Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s a testament to how good this game is that I went back to do a second play through to get more achievements that I missed

I’m doing it on minimum difficulty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm definitely heading to System Shock 2 after I finish the remake.

2 I actually played through a few hours of several years back, but I'm excited to really dig into it with the context and knowledge from beating 1.

Just jettisoned Beta Grove, about to head into the horrors of Engineering.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Engineering is extremely spicy, if you have been hoarding magpulse ammo now is the time to use it.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I jettisoned my Skorpion in Beta Grove :(

I ended up with like 700 ammo for it after that lol

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Red Rox posted:

I jettisoned my Skorpion in Beta Grove :(

I ended up with like 700 ammo for it after that lol

There are at least two of them in the game, if that helps. One's in the Maintenance Office, and the other's in the hidden room in Storage that you reach by solving the Storage 5 gravity lift puzzle.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Skorpion is really fun. As are all the guns, really, even the pew pew zappers.

Oh, maybe not mag pulse

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Oh, maybe not mag pulse

The magnum is so satisfying.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

sebmojo posted:

Oh, maybe not mag pulse

I think the fact that the Mag Pulse was a pump-action gun with decent animations and effects helped endear me to it. I don't actually have any substantial gripes about any of the weapons when I think about it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The basic 9mm minipistol is pretty anemic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Lone Badger posted:

The basic 9mm minipistol is pretty anemic.

Yeah, but you can go blap blap blap blap blap with it which is its own kind of fun.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I do wish there was a bit more reason to hold on to a pistol after you get your hands on a Skorpion.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I do wish there was a bit more reason to hold on to a pistol after you get your hands on a Skorpion.

Popping cameras

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I started hacking all of the cameras to death; blowing them up with my mind bullets

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'll admit it, I completely forgot hacking was even a thing. Have not done it a single time.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You're not missing out. For most enemies, hacking just scrambles their targeting, but most enemies are also positioned in such a way that the only target they could conceivably attack is you. On the rare occasions in which there was more than one enemy they often wouldn't go for one another or would do a little damage before the hack wears off at which point they team up on you again. Basically, all you are doing is alerting an enemy and sending it on patrol at which point it usually finds you.

Works great on autobombs though.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

Oh, maybe not mag pulse
Mag pulse more like Mag puffy dandelion you throw at a robots face, and hide as it walks through that puffy cloud, unfazed.

God that sucked to use so bad it was the first gun I tossed.

Shotgun too. When I get into 'shotgun range" with a rabid lionbear, I want the shots to do something immediately, not wait an eternity for the incendiary effect to kick in.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The upgraded mag-pulse rifle is decent against robots if you use two shots at once

But honestly by the time you really need to use it a lot, the Skorpion and the AR are better options

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I always used the Mag Pulse with the doubled-up shot; probably helped that I found the damage mod for it about as early as I could.

On lower difficulties I could see people largely skipping it though, especially if you have an abundance of ammo for other weapons. On combat 3 I kept most weapons in periodic rotation and stashed them when their ammo got low so I could use weapons that I had accumulated a decent stockpile of ammo for in the interim.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 20, 2023

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just got blown up crawling through a vent in Engineering. One second, nothing, the next I'm dead.

There was no proximity mine beeping so it must've been a trap grenade (the respawn screen cause of death was "explosive"). Just completely out of nowhere.

Oh I guess it could've also been one of those explodey bots hidden in the vent and I just didn't see it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I went on a LONG quest last night because first I lost the Skorpion so I had to go get the extra one from maintenance but then I realized I needed the guy's detached head to open the office and then I couldn't figure out where I'd stashed the head on and on.

Literal hour+ of running around the station but I finally have a Skorpion again so it was worth it in the end. It's funny I remember being like "as long as I drop stuff in obvious places, I don't need notes!" but I've managed to lose several guns now.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Found the problem

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I liked the Magpulse better when it was just a huge cannon that shot the big green orbs and didn't need upgrading to even be on par with the rest of the weapons. When you picked up the first one in Medical is was like your super weapon that you knew to conserve ammo on until you started getting more way later on.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It occurs to me that, while I wrote down the server room numbers, I didn't bother to write down which floor each was on. And I assume it's going to be a six-digit code.

:negative:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yep, floors 1 though 6

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

It occurs to me that, while I wrote down the server room numbers, I didn't bother to write down which floor each was on. And I assume it's going to be a six-digit code.

:negative:

Just start plugging them in randomly--there are only 46 thousand possible combinations, which is a lot better than the one million possible combinations you'd have to deal with otherwise!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

While dying of radiation burns

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah I ended up having to revisit all the server rooms because I'd done the floors in weird order. Thankfully, you can make a tour of the floor in like a minute once it's cleared.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Finished System Shock Remake. Didn't love the enemy gauntlet at the end and the final conflict with SHODAN was underwhelming but 90% of the game was excellent.

Got SS2 started and just made it past the intro into the game proper.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Similar to my feelings with SS2's final act--the Rickenbacker, the Body of the Many--I feel like System Shock loses some of its charm once you reach the Bridge (and maybe even Security?) I liked how your access to Citadel Station opened up as you progressed, but the final parts of System Shock are more abstract and linear in nature. I get why it happens thematically and canonically, but it's probably my least favorite part of the game.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

At least in the original game Bridge was a spectacle because it had been turned into a Geiger-esque cocoon; maybe it was a pretty weak level, but thematically it was a great showpiece, at least by the standards of the time. I get why Nightdive did not attempt this, but it does make an already underwhelming level all the more bland.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Just beat it, had a lot of fun. I was a huge System Shock fan when it came out, so it was really neat seeing everything redone. Some stuff I do wish they had changed, and some changes (like inventory tetris) seemed like adding complexity without adding substance. Cyberspace still sucks, and I still don't know what was going on in that final battle. With SHODAN's musings when you enter the 'big' chamber, I thought they would keep up the chatter and have her talk about how she sees herself and everything's she's done during the fight. Alas.

So there are achievements for hacking enemies, but I never had an option like that, and did max out my components. Did I completely miss a command or something somewhere? I also saw mention of weak point identification but never saw anything like that either.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Twobirds posted:

So there are achievements for hacking enemies, but I never had an option like that, and did max out my components. Did I completely miss a command or something somewhere? I also saw mention of weak point identification but never saw anything like that either.
It's really obtuse. You have to turn the component on and then hold Left-Alt to target an enemy

It doesn't really do much because it just temporarily confuses certain enemies (but only if they don't detect you). This hacking thing also uses energy so it's not really worth it besides the achievement.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The hacking really does feel pointless and vestigial and, outside of its novelty to destroy distant cameras, I didn't feel like it had any legitimate purpose (and even that was a stretch). Maybe if it genuinely compelled hacked enemies to actively track down other enemies and attack them? Or disabled them for considerably longer? But not as it currently stands.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really obtuse. You have to turn the component on and then hold Left-Alt to target an enemy

It doesn't really do much because it just temporarily confuses certain enemies (but only if they don't detect you). This hacking thing also uses energy so it's not really worth it besides the achievement.

Ahhhh, thank you. Something for the future 3/3/3/3 playthrough I guess.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The hacking really does feel pointless and vestigial and, outside of its novelty to destroy distant cameras, I didn't feel like it had any legitimate purpose (and even that was a stretch). Maybe if it genuinely compelled hacked enemies to actively track down other enemies and attack them? Or disabled them for considerably longer? But not as it currently stands.
It's probably cheaper energy-wise to just shoot the camera with an energy weapon

You have to have LOS in order to hack the cameras anyway so it's just kind of a pointless function

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hacking is nice for autobombs, it makes them detonate immediately and without drawing noise back to your location. For everything else, ranges from pointless to actively harming you; it has to be on an unaware enemy and when you hack they start searching in a small radius, which can draw them right to you.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

aniviron posted:

Hacking is nice for autobombs, it makes them detonate immediately and without drawing noise back to your location. For everything else, ranges from pointless to actively harming you; it has to be on an unaware enemy and when you hack they start searching in a small radius, which can draw them right to you.

Are those the little mousebot bomb things? I never see them before they're activated.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

They’re tricky to spot sometimes (especially with all of the colored lighting and glowing doodads in the levels) but OP is right, hacking is kind of useful to discretely dispatching them without firing a shot

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Half the time when I see those rolling bombs it’s because they are coming at me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm about 4 hours into System Shock 2. Game owns, I've been focused on tech/guns so far, but now that I can repair my weapons and blast hybrids with a shotgun I've started spreading my points out. It would be really nice if there were a quick way to switch ammo types and psi abilities seem like a huge pain to manage, but otherwise it's aged well. I'm playing on steam deck and having just a bit of gyro makes all the difference.

The game never got any sort of graphical updates, right? Imo it still looks fantastic, and way better than half life which came out just a couple years earlier.