Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

510rems
Mar 26, 2010

i spent all of witch queen almost exclusively on stasis/lament/stronghold. i still have a lot of fun playing that build but i'd like to switch things up for lightfall. hopefully berserker is a really cool titan subclass, cause none of the 3.0 light reworks really did much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
You'll be able to focus adept NF weapons that match the currently available weapon on a given week, and I think Hung Jury will be in the pool for S20. It's expensive tho, so I don't anticipate being able to craft more than 1/week unless you really grind out (since a platinum clear GM gives 2 ciphers, and you need 10 per focus).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

510rems posted:

none of the 3.0 light reworks really did much for me.

we found them

the darkness stasis enjoyer

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Forward_Bee posted:

You'll be able to focus adept NF weapons that match the currently available weapon on a given week, and I think Hung Jury will be in the pool for S20. It's expensive tho, so I don't anticipate being able to craft more than 1/week unless you really grind out (since a platinum clear GM gives 2 ciphers, and you need 10 per focus).

Are GMs not going to drop weapons on completion anymore?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

A laughable question, but has there been any word on new maps for Crucible and Gambit? I know they're taking the seasonal stuff and shoving it into the Strikes playlist so that's some new (to me at least) content.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Roctavian posted:

Are GMs not going to drop weapons on completion anymore?

I believe Bungie had some line in that article that said that ciphers were a drop /in addition to/ what we already get. At least I certainly loving hope so, because god drat.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gambit is dead af afaik

crucible is getting two reheats and one new map, presumably vaporwave

I'd be happy with that and one new map each for sk and bl (scarlet and Europa? hell drop scarlet do Europa and Braytech satellite), we pvp nerds aren't asking for much bungo :(

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
Europa Gambit map would be sick, imagine if it has snow storms and everything to occasionally limit vision. But I'd settle for literally anything new for gambit, because I love the mode and it needs love.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
lol, new gambit maps. kids have the wildest imaginations

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Now that Bungie has updated the three Light Subclasses, maybe they can focus on improving the core playlists :smith:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Forward_Bee posted:

Europa Gambit map would be sick, imagine if it has snow storms and everything to occasionally limit vision. But I'd settle for literally anything new for gambit, because I love the mode and it needs love.

Even bringing back the Dreaming City and Tangled Shore maps would be an improvement at this point. :(

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

Okay, so my bad, it was introduced in Haunted not Plunder. But the first week it was available it was only up for two days and then Bungie pulled it and replaced it with Mindbender’s because there was some bug with it (I think it wasn’t dropping with alternate perk combos in columns three and four.) Then it had a single week each in Plunder and Seraph and now it’s going away, and you can legacy focus it, but not the adept version.

Yeah it got done dirty in Plunder

Horror's Least was around in Haunted (Corrupted week, nice and easy) and this season (Scarlet Keep, kind of annoying). In Plunder, Mindbender was actually bugged in its debut week, and they swapped it TO Horror's Least, during Lightblade Week :barf:

Even sillier is that Silicon Neuroma was the Double Drop Gun two seasons in a row (Haunted & Plunder). Then, even though Mindbender was around for TWO weeks in Plunder, it was the Double Drop Gun for Seraph Season

The rotation schedule makes sense, but it sucks a fat hog if you're like... unable to play in the 1x week that has the gun you want. I'm glad they're adding the New Currency(tm) next season that will allow you to 'grind' for any Adept, especially during Double Drop Week, and just log on to claim the desired gun during its featured week

Not perfect, or even 'good' really, but a huge improvement over the Blink And Miss It system

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah it got done dirty in Plunder

Horror's Least was around in Haunted (Corrupted week, nice and easy) and this season (Scarlet Keep, kind of annoying). In Plunder, Mindbender was actually bugged in its debut week, and they swapped it TO Horror's Least, during Lightblade Week :barf:

Even sillier is that Silicon Neuroma was the Double Drop Gun two seasons in a row (Haunted & Plunder). Then, even though Mindbender was around for TWO weeks in Plunder, it was the Double Drop Gun for Seraph Season

The rotation schedule makes sense, but it sucks a fat hog if you're like... unable to play in the 1x week that has the gun you want. I'm glad they're adding the New Currency(tm) next season that will allow you to 'grind' for any Adept, especially during Double Drop Week, and just log on to claim the desired gun during its featured week

Not perfect, or even 'good' really, but a huge improvement over the Blink And Miss It system

Ah, old Silicon, the adept weapon I had dozens of drops for and didn't even keep one. Nothing about my drops was ever good. Very dumb that it was the double drop more than anything else.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
EDIT: They directly hosed with the weekly rotation. The final week should have been Double Nightfall Rewards (conveniently during Wendigo Week) but it has been bumped forward to Next Week, when we'll have double DFA instead :negative:

Presumably so they could have the final week be Double CruGamVan Rep

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/haykebyr/status/1558914529291116545?s=46&t=7UHQ2f6gaC-qB1N9bNuhig

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
can't wait to be the green behemoth and punch things in a slightly different way

510rems
Mar 26, 2010
they let you do infinite punching with behemoth's glacial quake but that's a trap. you wanna play it closer to something like hammer of sol where you're just casting icicles at the boss a ton.

its a lot more fun that way and does better damage than trying to run around and play it like fists of havoc.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

Good list. If you play warlock I'd toss Bump in the Night from Haunted - it's an Stasis RL you can put chill clip and demolitionist on.

The great thing about bump in the night as it turns out is you can get chill clip at level 1 on the crafted version.

My crafted palmyra-B took about a dozen level ups to get chill clip unlocked.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Riptide is another stasis fusion that can roll CR/CC and you can focus Shaxxagrams for it right now if you can’t/don’t want to raid.

It’s not farmable at all (world drop), but keep an eye out for a Reconstruction/Chill Clip Aurvandil. You can get up to nine chill clip shots in there, it’s loving stupid. Only downside is it’s a high impact so the charge time is almost a full second.

My auto loading chill chip riptide is very precious to me. Shame it won't get used much next in lightfall with the strand guns going in the kinetic slot.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DancingShade posted:

My auto loading chill chip riptide is very precious to me. Shame it won't get used much next in lightfall with the strand guns going in the kinetic slot.

Do we know anything yet about what strand weapons will have to offer?

Stasis weapons seem like they're going right in the toilet, with the changes to kinetic weapon damage...

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Witch Queen campaign and the build up to it was incredible. Not sure the game will be able to match that level of frenzied anticipation and payoff for me. Sidenote: for years there was a lot of schizoid lore musing on r/ destinylore courtesy of accounts like sanecoin which were all highly entertaining reads but the witch queen reveals put a lid on almost all of it. On the one hand it's kind of a shame. On the other, lol lmao.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do we know anything yet about what strand weapons will have to offer?

Stasis weapons seem like they're going right in the toilet, with the changes to kinetic weapon damage...

Apart from the seasonal exotics in the trailer, no clue at all. "green"

I know we're getting an exotic sidearm, whether that's quest or seasonal pass related I don't know. Of course that doesn't mean it won't be so tragic it gets vaulted on day 1 and never completed.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Astrochicken posted:

Witch Queen campaign and the build up to it was incredible. Not sure the game will be able to match that level of frenzied anticipation and payoff for me. Sidenote: for years there was a lot of schizoid lore musing on r/ destinylore courtesy of accounts like sanecoin which were all highly entertaining reads but the witch queen reveals put a lid on almost all of it. On the one hand it's kind of a shame. On the other, lol lmao.

I think from Beyond Light on was when their current narrative team was finally able to go clean up years of messy lore poo poo and decide on an actual plan for moving forward.

Not saying they wrapped up everything cleanly, or didn't do some hilarious retcons, but it is certainly far, far more coherent now.

Just in time for *checks notes* players who haven't been exposed to 8 years of varying levels of nonsense fragmented lore to jump in for the finale!

who will we provided therapy for in this years seasons?!

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Astrochicken posted:

the main thing that put a lid of WQ weird rear end leaks and theories was that we had a full leak of everything that was going to happen in WQ, so mostly everyone who knew what was going to happen was able to shut down the fakes and stuff.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

victrix posted:

I think from Beyond Light on was when their current narrative team was finally able to go clean up years of messy lore poo poo and decide on an actual plan for moving forward.

Not saying they wrapped up everything cleanly, or didn't do some hilarious retcons, but it is certainly far, far more coherent now.

Just in time for *checks notes* players who haven't been exposed to 8 years of varying levels of nonsense fragmented lore to jump in for the finale!

honestly I kinda dislike how the narrative is progressing right now. Yeah, they spent 8 years building up but they're trying to do a whole payoff really fast. "There is a warmind bunker on Europa" is a great example of the problems with their storytelling right now... Yeah, it makes sense in-universe why that would exist and it was probably hinted at in a way, but it came entirely out of left field. The space station over earth was another. They're introducing a ton of things that are big, important, and relevant..... and they came out of nowhere.

At least with the arrival of the pyramid ships it felt nice and slow, with a ton of buildup for it. We saw the pyramids a few times. Toland called out the Witness's existence all they way back in Opulence ("You don't know how far up this pyramid goes..."), etc. It took time but it felt like that time created a cool payoff. Now we just have "Somehow Eramis broke out and also there is a really bad guy on the moon that was mentioned once".

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It has to - it wasn't sustainable at the pace they were going, even with full atvi billions at their back.

I made peace with it, they're going to retcon some cool stuff, they're going to railroad some stuff.

I don't really gaf, I get to explore vaporwave city as green striker. And maybe, just maybe, vaporwave Vex raid?

I honestly don't know how the final shape will go either, we've got lightfall and 4 seasons to wind us up to that, and then... unclear!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

personally i'm pretty ok with the plot moving along at a faster pace, especially when it's a logical extension of existing story beats. DSC was a massive superstation over europa, so of course it makes sense that there would be a similar station over clovis's home planet and some bunkers here and there that we only recently learned about because they weren't open before.

all of the current plotlines feel way better than some of the asspull stuff that's happened before, like The Red Legion's Last Desperate Attempt #1 #2 #3 #4 #5, or Osiris Invested In The Blockchain While Nobody Was Looking And Now Has A Time Travel Machine In His Open-Air Basement, or The Black Armory Suddenly Appearing In The Tower And Being "Active For Hundreds Of Years" Despite Never Having Been Hinted At Prior

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

victrix posted:

I've been working on my own schizophrenic lore deep dive and they've actually been laying the seeds for the Witness and what its trying to do since at least Forsaken

"You've no idea how fortunate you are to be my chosen. You hold the flesh of a god in your hands. You are mere steps away from our salvation. Only Light and Dark, together, can unlock my way back into your world."

Riven as 'Mara'

and there's a bunch of thematic stuff/recurrent motifs since even vanilla D1 that they're still hitting that's all coming together

like, if you take Uldren's thoughts from the 'Forsaken Prince' lorebook, and compare them to some of the poo poo Rhulk or the Witness says, or is in other lorebooks like unveiling/books of sorrow, or check out the completely overlooked Book of Unmaking/For Every Rose, A Thorn/Nothing Ends trilogy, you realize that Uldren was on the path to becoming a Disciple of the Witness, but he biffed it.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 11, 2023

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

victrix posted:

I don't really gaf, I get to explore vaporwave city as green striker. And maybe, just maybe, vaporwave Vex raid?

If LF raid is the 3rd fuckin vex raid in the game and not cabal I'm blaming you specifically

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

arsenicCatnip posted:

If LF raid is the 3rd fuckin vex raid in the game and not cabal I'm blaming you specifically

hahayes.gif

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

actually thinking more about it, it'll probably be vex and cabal. Vow and King's Fall were both two enemy types, so I could see that being the direction they continue in to give them more breathing room with making encounters feel unique.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
well we've only got one scorn/taken raid so maybe a cabal/taken raid that isn't a game show

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
let's see, we've got:

vex
hive/taken
taken
vex
fallen
scorn/taken

if you throw in dungeons we've got

taken
hive
taken
fallen
cabal
vex

so yeah let's get some more taken in here.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

starting the new thread right by hitting Dredgen⁷

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Paracausal posted:

well we've only got one scorn/taken raid so maybe a cabal/taken raid that isn't a game show

Cabal Incedinors and Taken phalanxes in the same CP

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Mazerunner posted:

I've been working on my own schizophrenic lore deep dive and they've actually been laying the seeds for the Witness and what its trying to do since at least Forsaken

"You've no idea how fortunate you are to be my chosen. You hold the flesh of a god in your hands. You are mere steps away from our salvation. Only Light and Dark, together, can unlock my way back into your world."

Riven as 'Mara'

and there's a bunch of thematic stuff/recurrent motifs since even vanilla D1 that they're still hitting that's all coming together

like, if you take Uldren's thoughts from the 'Forsaken Prince' lorebook, and compare them to some of the poo poo Rhulk or the Witness says, or is in other lorebooks like unveiling/books of sorrow, or check out the completely overlooked Book of Unmaking/For Every Rose, A Thorn/Nothing Ends trilogy, you realize that Uldren was on the path to becoming a Disciple of the Witness, but he biffed it.

My own schizophrenic lore idea has been that Rasputin was going to shoot humanity, not the Traveler. Excited to see if I was right or not next week, especially now that we know Rasputin never wanted to shoot the Traveler even when Clovis told it to.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RocketRaygun posted:

"There is a warmind bunker on Europa" is a great example of the problems with their storytelling right now... Yeah, it makes sense in-universe why that would exist and it was probably hinted at in a way, but it came entirely out of left field.
It's weird from a ludonarrative perspective as well - every time over the last 2 years you jumped off behind The Big Giant Head, you got instakilled from fall damage, except now you can jump down there because reasons.

If they do remove falling damage it'll make the situation with long-looking drops even weirder. Some long falls instakill you. Some long falls (like the pre-gorgon drop in VoG) don't, because they were designed for you to use your doublejump. Some will now presumably be designed for you to fall and take no damage. You have no way of knowing which is which.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 11, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
As a guardian I am always be jumping over railings into long drops because I thought I saw a walkway or an engram or something so this will in fact increase my chances of surviving and being right.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's weird from a ludonarrative perspective as well - every time over the last 2 years you jumped off behind The Big Giant Head, you got instakilled from fall damage, except now you can jump down there because reasons.

If they do remove falling damage it'll make the situation with long-looking drops even weirder. Some long falls instakill you. Some long falls (like the pre-gorgon drop in VoG) don't, because they were designed for you to use your doublejump. Some will now presumably be designed for you to fall and take no damage. You have no way of knowing which is which.

Games have kill zones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The game's already filled with mysterious death zones not related to falling.