Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The crafting system employs 350 different materials that can be combined using a randomly selected set from over a billion procedurally generated recipes into more than TEN different tools and recovery items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You're stalked through the halls of a spooky insane asylum by an evil clown but there's a twist: you cannot run very fast because you have two broken legs.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Can we slow down a nursery rhyme, maybe have it played on an old xylophone or something? Yeah, there we go.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Twitch integration broadcasts an increasingly protracted series of racial slurs every time you die.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Applewhite posted:

You're stalked through the halls of a spooky insane asylum by an evil clown but there's a twist: you cannot run very fast because you have two broken legs.

That's a great idea, turning that into a plot point. Because, let's face it, running very fast was never on the table.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The real monster is capitalism.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You wake up in the forest and discover you're being stalked by the latest meme monster: Gramophone Face. Gramophone Face is public domain so we don't owe any royalties even though the creator of Gramophone Face is known and has publicly requested that people not monetize the character.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
There's an evil presence, a spectre called Earl Access

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You know that smiling clown phone with the wheels? What if it were evil and chased you?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I found my old hard drive with the 4000 X-files .wavs. Would it be legal to use them? Only one way to find out

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A Fancy Hat posted:

Can we slow down a nursery rhyme, maybe have it played on an old xylophone or something? Yeah, there we go.

Three Blind Mice… in a minor key!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Despite using the most up-to-date photorealistic 3d engine with fully-modelled mouth movements that can be auto generated from a text script, any interaction between characters pauses the game and has text and action delivered by static anime headshots in a classic visual novel layout.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Your character is a serial killer undergoing a new treatment that traps you inside a maze in your own mind and you are stalked by creepy, mutated versions of all your victims. You must reach the center of your mind to wake up and be cured.

(You don't know this at first but piece it together from clues scattered through the game)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You wake up on an abandoned research vessel in stormy weather. The hull constantly creaks and the floor is always bobbing and swaying. You can reduce the swaying effect by taking Dramamine pills. You need to reach the lifeboats but a mysterious, evil clown has different plans for you...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The writer has compiled a 1500 page mythos bible for the setting, but the lead dev is only using 3 of the characters and two locations because they think it's better to concentrate on a small story.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You are an old man who has to escape from a world full of hypersexualised young people and a frankly disturbing amount of scatological situations that the lead artist is weirdly into.

At the end your character wakes up after their prostate surgery.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You're stalked through the halls of a creepy, victorian hospital by an evil clown that constantly jabbers in cutting room audio of Justin Roiland ad libbing.

There are over 20,000 hours of audio and while the jabbering grows fainter when the clown is further away, it never goes completely away. You must escape the hospital before the clown's constant babbling drives you (the player) insane.

You have a box of matches and a claymore anti-personnel mine. You can replenish health by smoking cigarettes you light with the matches.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I've figured out how to have the player's line of sight trigger events and I'm about to go hog wild.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

You are an old man who has to escape from a world full of hypersexualised young people and a frankly disturbing amount of scatological situations that the lead artist is weirdly into.

At the end your character wakes up after their prostate surgery.

Being old, you cannot run very fast or jump very high.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
To escape you have to climb a single flight of stairs but the osteoporosis mechanic makes this a massive hassle

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

You wake up from routine dental surgery to find that you have no teeth, and you must find them. Theres something strange going on, as the dentist's office seems to change into something darker, more "sinister", as the character notes. Then, just when you found a safe place, you catch a glimpse of a clown in the corner of a mirror in the bathroom (where you save the game).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You are the janitor at a junior high school where every night the classroom wall displays come to life!

Can you survive the nights full of oddly sexualised historical figures and weird abominations from children's drawings, and still leave the school shiny and clean in the morning?

It will later turn out that the devs stole code from power wash simulator for a number of the minigames.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

You wake up inside an insane asylum. Painted on the walls is the repeating phrase "HE IS A LIAR".

At the end of the game you discover that you, in fact, are the liar. You were the former director of the insane asylum and the patients actually locked you up and escaped. You escape into the outside world and discover that, truly, the lunatics are in charge.

Also you were a liar to your wife, who you cheated on before burning down the house you lived in for the insurance money. This is all revealed through journal entries.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

You're on the way to the ER because you're having chest pain.

But you don't have medical insurance

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
you return to your elementary school to find a clue to unlocking your past, but the windows are all boarded up. you break in and must evade an evil clown while navigating between rooms to get around inexplicably barricaded hallways, finding fragments of art projects you made as a child that look like drawings of a family but the dad's face is just a black swirl and in red crayon above him the word "WHY" is scrawled but with a backwards y.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The sphincter minigame comes up every 2 minutes where you have solve a little butt puzzle or you poo poo your pants from fright for -5hp

The clown's laugh when you fail is super annoying

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

You wake up inside the world's largest doll museum, where the dolls are rumored to be haunted. As you navigate the hallways (some might even call them dollways) of the building, you discover the secret history of the building. It used to be an insane asylum, and the worst patient of all was a woman who killed her children and then started talking to a bunch of dolls like they were her kids.

You encounter another person in the museum, Ann, who is definitely not the spirit of that woman inhabiting a giant doll. So get that out of your mind immediately.

Anyway as you navigate the depths of the doll museum you discover old journals that reveal that the woman in the asylum was also named Anna and she performed strange rituals that she said would allow her to come back to life as a doll.

At that point Anna attacks you and reveals she's a giant doll and is indeed the spirit of the woman in the asylum. I know I said before she wasn't, but that was just a misdirect for optimum horror.

naem
May 29, 2011

option a:

a lovingly handcrafted highly original game experience using older technology on purpose by a team of guys for whom this is a passion project, that they spent 7 years of the free time on while starting careers and raising families, that no one notices and is quickly forgotten and buried on some obscure online service

option b:

a copy paste clone of an existing unpopular generic game involving hallways reskinned with different lighting that is inexplicably wildly, wildly popular with gen Z who make it into a core cultural memory

some random RAAWR sound effect that gets looped badly becomes a beloved meme and for the the next 20 years the RAAWR loop evokes nostalgia and is used constantly in advertising to everyone under 40

“RAAWR!” says adult gen z to their own children years from now as they tuck them into bed at night, chuckling, with no need to explain the cultural reference

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A Fancy Hat posted:

You wake up inside an insane asylum. Painted on the walls is the repeating phrase "HE IS A LIAR".

At the end of the game you discover that you, in fact, are the liar. You were the former director of the insane asylum and the patients actually locked you up and escaped. You escape into the outside world and discover that, truly, the lunatics are in charge.

Also you were a liar to your wife, who you cheated on before burning down the house you lived in for the insurance money. This is all revealed through journal entries.

I like it, but where are the clowns?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We have inverted the traditional survival horror mould and instead developed a whole new model in which you are a powerful strong threat and must go through a level destroying all of the mildly threatening opponents who will leave you alone if you don't get too close to them.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

by the end of the game it turns out that your ai partner who appears from time to time to console the player and offer cryptic advice is actually a hallucination implanted in your brain by a hypnosis clown

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I've taken a clown model and stretched it out so its limbs are all long and creepy. He can reach really far. I call him "Mr. Giggles" and basically he stalks you through the entire game. He can also move through CRT screens.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Junk posted:

by the end of the game it turns out that your ai partner who appears from time to time to console the player and offer cryptic advice is actually a hallucination implanted in your brain by a hypnosis clown

read this as offering crypto advice and that's a lot more terrifying tbh so maybe go with that one

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

read this as offering crypto advice and that's a lot more terrifying tbh so maybe go with that one

You are trapped in an abandoned and condemned crypto-themed restaurant and being stalked by apes.

But one of the apes is a clown.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The game takes place in an abandoned factory and there is absolutely no light in the game. You navigate the pitch blackness by throwing an infinite supply of bolts and listening for its impact to judge distance and material. But beware, because every time you make noise the evil clown hones in on your position. Winner of the 2023 BAFTA award for innovation as the first pc game designed to be played without a monitor.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Danger - Octopus! posted:

the game's exe takes up all available resources to secretly mine crypto for the author, but you agreed to it in the EULA so tough tits

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Stuff falls off the wall or moves across the room and sometimes you hear children giggling but there isn't any ghosts

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

You pick up the Blue Candle. You think, "Ah gently caress another loving indie circlejerk easter egg item. What does the blue candle do in Isaac again? Ughhh why doesn't the item screen tell you what the item does, now I have to use the crummy fandom wiki."

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Come join our dev livestream on twitch where Ingvald, our morbidly obese game director wearing a too-tight t-shirt and rocking blue tips on his greasy hair and Brittany, a female intern our publisher sent over, play through the intro of our new game Haunted Cafeteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No health recovery. Your health bar is measured by the amount of fingernails your character has chewed. There is a mechanic to look at your hands, but your character likes putting on falsies and gloves in every cutscene so you better be paying attention.