Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

was an SS2 remake even on the table? I thought Nightdive was just going to do an Enhanced version like they did for SS1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Latest release date set for end of this month https://www.pcgamesn.com/system-shock-remastered/release-date

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Are they still doing the SS2 enhanced edition?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I can't wait for this to come out. What do the impressions of the people who have played the latest version look like?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf4vp_ir4TI

This trailer come out today. People who have played the backer beta have said the game looks good and is enjoyable.

I enjoyed the demo enough to want to play it, so if they've improved it from there I'll definitely be buying it.

There is also a separate trailer for SS2 Enhanced, but it doesn't really look like anything different has been done yet. Most of the trailer is just the original intro sequence - I think this was a kickstarter backer goal, and based on how long it took them to get the main product out, I'm amazed they bothered with this at all. If anything, System Shock 2 will finally be on consoles?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6mb44nDWj0

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I can't wait for this to come out. What do the impressions of the people who have played the latest version look like?

I felt pretty positive about the demo, and Night Dive has a good track record. It helps that we already know System Shock is a fantastic game and a classic. The demo gives me the impression that Night Dive did not change anything in a drastic way that would make this experience inferior, exact opposite, they managed to make a superior experience to the original. So goals met.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Played the demo on Steam. I first heard about this remake so long ago I had forgotten about it. Anyway, here's my unsolicited thoughts.

Melee combat feels floaty and weightless. I can't tell if I'm actually hitting the mutants half the time. It doesn't feel good currently.

The shadow setting is weird, like it's controlling two things at once. It seems like it not only controls shadow resolution but it also controls fog, which is really dark and blankets everything regardless of the lighting. There's a LOT of lights, so it ends up looking weird when they don't seem to cast or bounce light at all because of this additional darkness. As it stands, I think the game actually looks better with low/medium shadows (other than the low shadow res) because the lighting isn't blacked out and it looks more natural.

The fog setting doesn't seem to control anything. I've flipped through all the settings for it in various locations and couldn't notice anything difference in image whatsoever. Combined with what I noticed with the shadows setting at high/ultra seemingly adding fog to the scene makes me think some wires got crossed somewhere.

The pixel effect is neat once I figured out what was going on but I thought my textures were broken at first. Turning the texture quality down from ultra straight up makes signage unreadable because of it, though. It'd be nice to get a setting that controls the intensity of this pixel effect.

The UI font is really tiny and hard to read, and straight up impossible to do so in some places. I've ran the game at different resolutions and nothing helped. The inventory says to hold some button to read an item's description but I don't know what button because it's impossible to read what it is due to the font's small size.

Other than those gripes, I did honestly enjoy what I played. The voice acting is pretty good, the music is nice, and the general vibe and aesthetic is cool. I'm looking forward to the full release now. I just hope a font scaling option is added.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

hosed up if they made the melee combat feel floaty, given that was one of the things the old demos really nailed, the pipe felt hefty & great to use.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

aniviron posted:

hosed up if they made the melee combat feel floaty, given that was one of the things the old demos really nailed, the pipe felt hefty & great to use.

it's so bad. i'm constantly whiffing on attacks that feel like they should 100% land. super frustrating. not unfixable at least.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Also that demo represents the beta version not the final one, they'd need to update it after the release of the game.
People need a demo representative of the completed product.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I’m so so tempted to preorder this but I’m also a bit wary to do it before the embargo ends. I just hope it’s not a bust.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
A review is out https://www.pcgamer.com/system-shock-remake-review/ 80/100, and generally positive with some caveats that it at times is too true to the original.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol i'm so going to need a walkthrough to beat this. :ohdear:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Added some reviews to OP.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is it unlocking at the same time everywhere, or is there time zone shenanigans you can use to play it earlier?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steam doesn't do time zone releases, its out in 22 hours for everyone.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

I said come in! posted:

lol i'm so going to need a walkthrough to beat this. :ohdear:

You absolutely are.

The good news is that a lot of the old GameFAQs walkthroughs still sort of work for the 2023 version; it's that faithful to the original game's layout. The exception is that in the remake, the various passcodes are all randomized on puzzle difficulty 2 or 3.

There are also a couple of minor things in the game that aren't quite as much of a pain in the rear end in SS2023, like pixel-hunting for hidden switches. You do have to play a lot of RE4-style inventory Tetris, though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can you set the passcode / puzzle difficulty to be really easy?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Can you set the passcode / puzzle difficulty to be really easy?

Yeah, it's got the 1/2/3 difficulty sliders from the original.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
One question about plot and/or game mechanics

do you still have to find that dudes head down in the (IIRC) engineering level?

I never figured that part out in the original.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

One question about plot and/or game mechanics

do you still have to find that dudes head down in the (IIRC) engineering level?

I never figured that part out in the original.

You do, yes.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Wanderer posted:

You do, yes.

:hai: I wonder if its the same thing IIRC the head is laying on the ground behind a door, and the door code was one of the only actually-randomly generated codes in the game I couldnt get the door open, and :laffo: it wasn't like I could google it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

:hai: I wonder if its the same thing IIRC the head is laying on the ground behind a door, and the door code was one of the only actually-randomly generated codes in the game I couldnt get the door open, and :laffo: it wasn't like I could google it.

In the remake, if I remember correctly, it's on the other side of an easy-to-miss crawlspace, in an otherwise-inaccessible part of Maintenance.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

what the gently caress there's a system shock remake out in 10 hours? i had no idea this was in the works. i never did play the original so i'm super down. hopefully this means we'll get a ss2 and maybe even a thief remake one day. i'd kill a taffer for a faithful thief (there's a tongue twister) remake with modern graphics

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 30, 2023

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

what the gently caress there's a system shock remake out in 10 hours? i had no idea this was in the works. i never did play the original so i'm super down. hopefully this means we'll get a ss2 and maybe even a thief remake one day. i'd kill a taffer for a faithful thief (there's a tongue twister) remake with modern graphics

There was Thi4f :fourloko: which had a different main voice actor, and it didn't do very well IIRC. Might as well just play the Dishonored series non-lethally since it offers the choice to do it without powers.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TheMostFrench posted:

There was Thi4f :fourloko: which had a different main voice actor, and it didn't do very well IIRC. Might as well just play the Dishonored series non-lethally since it offers the choice to do it without powers.

yeah i meant an actual remake, same levels and stuff, just with a new engine, modern graphics and ui etc. i know about and skipped t4 and played the poo poo out of dishonored. i don't think you even really need to skip powers to get the thief feel since they're replacing tools like rope and moss arrows, invisibility potions, etc. Dishonored powers are a bit more op perhaps but it's not like you had to go through thief with blackjack only

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 30, 2023

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Is this actually releasing

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I'm considering buying this. I've never played System Shock 1 or 2, but I'm a big fan of its immersive sim descendents like Prey, Dishonored, and Deus Ex.

Looking at gameplay videos, the remake looks a lot more accessible, but I still see some things that might annoy me.

• The pixelation effect when looking at things close up is distracting.
  • The general lack of clarity regarding what is interactive and what isn't. There are lots of flashy lights on the walls and tables that look the same as useable items. I guess I could learn the difference eventually.
  • Minor UI quibbles: the time it takes for the cursor label to populate, the positioning of it in the top-center far away from your eyeline, the difficulty of telling what you just "loot all"ed from crates and bodies.

Maybe I'm overthinking; finally there's a relatively user-friendly remake of a legendary game older than I am. I'll still probably buy it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Truly interactive objects get a cross hair in the UI when you're close enough to interact with them.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Unlocks in less than an hour

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
It's out now

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

TheMostFrench posted:

Unlocks in less than an hour

My download speed dropped to half when you started downloading it too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Something the PC Gamer review mentioned was that they wish there was a waypoint marker for the map, it looks like this was added at the last second for the launch today. Yay, I won't get hopelessly lost now because of my bad sense of direction.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

I said come in! posted:

Something the PC Gamer review mentioned was that they wish there was a waypoint marker for the map, it looks like this was added at the last second for the launch today. Yay, I won't get hopelessly lost now because of my bad sense of direction.

Well, there goes my last hesitation.

Achievements are also visible now. I like to read the achievements list before buying a game because they give a useful cross-section of what is possible.

I laughed out loud at "Look At You, Snacker". And the red Crow T. Robot icon.

Spookydonut posted:

jumped up to smash a tv off the ceiling, it fell down and smacked me in the head, 10/10 goty

That is one of my favorite retrofuturist touches. In the grim darkness of 2072, there are only super-heavy CRTs!

William Bear fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 30, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really love how super immersive this game is. The switch in graphics style was a great choice.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
jumped up to smash a tv off the ceiling, it fell down and smacked me in the head, 10/10 goty

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I like how matter of fact the intro is. Hi, I want you to press the big button marked "DO NOT PRESS THIS IN ANY STORY ABOUT AN AI". Alright cool (computer message: you have hosed up tremendously)

No frills required :laugh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Something I wish System Shock Remake did was for keypads, if you have the code already in your logs, then it will pop up with the key on screen, or just auto input it. Setting the difficulty of puzzles to 1, and have mission waypoint markers shows as a thing that you can enable, but it doesn't seem to actually work during gameplay?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

My review: https://www.gameskinny.com/reviews/system-shock-2023-review-welcome-back-to-citadel-insect/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dont agree with your opinion on the graphics, but otherwise this is spot on! Game is really good, but I personally would like more options on helping the player with where to go and what to do, in order to keep the pacing going smoothly.