Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I found that the invincibility frames for a successful parry or attack are enormous, like I'd get away from spots where I was guaranteed to take damage except I got the input in just ahead of that. Some boss attacks feel much safer to parry, like I'll always parry Noise doing a jetpack dash or Phase 2 Pizza Head throwing Brick!

And yeah every boss is a slow burn. Pepperman especially on his last two hits, double especially if he finishes his charges and is next to the statue you want to grab. I underestimated how fast he'd enter a new charge at least twice! I think Phase 2 statues are based on time, so you should always expect one about every so often(or every so many Pepperman attacks.) One of my longest P Ranks was Vigilante since the two ghost farmer spawns are such a hassle.

yook posted:

Once I could get past the first phase without getting hit reliably, I don't think there's any big trick. Just that most of his attacks have extra subtleties you wouldn't pick up on without trying to do the entire thing without getting hit and keeping track of how many attacks he's going to use in a row based on his health bar.

His vulnerability frame shrinks dramatically for the last two combos! Like 1 second or less to dash in, so you need to be adjacent and almost threatening to hurt yourself with how fast you dash in once you think he's finishing the attack animation! His amazing last bastard trick... I lost a last boss P Rank on the final hit to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i have yet to play this game but i've watched a lot of videos of it because the animation and vibes are very good and also the song from the golf level whips

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

tbh im kind of disappointed the thread subtitle is not "yall ready to get funky?"

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Doomykins posted:

His vulnerability frame shrinks dramatically for the last two combos! Like 1 second or less to dash in, so you need to be adjacent and almost threatening to hurt yourself with how fast you dash in once you think he's finishing the attack animation! His amazing last bastard trick... I lost a last boss P Rank on the final hit to this.
Yeah, the shortened vulnerability time in the last phase is why you'd have to memorize the number of attacks to do it reliably. I think the pattern is something like 1-1-1-2-2-3 with the single attacks basically being a preview reel since they never seemed to repeat.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm pretty sure that phase's attack pattern is based on how many times you've hit them, if you don't attack them at all they'll just keep looping whatever attack(s) they just did.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

Yeah, that's meant to be how many attacks he does before becoming vulnerable with the assumption that you're hitting him each time it comes up since it's pretty easy to do once you know the pattern.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

i have yet to play this game but i've watched a lot of videos of it because the animation and vibes are very good and also the song from the golf level whips

Mmmm tasty

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Oxyclean posted:

tbh im kind of disappointed the thread subtitle is not "yall ready to get funky?"
Not all of us are ready to get funky.

Yet.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

:toot: though I still have 3 floors to P-rank if I want to fully finish this thing.

I'm leaning toward the idea that S ranks should basically be approached as trying to do P rank but failing. The most annoying thing about doing S rank was coming up barely short in points and feeling like I had to chase down every pick up and enemy. The super long combo gives such a glut of points, it's pretty freeing in terms of getting to pick your route and being able to cherry pick what bits you want to bother with. It is a bit of a weird mentality since combo and secrets ends up being the only things that really matter. I got hit like 6 times in a successful run and it was fine because I could immediately grab something to keep the combo going, but the actual worst bits are anything transversal where you go an extended time without nabbing anything or have to backtrack through an area after going through it once. Thankfully, the long combo means you can smooth over a lot of awkward bits with that up+breakdance screen clearing ability, assuming there's at least one enemy on the screen somewhere.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Gettin' mad about the Gnome Forest P Rank, especially that suuuuper long stretch halfway through where you need to boot Brick in mid-air to hit a big score power up at the last second.

I got 12 of them so far, may be crashing into the ones I just ain't gonna do? You can really feel it when a level has perfect natural flow like Deep Dish 9 and when it's really jerky like Fun Farm or Gnome Forest.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh yeah, I should show this to prove that I sugar-coated Noise. As it turns out, parries are actually useful for no damage.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

Doomykins posted:

Gettin' mad about the Gnome Forest P Rank, especially that suuuuper long stretch halfway through where you need to boot Brick in mid-air to hit a big score power up at the last second.
I think I got to that point last night, though I was trying to get it with double jumping, which sometimes missed. It seemed to me like the big determinant if there was a chance was whether you could cancel the run just before the column of bounce shrooms since the timing is so tight that the split second bounce off the wall basically makes the run unrecoverable. I was messing with trying to use the full screen super to clear the goblins in the room above as a way to keep combo going with more room for error, but I think I'd always already bounced off the wall by then and dropped combo right when it hits. It might be worth to devoting a run just to making sure there aren't any hidden breakable walls since the level has a couple random ones and the timing does seem very tight.

I had one run last night where I was able to get into the second loop with a 112 combo, but the icon was still showing S rank, so I assumed I messed up somewhere and restarted the run. I realized halfway through the next attempt that it probably was still a viable run, the level just has a weird layout where the third secret is next to the entrance so you wouldn't clear it until you've already finished both loops. For most levels you've already done all secrets by then, so the P would normally shows up once you start the second loop or get enough points for S, but not for this one.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah that's definitely the one, the rhythm is so hard to maintain on the three shrooms you bounce up and then you need to jerk hard to the left.

oh god great point on secret 3 I totally would've missed that. The Lap 2 marker is so far from the third secret that you can't get the third secret and then go do lap 2. You've saved future me from a hair pull moment. :tipshat:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

After getting walled by Fun Farm and Gnome Forest I was wondering if it was time to hang up my tank top.

Got Pig City P Rank today! Really fun run, I guess Gustavo and Brick aren't inherently a problem, it's just the rhythm of Gnome Forest plaguing me. Lots of close calls in Pig City but the ability to super taunt or kick Brick was so good in that level. Saved me from a lot of near losses to taking hits.

Left To Do posted:

Fun Farm
Oregano Desert
Golf
Crusty Cove
Gnome Forest
Peppibot Factory
Oh poo poo
Ice Level
Don't Make A Sound
Pizzascare

Closing in on mastery here, what an incredible game.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

For Don’t Make A Sound, the taunt/parry/breakdance button will trip the alarm immediately so you don’t need to wait the 5 seconds it normally takes to go off.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

yook posted:

For Don’t Make A Sound, the taunt/parry/breakdance button will trip the alarm immediately so you don’t need to wait the 5 seconds it normally takes to go off.

You can also taunt to make enemies with useful projectiles attack you early, like the wing throwers in Desert or bomb goblins.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the trophy completion percentages are a pretty good indicator of how dedicated this game's playerbase is, i think

i just spent almost two drat hours getting the "don't touch the lava" trophy in bloodsauce dungeon and that thing still has >10% completion

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've choked on the lava achievement twice now in the process of jumping the last possible pit. I needed to take a short break both times. I also got my first proper P-rank in John Gutter (and also against Pepperman) and could feel my heart racing. Peppino's energetic anxiety was the perfect match for this game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

HOLY poo poo does Oh poo poo(hahahaha) want you to drop that combo. Those freaking Pizza Ninjas! And it feels twice as long as most levels, though it's really just twice as complicated in the routing. That cheese zombie section right after John is such a god drat trap too, I had to try to uppercut over one of the 4 little power up clumps, hit 3, that 1 might have saved me when I was wall humping after the roll down to touch a drat clock.

And of course the time honored finishing lap 2 with Pizzaface within 5 yards of me, making my heart rate double.

got it tho

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Doomykins posted:

HOLY poo poo does Oh poo poo(hahahaha) want you to drop that combo. Those freaking Pizza Ninjas! And it feels twice as long as most levels, though it's really just twice as complicated in the routing. That cheese zombie section right after John is such a god drat trap too, I had to try to uppercut over one of the 4 little power up clumps, hit 3, that 1 might have saved me when I was wall humping after the roll down to touch a drat clock.

pick up the cheese blob crawling around by the switch and it'll get clobbered as you get caught in the cheese boulder, giving you plenty of time to reach the clocks at the exit to the room

Doomykins posted:

this one's actually hosed though, gustavo can't even pick up enemies so there's no way to cheese the timing between combo resets

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

drat that cheese blob idea is really slick. if I was going to do a Snotty run I'd need to remember that.

HOWEVER I got the Refrigerator-Refrigerador-Freezerato P Rank and that gave me Peppino's anxiety because of the technical execution difficulty and almost dropping my P rank 4-5 times in Lap 2, only surviving because Santa kept tossing me snowmen and I didn't get caught on THEIR loving HITBOX THAT SOMETIMES IGNORES MACH DASHING AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

yeah tough loving luck Snotty rip in pepperoni

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 18, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy loving poo poo, you guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCyBKcikfLU&hd=1

unexpectancy is insanely good already but richaadeb takes it to another level. perfect cover, perfect video, perfect twist 2/3 of the way through the cooking portion, it's flawless

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Doomykins posted:

And of course the time honored finishing lap 2 with Pizzaface within 5 yards of me, making my heart rate double.

got it tho
It’s easily the worst level to P-Rank in my opinion. It’s has a ton of finicky sections with no way to recover, and the worst is that it’s loaded with a lot of time-wasting filler such as the pipe transitions. Combine it with one of the worst transformations and yeah it’s, well, lovely.

I finished P-Ranks on everything today. Not sure I want to mess with Chef’s Tasks, so time to wait until either we get DLC or whenever Sugary Spire is finished.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Reached the end of John Gutter with a 98-combo only to learn there's no third lap (despite being told "Don't worry if you miss something, just do a third lap")? No idea what enemy I missed but I was livid. Had to put the game down.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Bad Seafood posted:

Reached the end of John Gutter with a 98-combo only to learn there's no third lap (despite being told "Don't worry if you miss something, just do a third lap")? No idea what enemy I missed but I was livid. Had to put the game down.

They're probably talking of the Lap 3 mod. Adds a new song in the form of Pillar John's Revenge. Lap 3 itself is simply eating any remaining escape timer, causing Pizzaface to spawn right where you do for Lap 2. However, some levels has Pizzaface malfunction and slow down because if they were to go normal speed, it would be literally impossible.

Also adds a 2nd ranking for Lap 3 completion, and a new victory screen if you beat Lap 3.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s easily the worst level to P-Rank in my opinion. It’s has a ton of finicky sections with no way to recover, and the worst is that it’s loaded with a lot of time-wasting filler such as the pipe transitions. Combine it with one of the worst transformations and yeah it’s, well, lovely.

I finished P-Ranks on everything today. Not sure I want to mess with Chef’s Tasks, so time to wait until either we get DLC or whenever Sugary Spire is finished.

Oh poo poo's P Rank is really rough at parts and smooth otherwise, redoing the first half drags but god drat Refrigerator made me genuinely mad and I just got Peppibot Factory today. Peppibot is actually a really well made P Rank run and flows smoothly with tons of room for Super Taunt recovery and plentiful munchies/clocks/enemy spreads.

But HOLY poo poo the third secret, the escape after John, the god drat red sausages. I just got all my World 4 P Ranks done and they're pain. Every level but Pig City prominently features a good escape/lap 2 gently caress you stretch. That third secret in particular is sadistic about combo reset on mistake with the weird pizzabox controls.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I had no issue with the third secret itself, as once you learn how the box controls it’s pretty simple, but getting to the secret is always a nailbiter as you gotta hit Mach 3 quickly enough to get in there and keep your combo up. That whole initial escape segment is hell on both laps.

I think the difference between RRF and OS! is that the former’s easier sections involve cathartic high-speed areas or being outright invulnerable, whereas OS! is slower and not that difficult so it just feels like a slog. For example, I never once lost a P-Rank run on the stupid ladder climb full of ninjas, but it’s still a good 30-45 seconds of climbing, stopping to parry, climbing, and repeat.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah just looong downtime that pads it out and a single mistake needs a super taunt or ends your run.

My big problem with RRF is how many mistakes I'd make getting to the satan pizza. I got really mad about replaying the first 2/3 so much.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

You move so fast on the ice with RRF that it feels like you're memorizing inputs rather than reacting to anything, then it becomes pretty auto-pilot once you get the pizza. Oh poo poo isn't particularly mechanically demanding, but it loves to screw you over if you follow your normal instincts of chasing after toppings, immediately killing enemies on contact or trying to continue that run over the water pools just before the john pillar without looping back through the pipe to build up speed first. I mostly delt with the ninjas as little as possible, throwing the fake ones at them during the ladder climb if I could and super taunting if they were in an area with a low ceiling.

I finally got everything for 101% completion with all the chef tasks and P-ranks last night then capped it off by beating up pizza face again. I decided to do p-ranks partway through doing s-ranks when I realized there wasn't a no-hit requirement so everything was out of order and the last ones were the 3rd floor with golf and space station 9. Golf surprisingly took longer between the two of them considering you get an infinite source of free combo, but I guess it does have more ways to screw you with the baseball guys and weird bounces with the golf ball guy. You can get away with some pretty bad fumbles as long as you can recover quickly, but unskippable awkward stalls are devastating. I kept running through the area during the escape sequence only to realize ball guy was stuck in a nose 3 screens back and now all the angry pig guys are activated or missing the goal and having him bounce back off in the wrong direction.

Oxxidation posted:

the trophy completion percentages are a pretty good indicator of how dedicated this game's playerbase is, i think

i just spent almost two drat hours getting the "don't touch the lava" trophy in bloodsauce dungeon and that thing still has >10% completion
Yeah, it's funny, the lowest completion achievement on steam is like 3% and I've been watching it climb up by 0.1% every few days. For all the effort P-rank everything takes, it's not even rare enough to show up on my rare achievements profile section. Those are still just 3 I got from beating Oxygen Not Included once, 2 hell rush ones from Neon White and a very rando one I got for deciding to redo the lab tests when you revisit the area in Prey.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Poyozito/status/1642590565488287744
They even added the breakdancing :perfect:

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

All achievements and P-rank on WAR after about an hour/hour and a half of tries and just barely making the S-Rank score. If anything I'm sad that I don't have reason to go back there, probably my favorite level.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
pizza tower has such amazing memes

https://twitter.com/MysteryHarry56/status/1644283267942694912

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Whew, came back to the Tower after nearly a month off. Got Oregano Desert P Rank in 2 tries, one of the ones I got mad about and took a break since I was getting mad at video games.

Fun Farm
Golf
Crusty Cove
Gnome Forest
Don't Make A Sound
Pizzascare

6 left!

yook
Mar 11, 2001

I already played through the game again on a second save slot and wouldn't be surprised if I do it again on the third by the end of the year. I've still got Freedom Planet 2 waiting, but the movement in this game is so drat good. This is just running the P-rank routes without retrying if I mess up and skipping the chef tasks, though. I got the snotty approval sticker this time, so there's some temptation to try doing it all again, but that fades pretty quick after 3-4 retries.

I did end up doing the John Gutter speed run one and noticed something odd on steam deck. It feels like the game runs noticeably slower compared to PC even just doing the mach 3 run at the start of the level, then I couldn't seem to get to the pillar room fast enough for tower guy to appear even when everything seemed perfect. I don't think the game should be intense enough to get slowdown on the steamdeck and I expected the timer to slow down correspondingly even if it did. Then I tried again on PC and not only did everything feel way faster immediately, I got tower guy and the chef's task done in 1-2 tries.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Game's so good. I started blowing off steam post-work by running WAR over and over again, and then once I cleared that out I'm on a mission to do the rest since I realize that it's not actually that impossible to do. You can still make mistakes and P-rank things, it's just a very limited amount of mistakes in a limited amount of time. I gotta save Snotty on a 2nd save file, though I did beat WAR on my first run blind.

In case anyone's idly wondering, here's all the clothes you can 'miss'-

Money Green - Western District's boss gate can not be unlocked until all 40 Toppins from Town Lobby and Western District have been rescued.
Sage Blue - Unlocked by finishing all of the Floor 1 levels in less than an hour. Pepperman does not count, but time spent in the lobby does count.
War Camo - Unlocked by beating WAR the first time you play it
John Shirt - Unlocked by resurrecting Pillar John in less than 2h 15m. To resurrect John, the player needs to get all Tower Secret Treasures before beating the game, which also yields the True Ending.
PP Shirt - technically you have to beat the game on two separate files to get this? so I'll probably be doing that anyhow

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I GOT THE FUN FARM P RANK

I GOT IT, I FINALLY GOT A WINNING RHYTHM ON THAT CURSED LEVEL

WA-HOOOOO, SAVED MY BACON WITH SUPER TAUNT AT LEAST 4 TIMES

god drat does Death I Deservioli fit the 200 bpm your heart is doing on lap 2

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

fug I hate Crust Crove now

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Antonblast, the other Warioland 4 inspired indie game just put out a demo:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1887400/ANTONBLAST/

Unlike WL4 or Pizza Tower, you do have a hitpoint system, which makes the game a bit more unforgiving in ways - but there are checkpoints, both at "tolls" throughout the level and at the start of the escape sequence.

Music and aesthetics are absolutely on point, though I feel like there might be some visual clarity issues, particularly with the foreground/background mechanic leading me to lose track of myself a few times.

The second level in the demo felt way trickier (or way less forgiving) the most of Pizza Tower to me - a lot of sections of Megaman style timed platforms - I kind of didn't really like it cause I struggle a lot with the precision, and there was a lot of sections where you could fall pretty far and lose a lot of progress - and just some, IMO, design goofs, like a transitioning screens with a ladder and immediately falling back to the previous screen cause the transfer off the ladder is a bit awkward. (They could have really used a one way/drop through platform or something)

One of the main mechanics is doing a spin jump to get more height - it seems like you can chain them together but the timing is awkward and/or I am bad because some times rather then a bounce I'd just dash right off the platform I was hoping to bounce off of.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Dieting Hippo posted:

I figured I'd take a crack at modding the two problematic enemies, tribal cheese and Mr. Pinch, into new ones that still fit in their level's themes. The latter I'm planning on making a sewer clown that grabs and throws Peppino, but that's going to take a lot of custom sprite work to replace.

For now though I've got in Government Cheese which operate weather machines that control the thunderstorm clouds in the Oregano Desert. It felt like federal-agent-themed cheese slimes would be a better fit, since there's also the whole UFO segment toward the end of the level.

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1632373866738876417

It's been a few months - did an actual mod ever come from this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

ZZT the Fifth posted:

It's been a few months - did an actual mod ever come from this?

I got distracted by other things, but I did make more progress after that point (see below). Since then there's been a mod manager that came out, so installing this should be fairly easy once I get back around to it!

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1635199233774219264