to the gates, I also decide to deal with the boars. This is probably the grimmest beginner quest in Gothic 3, there are FOUR boars, and just TWO of them is a hard ask until we're a good deal stronger. How do we deal with these?

Well, there's an orcish patrol camping out about a hundred feet away, just barely out of aggro range...

I plunk an arrow into one boar and get the entire pack charging towards me. It takes a bit of work since they really want to return to their camp, but I eventually manage to train them towards the orcs.

A weird quirk of Gothic 3 is that NPC vs NPC combat has different calculations to PC vs NPC combat, with NPC's doing massively lowered damage to each other. They'll eventually kill each other, but it'll take a lot longer, which allows you to more easily save friendly NPC's...

...and it also makes it a lot easier to killsteal! Thanks for the help, gang.
:orks: Any time, Morra, good thing we were here when those boars decided to randomly attack you completely unprovoked.

And then because I don't plan to wait to get paid, I run down into Reddock and wake up Brenton in the middle of the night for my money. :v:

Dude, it's like 5am.
Yes? And?
Normal people are asleep at this hour.
Sleep... huh... I think I did that once, like a week ago.

It hasn't been a week in-game yet, but unlike in Gothic 2 where Sleep was an important way to cheaply recover your health and mana, in Gothic 3 it's a lot easier because food items now often don't recover a fixed amount, but instead a percentage. For instance, I can turn meat from deer and other animals into roast meat, I'm drowning in it just dropping every deer that wanders into bow range, in fact, and each chunk of roast meat recovers not 20 health, but 20% health, so at any stage of the game, out of combat, five of those will fully heal me. And with no real fatigue mechanic... yeah, I kind of forget to sleep a lot. :v:

It also helps that Gothic 3 night is never quite as dark as Gothic 2 night, you can still navigate, and foliage obstructs less important stuff you want to see.

Huh, a dude sleeping by the road, next to a smashed up wagon. Waking him up would probably be a dick move. ... ... ... lmao wake up, sleeping beauty.

Also I was loving sleeping, goddamn, dude.
All of what's gone?
The lamp oil I was transporting to Ardea. Well, that's my life ruined.
Unless a random traveller with poor impulse control decides that helping you out is a fun thing to do. What happened?
Ortega's bandits, that's what. Stole my lamp oil, and everything else but the clothes on my back, and then smashed up the wagon to boot.
Well, hang on here for like... a day. Yeah, gimme a day. We'll see what happens.

I always have trouble finding Ortega's cave, so I end up wandering the area a bit, murdering wildlife, while I look for it.

...a Rhino? Myrtana's supposed to be temperate and vaguely European. I should do my civic duty and deal with invasive species before they threaten the local ecology more than I do.

Rhinos take a lot of arrowing to kill at this stage, but like other wildlife, as long as they're on their own, boulders are effective weapons against them. Check out how many arrows are stuck in the big boy. They also yield expensive horns.

Slightly past the rhino is a steep cliff, but if I lean over it and look along it, I can see a strange glow. This is because just about every second cave mouth in Gothic 3 is surrounded by odd, glowing crystals, which definitely helps make them easier to make out, especially when it's dark.

The hardest part of getting down to the cave mouth is that the hollow in front of it contains like eight wolves or something, and wolves are absolutely the nastiest enemy so far.

I set one of the guards on fire and then hack his buddy down, opening up the way deeper in.

The cave contains something like twelve or fifteen enemies, so the solution is generally to lure them out of the cave and beat their asses outdoors where their buddies can't help them.

I eventually run out of normal arrows and start testing out another type of arrow: Headknock Arrows. They often get knockdowns on enemies, and do a bit more damage than normal ones, but if you "kill" an enemy with them, it KO's them harmlessly, leaving them on the ground, slowly recovering to half health... during which you can loot them and/or finish them off like if you had KO'd someone in Gothic 2. The knockdown effect can be really handy when juggling multiple enemies, since you can often keep two of them off their feet at once, without letting them close with you.

Gothic 3 caves are a lot more spacious and well-lit than Gothic 2 caves. Ortega's cave starts out as a T-intersection, with a ledge "above" the T housing multiple bandits with crossbows and bad attitudes. To the left is a small storeroom with the first of Iomar's crates of lamp oil, to the right...

Is Ortega's little throne room that loops around to the ledge.

After clearing out the worst goons, I start targeting Ortega himself. Being completely out of arrows at this point, I start bringing out the scrolls and... it looks so goofy. In Gothic 2, using a scroll looked like using a rune, but in Gothic 3 it leaves you with a big cartoon scroll hovering over your hand that's constantly spitting out glimmery spell effects.

Lightning Strike thankfully works even indoors, and blasts off about half of Ortega's health. He and his tougher bodyguards, "medium bandits," are wearing the big beetle-man armors that some of the rebels also wear, but it doesn't make them notably sturdier than the "light bandits."

I kick the bandits' asses so hard one of them somehow ends up getting lodged in the ground with only his boots sticking out.

And another one of them turns incorporeal, forcing me to kill a ghost.

Bandits are my favourite people. Steal something once? You're a thief. Steal something twice? No one gives a drat, they do all the hard work and I get all the money.

One last bandits hangs out by the campfire. Enemy archers supporting enemy melee can be a danger, but unlike in Gothic 2, solo enemy archers' arrows are effortlessly sidestepped, or the right tempo of counter-fire can flinch them out of getting to fire any arrows at you, since each flinch resets their firing animation.

Nice place to camp out, chilling out alongside the corpses with all my new gold.

One QoL improvement in Gothic 3 that I dearly love is being able to batch-craft stuff, it makes crafting something you actually want to engage with and use rather than something you do your best to avoid.

Iomar gives us some XP, and it boosts our rep in Cape Dun, we want something like 90 rep there so we can talk to Uruk, the orc leader. If we talk to Bufford and Cyrus back in Cape Dun, they also give us even more XP for it and a bit of extra gold.

Back in Cape Dun, we're at about 60 rep and need two more things to get there. The first one is to clear out some Hungry Wolves around Cape Dun for Bufford. I handled most of them already, but a couple of them are sneakily hidden around the side of the palisade.

Looking for wolves to murder. You?
Uhhhhhh, I'm an alchemist, looking for plants. You got any meat?
Meat?
I've been so obsessed with looking for plants that I've forgotten to eat.
Sure, you can have some meat. Sure you're not a starving escaped slave?
What would be the odds of that?

That's obviously what Harek is. We can bring him to Gamal in Cape Dun or bring him five feet down the road to Jens where Gamal will somehow never find him. Either of them gives us a reward, with Gamal giving more XP and Jens giving more training options.

The three wolves up here were surprisingly tough to take down, but on my third try, I got a surprise helping hand.

Harek decided to fistfight the third wolf barehanded, giving me some space to take it down. :v:

The next thing I need is to clear out the arena for the last bit of guilt-free Cape Dun rep needed to get a chat with Uruk.

You wish to challenge the gauntlet of the Cape Dun arena? You think you can defeat all my champions? Fool! Step into the arena and be cut apart like a pig!
...dude, chill.
Sorry, I just get so excited sometimes. Have a good time.
Yeah, I'll try, line me up an opponent.

I defeat Fadi, but he almost kicks my rear end, so I figure that if I want to handle the rest of the arena contestants, I'm gonna need a gear upgrade and some more levels. I head off and buy a Rapier, a Hunting Skill-based melee weapon slightly better than my default Orc Slayer, then decide to go poke at some caves.

Oh and of course I go through Fadi's pockets and steal his sword while he's on his back. :v:

In the forest slightly north of Reddock, there's this cave you'll probably notice only because of the glowy crystals since the foliage mostly obscures it.

Motherfucker. Can we pick a different cave? Please?

Get over it and kill that giant bug.

Minecrawlers are grosser than ever, now being weirdly... meaty, rather than being hard-carapaced creatures. They're also odd in that they're animals but they can use their forelimbs to block like an armed opponent.

It's also guarding a bit of loot. Poisoned weapons do a decent amount of damage slowly over time, but for ???? reasons, you only apply the poison to the target with the clunky lunge attack that's marginally more useful than the normal power attack due to its increased range.

There are a LOT of skeletons in here(the dead kind).

Possibly because of the giant iguana-like lizards. They're a lot less dangerous than in Gothic 2 where I couldn't reliably take them down until like halfway through the game, in part because they were often in huge packs.

Beats fighting Minecrawlers, I'm fine with this.

How and why did so many people die down here? Rebels? Miners? They all seemed to be armed...

A chest down here also has yet another speical arrow: exploding arrows. I like all these types of projectiles. Sadly this is only for bows, crossbows only have normal bolts.

There are also cave goblins down here. These mixed "ecologies" in caves always puzzle me a bit. You've got goblins, lizards and minecrawlers, all of which appear to be aggressive carnivores/omnivores. Do they not attack each other? Do the goblins sneak past the other two to get outside? Do the lizards live off mushrooms except when we're here? I'd have loved to see goblins riding lizards and minecrawlers like mounts.

Myrtanan goblins also seem to be more primitive than Khorinis goblins, none of them wear armor or clothes, unlike black and warrior goblins back on Khorinis.

Also that message tells us this is actually Reddock's back entrance. :v:

Oddly enough this is where the Reddock teleporter rune is, too.

Sweet, now I can take longer breaks. Thanks man.

Still not sure I can take more arena combatants, I also head for this cave down the side of the cliff Cape Dun is built on top of.

I remember the first time I played Gothic 3, stumbled into this cave below the first real town I came into. Sure, a couple goblins, we can handle that, right?

Oh, cool, and minecrawlers. Love minecrawlers. My favourite creature that totally doesn't creep me the gently caress out.

The first snakes in Gothic's history which are... probably the least dangerous creatures in the game. They can't even bite you and poison you. They're worth XP, but I have my limits. I won't kill turtles and snakes unless they're a danger to me.

Speaking of things that are a danger to me!

You mean things that are a danger to me. How about we don't piss off the ogres?

Ha ha, no.

It amuses me for some reason, how the ogres never break eye contact as they strafe around the corner to get to me.

I notice they aren't dying as quickly as humans or goblins.

Start running.

Yeah, it doesn't work, I don't hand out damage fast enough, the ogres have long reach with those big hammers and long arms, and they don't flinch as much as everyone else does. Still, I decide to give it another try.

Just gotta be patient, keep distance, and-

Been nice knowing you, chief.

...I'm alive?

Even half this fall would've been instant death in Gothic 2. Of course, I'm still in the middle of like ten goblins. Time to run!

Thankfully there's a ground-level exit at the foot of the cliffs, hidden in a crevice full of Lurkers.

So after running out past everyone else, I fight my way back in. We can clown on this stupid cave.

Stupid goblins, stupid lurkers. Look what you made me do. Now, if there's nothing worse in here but those ogres, I think we can do this...

Also the last pairs of weapon bundles we need are lying down here, for some reason.

And this is when I discover the bottom of the cave has a loving dragon in it.

No, what the gently caress?

Yeah, what was an end-game boss in the last game is now just hanging out at the bottom of what may well be the very first cave you stumble into, in Gothic 3.

gently caress this, we're leaving. I'd rather get hacked apart in the arena.

I'm ready to battle my way to the top, give me the next step on my road to greatn-
Well, while you were away, everyone else hacked each other up. It's just you and the champion.
...really?
No, I didn't actually have anyone else. Go get him, tiger.

Cape Dun's arena only has two people for you to fight. :v: It sounds like a lot more the first time you talk to Arokkh, plus there are like six guys standing around watching and looking like someone you might have to battle.

It's a loss for you if you ring-out, but not a win for you if you ring-out your opponent.

Our reward for winning, aside from a rep bonus, is a Broadsword. The same kind we can craft ourselves from the start of the game. Except the one we can craft from the start of the game is better because of the self-crafting bonus. :v: Whatever, let's go check in with Bufford.

Are you kidding? The orcs love you, man. You've been killing wolves, bringing stuff for people, entertaining everyone in the arena, you killed Ortega. You're the best thing to happen to us.
Phew, I was worried I'd have had to do something morally dubious to get their approval.
Ha ha, same. I just fetched Arokkh's coffee for a month before they liked me enough to put me in charge.
Alright, time to see Uruk, I bet he's a nice and understanding guy. For an orc.

:orks: Sure, I can't see what could be wrong with that, you're one of the good ones, Morra.

And you're the orc with the big throne of skulls.
Eh, it's part of the job, you get used to it. Ready to help us win this war?
I'm open to the idea, let's say. What's up?
Well, we've got to crush the rebels in Reddock and in Cape Dun.
...in Cape Dun?
Yeah, they've got some sort of undercover rebel network here. We need to flush them out.
And Reddock?
We haven't been able to find the drat place.
...I think I could do it. By the way, can I go bully that paladin Gamal told me you had captured up in the lighthouse?
Sure. I can't get anything out of him. Maybe you could waterboard him or something. Lemme know if you want in on the whole crushing the rebellion thing.
Will do, this time I'm not giving the thread an option C.

Hmmm... I bet I could get myself one of these if I helped the orcs. It's got good lumbar support. But is this really what I want? What if I want to live in a hole and listen to paladins instead? If only some group of discorporated voices could decide for me...

VOTE

Now we've seen both groups, it's time to make a choice.

A: Stick with the rebels because we love dirt and paladins and don't like slavery.
B: Go with the orcs because they're marginally more competent, let the slaves smoke weed and because we're tired of paladin bullshit.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B. Paladins suck, do what you can to spite them.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

PurpleXVI posted:

A: Stick with the rebels because we love dirt and paladins and don't like slavery.

More importantly, Orcs have a higher XP value and there are more of them to kill.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BraveLittleToaster posted:

B. Paladins suck, do what you can to spite them.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

EricFate posted:

More importantly, Orcs have a higher XP value and there are more of them to kill.

Gotta maximise the gains.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
B because it’s the more unusual path. Siding with the rebels is so passé.

It’s odd to me that despite apparently enslaving people, the orc’s depiction is really mild?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A. Get that orc xp.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Keldulas posted:

B because it’s the more unusual path. Siding with the rebels is so passé.

It’s odd to me that despite apparently enslaving people, the orc’s depiction is really mild?

It's been a while since I last got far into Gothic 3, but as I recall it(and we'll see if I recall correctly), the orcs' slaves are less "chattel slavery" and generally more "prisoners of war put to work." Though there are absolutely some more racist orcs who insist that every human must have an orcish owner. It perversely makes the orcs more, uh, humane, than the humans, since as I recall it humans never take orcish prisoners and instead cut them down to the last greenskin.

The people in the setting who have institutionalized chattel slavery of other humans are, perhaps unsurprisingly, other humans, and Myrtana definitely used lots of penal labour

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There are orc slaves in the mines of Gothic 1! But also this is the first game with orcs that aren't just dumb screaming apes so comparisons are always going to be sketchy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't it a bit early to side with a faction?

Why is the holding the bow wrong?!?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Poil posted:

Isn't it a bit early to side with a faction?

Why is the holding the bow wrong?!?

Faction allegiance is very much per region. It's entirely possible to pick a different side for every major town in the game.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

PurpleXVI posted:

Faction allegiance is very much per region. It's entirely possible to pick a different side for every major town in the game.

Uhh no it's not, at all. But you can play both sides to an extent.

Maybe so if by a region you mean Varant/Myrtana/Nordmar.

You can also finish the game if you piss off every faction I think, but it kindof locks you into it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Uhh no it's not, at all. But you can play both sides to an extent.

Maybe so if by a region you mean Varant/Myrtana/Nordmar.

You can also finish the game if you piss off every faction I think, but it kindof locks you into it.

What I mean is that while there is a "global" faction favour tracker, there are also local faction favour trackers, and kicking the orcs out of Cape Dun or the rebels out of Reddock won't make every other Orc or Rebel settlement hate us on sight. As I recall it, it isn't until you've crushed the rebellion three times, or booted the orcs out of three settlements, that the side you've pissed off hates you on sight.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Because Paladins suck

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
B because humans sends their prisoners to mines and orcs let their slaves smoke weed and have breaks.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

PurpleXVI posted:

What I mean is that while there is a "global" faction favour tracker, there are also local faction favour trackers, and kicking the orcs out of Cape Dun or the rebels out of Reddock won't make every other Orc or Rebel settlement hate us on sight. As I recall it, it isn't until you've crushed the rebellion three times, or booted the orcs out of three settlements, that the side you've pissed off hates you on sight.

While that's true taking over settlements means you might not be able to get enough global reputation for everything with a given faction, affecting the Innos path in particular.

The local reputation isn't really faction-locked either, it's just "reputation in the area". I don't think it's reset on takeover, but I could be wrong, it's been a long time.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Szarrukin posted:

B because humans sends their prisoners to mines and orcs let their slaves smoke weed and have breaks.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
A.

This update really showcases why I bounced hard off Gothic 3: you're never fighting, you're constantly just cheesing your opponents. Once I managed to defeat a bunch of boars after who knows how many attempts I realised that's going to be it. This is going to be the game. Climbing rocks and exploiting fast attack stunlocks. I realised I don't want to be doing that for the next however many hours and quit.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

A.

This update really showcases why I bounced hard off Gothic 3: you're never fighting, you're constantly just cheesing your opponents. Once I managed to defeat a bunch of boars after who knows how many attempts I realised that's going to be it. This is going to be the game. Climbing rocks and exploiting fast attack stunlocks. I realised I don't want to be doing that for the next however many hours and quit.

Oh, uh, yeah, this next update is going to have a downright comical example of that.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Szarrukin posted:

+1

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, uh, yeah, this next update is going to have a downright comical example of that.

Given how much of that was in the last LP, and it was, relatively speaking, not that bad...

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

At a risk of spoilers and based on my foggy memory there are 3 different endings to the game, one of which requires siding with the rebels in major decisions like takeovers. The other two (including arguably the "canon" one) don't really care about factions.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 24, 2023

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Szarrukin posted:

Not all of them do. Some orcs run their slave camps like extermination camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Private Speech posted:

At a risk of spoilers and based on my foggy memory there are 3 different endings to the game, one of which requires siding with the rebels in major decisions like takeovers. The other two (including arguably the "canon" one) don't really care about factions.

Well, I assume what it's actually tied to is faction score, so if at the last moment, everyone goes: "Hmmm, we regret everything we've done so far." I figure I can probably just use a console command to fix that.