Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Im fast and go bi too OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
vroom vroom :rice:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Time is relative like velocity is relative. If you are floating in space not moving (in your inertial frame), then you accelerate to some velocity and maintain it, you are now not moving again in your inertial frame. Similarly, when you accelerate your concept of time also shifts with your inertial frame. To you it seems normal (“not moving”), but relative to your starting inertial frame it is moving slower.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
It’s like op has never heard of a Lorentz transformation 🙄

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Whatever you do don't build a device that creates a black hole for your ship to pass through.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

nanomachines

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s kind of like the doppler effect, when the sound changes as (for example) a car or train is travelling towards you, when it is coming towards you the sound waves are compressed so the sound is higher but when it is travelling away from you the sound waves are now getting increasingly further apart so the sounds is stretched out and sounds weird, think of the nyeeeeooooooooon of an f1 car blasting past

but in the car the sound is always the same because you are in moving at the same speed relative to the car

time dilation can be thought of as conceptually similar, it takes ‘longer’ for a static observer to perceive travel at fast speed (in the same way you hear the ‘same’ sound differently as a car speeds past) than it does for the person doing the fast travel.

it’s hosed up op but general relativity has been proven experimentally repeatedly, loving einstein did a good one there

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

note: i’m an idiot

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

its all nice on rice posted:

Whatever you do don't build a device that creates a black hole for your ship to pass through.

too late

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
If you are near a wormhole and in luck, it is possible to have sex with yourself, even at a distance. This process has been termed "spaghettification" and also why Italians can't go into space. Thank you for coming to my symposuium.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

buglord posted:

ological aging get sped up too?

I watch enough space/science YouTube to keep hearing about how time works differently when you’re traveling really fast in space or really far or something and each time I try to have to explained to me, it never connects. And I’ve watched a few popular YouTube videos explaining how it works but it still makes 0 sense to me.

I trust GBS goons will be able to help me out and explain why a person in a rocket going really fast apparently ages faster/slower compared to the people on earth. Also is it possible to have someone go fast enough that they age slow enough to time warp into the future and only be a month older and the world 100 years in the future?

Everyone knows the speed of light is constant.

But constant to what? What does it measure its speed from?

Turns out: its you

It moves at that speed relative to you.

Q: But how can 1 person not moving, and another one moving, see some light travel at the same speed?

A: Time is relative.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
op hasn;t seen flight of the navigator. appalling

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
hey blimpo
oink oink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRVzJXaj4lw

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

But what if I whip around this neutron star?

You'll become part of it hella quick

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ludicrous speed makes you go into plaid.

Hope that helps, OP.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Wilkins Micawber posted:

If you are near a wormhole and in luck, it is possible to have sex with yourself, even at a distance. This process has been termed "spaghettification" and also why Italians can't go into space. Thank you for coming to my symposuium.

If you find just the right spot at the edge of a black hole you can stretch your dick and/or tits out really far

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you find just the right spot at the edge of a black hole you can stretch your dick and/or tits out really far

This is really making me think

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That accretion disk? All dick

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think historically science has assumed that the gravitational wave only exists as far as its field of capture, but it’s more likely that is an extended and continuous membrane that extends as a complex voltage tensor all the way to the quantum median distance between two stars. So as you traverse into microgravities and your velocity approaches the speed of light, regardless of your acceleration profile, there is only one point at exactly 0 gravity where time stops as you move from one relativistic frame to another. There’s essentially a Latin interpretation of your origin clock to the new frame of reference that takes a round minute. It could be anywhere from 1 second to 60 seconds of net time that you age more than anyone else, it is always a random number. But you aren’t gonna age as in the twin paradox. The gravitational wave always preserves your real clock in a relativistic manner, and the stream of light you are riding ACCELERATES as gravity decreases, as do you.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like, you can look at it this way. A good ship will get to its destination up to a minute BEFORE it left. A perfect charter will reach its destination exactly WHEN it left. Did the good ship go faster? No. Its Boolean electronic expression did, but its analog took just as long. There has to be a viable groundpath for a good ship or it will abort and return to origin before it crosses the membrane, as if it never left at all. Or like, in the instance that someone was trying to test a good ship by launching and landing in the same spot, it would simply never launch until the return destination was moved at least a mile away. A loopback type scenario would mean the ship never launches at all, but it could for instance, show up a mile away before it was launched, before the copy could be reached from the origin by any physical or electronic means and cause an entropy violation.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If you want the perception that time is slowed and you want to live effectively long as possible, you simply have to physically torture yourself in novel everchanging ways. Time will seem to stretch on forever if you are always experience and new and horrible pain

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Time goes real slow when you're really bored, so if you want to live a long time just be really boring and bored

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s basically the same as when goku trained for a year in the hyperbolic time chamber but everyone else only aged a day

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
You need to remember time is actually really bad at maths and often gets it wrong. So when you accelerate it will seem to change, but as time is bad at math it will just be by random amounts. somtimes it will be .5 of second gained, sometimes three years lost. It's basically totally random.

This is the main reason why space travel is so dangerous. might come back 90 years older, might come back as a baby who knows which!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think we need to define “space” as the volume between stars where the gravitational wave exerts less force than half the original weight of the individual atoms in the integrated grounpath, less than the amount of force required to influence one hydrogen atom of the originating star, and the gravitational wave is the exact integral function of the corresponding lightwave of origin, so that a vessels heft and mass are carried as digital information until transformed by a voltage tensor, so that a continuous current of one ampere is maintained throughout the complex transformation and no G forces are incurred by the acceleration. :viggo:

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 9, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Bula Vinaka posted:

Light photons do not experience time. The universe begins and ends in an instant for a light photon.

Relative to you, time speeds up when you go fast, so when you hit the speed of light, the universe ends. That's why it's not possible to go faster than light speed.

I believe the other type of thing like this is entering a black hole. If you could somehow withstand the force of gravity to survive, the universe would end from your perspective as you entered it, and from the universe's perspective, you would appear to freeze in time right as you entered.

So perspectives aside, you’re still going to age in the same timespan, even if it doesn’t appear that way?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Common sense would tell you the faster you go the less time it takes you to get there. :shrug:

If you build a ship that’s already fast your acceleration profile is instant and it takes you one minute to get there. If you build a ship that’s swift it takes you zero time to get there.

The light from other stars takes a little over 7 days to reach earth, one exact quartmoon, to reach us, depending on how long that solar systems annual Christmas is. Which also directly corresponds to that stars pH, which is always slightly sour, unless it is in a nova/condensate/new star state (base), pulsar (neutral), or the relative natural consummate (sweet) which is not visible to the naked eye (falloscopic), but will be the native 5th planet of our own solar system in the future (levoscopic).

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 9, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

buglord posted:

So perspectives aside, you’re still going to age in the same timespan, even if it doesn’t appear that way?

From your perspective your light speed vehicle makes everyone else die of old age quickly :devil:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think what’s cool is that you can overcome the radio delay if you know your deoxyribonucleic targets ram address, which is the sum of the decimal value after 7 expressed as a whole number value, which yields a specific and unique RAM address. You can simply dire a chemical telephone line that has no delay and can transmit Boolean data at 1 gb/s.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Okay so I talked to some people and they say that space is time and it’s hard to really separate those. I guess there was a flaw in the question I presented with them:

How much would earth age, relative to me, if the following happened: I leave earth in 2023 and fly at the speed of light for 20 years, then I come back? If I’m hypothetically 20 years older, how much older is earth, and why did my speed somehow break the connection of time here?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

If you go at the speed of light, you can reach any point in the accessible universe instantly from your point of view. All distances become 0. You can imagine what that implies for your 20 years trip.

The earth would be long gone, alongside basically everything else.

The "reason" this happens is basically because everything is immobile from its own point of view. If two objects are appart by a meter and are not moving relative to one-another, light takes the same amount of "time" to go from one to the other no matter how fast they are moving relative to everything else, on account of them going "I'm not moving, it's everything else that's moving around me". The weird time stuff is the only way we know how to make the math work around that.

There's no reason for it that we can tell. As far as we know, it's just a matter that poo poo can't make sense otherwise.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 10, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Time dilation happens when you get on a train too, but you don't see the conductor bragging about it

In any case if you ever find yourself traveling at the speed of light you got bigger problems to worry about lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

buglord posted:

Okay so I talked to some people and they say that space is time and it’s hard to really separate those. I guess there was a flaw in the question I presented with them:

How much would earth age, relative to me, if the following happened: I leave earth in 2023 and fly at the speed of light for 20 years, then I come back? If I’m hypothetically 20 years older, how much older is earth, and why did my speed somehow break the connection of time here?

At the speed of light time is meaningless. But let’s say you go a significant fraction of the speed of light, like 99.9% of it. When you get back, you’ve aged 20 years, but the earth has aged billions of years. No trace of human life survives except you.

Your speed didn’t break time, your acceleration caused a rotation of your spacetime axis. What was previously the time component of your vector through spacetime has mostly changed to become your speed component in space.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
In space, there is (almost) nothing to slow you down. It's not like on Earth where the engine has to keep going or you'll slow down. You'll keep going anyway.

So if you keep the engine on you just go faster and faster. But nothing can go faster than the speed of light. But even if you are close to the speed of light, if you keep the engine on, you'll go faster. Both of these things are always true, so to keep them all true, the universe does some wonky-rear end bullshit with time. Honestly, it sounds like cheating and should never have been allowed.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
The thought experiment with the moving cart did the trick for me. All you really need is a little pythagoras to do the math.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

In space, there is (almost) nothing to slow you down. It's not like on Earth where the engine has to keep going or you'll slow down. You'll keep going anyway.

So if you keep the engine on you just go faster and faster. But nothing can go faster than the speed of light. But even if you are close to the speed of light, if you keep the engine on, you'll go faster. Both of these things are always true, so to keep them all true, the universe does some wonky-rear end bullshit with time. Honestly, it sounds like cheating and should never have been allowed.

One of the weird things about relativity is that as you go faster your mass also increases. So for a hypothetical engine with a fixed power output, it would have an upper speed limit that it wouldn't be able to exceed, simply because it would have to push on an ever increasing mass. I think it stems from the good ol' E=MC^2 formula.

in conclusion if Sonic ever goes too fast he'd collapse under his own mass and turn into a black hole

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The faster you are, the fatter you get. So the only way to lose weight is stop moving completely, possibly crawl backwards at negative speed of light.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Einstein was a dumbass none of that poo poo is true op it’s all part of Big Science’s scam to get more funding.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_-gEApuaNM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A cool way I saw it described in a book by afaik a Real Science Guy (Max Tegmark, 2000-whatever) was - everything is always travelling at the speed of light, but proportions vary as to how much of that velocity is movement through space vs movement through time.