Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

the clues you pick up are all photos or vhs tape home movies of a family living a really, really comfortable lifestyle

the nostalgia of it being set in the past or the spooky “what happened” feeling is offset by the fact this suburban home has as much square footage inside as a walmart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I'm going to make a map that is the inside of a house but I'm not going to look at any pictures of floorplans or even the inside of my own house to have any idea of how wide a typical hallway is or how large rooms should be or what furniture typically goes in what room, feeling confident enough to just wing it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The people who owned this house were reasonably rich, so everywhere looks like the inside of Trump tower.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

naem posted:

the clues you pick up are all photos or vhs tape home movies of a family living a really, really comfortable lifestyle

the nostalgia of it being set in the past or the spooky “what happened” feeling is offset by the fact this suburban home has as much square footage inside as a walmart

If the evil clown is chasing you, just interact with the VCR in the living to watch the vhs tape. He goes away while you enjoy watching grainy video of happier times.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Just realized I could save a ton of development time if instead of having the player click the doors to open them I just put them on a hinge and the player can use their body to push the doors open.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

No guns they detract from the STORY

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You wake up in an abandoned skate park that goes on forever.

There are bikes, skateboards and rollerblades lying around all over.

Somewhere out there is an evil clown with a sniper rifle that will start shooting at you if you don't constantly keep him entertained with sick stunts.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

there is a Transistor Radio and it is Important

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Haven’t figured out the details of the story yet but the twist at the end is that the player killed his family and all the letters and news clippings I put in the game are actually about the player. Think it will really blow some minds.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Haven’t figured out the details of the story yet but the twist at the end is that the player killed his family and all the letters and news clippings I put in the game are actually about the player. Think it will really blow some minds.

The evil clown is YOU!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I’m going to put several newspaper stories in the game but I don’t think it’s necessary to look at what real newspapers look like or study how news is actually reported. This stock newspaper image should be convincing enough and I assume the news only uses people’s first names.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The clown isn’t really evil he’s just misunderstood, and the reason he’s chasing you around is that he’s trying to tell you your whole family is dead.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Your in a seemingly endless library at night and you need to find the 10 characters in the evil clown's true name* in random library books to banish them before they catch you. You can tell the books that will have one of the letter as they are RED! (there are also other red books that don't have letters, but we wanted to keep all the books only one of the primary colors as it makes it a lot easy to copy and paste the books onto all the shelves, we wanted to be realistic and as libraries have about 100'000 books usually, that seemed the only way to do that. It does make the game pretty hard. I don't think anyones beaten it yet, but games were meant to be hard!

*(the evil clown's true name is evil clown (space is one of one of the characters!)).

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
scream.wav should work for any and all screams in the game

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

it's not lazy it's a reference

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Yo my VHS filter isn't working bro!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Breaking new ground, but metroidvania elements

naem
May 29, 2011

*flashbacks to the victorian era feature VHS filter*

naem fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 14, 2023

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Deki posted:

Ok, get this. The bad guys, they're like... things kids liked when I was a kid, but *scary*. I'm thinking legally distinct Furbies chase the player down in an abandoned Toy store.

My son played the poo poo out of that game, I had to sit through many boring walking throughs he found on YouTube.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Coulrophobia

You and your friends play cooperatively investigating haunted locations for signs of evil clowns. Fright as whoopie cushions echo down a dark hallway. Startle as the houseplant on the table suddenly squirts you with water. Feel the tickle of dread as you open an ordinary closet and realize the shoes inside are comically too large. One player must spend the entire session in a game menu trying to figure out what kind of clown is haunting the building based on clues gathered by their friends who are actually able to play the game. Investigate notes left around the building to discover the clown’s name, and chant it incessantly as you try to get the games audio detection to register that you have said “Pringles the Clown” three times in front of the bathroom mirror on the third floor in order to make him appear.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Bramble posted:

Coulrophobia

You and your friends play cooperatively investigating haunted locations for signs of evil clowns. Fright as whoopie cushions echo down a dark hallway. Startle as the houseplant on the table suddenly squirts you with water. Feel the tickle of dread as you open an ordinary closet and realize the shoes inside are comically too large. One player must spend the entire session in a game menu trying to figure out what kind of clown is haunting the building based on clues gathered by their friends who are actually able to play the game. Investigate notes left around the building to discover the clown’s name, and chant it incessantly as you try to get the games audio detection to register that you have said “Pringles the Clown” three times in front of the bathroom mirror on the third floor in order to make him appear.

"Ok guys, it looks like we're dealing with a Punchinello here... They're enraged by prideful behavior so one of us is going to have to act like a wealthy merchant to draw him out..."

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Applewhite posted:

"Ok guys, it looks like we're dealing with a Punchinello here... They're enraged by prideful behavior so one of us is going to have to act like a wealthy merchant to draw him out..."

Our Discord community and kickstarter supporters keep demanding we make Arlecchino sexier.

Should we stick to our artistic vision, give the fans what they want, or make it a DLC?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I already made a full nude version with various sex animations and outfits in my free time that's in the game files. Sounds like DLC to me.

naem
May 29, 2011

what if the victorian era only, meat hooks

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
"poo poo! Guys! The Mime has me trapped in a box! Aaaaaaaaah! AAAAAAA—" [audio cracks]

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

adding in some rogue-like elements

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

It's procedurally generated so really it has infinite replay value. You never know what configuration it's going to slap together the three prefab rooms I've made!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The game requires $5 to continue past the first level due to an unkillable monster that requires a $5 item to kill.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I really need something that will make my haunted house game stand out. I think having it be a really large skyrim sized map. I've checked and I think I should be able to strech all the corridors out really far, so I think if I use maybe two dozen corridors I can call it a 30 hr game. Then all I need to put some batteries scattered about for the five minute flash light and an evil clown and done!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
at one point you are chased by a dog in a suit

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
youre trying to buy a digital video game online but the only games that come up are hentai or hitler bdsm rooms

you want to eat a twinkie but as you eat it you get fatter and depressed and the only way to relieve the depression is to eat a twinkie

there are several romanceable characters but they all reject you and laugh. if you dont try to date, all the other characters will shun you

you buy a house and you find centipedes in every room. human centipedes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Everyone you kill speaks as a human but is a demon. The game revolves around killing the most menacing demons. But they slowly becomes more human. Eventually you face the final boss which is actually yourself.

The game ends with a $5 full page Wikipedia donation jump scare

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You play as Adolf Hitler and you awaken to find yourself locked and chained up in a dungeon. All around you can see various implements of torture. The object of the game is to survive the various tortures the player goes through. From having their nipples tweaked to being whipped while you have a ball gag in your mouth. Can Hitler survive this nightmare?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
you are chased not by the slenderman

but a short fat woman

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Alan Smithee posted:

you are chased not by the slenderman

but a short fat woman

Names Karyn'theall

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
One clown always knows where you are but he's slow. The other clown has no idea where you are but he's quick.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Extra row of tits posted:

My son played the poo poo out of that game, I had to sit through many boring walking throughs he found on YouTube.

Huh. I didn't realize there was actually a game like that, I was just riffing on FNAF and the infinite knockoffs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Your on one end of a sea saw resting over a void, an evil clown is on the other. In the middle of the seesaw is the exit door. If the seasaw goes to far from horizontal you'll fall off. You see If you go for the exit door faster than the evil clown goes towards you, it will overbalance and you both fall. if you go at the same speed you'll get there at the same time, to slow you fall. I'll call the game "war games" cos I don't think anyone else will get this reference, but as I watch a lot of obscure 80's classic films. at the end of the film the main character is like "you can only win if you do not play". This game is the same. You can't win. You can just not play.

Hmmm, maybe the references is too obscure. I really don't think anyone else will get it. Yeah think I'll have to simplify it for people who don't have such vast cinematic tastes as me. Yeah' I'll just go with "Wargame: you can only win if you don't play". Then the title will be like education as I'll be like passing on my great knowledge of that lost classic.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I think the game is turning out really bad so I'm going to put some meme references in it so when everyone realizes it's bad they will think I made the game bad on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Don't worry about balancing anything. If players die constantly, that's just classic roguelike elements at work.