Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnarly Sheen
Jun 25, 2015

I'm ITT

RBX posted:

Man 6v6 sucks so bad now. Just handholding team shooting. 3v3 is much better though.

The modern Bungie developer fears the lone wolf gamer :hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

MJeff posted:

Hmmmm. Maybe something with Spark of Discharge and Spark of Beacons?

Actually maybe Undercurrent would be better for that because Undercurrent can do Demo/Voltshot. Then you can add in Spark of Ions and just have an asinine amount of grenade uptime from Demo and the Ionic Traces.

try Coldheart. Add in Fallen Sunstar for some really sick ability uptime, maybe with Hullabaloo or an Adept Hothead for seasoning~

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm gonna rank all the seasons since WQ (when I started caring about the seasons lol).

Liked:
Risen
Haunted
Seraph
Defiance
Wish

Eh:
Plunder
Deep
Witch

And now to rank the expansions.

Good:
Witch Queen

Not Good:
Lightfall

Whoo, exhausting and time consuming. Hope y'all enjoyed my objectively correct rankings of all the content that has been released so far since Witch Queen.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

PERMACAV 50 posted:

So I hear but I have yet to get anything but ad junkie or OFA in the fourth column :mad:

MJeff posted:

My 18 Braytech Ospreys with Lasting Impression can sympathize. That'll be another 5 engrams.

Finally, FINALLY got a Field Prep/Demo//Voltshot adept undies last night. Finally, I can rest. NO MORE COIL.

...that said, I hope they keep having matchmade activities drop adept focusing greebles, because it's really nice to be able to get rolls of those without farming GMs.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I really want the end to knock it out of the park so bad

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yeah. It'd be really nice if Destiny didn't end with a wet fart.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Kith posted:

Yeah. It'd be really nice if Destiny didn't end with a full on diarrhea storm in skinny jeans in the middle of a humid summer day when you're one foot from the rest stop bathroom door.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Would something on the level of Witch Queen count as knocking it out of the park to you?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

another witch queen would be pretty cool yeah

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yes, but I'd hope for better considering this is the wrap up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PathAsc posted:

Yes, but I'd hope for better considering this is the wrap up

Yes, let us all Hope For The Future

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes, let us all Hope For The Future

Goddammit, well played

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My personal expectation after the delay is something on the level of Witch Queen. If it's worse than that, I'll be disappointed. Anything better is gravy.

My personal concern is if enough people will be playing to keep the lights on after TFS regardless of its quality.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the lights will stay on regardless, sony has openly stated that they're not going to dumpster that investment. they've also said that they're planning on stepping on necks if management doesn't get its poo poo together no matter how final shape does

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm one of those people who actually enjoyed Beyond Light, then Witch Queen was a step up, then Lightfall was falling off the stairs.

I really want a minimum of Witch Queen in quality for the main campaign, story and environment etc. I've accepted that realistically no matter how they wrap it up people will be disappointed in the story, so I need the delivery of it to be good at least.

I really hope that the episodes are self contained just to give them breathing room, maybe wrap up a couple small loose ends. And for the love of god if they decide to do another story in the Destiny universe do not try a loving 10 year story. It doesn't make sense in most franchises, let alone one that rotates employees over so frequently.

I'll be playing D2 until I stop having fun. I just want it to be a nice and at least satisfactory end of they hibernate it for a little bit.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i'm one of those freaks that liked shadowkeep. i also really enjoyed beyond light and had a blast with witch queen. lightfall's complete failure to be... anything, genuinely shocked me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was whelmed by Shadowkeep, kinda disappointed by Beyond Light, loved Witch Queen and honestly I liked Lightfall just fine.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm hoping for another Taken King but expecting another Lightfall.

The quality varies so much in this game, and the worst of it is the amount of times management have gone 'trust us, we know what they want' and then released content so bad it kills preorders for the next big DLC.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
What we've seen of Into the Light so far has me optimistic, but realistically I'm expecting another Beyond Light at worst and a Witch Queen at best. No way is it going to be another Forsaken or Taken King, but I am at least confident it will be better than Lightfall.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't think it can be a Forsaken or a Taken King since it isn't fixing a broken game. Those expansions are 40% Good Content and 60% Getting Rid of The Diarrhea.

It should be another Witch Queen since TFS was originally the sequel to Witch Queen and the main/only reason lightfall was dookie is they whipped it up on the quickfast! If they just run the WQ Design Playbook again it should be just as good

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, a pretty huge amount of the success of Forsaken was actually the success of Destiny 2 patch 2.0, in addition to the obvious changes to the weapon system, I think they increased the damage and reduced the cooldown of a bunch of abilities, particularly supers, which felt like they were made of loving paper in year 1, Forsaken is also when they largely improved the quality of the dialogue and the tone of the writing (which, I guess if you really hated Nimbus, we might be in that same situation again).

In all fairness to Forsaken though, it still absolutely went buck wild by adding 9 new subclass nodes, adding one of the best locations in franchise history and an amazing raid. If not for Witch Queen, it would even have the best campaign and best raid!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MJeff posted:

Yeah, a pretty huge amount of the success of Forsaken was actually the success of Destiny 2 patch 2.0, in addition to the obvious changes to the weapon system, I think they increased the damage and reduced the cooldown of a bunch of abilities, particularly supers, which felt like they were made of loving paper in year 1, Forsaken is also when they largely improved the quality of the dialogue and the tone of the writing (which, I guess if you really hated Nimbus, we might be in that same situation again).

In all fairness to Forsaken though, it still absolutely went buck wild by adding 9 new subclass nodes, adding one of the best locations in franchise history and an amazing raid. If not for Witch Queen, it would even have the best campaign and best raid!

That's true, they rebalanced a lot to move away from Y1's focus on team shooting, potshots, and minimal ability use and damage. Hey what are these patch notes from two weeks ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S-NNgTBxyg

Jokes aside honestly I have no real hopes for Final Shape but I want to play it anyway to see what ending they lurch they seem to think the plot (minus the half they deleted) is now into. I don't plan on buying the episodes or continuing after. I've had a ton of fun with Destiny but it's really obviously going to be a whimper of an end, but I've been around off and on since beta and I want to see it through anyway.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It should be another Witch Queen since TFS was originally the sequel to Witch Queen and the main/only reason lightfall was dookie is they whipped it up on the quickfast!

I still don’t believe this theory, not only because Bungie themselves have denied it but also because there’s no way in hell remaking the three Light subclasses was less work than making Strand.

Kith posted:

the lights will stay on regardless, sony has openly stated that they're not going to dumpster that investment. they've also said that they're planning on stepping on necks if management doesn't get its poo poo together no matter how final shape does

I also don’t think Sony has publicly said any of this.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
No theory!

"Last summer, we outlined our ambition for the next era in Destiny 2 by announcing the full arc, starting with Beyond Light, followed by The Witch Queen and Lightfall,” said Blackburn. “As we began to scale production on The Witch Queen last year, we made the difficult but important decision to move its release to early 2022; we also realized we needed to add an additional unannounced chapter after Lightfall to fully complete our first saga of Destiny.”

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
TFS will sell well just for everyone who wants to be done with the series.

But when they release a new subclass in episode one or two of the new lot, hoo boy, everyone coming right back!

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Pirate Jet posted:

I also don’t think Sony has publicly said any of this.
Sony's come out and said that Bungie's being mismanaged - it was when there was that round of layoffs due to missing some absurd made-up number of sales. Sony outright said that if TFS doesn't meet expectations, they'd step in, dissolve the board, and take over management of Bungie. (Source: IGN)

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
I really hope they get weird with it. It can still be good if TFS ends with just shooting the Witness until it dies but I hope they come up with something more surprising/weird.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

ohhyeah posted:

I really hope they get weird with it. It can still be good if TFS ends with just shooting the Witness until it dies but I hope they come up with something more surprising/weird.

They're going to a lot of trouble demonstrating that the witness is just a guy, mortal and all. So I don't think it will get very weird.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ohhyeah posted:

We know there are going to be two separate endings- the campaign and the raid. Most likely in the campaign we shoot the witness's plan until it fails, then in the raid we shoot him until he dies (while standing on platforms and/or dunking orbs)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Possibly matching hard to describe symbols as well.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
All 6 players step on the buttons that make the Final Shape to start damage phase then Well at the smokestack

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I gotta say, the witness is not an effective villain to me.

The design is... Interesting. But the real problem for me is having him show up in the final act of the story and then disappear

Presumably TFS campaign will be witness focused but the whole thing just feels like a side quest

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I think it'd be better if its connection to the other groups was clearer? it doesn't seem to be actually DOING anything, we've spent the whole year dealing with cabal/hive/taken like always and everyone just goes on about the witness's Spooooky Plans.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Witness would be more interesting if he spent more of his time trying his best to convince his disciples that Darkness != Evil just like Light != Good apparently and that Nezarec's just being a stupid rear end in a top hat calling himself a God of Pain and sighing as Rhulk blows up another planet because they knew the meaning of friendship

No one's seen Oryx in millenia and the Witness has to ask him how many extinctions he did while apologizing to the other planets in the way

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

A large part of why the Witness doesn't work as a "powerful villain" is because we, personally, have never encountered them or witnessed them being powerful. Sure, we've seen them doing Powerful Villain Stuff, but there's been no gameplay representation of their power except for their lackeys:

Eramis (who we beat)
Savathun (who we beat)
Rhulk (who we beat and turned into babygirl)
Calus (who we utterly shamed so badly that we don't even re-fight him for fun)
Nezarec (who we babygirl'd on day 1)
Xivu Arath (who we completely subverted)

The Witness would be a lot more intimidating if we attempted to approach it and it sent us away with a thought or destroyed the ship we were on without effort or any number of displays of raw power. Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire did something like this - if you insisted on trying to pick a fight with [REDACTED]? You were obliterated. No fight, no chance, no nothing. An in-game scene where the Witness clearly displays just how powerful they are and that we have no chance against them would go a long way towards building anticipation for Final Shape because it would finally show us an opponent that we couldn't simply shoot into submission.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Pirate Jet posted:

I still don’t believe this theory, not only because Bungie themselves have denied it but also because there’s no way in hell remaking the three Light subclasses was less work than making Strand.

They denied that Strand was supposed to be part of Lightfall and extracted out into a new expansion. The "green" and "weaver" connections with Savathun caused a lot of people to assume that while looking for an explanation for why Lightfall turned out like it did.

Lightfall/TFS were absolutely not supposed to be 2 expansions in the original plan, they have confirmed that publicly.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Um I think you forgot the time where it flicked a finger and breadsliced an NPC who we only knew about from Trials lore tabs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Final shape is revealed to be a trapezoid.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]
The witness would be more intimidating if its head wasn't a haunted milk tornado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

haveblue posted:

We know there are going to be two separate endings- the campaign and the raid. Most likely in the campaign we shoot the witness's plan until it fails, then in the raid we shoot him until he dies (while standing on platforms and/or dunking orbs)

Three endings, actually, if the leaks are to be believed.