Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Steam PageLaunch TrailerSoundtrackPeppino's Pizzeria

Pizza Tower is a beautifully animated, lightning-fast platformer that puts you in the shoes of the perpetually distressed chef Peppino Spaghetti as he races to save his restaurant from the sinister Pizza Face. While clearly inspired by Wario Land, Pizza Tower puts its own spin on things, most apparent in how absurdly fast this game is. Peppino runs at such wild speeds he can climb walls, run across water, and bash through solid metal. And you'll need that speed during every levels' escape sequence that sees you running all the way back to the start while sick-rear end music plays. This game has been years in development and it shows - the game is jam packed with creativity, every level bringing new mechanics, new music, and new wonderfully animated pizza foes to piledrive. There's a level that introduces a slew of new mechanics, and then mid-level you switch to a different character that interacts with all those mechanics in completely different ways.

Will I enjoy this game if I love pizza?

I dare say this game has the most pizza and pizza-adjacent-elements of any computer game currently on the market. The most common recurring elements are mushrooms, cheese, tomatoes, sausages, and pineapples (yes, this game takes the brave stance of treating pineapple as a normal pizza topping with no hint of derision, and I salute the devs for it) but there is a great variety of pizza representation here. Pepperoni, olives, sardines, peppers, even Swedish banana pizza is here. If you are any kind of pizza scholar you will be in hog heaven.

Will I enjoy this game if I hate pizza?

Most of those aforementioned pizza elements are enemies that you will be destroying with terrible, horrible violence. You will delight in how Peppino running at top speed will make every enemy in his path drop their defenses in terror before getting blasted straight to pizza hell. The main antagonist is also a floating sentient pizza, so in a way this game is also the most anti-pizza game ever made.

Just who are these pizza folks?

Peppino Spaghetti is our hero, the anxious Italian chef of his own restaurant: Peppino's Pizzeria. Despite being little more than the manager of a failing pizza place, everyone seems to inexplicably despise and/or obsess over him. He is not actually wearing an apron but a white tank top, as he cannot afford a real one.

Gustavo is Peppino's... I want to say partner but it is actually unclear if he works with Peppino. Either way, he is also a pizza chef of some variety who is assisting in conquering the Pizza Tower, and is occasionally playable. The Mario to Peppino's Wario, his famous catchphrase "I'm going to kill you!" has captured the heart of gamers worldwide.

Brick the Rat is one of the many rats infesting the Pizza Tower, only this one seems to have developed a particular animosity towards Gustavo. Will they remain locked in mortal combat for all time or will they develop a respect for one another?

Mr. Stick is Peppino's moneylender, who is likely most responsible for Peppino's financial woes. While he assists you inside the tower by renting out gates to boss arenas, one could argue he is the true villain of this story. Which would be wrong, but you could argue it.

It is written that for every pizzeria, there must be a noid. The Noise is Peppino's. The Noise's manic antics, giddy nature, and media empire make him a true foil to our hero. He is planned to be is a playable character in the future now.

Pizzaface is the villain of this story, a floating sentient pizza that has it out for Peppino for some unknown reason. By unraveling the mysteries of the pizza tower, perhaps you will also discover the dark and twisted motivations behind this cheesy fiend. Or perhaps this is a comedy game where that poo poo doesn't matter but the fans will obsess over the lore anyway.

Gerome is the janitor.

Okay enough of the joke questions, how bout you write something actually useful?

There are quite a few special movement techniques:
  • During a grab on the ground, you can hold Down to quickly slide along the ground, a quick way to get through small tunnels.
  • During a superjump/shinespark, you can use the grab button to redirect the superjump into a charge to the side.
  • During a dive (down in the air while sprinting), pressing Jump will change the dive into a ground pound, which is the best way to do ground pounds at top speed.
  • During a grab charge in the air you can quickly press the opposite direction to immediately stop all horizontal movement, useful to avoid overshooting.
  • During a grab towards an enemy, if you hold Up you will launch into the air after grabbing them. You need to start holding Up during the grab, since if you hold it before you'll do an uppercut instead.
  • Doing a pose will break enemies out of a stunned state, which can be useful if you accidentally bumped an enemy you need to get past an obstacle. Posing will also immediately set off alarms in a lategame level.

I don't like time limits, will the escape sequences be too much for me?

The time limits are thankfully fairly generous for first time playthroughs and even if you do run out of time, rather than an instant failure Pizzaface will manifest and chase you down, giving you one last chance to get to the exit. Once you know a level inside and out, you actually have the option to run a second lap of the escape sequence in the remaining time for extra points. Note: the clocks during the escape sequence are just points, they don't actually modify the timer.

How does the score/ranking system work?

There are ranks from D to S, based solely on points. Defeating an enemy will begin a combo meter that can be replenished by defeating another enemy, collecting pickups, or doing certain significant actions. To get an S rank you will probably have to do everything - get all 5 toppins, all 3 secrets, the 1 hidden treasure, and the 2nd lap during the escape sequence. As this is a video game, you probably suspected that there's a ranking above S, and indeed there is. To get a fabled P rank you not only need to get everything in a level, but you also need to keep a single combo going the entire time, starting in the first room all the way to when you enter the exit. While this sounds imposing, the levels are designed extremely well for this task - there are almost always a handy line of pickups leading you on a proper path through the level, and I found P-ranking the whole game to be a ton of fun.

P-ranking boss levels is much simpler to explain: take no damage.

How can I dress Peppino up all pretty?

Outfits are unlocked globally, which is good since a number of them will probably require starting a new save file.
  • Garish Cook - Taunt 50 times.
  • Bad Bones - Hurt Peppino 50 times.
  • Blood Red - Kill 1000 total enemies.
  • Bowling Stripes - Kill 30 bowling pin rats.
  • Funny Polka - End a combo between 70-74.
  • Unfunny Cook - End a combo between 75-79.
  • Money Green - Collect all available toppins from worlds 1 and 2 before buying the world 2 boss gate.
  • Mooney Orange - Get all toppins in the game and give the money to Mr. Sticks Mooney.
  • Golden God - Get an S rank or better in every level.
  • TV Purple - Get a P rank in every level.
  • Dark Cook - Get a P rank (no hit) in every bossfight.
  • Pizza Man - Beat the game once.
  • PP Shirt - Beat the game twice, in different save files.
  • Itchy Sweater - Get punched by Grandpa in the city level. He's hidden in the very first room of the level, not hard to find.
  • lovely Cook - Crouch on a poop block in the sewer level for 10 seconds.
  • War Camo - Beat the war level the very first time you play it. Probably best saved for a second playthrough when you know the level.
  • Goldemanne - Get every achievement.
  • Sage Blue - Finish all Floor 1 levels in less than an hour.
  • John Suit - Beat the game with all hidden treasures in less than 2 hours, 15 minutes. A true challenge.

I typed PIZZA but have not received my pizza yet, please help

Have patience! Your pizza is in the mail.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Waffleopolis posted:

I didn't back the kickstarter when it was live but it looked cool. Totally forgot about it then heard last month it was launching. I never played the Wario Land games other than the first and the gameplay looked fun. Enticed me enough to drop 20 bones on it.

It was actually a Patreon development rather than Kickstarter for a change. Wish I was a backer cause then I could've added one of the pizza weirdos you rescue in the secrets.

Waffleopolis posted:

I want more. I want more Pizza. I want more Tower. I want Tour De Pizza to make more games.

I really hope we get more stuff beyond just playable Noise. I think they were planning co op at one point but I believe it got downgraded to "if we can make it work".

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
All the level poster art is so good, especially for something you can only see for a few seconds at a time.

Good luck on getting the John suit. It should be easier now that you can skip 9 toppins - Golf being the most obvious skip.

widespread posted:

Comedy options: Noisette and Snick

Snick was actually playable in the SAGE demo. I'm sad he's mostly just an easter egg in the final game, his animations are hilarious. And all the pickups are changed into onion rings, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D22Ej7Bjyzc

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The slew of Celeste + Pizza Tower fanart is both very fun and also fairly bizarre because it is honestly hard to imagine Peppino having a rational interaction with anyone.

Madeline in PT style is my favorite:

https://twitter.com/EllisBros/status/1623397752737763328
https://twitter.com/NooshsStuff/status/1624268810931798018

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 12, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

widespread posted:

I think the Celeste x Pizza Tower pic got folks to do other crossovers.

... I'm having trouble finding suitable links to them but the Gordon Freeman one is pretty aces.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Waffleopolis posted:

By the way, what do you all play the game with? I did my first run with a controller but thinking of using the keyboard for the next.

Controller, with the control stick like a doofus, though the new control options they added last patch make that way more feasible.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
So it turns out Sauceman found out everyone was mishearing "DOOR STUCK" in the peppibot factory song and blessed us accordingly months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ZUqNGcpro

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

:toot:

This was originally my John Suit speedrun file, but then I abandoned my first save for it because I had shamefully killed Snotty.

Next up, the Holy poo poo judgement (95%+ in under 4 hours)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

Should I be using a gamepad for this or continuing to use keyboard? I'm used to keyboard from my time playing other ancient old man platformers but I've heard peppino is a little more manageable using a controller

The new controller options make it a lot more viable - I use left trigger for superjump and B for ground pounds, though I also still allow down to groundpound since it feels better for suplexes.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
oh my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uia0Gwm8rJc

you have got to be kidding me

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

I thought they got a little annoying / can see people really not like getting screamed at.

Also, some fun lap 2 quirks I noticed watching P Rank runs on youtube:
War kicks you back to the start - you get a bunch of timer increases in a special room, but none for the rest of the level are respawned and you don't have the shotgun. Pig City has a special swap to Gustavo spot hidden behind the pillar that you wouldn't otherwise see. This causes space time to break because there are now two peppinos. (No wait, wrong game.) I assume Gnome Forest is the same.

The most impactful one is that right before Freezerator’s lap two portal is a milk station that removes the Devil’s Choice powerup so you need to do lap 2 without it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lol

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ryaomon posted:

im permabanned poster pizzastomper58. i first started making pizza when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "toppings" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "it's pizza time" and "yeaow-ow-ow-owh!" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing tv screens with me in them in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on fun farm featuring special guest mort the chicken. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of pizza the pizza tower was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" pizza tower to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a speedrunning. peace-a.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The one thing I can agree crosses a line are the tribal cheese enemies, but I can't help but be kinda amused that their aggro animation was probably meant to be a war whoop but instead everyone sees it as a pogchamp face now

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dieting Hippo posted:

I figured I'd take a crack at modding the two problematic enemies, tribal cheese and Mr. Pinch, into new ones that still fit in their level's themes. The latter I'm planning on making a sewer clown that grabs and throws Peppino, but that's going to take a lot of custom sprite work to replace.

For now though I've got in Government Cheese which operate weather machines that control the thunderstorm clouds in the Oregano Desert. It felt like federal-agent-themed cheese slimes would be a better fit, since there's also the whole UFO segment toward the end of the level.

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1632373866738876417

Good job coming up with an actually plausible alternative that handles all of the seemingly-too-specific mechanics. The walkie talkie is inspired.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Poyozito/status/1642590565488287744
They even added the breakdancing :perfect:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hogama posted:

It's really not this forum's favorite material or anything (it's My Little Pony) but the new Pizza Party mod is pretty impressive to me on the technical merits of how many assets have been replaced with hand-drawn art imitating the style. The entire Fake Peppino fight, even.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

quote:

Happy Halloween from the Pizza Tower team! This is a small update that adds a secret level, some Halloween goodies, Steam Community items and other changes!

Secrets Of The World:

We've scrambled all of the secrets together, see if you can beat all of them in one go.

Pumpkin Hunt:

After beating the game in any save file, you can attempt to find all of the hidden pumpkins in each level. This will unlock some Halloween themed outfits and a mysterious pumpkin door on the first floor...

Steam Community items:

Trading cards, Badges, Emoticons and Profile backgrounds are now available!

Changelog:

- Revamped the input system
- The timer is now frame-based instead of using delta time as it caused several discrepancies for speedrunners.
- The ghost now uses 360 directional movement when using a joystick.
- Added a new Speedrun Timer option that keeps track of the timer even when paused.
- Added multiple binds to the same actions
- Added bindings for menu actions
- Added a "screenshake" option under Options -> Game
- Added a new menu for achievements when playing a level
- Added a clearer indication that you're deleting a file in the main menu.
- Added a silhouette when you don't have the lap 2 portal unlocked.
- Added new bindings for Superjump and Groundpound for keyboard.
- Added toggles for using Superjump/Groundpound with the direction keys.
- Changed the default deadzone values.
- Fixed an issue where several UI elements still persisted after disabling the HUD.
- Fixed the ability to uppercut during the clown transfo.
- Fixed an issue where the hitboxes would appear facing the wrong direction sometimes, causing the player to get hurt from behind the enemy.
- Fixed an issue where Mach 2 wouldn't have coyote time.
- Fixed an issue where Snotty's grave wouldn't appear in Exit.
- Fixed an issue where resetting the controls configuration wouldn't reset certain properties.
- Fixed some audio shenanigans.
- Fixed some tile errors.
- Peppibot Factory:
Lap 2 room is less janky, the last dashpad conveyor spawns more slowly
- Gnome Forest:
There are now rat fairies in longer rooms that gives you points, the last secret with Peppino has been made easier to keep the combo in
- Pizzascare:
Gustavo drops on the ramp on destroys it when you get near it.
- Oh poo poo!:
The john room section now has rats to roll into to extend the combo
- Ancient Cheese:
Timer for the escape has been extended a bit.
- Multiple optimizations
- Updated the Steamworks extension.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you get a crash at the beginning of the game, go to your local files, remove the english.txt file under the lang folder, and then verify the files on Steam.

If the crashing persists, delete everything from your installation folder and verify the files on Steam. To verify the files, right click the game, go to "Properties", then "Installed Files" and click the button that says "Verify integrity of game files".

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PizzaTowergame/status/1750614028689326543

Noise is coming! Looks like he plays more like Peppino than I was expecting, but there's still some clear changes - a wall jump instead of a run, for one, and that nifty tornado move. And unique escape music!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Doomykins posted:

Mods are cool but seeing the fully animated with perfect frame transitions full dude with all his sound effects and music is so smooth. This is a great excuse to get back into the Tower and grab my last P ranks once the update hits.

Wow I really hope the world 3 fight is vs Peppino from Noise's PoV and the world 4 fight is Fake Noise. :allears:

Hoping Gustavo is Noisette, as well. No idea who Brick could be switched out for.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Fun pointless feature of the Noise is that he can kill people Peppino was unable to, like the horse in the saloon (after beating him) and Pepperman in the world hub

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I recommend re-fighting the Noise's level 3 boss immediately after beating him the first time

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
lmao the level 4 boss False Peppino chase specifically uses the old, much harder rubberbanding, but when he catches up The Noise scares him off

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Warning: Snotty will NOT join your team as the noise in the final level, beware

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Slightly disappointed the original cut character select didn't seem to get used.

After beating the final boss as the Noise, go to the room right before the final boss, the one that's outside on the tower balcony. Something is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

If it's at all significant, it'd be cool to see a hack that lets you swap characters between levels for that sort of level-to-level speedrun micromanagement.

This was actually added to the game, it's a secret unlockable game mode. This video shows how to get it (after beating the final boss) and then shows it off a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7-UkE_hpQ