Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Needmore, PA, the town where Tracy hides with Kenneth's cousin is a real place too, but is way smaller in real life. Not much more than a village crossroad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Criss and I are going to ride out Hurricane Shamrock holed up in my apartment, laughing at excerpts from "Angela's Ashes."

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Eat This Glob posted:

Criss and I are going to ride out Hurricane Shamrock holed up in my apartment, laughing at excerpts from "Angela's Ashes."

I can't believe he spells his name with no 'H' and two 'S's

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Sash! posted:

Needmore, PA, the town where Tracy hides with Kenneth's cousin is a real place too, but is way smaller in real life. Not much more than a village crossroad.

Down here, we call it Sexcriminalboat.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I don't like Tubman, spunds too much like a guy. Let's change it to Tubgirl.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

You can't say 'uh, doy' to me in mixed company.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Passing out? Swearing? On St. Patrick's day? Is nothing sacred?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I was pooping in the ladies room at the Ivy when...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh good news indeed! I hope it's succesful so they can start doing the rest of Jenna's movies!

Personally hanging out for Con Air: The Musical!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Rural Juror or bust.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
5nowdog5

edit:

goddamn I love the poster for it

PizzaProwler fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 6, 2024

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

tracy jordan waaaaaaay less problematic that cuba gooding jr. who would have guessed?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Our plane was just about to take off but then they noticed a problem and we've gone back to the gate but we haven't deplaned. I don't like where this is going.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Our plane was just about to take off but then they noticed a problem and we've gone back to the gate but we haven't deplaned. I don't like where this is going.

I hope you aren't a lipless, middle-aged woman in a lesbian clown shirt.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

You have to stay awake, Eglantine, or the pure ones will moon blink us!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Looks like Whoopi's made herself another billion hryvna.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Andale andale? Arriba arriba?!?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Those shoes are definitely bi-curious.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Gonz posted:

Rural Juror or bust.

Are we ever gonna get the sequel, Urban Fervour?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Five Dog Now Five! Five Dog Now Five!

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

TELL HER YOU WANT HER TO DONATE HER BODY TO SCIENCE AND YOU'RE SCIENCE!

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Would you call what we did last night sex?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Tracy Morgan was never acting

https://twitter.com/CJToledano/status/1790530585263476775?t=PvLFXoeAEu4ponxVtdmDoA&s=19

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Saw a clip of Tina Fey talking about a time Morgan was getting frustrated because he kept going on about actor "Jack Human", and no one knew who he was talking about, until he started talking about "Jack Human" as Wolverine, and they realized he meant Hugh Jackman.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I always wondered how much of tracy Morgans lines they actually bothered to put in the script. Like I feel any lines not vital for the plot you could just put

Tracey Jordan: [Let Tracey Morgan say whatever]

And between Morgans talents at improve and just generally being Jordan levels of odd anyway, you're pretty much guaranteed to get gold.

I'm trying to remember what comedy it was where one of the writers or produces said they ended up doing exactly that for one of the comedians on it, as they would just come up with some far better line on the spot anyway, so like why bother waste the writers time trying to think up something that's never going to be used.

I think 30 rock did have quite a bit of improv as that was the background of quite a few of the comedians on it, but it can be hard to tell, as sometimes shows that feel like that, it's just the way the writers right and they do actually stick religiously to the script.

I know famously Monty Python said they never improv'ed anything.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 18, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

dr_rat posted:

I'm trying to remember what comedy it was where one of the writers or produces said they ended up doing exactly that for one of the comedians on it, as they would just come up with some far better line on the spot anyway, so like why bother waste the writers time trying to think up something that's never going to be used.

Scrubs had scripts with "Whatever Neil says" instead of actual lines for the Janitor sometimes.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

dr_rat posted:

Kenna Thompson on SNL has exactly this

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

dr_rat posted:

I always wondered how much of tracy Morgans lines they actually bothered to put in the script. Like I feel any lines not vital for the plot you could just put

Tracey Jordan: [Let Tracey Morgan say whatever]

And between Morgans talents at improve and just generally being Jordan levels of odd anyway, you're pretty much guaranteed to get gold.

I think 30 rock did have quite a bit of improv as that was the background of quite a few of the comedians on it, but it can be hard to tell, as sometimes shows that feel like that, it's just the way the writers right and they do actually stick religiously to the script.

I know famously Monty Python said they never improv'ed anything.

If 30 Rock is anything like Kimmy, there are a cadre of writers who sit at video village and will yell out alternate lines while the cameras keep rolling. The actors can also drop in alternate lines they think are funny too. I imagine the scene with Tracy's repressed memories was a list of hundreds of jokes called out.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I thought a lot of Tracy's lines were things Tina's young kid blurted out with some minor tweaking.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

swickles posted:

I thought a lot of Tracy's lines were things Tina's young kid blurted out with some minor tweaking.

Some of Tina's lines were also taken from her kid, like "I want to go to there"

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
"It okay. Don't be cry." is another one of those

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

During the filming of Escape From New York, Harry Dean Stanton asked John Carpenter if it was alright if he rewrote his character, Brain's, dialogue. Carpenter told him he could rewrite all the dialogue he wanted, just don't rewrite his story.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

dr_rat posted:

This specific anecdote comes from Donald Glover and Community, iirc. But as other posters noted it’s a common occurrence in sitcoms if you cast talented people

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Jack Donaghy playing with himself……It’s a Jack off!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ninjahedgehog posted:

But as other posters noted it’s a common occurrence in sitcoms if you cast talented people

Hell, look at bébé becoming an iconic word in Schitt's Creek and that was entirely Catherine O'Hara making her character more insane at every possible chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ninjahedgehog posted:

This specific anecdote comes from Donald Glover and Community, iirc. But as other posters noted it’s a common occurrence in sitcoms if you cast talented people

Also the Janitor in Scrubs is a well known example, where they just put “Neil (Flynn) says something funny” in the actual script at least once.

EDIT: missed that someone already said that

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 21, 2024