Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Pizza Tower got run at GDQ and it's a blast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlTW_PvGfw&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's really not this forum's favorite material or anything (it's My Little Pony) but the new Pizza Party mod is pretty impressive to me on the technical merits of how many assets have been replaced with hand-drawn art imitating the style. The entire Fake Peppino fight, even.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hogama posted:

It's really not this forum's favorite material or anything (it's My Little Pony) but the new Pizza Party mod is pretty impressive to me on the technical merits of how many assets have been replaced with hand-drawn art imitating the style. The entire Fake Peppino fight, even.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

quote:

Happy Halloween from the Pizza Tower team! This is a small update that adds a secret level, some Halloween goodies, Steam Community items and other changes!

Secrets Of The World:

We've scrambled all of the secrets together, see if you can beat all of them in one go.

Pumpkin Hunt:

After beating the game in any save file, you can attempt to find all of the hidden pumpkins in each level. This will unlock some Halloween themed outfits and a mysterious pumpkin door on the first floor...

Steam Community items:

Trading cards, Badges, Emoticons and Profile backgrounds are now available!

Changelog:

- Revamped the input system
- The timer is now frame-based instead of using delta time as it caused several discrepancies for speedrunners.
- The ghost now uses 360 directional movement when using a joystick.
- Added a new Speedrun Timer option that keeps track of the timer even when paused.
- Added multiple binds to the same actions
- Added bindings for menu actions
- Added a "screenshake" option under Options -> Game
- Added a new menu for achievements when playing a level
- Added a clearer indication that you're deleting a file in the main menu.
- Added a silhouette when you don't have the lap 2 portal unlocked.
- Added new bindings for Superjump and Groundpound for keyboard.
- Added toggles for using Superjump/Groundpound with the direction keys.
- Changed the default deadzone values.
- Fixed an issue where several UI elements still persisted after disabling the HUD.
- Fixed the ability to uppercut during the clown transfo.
- Fixed an issue where the hitboxes would appear facing the wrong direction sometimes, causing the player to get hurt from behind the enemy.
- Fixed an issue where Mach 2 wouldn't have coyote time.
- Fixed an issue where Snotty's grave wouldn't appear in Exit.
- Fixed an issue where resetting the controls configuration wouldn't reset certain properties.
- Fixed some audio shenanigans.
- Fixed some tile errors.
- Peppibot Factory:
Lap 2 room is less janky, the last dashpad conveyor spawns more slowly
- Gnome Forest:
There are now rat fairies in longer rooms that gives you points, the last secret with Peppino has been made easier to keep the combo in
- Pizzascare:
Gustavo drops on the ramp on destroys it when you get near it.
- Oh poo poo!:
The john room section now has rats to roll into to extend the combo
- Ancient Cheese:
Timer for the escape has been extended a bit.
- Multiple optimizations
- Updated the Steamworks extension.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you get a crash at the beginning of the game, go to your local files, remove the english.txt file under the lang folder, and then verify the files on Steam.

If the crashing persists, delete everything from your installation folder and verify the files on Steam. To verify the files, right click the game, go to "Properties", then "Installed Files" and click the button that says "Verify integrity of game files".

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Very good changes to make those levels much less annoying to P rank. I hated having to set up that cheese slime near the cheese ball section when the escape sequence starts just to keep the combo going.

That loving ramp in Pizzascare was my bane when trying to get out of that room.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well this is a pleasant surprise, as good of an excuse as any to replay Pizza Tower.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Woah might be able to finish my P Rank 100%, that Gnome Forest stretch really chapped my rear end.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The last secret in that level was also nerfed. The columns where you can feasibly fall off the edge had their mushrooms replaced with the Deep Space 9 portals to send you back to the start quicker instead of wasting a lot of time falling. There are also now fairy rats there to telegraph when you should switch sides.

The lap 2 room in Peppibot Factory had the last bomb thrower replaced with a bomb, and the blocks obstructing the Stupid Rat are gone, letting you reach the portal much easier. And the last conveyor belt segment is just easier to deal with.

Haven't tried out the new Halloween level yet, but I just P ranked the Secret Level gauntlet and that was a fun time. Kind of like a Warioware/Rhythm Heaven Remix showcase of all the various transformations you go through, so you really have to adapt on the fly, especially thanks to the randomized order.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

One of my favorite speedrunners, beco, has been doing a ton of Any% runs of this. Dude is just a mad man at the game.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PizzaTowergame/status/1750614028689326543

Noise is coming! Looks like he plays more like Peppino than I was expecting, but there's still some clear changes - a wall jump instead of a run, for one, and that nifty tornado move. And unique escape music!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sounds like he gets different pizza time and lap 2 music as well.

Probably not too surprising he doesn't play massively different as to avoid them needing to retool levels too much, but from the tweet it also sounds like there might be some differences.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mods are cool but seeing the fully animated with perfect frame transitions full dude with all his sound effects and music is so smooth. This is a great excuse to get back into the Tower and grab my last P ranks once the update hits.

Wow I really hope the world 3 fight is vs Peppino from Noise's PoV and the world 4 fight is Fake Noise. :allears:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Doomykins posted:

Mods are cool but seeing the fully animated with perfect frame transitions full dude with all his sound effects and music is so smooth. This is a great excuse to get back into the Tower and grab my last P ranks once the update hits.

Wow I really hope the world 3 fight is vs Peppino from Noise's PoV and the world 4 fight is Fake Noise. :allears:

Hoping Gustavo is Noisette, as well. No idea who Brick could be switched out for.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Noise is out!

He has a few different mechanics from Peppino:

-he doesn’t run up walls, but he bounces and can keep jumping so long as you tap the button. He gets decent air off it, so it’s not like you have to mash
-building on the above, if you hit solid ground after wall bouncing and hold forward, he gains enough speed to break metal blocks from basically any distance
-he can super jump at any time, but still gotta charge
-while he has a standard butt stomp, if you press down while on his skateboard (just hitting Mach 2) he becomes a drill, and you can keep the drill active to go under narrow spots and break blocks without worrying about speed
-his uppercut has massive range, effectively a double jump
-he can still pick up and throw enemies, cancel momentum immediately by grabbing in the opposite direction, and other nerdy tricks

You get three Noise save slots, and while the levels seem the same so far, things have changed like dialogue from characters, or which characters even appear. Pretty good for a free update!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Holy poo poo the Noise's lap 2 escape theme.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Dieting Hippo posted:

I got distracted by other things, but I did make more progress after that point (see below). Since then there's been a mod manager that came out, so installing this should be fairly easy once I get back around to it!

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1635199233774219264

I still would like to see this mod completed if you're still working on it. I've said this before, but "government cheese" is such a god-tier pun.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Fun pointless feature of the Noise is that he can kill people Peppino was unable to, like the horse in the saloon (after beating him) and Pepperman in the world hub

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I recommend re-fighting the Noise's level 3 boss immediately after beating him the first time

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

Fun pointless feature of the Noise is that he can kill people Peppino was unable to, like the horse in the saloon (after beating him) and Pepperman in the world hub

Ah yes, exactly what I needed: More Murder

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Forest Level Thing You swap from The Noise to... The Noise. Perfect.

Slightly disappointed the original cut character select didn't seem to get used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQfg-Qr58W4

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
lmao the level 4 boss False Peppino chase specifically uses the old, much harder rubberbanding, but when he catches up The Noise scares him off

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Warning: Snotty will NOT join your team as the noise in the final level, beware

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Slightly disappointed the original cut character select didn't seem to get used.

After beating the final boss as the Noise, go to the room right before the final boss, the one that's outside on the tower balcony. Something is there.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Noise is different enough to feel good replaying the game, having finished only the first floor so far Bloodsauce Dungeon was ludicrously difficult as the Noise, the way he flows just does not mesh at all with that level and I hated that level to begin with. The music continues to be unreasonably good as well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm kind of curious what speed runs will look like between Noise vs Pepino - but more particularly if it's a situation where one is better then the other for particular levels. If it's at all significant, it'd be cool to see a hack that lets you swap characters between levels for that sort of level-to-level speedrun micromanagement.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

If it's at all significant, it'd be cool to see a hack that lets you swap characters between levels for that sort of level-to-level speedrun micromanagement.

This was actually added to the game, it's a secret unlockable game mode. This video shows how to get it (after beating the final boss) and then shows it off a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7-UkE_hpQ

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh drat cool. I thought you might have been alluding to something like that when you responded to my post about the cut swap music, but hadn't gotten around to playing that far.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I have now beaten pizza tower, a third time. Noise was fun, Bloodsauce Dungeon was the hardest thing in the entire game by a huge margin, followed by the 2nd phase of the last boss while getting a P rank on everything.
Wonder how long until the new music gets added to the OST.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I'm still terrible at getting P-ranks, but it felt nice to hop in after the longest time not playing and get an S-rank first try with The Noise. His moveset feels way more aggro than Peppino and it works so well.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I still would like to see this mod completed if you're still working on it. I've said this before, but "government cheese" is such a god-tier pun.

I wanna' see it completed too :negative: Last I remember I got burnt out on how many frames of animation I had to swap out, and it's a lot! I'll go dive back into my aseprite files and see what I had left and how modding is working now. Mods for Pizza Tower were in a weird spot so maybe it's way easier now for distributing. I also wanted to do level title and achievement graphics too just to make sure everything meshed together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

god drat getting my John Gutter P Rank as Noise hurt. For awhile I was thinking I might hate how the little bastard controls and just not play him. Had to adjust my controls a bit, even went back to my old controller where the stick drifts slightly to the left sometimes but luckily it doesn't come up in Pizza Tower, and it still took me 10+ runs to get used to it!

And in the end? I love it! Noise is so unique and weird and PURE CHAOS ENERGY. It's uncanny how easy it is for him to fumble and drop combo or do something stupid like run into a freaking fork knight head on and not get the mach dash scare so it's safe and my biggest issue by far was entering secret 3 and fumbling the down + dash into fast mach 2 to break the steel block, dropping my combo.

Once you get used to him though it feels fantastic and different. I think I owe the little monster a full run. Maybe not full Ps, but it's John Gutter, I wasn't gonna start bitch made.

All his music is solid gold too. :allears: