Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Oh, hey, I didn't know about this. If you're playing on Steam, check this filepath:

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/System%20Shock%20Remake/Manual.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just beat the first level. It reminds me a lot of the original game, for good and for ill. But I have a hankering for an immersive sim and I'll take this Prey-lite any day.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Game has been crashing a lot for me, three times in a total of an hour's playtime. One of those times, the game wouldn't even restart until I restarted my PC entirely. The first time though, it was when SHODAN says "you are not welcome, remove yourself". As far as accidental comedy goes, that's GOTY material right there.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I have become a trashman, hauling entire rooms of junk back to the recycler for tiny coins

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've had a couple of crashes immediately after a Quick-Load

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

It is really strange that they made a game exactly for my tastes. I love cyberspace just being LSDescent. Melee combat is a huge step down from the early demos, but I'm all aboard otherwise.

It is also nice to play a new PC game that runs extremely well.

:2monocle:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Anyone playing it not on Steam?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And just as some people realized they ordered the game on the wrong platform...

E:page fixed now

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 30, 2023

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Oh, hey, I didn't know about this. If you're playing on Steam, check this filepath:

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/System%20Shock%20Remake/Manual.pdf

There is no way I was paying $150 for a physical CE from a developer I didn't trust 7 years ago on kickstarter, but given the quality of the manual and the game it would be nice to have now.

Finer-grained graphical controls would also be nice to have in an update.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

GOG has a free System Shock Remake goodie bag (manual, some HD images) givaway:
https://www.gog.com/#giveaway

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

pyrotek posted:

It is really strange that they made a game exactly for my tastes. I love cyberspace just being LSDescent. Melee combat is a huge step down from the early demos, but I'm all aboard otherwise.

It is also nice to play a new PC game that runs extremely well.

:2monocle:

Hey, I'm spending my days vacuuming up junk to turn into useful junk in a recycler, that's gonna be Prey to me. The circle is now complete.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Put about 5 hours in so far, game is quite good but also fairly challenging.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Is there any use for these dogtags I keep picking up? I found ten of them on Medical and as much as I suspect there's going to be something to unlock with them later, it's getting to be more than I can comfortably cart around.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Am I being dumb, or is this puzzle actually impossible? It's the first god drat pipe puzzle just outside of medical, and I swear it's generated an impossible board (it's randomly generated, right?), I can't find a route.
Never had an issue like this in what I played of the beta.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Look very closely at the blue switch.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Just beat the first level. It reminds me a lot of the original game, for good and for ill. But I have a hankering for an immersive sim and I'll take this Prey-lite any day.

The highest recommendation someone could give me.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

mirarant posted:

Look very closely at the blue switch.

Agh, drat it. I didn't catch the switch itself rotating, just everything around it.

Thanks!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I have to question the way this space station's machinery incentivizes employees to take armfuls of encyclopedias and dump them in the maintenance tunnels to get a huge pile of cash.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I never played the OG SS, and dabbled in SS2. I love Prey, Dishonored, Deus Ex reboots. Is this game for me? How are the RPG systems? I see most of the footage has lots of combat, will you be punished for using guns instead of the old wrench?

loving game looks cool.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
There's no RPG systems like leveling up, or getting new skills; you just get additional equipment and weapons as you go along.

Certain weapons are better to use on enemies than others, but if you really want to pump 500 pistol rounds into something you can, you just might have a bad time (and run out of ammo)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Is there any use for these dogtags I keep picking up? I found ten of them on Medical and as much as I suspect there's going to be something to unlock with them later, it's getting to be more than I can comfortably cart around.

I thought so too, but they're classified as junk items if you drop one on the floor and inspect it. I'm guessing the names on them are backers from the Kickstarter, because some of the names are quite obviously somebody's Internet handle.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

RoyalScion posted:

There's no RPG systems like leveling up, or getting new skills; you just get additional equipment and weapons as you go along.

Certain weapons are better to use on enemies than others, but if you really want to pump 500 pistol rounds into something you can, you just might have a bad time (and run out of ammo)

Ok, sold. I'm in the mood for shooty-shooty blasty-blasty sneaky-sneaky and was debating between this and Boltgun (I know they are pretty diametrically opposite) and I wasn't really interested in a big tech tree like SS2.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Should I be scrap focused or credits focused with my inventory?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I checked out the demo for a few minutes. It seems neat and I probably will check it out once I am done with Zelda and/or Street Fighter 6. There is one thing that bugged me: Using the wrench on the mutants felt like there was zero feedback, at least in comparison to the medical bots. Is it any better in the full game?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I checked out the demo for a few minutes. It seems neat and I probably will check it out once I am done with Zelda and/or Street Fighter 6. There is one thing that bugged me: Using the wrench on the mutants felt like there was zero feedback, at least in comparison to the medical bots. Is it any better in the full game?

Not at all. I'd say it is the biggest flaw to me so far.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Should I be scrap focused or credits focused with my inventory?

They're sort of the same thing. 10 scrap equals 1 credit, and any junk item that's worth credits at all is worth roughly half as much if you scrap it. It's a question of whether you feel like carrying items all the way back to a recycler or if you want to carry them around for later. There are also a handful of junk items that don't fit in the recycler at all, such as wrecked assault rifles.

In practice, there are a lot more credits in the game than you'd ever need to spend. I'd argue that you're better off leaving all junk items behind on your first run through a deck, then doubling back once it's clear and going on a recycling rampage.

Another recycling tip is that the game doesn't round up at all, so don't waste scrap by throwing less than a full stack of it into the recycler.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 31, 2023

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Wow so there's really no music in the opening area in the released game? That's certainly a choice. The original's Med lab music was a bit out of place, but they could have done something other than the droning ambient sounds.

*Arrived at level 2 and there is still no music and even the atmosphere is bare bones. :wtf: Is there something wrong with this release?

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 31, 2023

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I hope they add a font size option because some of the text when playing on Steam Deck is really tiny.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Alright so as someone who played the original when it was released, and backed this remake I'm a bit into level 2 now and am not really enjoying this. The almost complete lack of music or atmosphere is really killing it, and other than the graphics it doesn't seem like an improvement over the original, especially after fans were able to patch in mouse look. I'll try it again later, but am out of motivation at this point.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Made it to Research deck! and got mobbed by 4 mutants in the elevator, then the elevator music just kept playing while I walked back there :(

Mercury_Storm posted:

Wow so there's really no music in the opening area in the released game? That's certainly a choice. The original's Med lab music was a bit out of place, but they could have done something other than the droning ambient sounds.

*Arrived at level 2 and there is still no music and even the atmosphere is bare bones. :wtf: Is there something wrong with this release?

There should definitely be music. There wasn't any music in the opening after arriving at the Hacker's apartment as far as I could tell, but once you get into Citadel there is ambient music which is paced very differently to the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsLHzSySHtM&t=202s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3u9vO9UUE

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 31, 2023

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
So I wont get an awesome remix of the reactor level music. Lame.

On the bright side the after effects of the beserk patch make you hallucinate mutants from ss1:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AlternateNu posted:

Anyone playing it not on Steam?

yeah i got it on gog

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

TheMostFrench posted:

Made it to Research deck! and got mobbed by 4 mutants in the elevator, then the elevator music just kept playing while I walked back there :(

There should definitely be music. There wasn't any music in the opening after arriving at the Hacker's apartment as far as I could tell, but once you get into Citadel there is ambient music which is paced very differently to the original.

Wow ok,

I had to turn my computer speakers volume all the way up to the max and the the in-game music volume to 100% and the rest of the volume sliders to like 30-40 and now I can actually hear it. I'm not sure if it was playing the first time I booted the game at all! I'm still thinking there is something wrong though, because whatever I can hear with the music absolutely at max is very subtle and extremely soft.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 31, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mercury_Storm posted:

Wow ok,

I had to turn my speakers volume all the way up and the music volume to 100% and the rest of the volume sliders to like 30-40 and now I can actually hear it. I'm not sure if it was playing the first time I booted the game at all! I'm still thinking there is something wrong though, because whatever I can hear with the music absolutely at max is very subtle and extremely soft.

yeah, could be a bug? it was subtle but definitely there from the start with me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

is there any indication ss2 enhanced is going to be more than ss2 with a few texture and sound mods? i played that a while back and it's a blast, so i think that would be fine.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

pyrotek posted:

Not at all. I'd say it is the biggest flaw to me so far.

I will be honest I think it goes beyond just an esthetic I do not like and is kind of detrimental to gameplay (albeit for one specific weapon against one type of enemy) because I could not tell if I was hitting the drat things, beyond the hit indicator on the crosshairs and them falling over dead.

I mean, give me a sound effect, just something!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 31, 2023

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Wow ok,

I had to turn my computer speakers volume all the way up to the max and the the in-game music volume to 100% and the rest of the volume sliders to like 30-40 and now I can actually hear it. I'm not sure if it was playing the first time I booted the game at all! I'm still thinking there is something wrong though, because whatever I can hear with the music absolutely at max is very subtle and extremely soft.

That's really weird, my own sound settings are pretty much default, but I turned my own music down and I can still hear it over most other things.

Regarding the enemy hit feedback though, that definitely is a bit frustrating and sometimes even the enemies don't make attack sounds when they're right in front of you (e.g the barrel droids who do the spin attack with their arms).

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 31, 2023

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah the original music was iconic to me and as such the new music isn’t nearly as good but I guess they were going for more of a horror feel for this game.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the cyberspace music feels more present than it did in the original (in a roundabout way, seeing as there was ONLY music when you were in cyberspace) and I liked how they incorporated the intro theme with the security bot.

also, any GOG peeps in here having issues with the achievements? I just got to Research so I should've gotten a couple, at least, but nothing's showing up anywhere on my end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

RoyalScion posted:

Yeah the original music was iconic to me and as such the new music isn’t nearly as good but I guess they were going for more of a horror feel for this game.

Idk nothing makes me jump more than turning a corner in the original and hearing a security bot activate.

Unlucky7 posted:

I will be honest I think it goes beyond just an esthetic I do not like and is kind of detrimental to gameplay (albeit for one specific weapon against one type of enemy) because I could not tell if I was hitting the drat things, beyond the hit indicator on the crosshairs and them falling over dead.

I mean, give me a sound effect, just something!

Hitting enemies in the head seems to stun them based on my experience so far. Not that its easy with a charging mutant. Also the charged melee seems to stop them a little too (especially to the head) but if you get swarmed by 3 or more that wont help either.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 31, 2023