Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Einwand posted:

Having finished 101%'ing the game, this is almost certainly my GOTY for 2023. The art is charming and consistently amusing, the soundtrack is filled with a wide variety of songs that are all amazing but most importantly the gameplay and level design just absolutely nail what it's going for. Controlling Peppino Spaghetti is generally very smooth & intuitive and the levels are, mostly hello Bloodsauce Dungeon, laid out really well to make going as fast as possible feel natural while almost every level has at least one unique mechanic or gimmick that doesn't get reused leading to your progress through the tower consistently feeling fresh.
It's just a game that's oozing with love and pizza the entire way through.

Is 101% all achievements, P-Ranks and secrets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

Is 101% all achievements, P-Ranks and secrets?

P rank on every level including bosses and all the chef tasks, yes. Other than the John suit getting every secret treasure and completing the game in under 2 hours and 15 minutes and the clothes for beating the game twice I've done everything possible beyond self imposed challenges or speedrun attempts.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 20, 2023

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Einwand posted:

P rank on every level including bosses and all the chef tasks, yes. Other than the John suit getting every secret treasure and completing the game in under 2 hours and 15 minutes and the clothes for beating the game twice I've done everything possible beyond self imposed challenges or speedrun attempts.

Is your 101% run Snotty Approved? Serious question.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

widespread posted:

Is your 101% run Snotty Approved? Serious question.

Tragically no, by the time I realized that was a thing I'd already murdered the poor creature by accident, when I eventually go back and do it all again I'll be sure to get a real 101% file.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Einwand posted:

Tragically no, by the time I realized that was a thing I'd already murdered the poor creature by accident, when I eventually go back and do it all again I'll be sure to get a real 101% file.

You loving better.

SAME FOR THE REST OF YOU HERE. SNOTTY APPROVED OR BUST.

Here's mine with all Toppins and treasures.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Einwand posted:

:rip: Snotty, I threw him into The Noise the first chance I got and never looked back.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is The Vigilante anywhere in the level 3 lobby? They do the joke with Pepperman and The Noise so I was surprised they don't do it with him.

EDIT: Nevermind, answered my own question.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 20, 2023

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
The fact this game feels so snappy when the graphics are as overloaded as they are is a miracle. It feels like it has completely eaten both sonic and wariolands lunch, and resurrected the earth worm jim- like in the process. Absolutely fantastic.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Man I cannot get the pizza time theme out of my head, God that is such a good song

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Umbreon posted:

Man I cannot get the pizza time theme out of my head, God that is such a good song

I think pizza time never ends is my favorite song in the soundtrack.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't even remember seeing Snotty. I wonder if I just ran into him or attacked without even considering that it was a strange place for an enemy.

Cold Spaghetti is easily my favorite track. Bone in My Spaghetti is solid too since it's the same motif.

But the main pizza time motif is definitely stuck in my head.

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
My favorite tweets have already been posted cept for this one which strangely hits with me.

https://twitter.com/Somniac3/status/1615901749688127488

I love games that take years and then they feel like so much love was put into them. I love Pizza Tower.

And yes, playing Pizza Tower got me to get some pizza. I'm normally not one for it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
the Pizza Tower ost is top tier but I have to give a special shout out to the themes of all the 3rd floor levels (Tropical Crust, mmm yess put the tree on my pizza, Wudpecker, Good Eatin', and Extraterrestrial Wah Wahs)

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
2nd lap theme is so loving insane, it makes every run through feel like hell is breaking loose even after you've already cleared it a dozen times

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

https://twitter.com/HoboGuyCool/status/1626696988514308100?t=6pw9bCFIzL-LWpvbBulHQw&s=19

I seriously hope a console version for all platforms happens. I don't think the team plans on it but give it to the hands of someone like Devolver Digital to do it.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 20, 2023

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Finished the game a few days ago. The part where it really started to click was when I finally figured out the direction grab cancel/downward jump slam thing. Still pretty awful at some of the trickier wallrun cancel things though.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

:toot:

This was originally my John Suit speedrun file, but then I abandoned my first save for it because I had shamefully killed Snotty.

Next up, the Holy poo poo judgement (95%+ in under 4 hours)

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Went for a run today for the first time in months after listening to It's Pizza Time. I feel like I have unlocked a dark secret

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Should I be using a gamepad for this or continuing to use keyboard? I'm used to keyboard from my time playing other ancient old man platformers but I've heard peppino is a little more manageable using a controller

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Grapplejack posted:

Should I be using a gamepad for this or continuing to use keyboard? I'm used to keyboard from my time playing other ancient old man platformers but I've heard peppino is a little more manageable using a controller

A controller with a good D-pad will go a long way. I've been using a USB Pokken controller and so far it's been pretty great. I've got charge on R, superjump on L, and ground slam on A (Nintendo A, B on Xbox) since that's not being used by any other actions in-game. Otherwise it's set up standard like any other controller.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
I love the art so much. Every single spite brings me joy to look at. I would kill for a sticker pack of random sprites. I would buy several.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

The new controller options make it a lot more viable - I use left trigger for superjump and B for ground pounds, though I also still allow down to groundpound since it feels better for suplexes.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Works perfectly fine for me on keyboard. If you aren't having any issues, I wouldn't bother changing and having to relearn muscle memory but that's just me.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Finally got that John Gutter sub 2 minute. That's a lot of getting good for a first stage achievement! And I was able to rerun it and get an S Rank. Lil baby pizza chef imagining his first P Rank becoming attainable.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Are the toppin-tronics in Don't Make A Sound too much? Now you too can make it OKTOBERFEST FOREVER.

I saw it on the PT Discord and yeah,, this might be good to share here too.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
oh my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uia0Gwm8rJc

you have got to be kidding me

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pep, or some say, Peppino

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

widespread posted:

Are the toppin-tronics in Don't Make A Sound too much? Now you too can make it OKTOBERFEST FOREVER.

I saw it on the PT Discord and yeah,, this might be good to share here too.

I thought it was pretty silly when I saw people were bothered by the “jump scares” in that level since they’re so tame but I can get on board with this

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Augus posted:

I thought it was pretty silly when I saw people were bothered by the “jump scares” in that level since they’re so tame but I can get on board with this

I think I read somewhere that this can be read as "Peppino gets white girl wasted with the toppin-tronics and somehow gets himself stuck in one before sobering up".

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

I thought they got a little annoying / can see people really not like getting screamed at.

Also, some fun lap 2 quirks I noticed watching P Rank runs on youtube:
War kicks you back to the start - you get a bunch of timer increases in a special room, but none for the rest of the level are respawned and you don't have the shotgun. Pig City has a special swap to Gustavo spot hidden behind the pillar that you wouldn't otherwise see. This causes space time to break because there are now two peppinos. (No wait, wrong game.) I assume Gnome Forest is the same.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

I thought they got a little annoying / can see people really not like getting screamed at.

Also, some fun lap 2 quirks I noticed watching P Rank runs on youtube:
War kicks you back to the start - you get a bunch of timer increases in a special room, but none for the rest of the level are respawned and you don't have the shotgun. Pig City has a special swap to Gustavo spot hidden behind the pillar that you wouldn't otherwise see. This causes space time to break because there are now two peppinos. (No wait, wrong game.) I assume Gnome Forest is the same.

The most impactful one is that right before Freezerator’s lap two portal is a milk station that removes the Devil’s Choice powerup so you need to do lap 2 without it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh that's cool, I guess you really see/notice the powerup remover otherwise too? (Or did I just forget having it cleansed before finishing?)
e: Okay yeah, normally you don't see that. Is Devils Choice the only powerup you can enter doors and go through the exit with?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 23, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Cleaned up my War runs enough to get the three achievements and gotta be my favorite level. Extra banging theme in an OST of full bangers, incredible rhythm and flow to movement, perfect late game level to really see how good you've gotten.

Almost got a last boss P Rank but got hit by a loving somersault recovery out of his vulnerability. You really can't hesitate on those, though I cleaned up my timing practicing to get my John Approved sticker so just a matter of time. Luckily the fights are such joy to do even multiple times in a row.

Gonna be sad when I'm mostly done with this game, what a gem.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Doomykins posted:

Cleaned up my War runs enough to get the three achievements and gotta be my favorite level. Extra banging theme in an OST of full bangers, incredible rhythm and flow to movement, perfect late game level to really see how good you've gotten.

Almost got a last boss P Rank but got hit by a loving somersault recovery out of his vulnerability. You really can't hesitate on those, though I cleaned up my timing practicing to get my John Approved sticker so just a matter of time. Luckily the fights are such joy to do even multiple times in a row.

Gonna be sad when I'm mostly done with this game, what a gem.

There's also the Scoutdigo mod (only available through their discord). With hip new features like playable Noise and Vigilante, Arenas, DEATH MODE, and even a key hunt in the hub. The key hunt, I dunno what it leads to. I just know it's endgame stuff.

Getting in said discord requires you to own a copy of Pizza Tower on Steam, and it has to be manually verified by folks.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1068228014342684712/1079428682881441842/deer_is_late_for_school_1.mp4

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

widespread posted:

There's also the Scoutdigo mod (only available through their discord). With hip new features like playable Noise and Vigilante, Arenas, DEATH MODE, and even a key hunt in the hub. The key hunt, I dunno what it leads to. I just know it's endgame stuff.

Getting in said discord requires you to own a copy of Pizza Tower on Steam, and it has to be manually verified by folks.

Oh sweet. However where's the full game Gustavo mode????

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Doomykins posted:

Oh sweet. However where's the full game Gustavo mode????

I'd say also Scoutdigo buuuut it's not as polished

That said, gently caress that I'm going to play the Doise

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Pizza Tower fanart fukken rules:

https://twitter.com/KetArtDragon/status/1630275084408569857?t=v0XsE_7YFDQ-FBlxJYJKrg&s=19

https://twitter.com/Daund3r/status/1630331330050375680?t=BgZ2G0EOMi0b-NyM1G0JEw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Picking up more S Ranks. Realizing P Ranks are possible for me now. Amazing how this game trains you if you stick with it. My overall skill has risen dramatically just playing well enough to clear levels fully and get achievements. Got my John Gutter 99 combo too, surprisingly smooth and easy to learn.

The mods and community for this game are crazy. Think you're good at Pizza Man? OK, how about Lap 3 good? P Rank Lap 3 War! As I predicted watching pros speed run this stuff is art. :allears:

Edit: War doesn't show it but Lap 3 forces you to dodge Pizzaface for an entire lap!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 1, 2023