Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I also feel like he's just barely in this new season so far. Him talking about the car was probably the most he's said in an episode yet; not clear what his niche is if not loving with Kyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

does Roman feel slightly off to anyone else or is it just me? obviously it's been over a decade so people aren't going to be exactly the same, but he just feels different in a way that the others don't to me.

The show is still good, don't get me wrong
I think his character was more "lost and confused" in the first two seasons, his original drug experience gave him a place to be and the confirmation he wasn't wasting his life on "hard science" sf writing. He is definitively written as the most self-secure of all the staff. He already was trying to appear that way but before it was mostly bravado and an attempt to convince himself. That kind makes him a less important character now because his personal crisis is secondary to the others' career problems. Even Ron got more problems.
I will be honest: i am more surprised he didn't do more drugs in 10 years.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 17, 2023

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Those wanting more Roman will be very pleased by the new episode.

This might be my favorite episode of the show yet honestly.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MokBa posted:

This might be my favorite episode of the show yet honestly.

Same. I was skeptic that it was going to be a bunch of stupid drug jokes but nope, it was utterly hilarious. I loved Roman's plot

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The cutting was pretty good in this, I reckon, particularly in the first half.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

"Yeah, yeah... I've got a shirt going."

was very funny to me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
JESUS this season is shockingly good

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, I cannot believe how good this is, it's like they haven't missed a beat. I also love the new zoomer crew members.

also jennifer garner is distractingly beautiful i cannot believe she's 50

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I cannot believe how good this is, it's like they haven't missed a beat. I also love the new zoomer crew members.

also jennifer garner is distractingly beautiful i cannot believe she's 50

Holy poo poo did not realize she was that age. A stone cold fox forever. And she fits great into the show.

I love Zoe Chao as well. A great way to introduce a new angle on the "Hollywood artist stuck in this catering job". She was great in The Afterparty and I'm happy to see her popping up her and there.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Phenotype posted:

I realize actor ages != character ages, but Zoe Chao is 37, which is like three years younger than Martin Starr/Ryan Hansen/Lizzy Caplan, and over a decade older than Tyrel Jackson Williams. He's the only (main cast) Zoomer.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Y'know, when I posted that, I kinda wondered if she wasn't probably in her thirties, but I thought there was a line or two where Ron made some older reference that she didn't get. Not sure if she's meant to be playing another twenty-something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

I realize actor ages != character ages, but Zoe Chao is 37, which is like three years younger than Martin Starr/Ryan Hansen/Lizzy Caplan, and over a decade older than Tyrel Jackson Williams. He's the only (main cast) Zoomer.

Yeah, the bit where she didn't know who Sting was didn't resonate with me. She's super old, how would she not know.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Also Sting doesn’t even seem like something zoomers wouldn’t necessarily get? A surprising amount of younger people seem to be into 80s-90s music.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

holefoods posted:

Also Sting doesn’t even seem like something zoomers wouldn’t necessarily get? A surprising amount of younger people seem to be into 80s-90s music.

Yeah, it's not Paul Mccartney or a 70s rock band. But i guess we may be starting to reach the point where people never heard Roxanne or Message in a Bottle.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the bit where she didn't know who Sting was didn't resonate with me. She's super old, how would she not know.

Maybe she's just not into music at all and fully focuses her artistic side on cooking. She could probably list the current roster of Michelin star cooks, even though she would consider them to be to mainstream.

Edit: Looking it up, there are 2500 restaurants with at least one Michelin star, so that might be a bit of a tall order.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 18, 2023

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If you're a fan of Zoe Chao I can't recommend the Afterparty enough.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, Afterparty was a lot of fun. Weirdly enough, There is a second season comming. I really thought that it would be a one-shot.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lots of people are super into things that came out before they were born/when they were babies. My org works with a lot of high schoolers and there are A LOT of t-shirts being worn by people born after 9/11 featuring Nirvana, Biggie, Selena, the Beatles, the Ramones, etc. But what does and doesn't stick around is narrower than 'was popular in that year', a recent workshop revealed that basically none of them knew who Frank Sinatra, Lou Reed, Run DMC, Billy Joel, or other "big" people who have songs about New York are (one twelve year old seemed deeply invested in Beanie Siegel's lack of success compared to Jay-Z, but I have to assume that was an outlier).

If you look at the Best Selling Music Ts on Hot Topic, there are lots of 'old' performers that are still selling lots of shirts to teens/Zoomers: Depeche Mode, Selena, Rolling Stones, Pantera, Pixies, Sisters of Mercy, David Bowie, Elvis Presley, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Nirvana, Dead Kennedys, Alice in Chains, all have shirts in the Top 100 sellers as of today.

Sting's last Big Mainstream Thing (outside of I guess The Police reunion tour fifteen years ago) was the song "All For Love" in 1993. I don't think you have to be under 25 or something not to have really registered who Sting is, but it's entirely possible the character is meant to be a lot younger than the actress.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

MFer forgot Desert Rose that song was all over the radio in the early oughts

I think the joke with Lucy is less that she doesn't know who Sting is and more that she's just very aloof and didn't know why Ron just yelled the word "sting" at her. Either way it's just meant to make him mad.

I'm a little bit sad that they explained the joke of "Sting? The Police?" because it was a pretty drat obvious joke with the reveal at that point. Personally I can't gently caress with weed or psychedelics anymore because I get super paranoid so it was very funny seeing that Roman's paranoia proven correct.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MokBa posted:

I'm a little bit sad that they explained the joke of "Sting? The Police?" because it was a pretty drat obvious joke with the reveal at that point. Personally I can't gently caress with weed or psychedelics anymore because I get super paranoid so it was very funny seeing that Roman's paranoia proven correct.

Well it wasn't obvious to me, mr smart guy :(

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MokBa posted:

MFer forgot Desert Rose that song was all over the radio in the early oughts
I am roughly in the age group of the actors who play Roman/Kyle/Lucy and I in fact do not remember Desert Rose at all. Like, looking it up I do remember the chorus but not in any meaningful way. It was a top 20 song but also by 2000 things like Napster and CD burners existed and I was working at a college radio station and not listening to "the radio". That sort of splintering only got more severe in the next few years.

People have bubbles. I have a 30-something co-worker who was surprised to learn that LL Cool J was a rapper before being a TV cop.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Personally, I never heard the name LL Cool J in the first place.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Anyone else getting the vibe that Roman and Lucy are going to hook up or something? They've been teaming up for shenanigans and he understands her art.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

I am roughly in the age group of the actors who play Roman/Kyle/Lucy and I in fact do not remember Desert Rose at all. Like, looking it up I do remember the chorus but not in any meaningful way. It was a top 20 song but also by 2000 things like Napster and CD burners existed and I was working at a college radio station and not listening to "the radio". That sort of splintering only got more severe in the next few years.

People have bubbles. I have a 30-something co-worker who was surprised to learn that LL Cool J was a rapper before being a TV cop.

Desert Rose came out when I was 12 so it was at the peak of me paying attention to pop music, plus I felt like I spent a lot of time in the car being driven here and there for school and activities. That song was CONSTANT. I was just teasing you but it was definitely his last big hit. But it was still 24 years ago lol so your point about Sting stands.

Also I didn't even know LL Cool J was a TV cop! How about that!

Also just learned this episode was directed by Ken Marino. I was wondering why there was so Ron in it. He killed it!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Also I think this episode was the first time Roman said the words "hard sci-fi", which made me smile. For the last ten years, I've heard him saying it in my head every time that term's come up.

I'm into hard sci-fi. Fantasy is bullshit.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I have never seen a television episode so accurately capture the uncontrolled psilocybin experience, holy poo poo

want to quote like half the posts in here and say YES that was VERY GOOD- incredible season, maybe the best television comedy I've seen

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So the call Kyle gets at the start about his car warranty expiring. That was a spam call, right?

Just a small joke that doesn't get brought back up. I love it.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

xerxus posted:

So the call Kyle gets at the start about his car warranty expiring. That was a spam call, right?

Just a small joke that doesn't get brought back up. I love it.

Yes, it's a Granny Robo-dialer, the next step would ask him for the last 4 of his social to confirm his identity.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

when nobody barfed after eating the shrooms I was all “pffffft has nobody in the writers room done them” but drat they NAILED IT

I can’t do them anymore after an extremely cursed trip but drat if that doesn’t make me want to give ‘em one more shot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Episode 5. I love this stupid loving show so much.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

How is this show THIS good still? Every episode this season is better than the last. Ken Marino is truly one of the funniest people on the planet. Kind of a shame they didn't get Kaitlyn Dever back as Escapade but Liv Hewson was great. Surprisingly emotional overall for Party Down.

The original show ended with a fairly hopeful ending for many of the characters. It looks like they're setting that up again. I'd be glad to see them all get happy endings if this is the only season, but am glad to drat them to catering hell so the show can continue.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Lost my mind at Roman’s book being optioned to a Quibi-like.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I had never watched the original show, and the good reactions to the reboot convinced me to give it a go. Honestly took me a few episodes to get hooked, but I felt like it basically got better as it went until I absolutely loved it by the end of season 2.

And I'm really shocked at how natural season 3 feels. Really impressive to be able to just go straight from season 2 to 3 on a first watch and it feels like it could have all been planned out. The covid reveal was fuckin amazing.

Oh yeah, and I loved the nerdy reference where the PI2A dork says "big things have small beginnings" is a quote by David from Prometheus, when that quote in that movie is very obviously David quoting Lawrence of Arabia. Nice way to point out the lack of cultural awareness by nazi-types who want to call others degenerates etc

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 26, 2023

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Martman posted:

Honestly took me a few episodes to get hooked, but I felt like it basically got better as it went until I absolutely loved it by the end of season 2.

For me the show improves in quality extremely quickly after the pilot, which has a few moments here and there but is overall imo a pretty weak start for a show that would end up at such high heights. But I was already a huge fan of Ken Marino from WHAS and working in a job roughly as lovely as Party Down while failing to get anywhere I wanted to go at the time, so I was pretty much primed to love it.

Lost it at Ron's eight-part pratfall and Roman's opus being resurrected only to presumably get stuck in Quibu purgatory and the idea of "hot urchin." Have they said if this short season is a one-off or if there's any chance of making more? Although judging by post numbers itt we probably don't have to worry too much about that...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

From interviews and stuff they seem to be generally hopeful that a season 4 could happen and that Lizzy Caplan could be involved, but I imagine it's a big maybe at this point. At least it's a definite no

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The funniest joke that isn’t really presented as a joke is the repeated assertion that Adam Scott would be perfect for roles that call for a “Mark Strong-type”

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Loving the season, think the last episode was my favorite so far. The only thing that's been a miss for me is Jennifer Garner. She's definitely not terrible, but not that great either. Every time she's in a scene I think how much better it would be if Lizzy Caplan was in it instead. It could also be that I'm just sick of seeing her in those Capital One commercials. Excited for the finale!

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Is there any other show which has kept up the quality after a gap of over a decade then came back? It's wild, and they are actively utilizing that gap within the narrative of the show itself.

The new cast are totally on the same wavelength with tone, too.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Justin Credible posted:

Is there any other show which has kept up the quality after a gap of over a decade then came back? It's wild, and they are actively utilizing that gap within the narrative of the show itself.

The new cast are totally on the same wavelength with tone, too.

The Beavis and Butthead revival is way better then the original show ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
If reboots count, Ducktales.