Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

this game owns and the soundtrack is just not stop great Like was watching a friend play (after finishing myself) and kept finding myself going "oh THIS level has a great track"

I can see how the ms-paint-esque artstyle can be off putting to some but I just love it, there's just something so raw and fun about how they use it. Enemy reaction animations are such a good touch for this reason too.

Waffleopolis posted:

How we have a Pizza Tower DOOM mod!

https://twitter.com/NathusSilverus/status/1626203459782602754

By the way, what do you all play the game with? I did my first run with a controller but thinking of using the keyboard for the next.
I love so much of the fan stuff coming out around this game.

I did controller for the majority of my playthrough but keyboard is actually not bad - I feel like it might help a bit with duck/dive inputs if you have a less stellar dpad.

Countblanc posted:

I'll go a step further with separating it from Wario Land and say I love Pizza Tower and only found most Wario Land games decent (the 1st one was my favorite). It's obvious that it draws inspiration from the WL series but the fluidity of movement and comedy in PT really makes it its own thing.
The comparison makes a lot more sense now that I've actually touched Wario Land 4 - the moveset and basic level and hub structure are almost straight up lifted from that (and the soundtrack has tons of inspiration - going by youtube comments they even had to remove some samples to prempt Nintendo coming after them) - but you can tell what things they homed in on to make it their own - namely, speed. Like WL4 has something akin to the mach dash, but the Pizza Tower devs went "what if we doubled down on that?"

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't even remember seeing Snotty. I wonder if I just ran into him or attacked without even considering that it was a strange place for an enemy.

Cold Spaghetti is easily my favorite track. Bone in My Spaghetti is solid too since it's the same motif.

But the main pizza time motif is definitely stuck in my head.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pep, or some say, Peppino

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

I thought it was pretty silly when I saw people were bothered by the “jump scares” in that level since they’re so tame but I can get on board with this
I thought they got a little annoying / can see people really not like getting screamed at.

Also, some fun lap 2 quirks I noticed watching P Rank runs on youtube:
War kicks you back to the start - you get a bunch of timer increases in a special room, but none for the rest of the level are respawned and you don't have the shotgun. Pig City has a special swap to Gustavo spot hidden behind the pillar that you wouldn't otherwise see. This causes space time to break because there are now two peppinos. (No wait, wrong game.) I assume Gnome Forest is the same.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh that's cool, I guess you really see/notice the powerup remover otherwise too? (Or did I just forget having it cleansed before finishing?)
e: Okay yeah, normally you don't see that. Is Devils Choice the only powerup you can enter doors and go through the exit with?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 23, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that's a really fun spin on the enemy.

...and I totally made a discord emote of the "pog" face when I first saw the enemy.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

tbh im kind of disappointed the thread subtitle is not "yall ready to get funky?"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Antonblast, the other Warioland 4 inspired indie game just put out a demo:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1887400/ANTONBLAST/

Unlike WL4 or Pizza Tower, you do have a hitpoint system, which makes the game a bit more unforgiving in ways - but there are checkpoints, both at "tolls" throughout the level and at the start of the escape sequence.

Music and aesthetics are absolutely on point, though I feel like there might be some visual clarity issues, particularly with the foreground/background mechanic leading me to lose track of myself a few times.

The second level in the demo felt way trickier (or way less forgiving) the most of Pizza Tower to me - a lot of sections of Megaman style timed platforms - I kind of didn't really like it cause I struggle a lot with the precision, and there was a lot of sections where you could fall pretty far and lose a lot of progress - and just some, IMO, design goofs, like a transitioning screens with a ladder and immediately falling back to the previous screen cause the transfer off the ladder is a bit awkward. (They could have really used a one way/drop through platform or something)

One of the main mechanics is doing a spin jump to get more height - it seems like you can chain them together but the timing is awkward and/or I am bad because some times rather then a bounce I'd just dash right off the platform I was hoping to bounce off of.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sounds like he gets different pizza time and lap 2 music as well.

Probably not too surprising he doesn't play massively different as to avoid them needing to retool levels too much, but from the tweet it also sounds like there might be some differences.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Forest Level Thing You swap from The Noise to... The Noise. Perfect.

Slightly disappointed the original cut character select didn't seem to get used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQfg-Qr58W4

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm kind of curious what speed runs will look like between Noise vs Pepino - but more particularly if it's a situation where one is better then the other for particular levels. If it's at all significant, it'd be cool to see a hack that lets you swap characters between levels for that sort of level-to-level speedrun micromanagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh drat cool. I thought you might have been alluding to something like that when you responded to my post about the cut swap music, but hadn't gotten around to playing that far.