Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
P Ranked John Gutter.

Just like hard drugs the first hit is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
seems like the dev sucks

tl;dr the dev is stuck in 2007 4chan

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

For what it's worth, dev regrets that stuff, so it's not like a JK Rowling situation.

How much that's worth is up to the individual, of course.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all he said was a few unfunny early 2000s jokes, i couldnt really care about a guy saying human being 5-6 years ago and saying 'yeah that wasnt really funny' when called on it

even the guy who posted those discord logs is currently rting pizza tower fanart and talking about liking it so this clearly isnt that big a deal

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
yeah if we banished everyone who said something dumb on the internet and later realized it was dumb 5+ years later, there would be nobody on the internet over the age of 6

e: memories of the time i spoke to a guy who had a grudge against neil cicirega and the basis for this grudge was "he said the n-word in fyad once ten years prior"

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 4, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Guy used way too much annoying internet lingo in discord posts from 2018, and I for one have lost a lot of respect for him.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I can't believe a guy said off color jokes, in 2018, in a discord full of his friends. He should be murdered for it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

seems like the dev sucks

tbqh that reads less like they are a bigot and more like they were as irony-poisoned as everyone else on the internet in 2018

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 4, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fyi the one with the pepe/the joke about trump's walls is them making fun of 4chan for calling them a lib but taken out of context

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Tweet's been deleted, fyi.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mcpig responded to the allegations (lol) by just saying that it wasn't very funny looking back at it so the person had to delete it cuz their little cancel crusade wasn't going to go anywhere.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
im permabanned poster pizzastomper58. i first started making pizza when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "toppings" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "it's pizza time" and "yeaow-ow-ow-owh!" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing tv screens with me in them in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on fun farm featuring special guest mort the chicken. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of pizza the pizza tower was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" pizza tower to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a speedrunning. peace-a.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ryaomon posted:

im permabanned poster pizzastomper58. i first started making pizza when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "toppings" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "it's pizza time" and "yeaow-ow-ow-owh!" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing tv screens with me in them in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on fun farm featuring special guest mort the chicken. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of pizza the pizza tower was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" pizza tower to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a speedrunning. peace-a.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ryaomon posted:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I saw someone streaming this a few times and had to pick it up, everything about it looks good

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Improbable Lobster posted:

seems like the dev sucks

Brutal to Kramer on into a thread trying to cancel someone and getting completely shrugged at since he apologized.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 5, 2023

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Yeah this seems like a whole lotta nothing here.

Let's talk about how skilled this is instead.

https://twitter.com/konekokujo/status/1628688622592614401

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

lol drat

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The one thing I can agree crosses a line are the tribal cheese enemies, but I can't help but be kinda amused that their aggro animation was probably meant to be a war whoop but instead everyone sees it as a pogchamp face now

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'd heard about Pizza Tower in passing, but when told there was a demo I somehow found this instead of the actual demo. Still not sure if it's an early build or a fangame or what, but I didn't dig it too much. Later I stumbled upon the actual demo and thought it was pretty fun, so I picked it up.

A few hours in and it's pretty rad, though I'm still so bad the prospect of getting anything higher than an A-rank is still pure fantasy.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite part of that cancel tweet is that 1/3 to 2/3 of the discord screens listed don't actually support the argument. :allears:

Bad Seafood posted:

A few hours in and it's pretty rad, though I'm still so bad the prospect of getting anything higher than an A-rank is still pure fantasy.

Two great things about Pizza Tower are that you can slow roll your way through almost the entire game and have a wonderful time seeing each stage and boss and get a really satisfying finish and game, and then it gradually trains you the entire time to be better if you want mastery. So you can set it down when you're done or keep at it and realize how attainable a lot of the tougher stuff really is.

Hell you can do most S Ranks by going through levels slowly and carefully! Even the escapes are timed so that they can be run through twice with tryhard effort so they have enormous leeway.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I figured I'd take a crack at modding the two problematic enemies, tribal cheese and Mr. Pinch, into new ones that still fit in their level's themes. The latter I'm planning on making a sewer clown that grabs and throws Peppino, but that's going to take a lot of custom sprite work to replace.

For now though I've got in Government Cheese which operate weather machines that control the thunderstorm clouds in the Oregano Desert. It felt like federal-agent-themed cheese slimes would be a better fit, since there's also the whole UFO segment toward the end of the level.

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1632373866738876417

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dieting Hippo posted:

I figured I'd take a crack at modding the two problematic enemies, tribal cheese and Mr. Pinch, into new ones that still fit in their level's themes. The latter I'm planning on making a sewer clown that grabs and throws Peppino, but that's going to take a lot of custom sprite work to replace.

For now though I've got in Government Cheese which operate weather machines that control the thunderstorm clouds in the Oregano Desert. It felt like federal-agent-themed cheese slimes would be a better fit, since there's also the whole UFO segment toward the end of the level.

Good job coming up with an actually plausible alternative that handles all of the seemingly-too-specific mechanics. The walkie talkie is inspired.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that's a really fun spin on the enemy.

...and I totally made a discord emote of the "pog" face when I first saw the enemy.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Dieting Hippo posted:

"government cheese" is such an inspired pun, goddamn :golfclap:

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 5, 2023

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dieting Hippo posted:

:laffo: This is incredibly inspired. Good work!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Dieting Hippo posted:

At least we all can agree that the cheese should pog at Peppino

That said, wonder if you can also look at Noise's piledriver move

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
What's with the wizard that shows up for a split second in the John Gutter level pillar room when you get there fast enough?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

yook posted:

What's with the wizard that shows up for a split second in the John Gutter level pillar room when you get there fast enough?

I'm pretty sure most of the levels have a brief instance of the pizza tower guy if you're going extremely quickly, it's just one of many little weird one off jokes I think?

yook
Mar 11, 2001

Yeah, that explains it. It says he can show up anywhere when you get to the pillar in under a minute but I've likely only ever done that on John Gutter Hall due to the 2 minute run achievement. I thought maybe he disappeared on a timer so it was just me being a little slow, but it happens whenever you approach him, which I'm usually doing at mach 3. I wasn't finding anything on him since he's not specific to the level and isn't actually wearing a wizard robe.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/ganglemanVA/status/1628529473493794816

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

P Ranked Pizzascape shortly after John Gutter and have almost S Ranked the entire game now. P Ranked War going for the S Rank! Just perfect hardcore level flow, finished a secret with 3 seconds left, whew.

Pizza game good.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

All S Ranks and P Ranked Boss 4 and 5 today. Heart really jackhammers when you get a clean ride into the last stretch of the last boss.

What a ride. And I know I'll be trying P Ranks soon enough but even if I don't I can say with true satisfaction that this is my GOTY, one of my GOAT, and just pure delight all the way through. All killer, no filler.

Finally... I'm Italian.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Building a time machine so I can ask the pizza guys to reconsider including that one sliding statue in the Pepperman fight.

The amount of restarts that statue has given me alone might be two-thirds of all my restarts to date.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if you hold right and mash attack at the beginning of the Noise fight, so that Peppino charges at him on the first frame the fight begins, you get a free hit on him. this says everything you need to know about how Peppino feels about The Noise.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Building a time machine so I can ask the pizza guys to reconsider including that one sliding statue in the Pepperman fight.

The amount of restarts that statue has given me alone might be two-thirds of all my restarts to date.

Sharing some wisdom because I perfected Pepperman and Vigilante with 100% dodges.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I see. I'll give that a shot then.

I'd been practicing parries, but the statue always seemed simultaneously too slow and too wide, like I'd come out of my pose just in time to take damage off the back end, but that might just be my eyes exaggerating the threat level. Pepperman's big too, but fast enough that I felt more confident in parrying his attacks. I can actually do the first half of the fight hitless, it's just the statues that were psyching me out.

EDIT: Aaaand that's exactly what happened. Too slow, too wide, coming out the back of the invincibly frames while his hitbox is still clipping mine.

DOUBLE EDIT: FINALLY got him, oof, needed to celebrate after that one.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 12, 2023

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

My big advice for P ranking the bosses, other than the 3rd floor one, is to just take it slow if it seems like it could be unsafe to try and get a hit in. Unlike the stages there's no time pressure what so ever to force you to go fast, and since most of the bosses have very consistent attack patterns based on how much hp they have left you can just let them cycle their attacks if it combines poorly with some of the more random elements that are added on top.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Doomykins posted:

Sharing some wisdom because I perfected Pepperman and Vigilante with 100% dodges.

i keep forgetting that the parry exists. ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yook
Mar 11, 2001

Parry works on a lot of stuff for The Noise and helps a ton. You can use it to knock his bombs out of the air and it stops damage from his other two attacks that are otherwise hard to predict. Bait his decoy and remember to avoid his counter attack after slamming him and that's most of it.

4th floor boss is mainly learning what attack he's using and when he's vulnerable. There's a lot of visual clutter, but anything that's not the specifically the attack being used for that phase of the fight won't hurt you so you can just walk though them. He's vulnerable pretty often, but there's no explicit visual cue so you just got to learn it.

Dumb as it is, the most useful thing I learned for P rank on the final boss was that holding the jump button lets you bounce higher off of enemies. It helps with avoiding enemies and getting in damage in more consistently. Once I could get past the first phase without getting hit reliably, I don't think there's any big trick. Just that most of his attacks have extra subtleties you wouldn't pick up on without trying to do the entire thing without getting hit and keeping track of how many attacks he's going to use in a row based on his health bar.