Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There really aren't words to do justice to how good and smooth it feels to play with the movement in this game. As a long time watcher since the crowdfund and incredible soundtrack was announced I'm so thrilled to see this insane passion project be fully realized. This game is so sincere it is perfect and I was blown away by the precision needed to do something like no-hit Pepperman, especially remembering the original beta version that was a larger normal enemy.

When you hit that support pillar and Pizza Time starts the joy is sublime. I hope speedrunners take to this bad boy like nothing else. :allears:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The finale is so satisfying, how often do you see a game that's just perfect at what it does 100% of the way through. :allears:

I'm not sure if my gaming reflexes will let me get very far in mastering this game, though my John Gutter is down to 2:04. I can do well in a lot of gaming but perfection in minutes long execution ain't it. If nothing else I can find everything and try out S ranks.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 17, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Controller with Superjump Button but Groundpound Joystick. I seem to hit my downs reliably but hitting up and holding it while also angling to one side was missing me a lot of superjumps.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Finally got that John Gutter sub 2 minute. That's a lot of getting good for a first stage achievement! And I was able to rerun it and get an S Rank. Lil baby pizza chef imagining his first P Rank becoming attainable.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Cleaned up my War runs enough to get the three achievements and gotta be my favorite level. Extra banging theme in an OST of full bangers, incredible rhythm and flow to movement, perfect late game level to really see how good you've gotten.

Almost got a last boss P Rank but got hit by a loving somersault recovery out of his vulnerability. You really can't hesitate on those, though I cleaned up my timing practicing to get my John Approved sticker so just a matter of time. Luckily the fights are such joy to do even multiple times in a row.

Gonna be sad when I'm mostly done with this game, what a gem.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

widespread posted:

There's also the Scoutdigo mod (only available through their discord). With hip new features like playable Noise and Vigilante, Arenas, DEATH MODE, and even a key hunt in the hub. The key hunt, I dunno what it leads to. I just know it's endgame stuff.

Getting in said discord requires you to own a copy of Pizza Tower on Steam, and it has to be manually verified by folks.

Oh sweet. However where's the full game Gustavo mode????

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Picking up more S Ranks. Realizing P Ranks are possible for me now. Amazing how this game trains you if you stick with it. My overall skill has risen dramatically just playing well enough to clear levels fully and get achievements. Got my John Gutter 99 combo too, surprisingly smooth and easy to learn.

The mods and community for this game are crazy. Think you're good at Pizza Man? OK, how about Lap 3 good? P Rank Lap 3 War! As I predicted watching pros speed run this stuff is art. :allears:

Edit: War doesn't show it but Lap 3 forces you to dodge Pizzaface for an entire lap!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 1, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

P Ranked John Gutter.

Just like hard drugs the first hit is free.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite part of that cancel tweet is that 1/3 to 2/3 of the discord screens listed don't actually support the argument. :allears:

Bad Seafood posted:

A few hours in and it's pretty rad, though I'm still so bad the prospect of getting anything higher than an A-rank is still pure fantasy.

Two great things about Pizza Tower are that you can slow roll your way through almost the entire game and have a wonderful time seeing each stage and boss and get a really satisfying finish and game, and then it gradually trains you the entire time to be better if you want mastery. So you can set it down when you're done or keep at it and realize how attainable a lot of the tougher stuff really is.

Hell you can do most S Ranks by going through levels slowly and carefully! Even the escapes are timed so that they can be run through twice with tryhard effort so they have enormous leeway.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

P Ranked Pizzascape shortly after John Gutter and have almost S Ranked the entire game now. P Ranked War going for the S Rank! Just perfect hardcore level flow, finished a secret with 3 seconds left, whew.

Pizza game good.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

All S Ranks and P Ranked Boss 4 and 5 today. Heart really jackhammers when you get a clean ride into the last stretch of the last boss.

What a ride. And I know I'll be trying P Ranks soon enough but even if I don't I can say with true satisfaction that this is my GOTY, one of my GOAT, and just pure delight all the way through. All killer, no filler.

Finally... I'm Italian.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Building a time machine so I can ask the pizza guys to reconsider including that one sliding statue in the Pepperman fight.

The amount of restarts that statue has given me alone might be two-thirds of all my restarts to date.

Sharing some wisdom because I perfected Pepperman and Vigilante with 100% dodges.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I found that the invincibility frames for a successful parry or attack are enormous, like I'd get away from spots where I was guaranteed to take damage except I got the input in just ahead of that. Some boss attacks feel much safer to parry, like I'll always parry Noise doing a jetpack dash or Phase 2 Pizza Head throwing Brick!

And yeah every boss is a slow burn. Pepperman especially on his last two hits, double especially if he finishes his charges and is next to the statue you want to grab. I underestimated how fast he'd enter a new charge at least twice! I think Phase 2 statues are based on time, so you should always expect one about every so often(or every so many Pepperman attacks.) One of my longest P Ranks was Vigilante since the two ghost farmer spawns are such a hassle.

yook posted:

Once I could get past the first phase without getting hit reliably, I don't think there's any big trick. Just that most of his attacks have extra subtleties you wouldn't pick up on without trying to do the entire thing without getting hit and keeping track of how many attacks he's going to use in a row based on his health bar.

His vulnerability frame shrinks dramatically for the last two combos! Like 1 second or less to dash in, so you need to be adjacent and almost threatening to hurt yourself with how fast you dash in once you think he's finishing the attack animation! His amazing last bastard trick... I lost a last boss P Rank on the final hit to this.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Gettin' mad about the Gnome Forest P Rank, especially that suuuuper long stretch halfway through where you need to boot Brick in mid-air to hit a big score power up at the last second.

I got 12 of them so far, may be crashing into the ones I just ain't gonna do? You can really feel it when a level has perfect natural flow like Deep Dish 9 and when it's really jerky like Fun Farm or Gnome Forest.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah that's definitely the one, the rhythm is so hard to maintain on the three shrooms you bounce up and then you need to jerk hard to the left.

oh god great point on secret 3 I totally would've missed that. The Lap 2 marker is so far from the third secret that you can't get the third secret and then go do lap 2. You've saved future me from a hair pull moment. :tipshat:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

After getting walled by Fun Farm and Gnome Forest I was wondering if it was time to hang up my tank top.

Got Pig City P Rank today! Really fun run, I guess Gustavo and Brick aren't inherently a problem, it's just the rhythm of Gnome Forest plaguing me. Lots of close calls in Pig City but the ability to super taunt or kick Brick was so good in that level. Saved me from a lot of near losses to taking hits.

Left To Do posted:

Fun Farm
Oregano Desert
Golf
Crusty Cove
Gnome Forest
Peppibot Factory
Oh poo poo
Ice Level
Don't Make A Sound
Pizzascare

Closing in on mastery here, what an incredible game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

HOLY poo poo does Oh poo poo(hahahaha) want you to drop that combo. Those freaking Pizza Ninjas! And it feels twice as long as most levels, though it's really just twice as complicated in the routing. That cheese zombie section right after John is such a god drat trap too, I had to try to uppercut over one of the 4 little power up clumps, hit 3, that 1 might have saved me when I was wall humping after the roll down to touch a drat clock.

And of course the time honored finishing lap 2 with Pizzaface within 5 yards of me, making my heart rate double.

got it tho

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

drat that cheese blob idea is really slick. if I was going to do a Snotty run I'd need to remember that.

HOWEVER I got the Refrigerator-Refrigerador-Freezerato P Rank and that gave me Peppino's anxiety because of the technical execution difficulty and almost dropping my P rank 4-5 times in Lap 2, only surviving because Santa kept tossing me snowmen and I didn't get caught on THEIR loving HITBOX THAT SOMETIMES IGNORES MACH DASHING AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

yeah tough loving luck Snotty rip in pepperoni

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 18, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s easily the worst level to P-Rank in my opinion. It’s has a ton of finicky sections with no way to recover, and the worst is that it’s loaded with a lot of time-wasting filler such as the pipe transitions. Combine it with one of the worst transformations and yeah it’s, well, lovely.

I finished P-Ranks on everything today. Not sure I want to mess with Chef’s Tasks, so time to wait until either we get DLC or whenever Sugary Spire is finished.

Oh poo poo's P Rank is really rough at parts and smooth otherwise, redoing the first half drags but god drat Refrigerator made me genuinely mad and I just got Peppibot Factory today. Peppibot is actually a really well made P Rank run and flows smoothly with tons of room for Super Taunt recovery and plentiful munchies/clocks/enemy spreads.

But HOLY poo poo the third secret, the escape after John, the god drat red sausages. I just got all my World 4 P Ranks done and they're pain. Every level but Pig City prominently features a good escape/lap 2 gently caress you stretch. That third secret in particular is sadistic about combo reset on mistake with the weird pizzabox controls.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah just looong downtime that pads it out and a single mistake needs a super taunt or ends your run.

My big problem with RRF is how many mistakes I'd make getting to the satan pizza. I got really mad about replaying the first 2/3 so much.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Whew, came back to the Tower after nearly a month off. Got Oregano Desert P Rank in 2 tries, one of the ones I got mad about and took a break since I was getting mad at video games.

Fun Farm
Golf
Crusty Cove
Gnome Forest
Don't Make A Sound
Pizzascare

6 left!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I GOT THE FUN FARM P RANK

I GOT IT, I FINALLY GOT A WINNING RHYTHM ON THAT CURSED LEVEL

WA-HOOOOO, SAVED MY BACON WITH SUPER TAUNT AT LEAST 4 TIMES

god drat does Death I Deservioli fit the 200 bpm your heart is doing on lap 2

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

fug I hate Crust Crove now

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Woah might be able to finish my P Rank 100%, that Gnome Forest stretch really chapped my rear end.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mods are cool but seeing the fully animated with perfect frame transitions full dude with all his sound effects and music is so smooth. This is a great excuse to get back into the Tower and grab my last P ranks once the update hits.

Wow I really hope the world 3 fight is vs Peppino from Noise's PoV and the world 4 fight is Fake Noise. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

god drat getting my John Gutter P Rank as Noise hurt. For awhile I was thinking I might hate how the little bastard controls and just not play him. Had to adjust my controls a bit, even went back to my old controller where the stick drifts slightly to the left sometimes but luckily it doesn't come up in Pizza Tower, and it still took me 10+ runs to get used to it!

And in the end? I love it! Noise is so unique and weird and PURE CHAOS ENERGY. It's uncanny how easy it is for him to fumble and drop combo or do something stupid like run into a freaking fork knight head on and not get the mach dash scare so it's safe and my biggest issue by far was entering secret 3 and fumbling the down + dash into fast mach 2 to break the steel block, dropping my combo.

Once you get used to him though it feels fantastic and different. I think I owe the little monster a full run. Maybe not full Ps, but it's John Gutter, I wasn't gonna start bitch made.

All his music is solid gold too. :allears: