Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I'm about 4 hours into System Shock 2. Game owns, I've been focused on tech/guns so far, but now that I can repair my weapons and blast hybrids with a shotgun I've started spreading my points out. It would be really nice if there were a quick way to switch ammo types and psi abilities seem like a huge pain to manage, but otherwise it's aged well. I'm playing on steam deck and having just a bit of gyro makes all the difference.

The game never got any sort of graphical updates, right? Imo it still looks fantastic, and way better than half life which came out just a couple years earlier.

No, though the upcoming Enhanced Edition will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't realize this had been announced! Hopefully they improve the psi swapping a bit, it'd be fun to do a psi playthrough.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I'm about 4 hours into System Shock 2. Game owns, I've been focused on tech/guns so far, but now that I can repair my weapons and blast hybrids with a shotgun I've started spreading my points out. It would be really nice if there were a quick way to switch ammo types and psi abilities seem like a huge pain to manage, but otherwise it's aged well. I'm playing on steam deck and having just a bit of gyro makes all the difference.

The game never got any sort of graphical updates, right? Imo it still looks fantastic, and way better than half life which came out just a couple years earlier.

there's a hotkey for switching ammo types iirc. check the controls menu

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

double nine posted:

there's a hotkey for switching ammo types iirc. check the controls menu

Thanks I was able to find the bind. That'll save me some headache

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

there are also some hotkeys for psi power selection but it never gets comfortable imo

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Theres a mod which updates the graphics so everyones face isnt a triangle. I think its the redux mod?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

double nine posted:

there are also some hotkeys for psi power selection but it never gets comfortable imo

Yeah it's awkward. F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 for switching to that PSI tier and then keep pressing the same key to cycle the purchased powers within the tier.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't realize this had been announced! Hopefully they improve the psi swapping a bit, it'd be fun to do a psi playthrough.

https://www.pcgamer.com/system-shoc...e-been-updated/

This article shows off some pictures comparing the original with the Enhanced Edition. It's not so much a complete graphical overhaul as it is cleaned up higher res textures.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Lies. There are several graphics updates floating around for SS2. Rebirth remade many of the NPC models, SHTUP is a general texture overhaul, and 400 is a landscape texture update. None of them are on the scale of a complete overhaul, but they do considerably help, bringing the graphics from 1998 to around 2005ish.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

nielsm posted:

Yeah it's awkward. F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 for switching to that PSI tier and then keep pressing the same key to cycle the purchased powers within the tier.

This alone was enough to make me regret my psi run. It's the worst feeling to be fumbling with this when a rumbler is bearing down on you. Would love a Prey-style wheel with hotkey-able bindings. I know the wheel was meant to make controller usage easier, but when you have 20 powers there just aren't enough keys. Binding the ones you need now and having the utilities on a wheel that pauses time was a good compromise.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I actually like the triangle faces. It's charming.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Valatar posted:

Lies. There are several graphics updates floating around for SS2. Rebirth remade many of the NPC models, SHTUP is a general texture overhaul, and 400 is a landscape texture update. None of them are on the scale of a complete overhaul, but they do considerably help, bringing the graphics from 1998 to around 2005ish.

Those are mods, not official though. I was presuming they were asking about official graphics enhancements of which there aren’t any until the Enhanced Edition drops. Also Rebirth looks kind of awful imo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Those are mods, not official though. I was presuming they were asking about official graphics enhancements of which there aren’t any until the Enhanced Edition drops. Also Rebirth looks kind of awful imo.

Yeah a big part of graphical updates for me is staying true to the original vision. And it's hard to do that if you aren't the original studio or at least have the blessing of the original studio.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the Rebirth redesigns are sorta controversial, I still prefer them to the five-polygon originals personally but understand why people dislike them. AFAIK there is not currently a NPC model remake that stays truer to the originals, looks like it will take the Nightdive remaster to get those.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I actually like the triangle faces. It's charming.

I actually kinda agree, plus a couple of the mods actually make some enemies look less scary imo (cyborg midwives for example).

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Dyz posted:

I actually kinda agree, plus a couple of the mods actually make some enemies look less scary imo (cyborg midwives for example).

Didn't they make thirsty versions of the midwives or am I dismembering that?

The three poly monsters were definitely scarier.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Valatar posted:

Yeah, the Rebirth redesigns are sorta controversial, I still prefer them to the five-polygon originals personally but understand why people dislike them. AFAIK there is not currently a NPC model remake that stays truer to the originals, looks like it will take the Nightdive remaster to get those.

SHTUP is great because it just did a really good job of updating the textures without changing the aesthetics.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Splorange posted:

Didn't [Rebirth] make thirsty versions of the midwives or am I dismembering that?

Yeah, I thought they look like typical modder designs for sexy horror that end up neither sexy nor horror.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Twobirds posted:

Yeah, I thought they look like typical modder designs for sexy horror that end up neither sexy nor horror.

Rebirth yeah, that was what it was, the og design definitely leans into body horror in spite of being cubism come to life. That and the audio design was (at the time) great value for how technically limited it was, even for 1999.

IIRC the Dark engine couldn't handle rendering more than a set number of vertices at any one time, which I'd imagine puts a bit of a limit on how enhanced the enhanced edition may become.. though I suppose Nightdive has acquired the source from the insurance company that collected all of Looking Glass assets way back when.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Please Nightdive, make SHODAN fuckable in the remaster

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Please Nightdive, make XERXES fuckable in the remaster

ftfy

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

whynotboth.jpg

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Splorange posted:

Didn't they make thirsty versions of the midwives or am I dismembering that?

I think they gave them tits, yes.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

SS2: SHODAN being the voice in your ear and negging you every time you accomplish something is very, very good.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think the awful mods thread is leaking again.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

If you're looking for mods that do particularly interesting things but aren't outright mission packs in their own regard i'd say SECMOD is the premier gameplay mod that switches things around for fun and adds some features that should have existed in the first place, as well as a significantly more balanced arsenal (Fusion Cannon actually becomes worth something especially since the grenade launcher has been nerfed (fixed, actually), several weapons added to round out the arsenal like a flamethrower, damage multipliers for Standard weapons have been lowered across the board so it's no longer the go-to weapons skill, Exotic weapons no longer loving degrade, etc etc)

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=7153.0

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 4, 2023

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Thanks! I just set up a vanilla install of SS2 but SECMOD might be more fun. There are way more SS2 mods than I was expecting.

I replayed System Shock with the Enhanced Edition just to see all the differences. Maybe somebody can tell me if my rose-colored goggles are strapped on too tight, but in the original System Shock (spoilered because this happens in the Remake too), when you're taking out the gamma antenna in Engineering, SHODAN closes a force door behind you and you have to solve a wire puzzle to open it. In the original, it's not a difficult puzzle, just tedious, but you die in the explosion if you don't solve it; in the remake it's a normal puzzle and you don't have to solve it to avoid dying. I recall being able to solve the original puzzle as long as I was quick. I didn't come CLOSE in my replay and had to resort to using a logic probe. Am I going crazy or was this actually possible? Am I just an old? I thought there might be a timing issue with the changes to the Enhanced Edition but I am usually suspicious of nostalgia clouding my judgement in cases like this.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The original version of the game has slower timing than the KEX engine rebuild, yeah.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Finished System Shock 2. Memories were made, worms eaten, and SHODAN was shot in her big, stupid head.

Considered replaying Prey next, but after System Shock 1 and 2 back to back I think I may need a break from immersive sims.

Edit: Oh poo poo Prey is actually on sale and I never played Mooncrash. Guess I could read a few more data logs....

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 5, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mooncrash is so good, do iiiiit! It's tough, and and for a certain fraction (majority?) of normal immersive sim players being unable to save and unable to redo and test things not to mention being on a timer is so unnatural. I promise that it's all for a good reason and once you let go, it becomes a fantastic experience.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

aniviron posted:

Mooncrash is so good, do iiiiit! It's tough, and and for a certain fraction (majority?) of normal immersive sim players being unable to save and unable to redo and test things not to mention being on a timer is so unnatural. I promise that it's all for a good reason and once you let go, it becomes a fantastic experience.

Agreed, I put off getting Mooncrash for a while as the timer mechanic didn't sound fun - but it's not that big a deal as it turns out. Had a lot of fun with the game!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I was not ready for the charging protocol droids :gonk:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Mooncrash is great, just don’t spend sim points to buy the hourglass consumables, they completely kill the difficulty curve in a boring way.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I played around with System Shock back in the nineties on my brother's 486. It was a fascinating game but I was too novice to manage the controls and complexities. It definitely stuck in my imagination. When SS2 came out later it was the game that I completed and I still go back and play it today, I love SS2 more than any other shock-like that has come out since.

Nightdive's remake of System Shock is a dream come true. I get all that old school flavour in a format that's manageable, especially as I have little time to play games these days.

I did a sketch of a Citadel Station crew mutant. Enjoy!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Scut posted:

Enjoy!

I very much do :allears:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Scut posted:

I played around with System Shock back in the nineties on my brother's 486. It was a fascinating game but I was too novice to manage the controls and complexities. It definitely stuck in my imagination. When SS2 came out later it was the game that I completed and I still go back and play it today, I love SS2 more than any other shock-like that has come out since.

Nightdive's remake of System Shock is a dream come true. I get all that old school flavour in a format that's manageable, especially as I have little time to play games these days.

I did a sketch of a Citadel Station crew mutant. Enjoy!

That dude got reformed alright

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
That’s awesome!

I played about 10 hours of SSR this summer before getting side tracked. I’ve held off getting back to it until the patch is released that was announced back in like August. I have no idea why it hasn’t dropped yet but it has a ton of QOL improvements I want to wait for.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah seeing these posts made me look up things, and it seems the patch for PC has basically been ready since the end of August. But it's apparently waiting on ?????? for the console release.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

nielsm posted:

Yeah seeing these posts made me look up things, and it seems the patch for PC has basically been ready since the end of August. But it's apparently waiting on ?????? for the console release.

They're waiting on the publisher to approve it, which they aren't really telling them why there is a delay on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

sometime over the summer, I got recommended a video about the history of the remake, as in "when did the idea first form" and all the stages to release. I was quite astounded to learn that Nightdive Studios literally exists because the founding couple were going on a vacation and wanted to play SS2 and saw that it wasn't available on Steam or GOG. Their founding goal was to get distribution rights for it and from there it just spiralled out to what we have today, with the Enhanced version, now the Remake, plus all the other remake and enhanced versions of other 90s games.

I guess I had thought that Nightdive existed earlier than that and it just took a long time to get things released because of rights hangups for a lot of those 90s games