Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's hard for lightfall hype to match witch queen hype because the 5.9 month season directly before it was funneling the storyline right into Savathun, who is also a character we'd been aware of and connected to for years and years, and the concept of "go into the throne world to topple the hive God" is something cool and good. 1 down, 2 to go, let's knock this butterfly bitch down a peg and then move on to xivu arath!!

Compare that to "a city you've never heard of is harboring an artifact you've never heard of and needs to be rescued from the least popular enemy faction in the franchise"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
I think there is something really compelling about the high likelihood that something terrible happens to the Traveler but of course they can't spoil that in any of the pre-release stuff so all they can do is try and get the vibe across

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Compare that to "a city you've never heard of is harboring an artifact you've never heard of and needs to be rescued from the least popular enemy faction in the franchise"

I do agree somewhat with RocketRaygun in that we are running out of road to wrap up this conflict and now is probably not the time to be introducing new story elements. I am semi-intrigued by the idea of a civilization that had to survive the Collapse without the Light and thinks we’re a bunch of spoiled little bitches using it as a crutch, but I feel like that could wait until after The Final Shape and so far we’re not getting any of the gravity we could expect from a story named “Lightfall” for Pete’s sake.

I don’t know, maybe in two and a half weeks I’ll go gently caress myself, at the end of the day all I’m complaining about is “the marketing isn’t spooky enough” I guess.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'd like to hope they're doing something new and cool and they want it to be a surprise, like presage was, and they just haven't announced it.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Postsage

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's hard for lightfall hype to match witch queen hype because the 5.9 month season directly before it was funneling the storyline right into Savathun, who is also a character we'd been aware of and connected to for years and years, and the concept of "go into the throne world to topple the hive God" is something cool and good. 1 down, 2 to go, let's knock this butterfly bitch down a peg and then move on to xivu arath!!

Witch Queen also introduced Hive Guardians, which was a really interesting addition to an existing faction and lore in general.

The Tormentor seems like an interesting boss character for the “Witness” faction, but it’s being stapled to the Cabal

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I started playing this game last week because my colleagues finally were able to buy a PS5 and the game is free.
I don't understand most of what I'm doing, but I'm having a blast. There's so much to do, it's crazy.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Okay if you put together every separate instance of fighting against Hive Guardians, it would be what, thirty? Like I know I've killed several hundred hive void titan guys in Grandmaster Lightblade but that doesn't count.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Neomuna feels like a way more exciting/interesting destination then the Throneworld. The fact that there's been a bunch of build up to it being tied to some golden age stuff is neat to me.

Granted the destinations feel like they end up barely being anything in the long run, so who knows how much that matters.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I still want to see Lightbearer Hive in more content. They're fun to fight! Much more so than "oh boy it's another unstoppable ogre".

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Oxyclean posted:

Neomuna feels like a way more exciting/interesting destination then the Throneworld. The fact that there's been a bunch of build up to it being tied to some golden age stuff is neat to me.

Granted the destinations feel like they end up barely being anything in the long run, so who knows how much that matters.

Really? Neomuna will probably be cool as gently caress, all Bungie's environments are, but the Throne World in Destiny 2 was really cool and alien. That's why it was so disappointing to have very little to do with the year overall. Plus...

Jetamo posted:

I still want to see Lightbearer Hive in more content. They're fun to fight! Much more so than "oh boy it's another unstoppable ogre".

Exactly. They're honestly what I wanted when Bungie first announced champion enemies. They should have been way more prominent. Given the pattern of seasons so far, in that they use the locations of expansions previous, I feel like there will be more use of the Throne World and Lucent Hive. I hope so, anyway.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

They briefly made an appearance in season of Plunder when the Lucent Hive got involved in getting Nezarak vessels, but yeah with the exception of Risen and the tail end of Plunder the Lucent Hive, and Hive Guardians, haven’t really been involved. Maybe they will be an upcoming season where they are the main enemy faction

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I honestly predict we'll get a Witch Queen follow up season this year, like we did with Plunder and Eramis, and Seraph and Clovis.

Maybe follow up on what's happening with Immaru, and Savathun's body - maybe a plot point to do with Fikrul, as that was a dangling thread as well IIRC.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

I still want a raid CP where instead of a bossfight we have to fight 6 souped-up hive guardians, who put down a rally banner on the opposite side of the map when you do

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

Really? Neomuna will probably be cool as gently caress, all Bungie's environments are, but the Throne World in Destiny 2 was really cool and alien. That's why it was so disappointing to have very little to do with the year overall. Plus...

The Canals and some of the mission/strike areas of Throne World were cool - like all the areas with "structures" - but the other 2/3rds of the patrol space were kind of your typical bland dirt and cliff sorts of areas. Similarly, the Darkness city areas of the raid and its surrounding was cool too. But I do agree it was disappointingly underused.

An urban environment is not something we've really got in a patrol space before - there was some urban areas in the red war campaign, but that feels like sort of it. EDZ is kind of just bombed out ruins and dirt and cliff areas.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

SgtSteel91 posted:

Witch Queen also introduced Hive Guardians, which was a really interesting addition to an existing faction and lore in general.

The Tormentor seems like an interesting boss character for the “Witness” faction, but it’s being stapled to the Cabal
So a Cabal that's got additional darkness powers (resonance, strand, ice, something like that?) as opposed to a Hive that's got additional light powers. That'd be cool.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

This is pretty much why I'm hyped. Witch Queen was cool for pulling poo poo that was in the background (or done sorta half assed, like seasonal Xivu) into the foreground and shining a big rear end spotlight on it. The art was incredible, the campaign was amazing, and we got a lot of fun story stuff.

I will agree it feels like they underused the throne world a bit but,

Jetamo posted:

I honestly predict we'll get a Witch Queen follow up season this year, like we did with Plunder and Eramis, and Seraph and Clovis.

Maybe follow up on what's happening with Immaru, and Savathun's body - maybe a plot point to do with Fikrul, as that was a dangling thread as well IIRC.

^ this is very likely, Immaru/Sav's body have been dangling for a year.

Also I just really want any excuse to listen to Immaru hamming it up on comms frankly, he's more fun than Sav.

Witch Queen was kinda sorta Taken King for D2, now I'm hoping Lightfall is going to be something totally new - we're kinda headed someplace not really referenced anywhere, with a totally distinct vibe very different than the golden age ruins and hostile alien territory we've seen up to this point and I'm here for it.

(though as an aside, they loving nailed the Pyramid aesthetic, it is one of my favorites in the entire series, and that's impressive given the strength of their art team)

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

arsenicCatnip posted:

I still want a raid CP where instead of a bossfight we have to fight 6 souped-up hive guardians, who put down a rally banner on the opposite side of the map when you do
This sounds like a pretty fun take on a Horde Mode PvE activity, to be honest. I´m all for it!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If Witch Queen is D2's Taken King, that would make Lightfall D2's Rise of Iron?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

This sounds like a pretty fun take on a Horde Mode PvE activity, to be honest. I´m all for it!

I'm still fairly surprised we haven't seen a Dares of Eternity type activity where there's two groups of Guardians 'competing' with each other in two parallel PvE arenas, where stuff they do on one side affects the other.

... wait that's just Gambit with the serial numbers filed off isn't it.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I explicitly didn't invoke that because I'm hoping very much no.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

victrix posted:

I'm still fairly surprised we haven't seen a Dares of Eternity type activity where there's two groups of Guardians 'competing' with each other in two parallel PvE arenas, where stuff they do on one side affects the other.

Honestly making Gambit more like DoE isn't a bad idea. Maybe 3 rounds with different stuff happening in each one?

...Wait a minute.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

victrix posted:

Frankly, I kind of wish that Bungie would rework Gambit into something other than what it currently is now. It´s pretty obvious that the Gambit as it exists in it´s current incarnation doesn´t exactly engage the player community.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gambit is what happens when everyone wants a horde mode, but the devs try to be clever and do a horde mode with a twist, to which everyone reacts "no gently caress the twist, we wanted horde mode."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Destiny has like 14 Horde Modes. People just want 2010 back; they don't actually want Horde Mode

(horde modes suck due to our modern high tolerance for seratonin & dopamine)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Maybe I'm just not hyped for NeoGeo City because I know I'll haaaaate it by the end of the campaign and strand epilogue quests

Go fetch 150 Scorn Helmets and do 5 Heroic Public Events

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Honestly whoever's in charge of worldbuilding and story needs to go down the hall to the guy in charge of the grind and punch him in the neck.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I hope the new Lightfall Destiny means I don't get to use 1 loadout across 2 seasons to clear nearly every GM.

I....might?....miss your HoIL Arc Titan with Arbalest, a match game/champ weapon and a burn matching LFR or rocket.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Waroduce posted:

I hope the new Lightfall Destiny means I don't get to use 1 loadout across 2 seasons to clear nearly every GM.

I....might?....miss your HoIL Arc Titan with Arbalest, a match game/champ weapon and a burn matching LFR or rocket.

Match Game is going away, and there’s going to be a lot more options for anti-champ with subclass ‘verbs’ being effective against champs, so there’s an effort to get away from a set loadout

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I want to understand what people mean when they say "Horde Mode" because I feel like someone just said 6 players vs 6 Hive Guardians would be a fun horde mode?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The main thing about Savathun and other major elements is I don't think they would want to handle that in a season that goes away. You kind of need the biggest plot points to happen in expansions which are (now) stable, because build up and stuff works in seasons, but then they disappear.

As a general rule I don't expect absolutely pivotal things to happen during seasonal stories. Setups, information, yeah sure. But essential information? Probably not. Eramis got unfrozen in Plunder, but that's a one sentence explanation for anyone who missed it.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

To me a horde mode has to have some sort of per run progression, preferably where you are building up some sort of defenses around a central location. Otherwise just fighting a bunch of enemies (a "horde" of them even!) does not particularly fulfil the joy promised by the term. Don't get me wrong, the stuff in destiny with big enemy density is great! But that doesn't mean it's something it's not.

Honestly the fact that destiny has zero modes where you are making build choices that only last for the duration of the activity is kinda wild to me, feels like a huge opportunity space they just don't wanna touch.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Roctavian posted:

I want to understand what people mean when they say "Horde Mode" because I feel like someone just said 6 players vs 6 Hive Guardians would be a fun horde mode?

Gears 2 horde.
Just you, some buddies, and guns.
No dumbass twists.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Will someone with Atmos help me out? I have a 7.2.4 system and suddenly, all gun sounds for destiny are coming out of the left surround instead of the fronts. Is everyone experiencing this?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Horde mode, have four waves of increasingly complex adds, then on the fifth a boss. Start at 5 below your light level, and then add 5 for every boss. You will 100% not be able to take out enemies 20 above your light level, even the best players in the world are gonna go out just because of how damage/resist numbers work.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

shadowkeep was D2's RoI

then the original plan, BL would have been D3, witch queen would've been taken king the third, and now lightfall loops back around to being RoI again

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Maybe I'm just not hyped for NeoGeo City because I know I'll haaaaate it by the end of the campaign and strand epilogue quests

Go fetch 150 Scorn Helmets and do 5 Heroic Public Events

If you've convinced yourself you're tired of the expansion before it's even released, maybe it's time to take a break? You'll have an entire year before any fomo kicks in.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Mazerunner posted:

shadowkeep was D2's RoI

then the original plan, BL would have been D3, witch queen would've been taken king the third, and now lightfall loops back around to being RoI again

Was RoI bad or something? Comparing it to shadowkeep is dire

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ponzicar posted:

If you've convinced yourself you're tired of the expansion before it's even released, maybe it's time to take a break? You'll have an entire year before any fomo kicks in.

What? No. The planetary grinds are not a Me Problem, it's just their design template

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HaitianDivorce posted:

I think there is something really compelling about the high likelihood that something terrible happens to the Traveler but of course they can't spoil that in any of the pre-release stuff so all they can do is try and get the vibe across

I'm actually surprised the traveller shell isn't covered in graffitti and gang tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I'm actually surprised the traveller shell isn't covered in graffitti and gang tags.

IREN LORDS 4 LYFE