Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Cessna posted:

I'd like to maybe do something to help with veteran's causes - stuff like more funding for the VA. I'd also like to feel like I'm not the only veteran in this city without surrounding myself with the sort of people who unironically wear "VETERAN" hats, if that makes any sense.

My first thought was organizations like the American Legion or VFW, but I strongly suspect they're MAGA.

Any ideas?

There isn't. At least I haven't found anything yet.

I've heard that there are mythical VFW/American legion chapters that aren't hardcore right wing. The closest I have found is the occasional post exclusively populated by extremely old vets waiting to die.

I know that sounds bad, but it is the only way I can describe these dying chapters.

I would be open to joining a new organization if such a thing exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bird food bathtub posted:

You are not kidding about the 'waiting to die' VFWs. The one that I went to there was nobody under, like, 60, and it was a [i]rough[/] 60 at that. I didn't even stay around to find out how far right wing they were. It was before MAGA hats and Trump flags made that easy to figure out.

I tried at my local VFW. The white elephant gift exchange was almost exclusively booze or Trump paraphernalia.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Queer Grenadier posted:

Sources for this claim (bolded) above?

A quick google shows an incident in which 1800 vets were exposed to it: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/30/va.hospital.hiv/index.html#:~:text=(CNN)%20%2D%2D%20A%20Missouri%20VA,such%20as%20hepatitis%20and%20HIV.

In February, a Georgia VA had patients test positive for HIV after having non sterilised surgical instruments being used, 4000 exposed: https://www.walb.com/2022/02/26/pure-devastation-va-center-reports-positive-hepatitis-hiv-tests-due-unsterilized-equipment/

Those were the top two hits on a google search for "VA gives HIV to vets". No one is hiding this, it is easy to confirm. These stories are a constant, not the "rare exception". It has become so common place I don't think the news even gives it a segment anymore. I don't remember hearing about the February incident.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mr. Nice! posted:

These types of things are common in medicine generally, but lawsuits and such over it are usually quietly settled with NDAs.

Yes, the VA has issues and you get disparate care sometimes depending on the region you’re in. However, the issues they have are US medical issues that occur outside of the VA, too, at similar frequency.

The VA gave me a staph infection on the back of my head because they didn’t change the bedding or pillow or something before I got an endoscopy. When I talked to a medmal expert, I was told that this is so common in all hospitals it isn’t even considered negligence.

I agree that crazy poo poo happens in medical settings on the regular, VA or not.

But the guy I was replying to seemed rather shocked that the VA was providing vets with an additional opportunity to die for their country. As if the stories about vets dying in waiting rooms, getting additional infections/diseases, and receiving generally sub par care was a wild accusation and not something that has been in the media so much that they stopped reporting on it.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bulletsponge13 posted:

VA treatment varies drastically by treatment team, not just facilities or states.

I think this is the issue. Even within the VA itself, there are a bunch of different groups with different standards held together by yet even more different groups with different priorities.

I will say that the work I did with the crisis hotline guys was a vastly different experience than working with other groups within the VA. The hotline guys where possibly the most motivated/dedicated group I have ever worked with.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Arione posted:

Pretty sure enlisting alone proved I was a dumbfuck. But at least I dont go around asking for commie clubs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Maybe you should read the thread some. People aren't looking for "commie clubs", just organisations that aren't MAGA hats from wall to wall filled with people simply waiting to die as they extol the virtues of Trump.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bulletsponge13 posted:

YOU came in here spewing dumb poo poo.
YOU came in here, didn't read the loving thread, and ran your mouth about poo poo you had no idea what you are talking about.
YOU are the one who started spewing Right Wing diatribe instead of taking the ten minutes to read the less than 50 posts asking where we can avoid the exact poo poo you came in here with.

YOU came in here and started the argument, you thin skinned piece of poo poo. You are acting exactly like the people we want to avoid because you are too stupid and narrow minded to bother learning, and would rather regurgitate whatever Tucker Carlson told you was bad.

How about this- you give us YOUR definition of what you think we mean by Leftist. You explain your definition of what Comminism is, and what you think ANTIFA is.

Don't bother with them.

I don't know what their shtick is, but it went out of style in the early 2000's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

FrozenVent posted:

Calling us an organization is a stretch.

It’s like saying an upended bag of flour in a dirty above ground pool is a pastry.

Hey now, I resemble that remark.