Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Steam PageLaunch TrailerSoundtrackPeppino's Pizzeria

Pizza Tower is a beautifully animated, lightning-fast platformer that puts you in the shoes of the perpetually distressed chef Peppino Spaghetti as he races to save his restaurant from the sinister Pizza Face. While clearly inspired by Wario Land, Pizza Tower puts its own spin on things, most apparent in how absurdly fast this game is. Peppino runs at such wild speeds he can climb walls, run across water, and bash through solid metal. And you'll need that speed during every levels' escape sequence that sees you running all the way back to the start while sick-rear end music plays. This game has been years in development and it shows - the game is jam packed with creativity, every level bringing new mechanics, new music, and new wonderfully animated pizza foes to piledrive. There's a level that introduces a slew of new mechanics, and then mid-level you switch to a different character that interacts with all those mechanics in completely different ways.

Will I enjoy this game if I love pizza?

I dare say this game has the most pizza and pizza-adjacent-elements of any computer game currently on the market. The most common recurring elements are mushrooms, cheese, tomatoes, sausages, and pineapples (yes, this game takes the brave stance of treating pineapple as a normal pizza topping with no hint of derision, and I salute the devs for it) but there is a great variety of pizza representation here. Pepperoni, olives, sardines, peppers, even Swedish banana pizza is here. If you are any kind of pizza scholar you will be in hog heaven.

Will I enjoy this game if I hate pizza?

Most of those aforementioned pizza elements are enemies that you will be destroying with terrible, horrible violence. You will delight in how Peppino running at top speed will make every enemy in his path drop their defenses in terror before getting blasted straight to pizza hell. The main antagonist is also a floating sentient pizza, so in a way this game is also the most anti-pizza game ever made.

Just who are these pizza folks?

Peppino Spaghetti is our hero, the anxious Italian chef of his own restaurant: Peppino's Pizzeria. Despite being little more than the manager of a failing pizza place, everyone seems to inexplicably despise and/or obsess over him. He is not actually wearing an apron but a white tank top, as he cannot afford a real one.

Gustavo is Peppino's... I want to say partner but it is actually unclear if he works with Peppino. Either way, he is also a pizza chef of some variety who is assisting in conquering the Pizza Tower, and is occasionally playable. The Mario to Peppino's Wario, his famous catchphrase "I'm going to kill you!" has captured the heart of gamers worldwide.

Brick the Rat is one of the many rats infesting the Pizza Tower, only this one seems to have developed a particular animosity towards Gustavo. Will they remain locked in mortal combat for all time or will they develop a respect for one another?

Mr. Stick is Peppino's moneylender, who is likely most responsible for Peppino's financial woes. While he assists you inside the tower by renting out gates to boss arenas, one could argue he is the true villain of this story. Which would be wrong, but you could argue it.

It is written that for every pizzeria, there must be a noid. The Noise is Peppino's. The Noise's manic antics, giddy nature, and media empire make him a true foil to our hero. He is planned to be is a playable character in the future now.

Pizzaface is the villain of this story, a floating sentient pizza that has it out for Peppino for some unknown reason. By unraveling the mysteries of the pizza tower, perhaps you will also discover the dark and twisted motivations behind this cheesy fiend. Or perhaps this is a comedy game where that poo poo doesn't matter but the fans will obsess over the lore anyway.

Gerome is the janitor.

Okay enough of the joke questions, how bout you write something actually useful?

There are quite a few special movement techniques:
  • During a grab on the ground, you can hold Down to quickly slide along the ground, a quick way to get through small tunnels.
  • During a superjump/shinespark, you can use the grab button to redirect the superjump into a charge to the side.
  • During a dive (down in the air while sprinting), pressing Jump will change the dive into a ground pound, which is the best way to do ground pounds at top speed.
  • During a grab charge in the air you can quickly press the opposite direction to immediately stop all horizontal movement, useful to avoid overshooting.
  • During a grab towards an enemy, if you hold Up you will launch into the air after grabbing them. You need to start holding Up during the grab, since if you hold it before you'll do an uppercut instead.
  • Doing a pose will break enemies out of a stunned state, which can be useful if you accidentally bumped an enemy you need to get past an obstacle. Posing will also immediately set off alarms in a lategame level.

I don't like time limits, will the escape sequences be too much for me?

The time limits are thankfully fairly generous for first time playthroughs and even if you do run out of time, rather than an instant failure Pizzaface will manifest and chase you down, giving you one last chance to get to the exit. Once you know a level inside and out, you actually have the option to run a second lap of the escape sequence in the remaining time for extra points. Note: the clocks during the escape sequence are just points, they don't actually modify the timer.

How does the score/ranking system work?

There are ranks from D to S, based solely on points. Defeating an enemy will begin a combo meter that can be replenished by defeating another enemy, collecting pickups, or doing certain significant actions. To get an S rank you will probably have to do everything - get all 5 toppins, all 3 secrets, the 1 hidden treasure, and the 2nd lap during the escape sequence. As this is a video game, you probably suspected that there's a ranking above S, and indeed there is. To get a fabled P rank you not only need to get everything in a level, but you also need to keep a single combo going the entire time, starting in the first room all the way to when you enter the exit. While this sounds imposing, the levels are designed extremely well for this task - there are almost always a handy line of pickups leading you on a proper path through the level, and I found P-ranking the whole game to be a ton of fun.

P-ranking boss levels is much simpler to explain: take no damage.

How can I dress Peppino up all pretty?

Outfits are unlocked globally, which is good since a number of them will probably require starting a new save file.
  • Garish Cook - Taunt 50 times.
  • Bad Bones - Hurt Peppino 50 times.
  • Blood Red - Kill 1000 total enemies.
  • Bowling Stripes - Kill 30 bowling pin rats.
  • Funny Polka - End a combo between 70-74.
  • Unfunny Cook - End a combo between 75-79.
  • Money Green - Collect all available toppins from worlds 1 and 2 before buying the world 2 boss gate.
  • Mooney Orange - Get all toppins in the game and give the money to Mr. Sticks Mooney.
  • Golden God - Get an S rank or better in every level.
  • TV Purple - Get a P rank in every level.
  • Dark Cook - Get a P rank (no hit) in every bossfight.
  • Pizza Man - Beat the game once.
  • PP Shirt - Beat the game twice, in different save files.
  • Itchy Sweater - Get punched by Grandpa in the city level. He's hidden in the very first room of the level, not hard to find.
  • lovely Cook - Crouch on a poop block in the sewer level for 10 seconds.
  • War Camo - Beat the war level the very first time you play it. Probably best saved for a second playthrough when you know the level.
  • Goldemanne - Get every achievement.
  • Sage Blue - Finish all Floor 1 levels in less than an hour.
  • John Suit - Beat the game with all hidden treasures in less than 2 hours, 15 minutes. A true challenge.

I typed PIZZA but have not received my pizza yet, please help

Have patience! Your pizza is in the mail.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I didn't back the kickstarter when it was live but it looked cool. Totally forgot about it then heard last month it was launching. I never played the Wario Land games other than the first and the gameplay looked fun. Enticed me enough to drop 20 bones on it.

It's Pizza Time has been stuck in my goddamn head for over a week now.

Everything about this game is so wonderful. The updated Wario gameplay, the Earthworm Jim-like cartoon aesthetic, the Sonic the Hedgehog speed when trying to but through the stage and back out of it. Everything is a perfect mix of what make games like that fun and went and made it better. I beat the game without hints and got only 4 treasures and a completion rate of 68%. They hide the treasures good.

I want more. I want more Pizza. I want more Tower. I want Tour De Pizza to make more games.

They make a good-a pizza.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 10, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Waffleopolis posted:

I didn't back the kickstarter when it was live but it looked cool. Totally forgot about it then heard last month it was launching. I never played the Wario Land games other than the first and the gameplay looked fun. Enticed me enough to drop 20 bones on it.

It was actually a Patreon development rather than Kickstarter for a change. Wish I was a backer cause then I could've added one of the pizza weirdos you rescue in the secrets.

Waffleopolis posted:

I want more. I want more Pizza. I want more Tower. I want Tour De Pizza to make more games.

I really hope we get more stuff beyond just playable Noise. I think they were planning co op at one point but I believe it got downgraded to "if we can make it work".

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

I really hope we get more stuff beyond just playable Noise. I think they were planning co op at one point but I believe it got downgraded to "if we can make it work".

I think I read that they are planning on releasing a level creator so that can be fun.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

pizza

With that out of the way, I am throwing my hat in this fun game. Already beaten it at 81% with both John AND Snotty Approved stickers. Game is still hella fun, even as I scream as my combo meter ends and my P becomes a basic bitch S.

Currently probably gonna wipe up the pizzachievements before I try getting the John suit and WAR camo.

Shootouts to the Golf level and the Don't Make A Sound level for having some of the most interesting loading screens, as seen here:

And of course, special mention to the last two bosses: Fake Peppino's Peppino Pizza 2, and Pizzahead's psychotic cartoony rear end.

Pigbuster posted:

There was a trailer for playable Vigilante. And maybe more Gustavo and Brick Power Hour times.

Comedy options: Noisette and Snick

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
All the level poster art is so good, especially for something you can only see for a few seconds at a time.

Good luck on getting the John suit. It should be easier now that you can skip 9 toppins - Golf being the most obvious skip.

widespread posted:

Comedy options: Noisette and Snick

Snick was actually playable in the SAGE demo. I'm sad he's mostly just an easter egg in the final game, his animations are hilarious. And all the pickups are changed into onion rings, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D22Ej7Bjyzc

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I've been slowly P ranking my way through the game and I've reached floor 4 now, and I think this has a strong chance of winding up my GOTY.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like so much about this game but I really just wanted another Wario Land and this most definitely ain’t that. The focus on speed/combos is not my bag but it’s something I could get over, but the first boss is super annoying and not my style at all. I barely managed to kill him once and then it turns out there’s a loving second phase. No thanks. Glad I gave money to a cool independent dev and the art style is a lot of fun, but I don’t think this is for me.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Escobarbarian posted:

I like so much about this game but I really just wanted another Wario Land and this most definitely ain’t that. The focus on speed/combos is not my bag but it’s something I could get over, but the first boss is super annoying and not my style at all. I barely managed to kill him once and then it turns out there’s a loving second phase. No thanks. Glad I gave money to a cool independent dev and the art style is a lot of fun, but I don’t think this is for me.

I do generally agree with this sentiment, so I am trying hard to stop comparing it to Wario Land, which I think does it a disservice. It's totally fair not to like it though. Like you said, it's quite different from Wario Land despite its similarities.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The soundtrack is already frontrunner for best of the year for me.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Picked this up on a whim and this is already probably the greatest pizza game of the year.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
this game's soundtrack is so insane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTqlmNYk0KQ

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

moosferatu posted:

I do generally agree with this sentiment, so I am trying hard to stop comparing it to Wario Land, which I think does it a disservice. It's totally fair not to like it though. Like you said, it's quite different from Wario Land despite its similarities.

I'll go a step further with separating it from Wario Land and say I love Pizza Tower and only found most Wario Land games decent (the 1st one was my favorite). It's obvious that it draws inspiration from the WL series but the fluidity of movement and comedy in PT really makes it its own thing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/crayoola/status/1624485962922221568?s=20&t=bbeNJK4t2Q4jqOJg4fLJfA

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The slew of Celeste + Pizza Tower fanart is both very fun and also fairly bizarre because it is honestly hard to imagine Peppino having a rational interaction with anyone.

Madeline in PT style is my favorite:

https://twitter.com/EllisBros/status/1623397752737763328
https://twitter.com/NooshsStuff/status/1624268810931798018

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 12, 2023

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I think the Celeste x Pizza Tower pic got folks to do other crossovers.

... I'm having trouble finding suitable links to them but the Gordon Freeman one is pretty aces.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

widespread posted:

I think the Celeste x Pizza Tower pic got folks to do other crossovers.

... I'm having trouble finding suitable links to them but the Gordon Freeman one is pretty aces.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha these are so fuckin cool

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man the end of this game goes hard this might be the best implementation of the final boss rush I’ve ever seen. Pepino is loving done with their poo poo. You get the mechanical callback without it being tedious. Then you get the victory last lap escape that brings back every stage gimmick

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Another one!

https://twitter.com/binej_yeah/status/1624753107488980994?t=_bAVpVbMEstvpT1KcMTEaA&s=19

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There really aren't words to do justice to how good and smooth it feels to play with the movement in this game. As a long time watcher since the crowdfund and incredible soundtrack was announced I'm so thrilled to see this insane passion project be fully realized. This game is so sincere it is perfect and I was blown away by the precision needed to do something like no-hit Pepperman, especially remembering the original beta version that was a larger normal enemy.

When you hit that support pillar and Pizza Time starts the joy is sublime. I hope speedrunners take to this bad boy like nothing else. :allears:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 13, 2023

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

This is peak pizzaing

https://twitter.com/LuminariRox65/status/1622286430490841094?t=OugcS2BaW_lUBK7rmJWjPA&s=19

Makes me wonder if you can do a successful escape from the pillar to the entrance all while Pizzaface is chasing you.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 13, 2023

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i've noticed the time it takes for pizzaface to spawn in seems to vary by room. I think it may be set up such that you could theoretically run infinite laps as long as you input perfectly

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Peppino is unironically the best video game protagonist.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The finale is so satisfying, how often do you see a game that's just perfect at what it does 100% of the way through. :allears:

I'm not sure if my gaming reflexes will let me get very far in mastering this game, though my John Gutter is down to 2:04. I can do well in a lot of gaming but perfection in minutes long execution ain't it. If nothing else I can find everything and try out S ranks.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 17, 2023

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

How we have a Pizza Tower DOOM mod!

https://twitter.com/NathusSilverus/status/1626203459782602754

By the way, what do you all play the game with? I did my first run with a controller but thinking of using the keyboard for the next.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
controller is more than good enough for me, but i use the d pad instead of joystick because i'm not a masochist

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Waffleopolis posted:

By the way, what do you all play the game with? I did my first run with a controller but thinking of using the keyboard for the next.

Controller, with the control stick like a doofus, though the new control options they added last patch make that way more feasible.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Controller with Superjump Button but Groundpound Joystick. I seem to hit my downs reliably but hitting up and holding it while also angling to one side was missing me a lot of superjumps.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Waffleopolis posted:

I started playing with my Hitbox. Went into Steam Input and swapped the Up and Light Punch buttons, so I could jump with my left thumb and do Dragon Punches with LP+MP. Makes menuing pretty funky but in-game it feels pretty good

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God drat this game is GOOD. There's a real joy to the movement, it looks absolutely amazing and has one of the best soundtracks I've heard recently.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

this game owns and the soundtrack is just not stop great Like was watching a friend play (after finishing myself) and kept finding myself going "oh THIS level has a great track"

I can see how the ms-paint-esque artstyle can be off putting to some but I just love it, there's just something so raw and fun about how they use it. Enemy reaction animations are such a good touch for this reason too.

Waffleopolis posted:

How we have a Pizza Tower DOOM mod!

https://twitter.com/NathusSilverus/status/1626203459782602754

I love so much of the fan stuff coming out around this game.

I did controller for the majority of my playthrough but keyboard is actually not bad - I feel like it might help a bit with duck/dive inputs if you have a less stellar dpad.

Countblanc posted:

I'll go a step further with separating it from Wario Land and say I love Pizza Tower and only found most Wario Land games decent (the 1st one was my favorite). It's obvious that it draws inspiration from the WL series but the fluidity of movement and comedy in PT really makes it its own thing.
The comparison makes a lot more sense now that I've actually touched Wario Land 4 - the moveset and basic level and hub structure are almost straight up lifted from that (and the soundtrack has tons of inspiration - going by youtube comments they even had to remove some samples to prempt Nintendo coming after them) - but you can tell what things they homed in on to make it their own - namely, speed. Like WL4 has something akin to the mach dash, but the Pizza Tower devs went "what if we doubled down on that?"

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 18, 2023

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
PIZZA

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
So it turns out Sauceman found out everyone was mishearing "DOOR STUCK" in the peppibot factory song and blessed us accordingly months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ZUqNGcpro

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013
Pizza Tower really good

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
My Game of the Year already in a year that's going to be absolutely stacked. It's going to be hard to top this one for me.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Been following the dev cycle for about 4 years- then it just drops onto Steam unceremoniously, but I couldn't be happier.

Just P-Ranked the first level and it was one of the most insane moments in any game I've played.

10/10 game

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
This game is actually insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Having finished 101%'ing the game, this is almost certainly my GOTY for 2023. The art is charming and consistently amusing, the soundtrack is filled with a wide variety of songs that are all amazing but most importantly the gameplay and level design just absolutely nail what it's going for. Controlling Peppino Spaghetti is generally very smooth & intuitive and the levels are, mostly hello Bloodsauce Dungeon, laid out really well to make going as fast as possible feel natural while almost every level has at least one unique mechanic or gimmick that doesn't get reused leading to your progress through the tower consistently feeling fresh.
It's just a game that's oozing with love and pizza the entire way through.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 20, 2023