Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
ological aging get sped up too?

I watch enough space/science YouTube to keep hearing about how time works differently when you’re traveling really fast in space or really far or something and each time I try to have to explained to me, it never connects. And I’ve watched a few popular YouTube videos explaining how it works but it still makes 0 sense to me.

I trust GBS goons will be able to help me out and explain why a person in a rocket going really fast apparently ages faster/slower compared to the people on earth. Also is it possible to have someone go fast enough that they age slow enough to time warp into the future and only be a month older and the world 100 years in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's get slower op.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Wait slower for who? The rest of us or the person going fast?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
The person going fast

Time slows down the closer you get to the speed of light

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's all relative, op.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If someone had a really powerful and precise telescope that could follow your spaceship and look through the window as you zipped across the sky at close to the speed of light - to the person looking through the telescope you start to look like you're moving/aging/living in slow motion.

From your perspective, if you could look out the window and see what people are doing in cities and whatnot, everyone else seems to be moving normally.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 9, 2023

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The person going fast will appear to age slower to people who are not traveling that fast. To the person going fast it will appear they are aging at the same rate they always do.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

buglord posted:

Wait slower for who? The rest of us or the person going fast?

The person going fast. When you see the sun, you’re seeing it as it was 8 minutes ago because it takes that long for the photons to reach your eyes. Photons don’t really age because they are moving at the universe’s maximum speed limit. Picture a tiny man riding on a photon from the sun; by the time he arrives at your eyes you’ve aged 8 minutes during his journey while he essentially is exactly the same age as he was when he left.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
But what if I whip around this neutron star?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Sci-fi universes like Aliens that make FTL-traveling people enter cryostasis are doing it right, everyone else is doing it wrong

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The important part of the statement is "THAN". Faster or slower than a chosen second frame of reference/point of view. For you, nothing seems "faster" or "slower" with anything that is moving along with you (your spaceship, your brain/thoughts, the poop in your butt).

It's about how light is always measured to travel at the speed of light to ALL observers regardless of their own motion. Another way to interpret the math is to say that it's about differences in acceleration rather than velocities, if I'm remembering things correctly, but it's been a while since school. If you want a pretty thorough and step-by-step walkthrough of the math/principles, this guy's vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8G4VKoSpQ) is not bad. Some of it is feels like a narrated a wikipedia article, but seeing each step built up and the background of the then-accepted science plus it's paradoxes and problems can be very helpful for most people. If that fails, it will still be great as a sleep aid.

e: PBS' SpaceTime has some less mathy explainations and prettier graphs+graphics, but there isn't really a single video that explains everything, so it's hard to recommend a starting point. Maybe the first half of this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MfJ59lkABY

Roumba fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 9, 2023

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

If you were to fart butt rear end naked in space, the vacuum of space would take advantage of your open butthole and suck your innards out

Your innards and fart would be spread across the galaxy

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's because of the quantums, OP

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Light’s not even that fast. My dad can run way faster than light.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Time moves slower depending on how many old people are on the road

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Here's an interesting one: due to the expansion of space you can go faster than the speed of light away from things but not faster than the speed of light towards things!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It's all relative, OP. There's no such thing as an isolated "fast". You can only move fast in relation to something else.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Space and time are the same thing, so the faster you move through one the slower you move through the other since they add up to moving through the same total

this is correct

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

so what you're saying is if i run backwards long enough i'll turn into a baby

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
science is like

time is fake

then immediately they're like

okay but you really need to pretend time is a thing

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Light photons do not experience time. The universe begins and ends in an instant for a light photon.

Relative to you, time speeds up when you go fast, so when you hit the speed of light, the universe ends. That's why it's not possible to go faster than light speed.

I believe the other type of thing like this is entering a black hole. If you could somehow withstand the force of gravity to survive, the universe would end from your perspective as you entered it, and from the universe's perspective, you would appear to freeze in time right as you entered.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Never give up, never surrender

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

credburn posted:

science is like

time is fake

then immediately they're like

okay but you really need to pretend time is a thing

You don't gently caress with Big Time

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Listen, if you gotta ask, you can't afford it.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Time is different relative to outside observers but you will age the same relative to yourself. e.g. if you were traveling really fast in space for 10 years then you would age 10 years but people on earth might have aged 50 years.

e: this time dilation effect also happens with gravity like in Interstellar. The closer you are to the source of gravity, the slower time moves. So even on Earth if you and another person are born at the same time and then they live on a mountain while you live near the sea then you will be different ages as time passes.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 9, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I think it's like The Jaunt

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The person going fast. When you see the sun, you’re seeing it as it was 8 minutes ago

this is loving bullshit. i want to see the sun now

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

yo what if you set up a camera like from the sun with like, really good cameras and you can zoom in real good and see what is going to happen on earth 8 minutes from now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I accelerated that poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat I tell u what

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

If you go fast enough you'll never die because death just can't catch you

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Smugworth posted:

If you were to fart butt rear end naked in space, the vacuum of space would take advantage of your open butthole and suck your innards out

Your innards and fart would be spread across the galaxy

New seed of life theory just dropped

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the speed of light of constant, not relative. so the closer to that speed you get, the slower you experience time relative to observers moving slower than you. from your perspective, everything is normal. from the observer's perspective, everything is normal. the clock on the ISS moves fractionally slower than clocks on earth because the ISS is moving fractionally closer to C than we are.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

also any time a physics concept references "the observer" it means "the measurer". the only way to measure stuff is to interact with it in some way (by bouncing photons off it, for example). there's nothing magical about consciously "observing" something AS MANY SCI FI BOOKS MISUNDERSTAND GODAMMIT

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's also why sonic the hoghedge will never die

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Light isn't that fast tbh by the time it gets anywhere shadows already there to meet it

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

loving magnets, that's how they work.

edit: For real. It has to be this way, otherwise electromagnetism doesn't make sense.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 9, 2023

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's also why sonic the hoghedge will never die

Finally someone is making sense in this thread.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fuckdick the Slutsog

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Bula Vinaka posted:

Light photons do not experience time. The universe begins and ends in an instant for a light photon.

Relative to you, time speeds up when you go fast, so when you hit the speed of light, the universe ends. That's why it's not possible to go faster than light speed.

I believe the other type of thing like this is entering a black hole. If you could somehow withstand the force of gravity to survive, the universe would end from your perspective as you entered it, and from the universe's perspective, you would appear to freeze in time right as you entered.

This most succinctly describes the two ways relative time dilation affects time in layman's terms. So basipally as relative velocity/gravitational force increases on an object say a space ship, local time (and everything it affects like aging) slows down in relation to something that isn't the space ship, like an observatory. Relative velocity and gravity causing time dilation is even measurable between Earth and the ISS. The astronauts age microseconds slower than the people on earth because they're going orbital velocity while simultaneously aging faster due to Earth exerting less gravitational force on them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

Nyan Bread fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

you knwo what's a good book about spacetime?