Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

510rems posted:

none of the 3.0 light reworks really did much for me.

we found them

the darkness stasis enjoyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gambit is dead af afaik

crucible is getting two reheats and one new map, presumably vaporwave

I'd be happy with that and one new map each for sk and bl (scarlet and Europa? hell drop scarlet do Europa and Braytech satellite), we pvp nerds aren't asking for much bungo :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Astrochicken posted:

Witch Queen campaign and the build up to it was incredible. Not sure the game will be able to match that level of frenzied anticipation and payoff for me. Sidenote: for years there was a lot of schizoid lore musing on r/ destinylore courtesy of accounts like sanecoin which were all highly entertaining reads but the witch queen reveals put a lid on almost all of it. On the one hand it's kind of a shame. On the other, lol lmao.

I think from Beyond Light on was when their current narrative team was finally able to go clean up years of messy lore poo poo and decide on an actual plan for moving forward.

Not saying they wrapped up everything cleanly, or didn't do some hilarious retcons, but it is certainly far, far more coherent now.

Just in time for *checks notes* players who haven't been exposed to 8 years of varying levels of nonsense fragmented lore to jump in for the finale!

who will we provided therapy for in this years seasons?!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It has to - it wasn't sustainable at the pace they were going, even with full atvi billions at their back.

I made peace with it, they're going to retcon some cool stuff, they're going to railroad some stuff.

I don't really gaf, I get to explore vaporwave city as green striker. And maybe, just maybe, vaporwave Vex raid?

I honestly don't know how the final shape will go either, we've got lightfall and 4 seasons to wind us up to that, and then... unclear!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

arsenicCatnip posted:

If LF raid is the 3rd fuckin vex raid in the game and not cabal I'm blaming you specifically

hahayes.gif

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

Really? Neomuna will probably be cool as gently caress, all Bungie's environments are, but the Throne World in Destiny 2 was really cool and alien. That's why it was so disappointing to have very little to do with the year overall. Plus...

This is pretty much why I'm hyped. Witch Queen was cool for pulling poo poo that was in the background (or done sorta half assed, like seasonal Xivu) into the foreground and shining a big rear end spotlight on it. The art was incredible, the campaign was amazing, and we got a lot of fun story stuff.

I will agree it feels like they underused the throne world a bit but,

Jetamo posted:

I honestly predict we'll get a Witch Queen follow up season this year, like we did with Plunder and Eramis, and Seraph and Clovis.

Maybe follow up on what's happening with Immaru, and Savathun's body - maybe a plot point to do with Fikrul, as that was a dangling thread as well IIRC.

^ this is very likely, Immaru/Sav's body have been dangling for a year.

Also I just really want any excuse to listen to Immaru hamming it up on comms frankly, he's more fun than Sav.

Witch Queen was kinda sorta Taken King for D2, now I'm hoping Lightfall is going to be something totally new - we're kinda headed someplace not really referenced anywhere, with a totally distinct vibe very different than the golden age ruins and hostile alien territory we've seen up to this point and I'm here for it.

(though as an aside, they loving nailed the Pyramid aesthetic, it is one of my favorites in the entire series, and that's impressive given the strength of their art team)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

This sounds like a pretty fun take on a Horde Mode PvE activity, to be honest. I´m all for it!

I'm still fairly surprised we haven't seen a Dares of Eternity type activity where there's two groups of Guardians 'competing' with each other in two parallel PvE arenas, where stuff they do on one side affects the other.

... wait that's just Gambit with the serial numbers filed off isn't it.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If Witch Queen is D2's Taken King, that would make Lightfall D2's Rise of Iron?

I explicitly didn't invoke that because I'm hoping very much no.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

That said, there's going to be a whole bunch of people that will be very upset when we punch the Witness to death in the campaign rather then the raid.

They got around that in Taken King by having you punch him to death in the campaign and the raid!

I'll be amazed if they stick the landing

Not skeptical, or optimistic, just curious

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Stop worrying about it

Destiny is full of extremely nice weirdos who love to teach people stuff

I can't emphasize this enough

there's nothing a destiny vet gives less of a poo poo about than dying

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

bring back every pvp map from D1 and every vaulted d2 map

"but they're not bal"

I do not give a single gently caress

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

am I missing something? ability spam has been absurd for a full year now

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

if we don't get Season of the Immaru I'm rioting

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Ammit AR2: 101

what the gently caress

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I just think it's neat.

this is objectively the correct reason to use anything in Destiny

however my what the gently caress stands

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

element verbs from subclasses will work against champs come lightfall, so dealing with them should be substantially less of an issue - even moreso since you can save and change loadouts with the press of a button in-game (I believe it even shows what champs a given loadout has equipped)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

from a certain point of view, you're the blueberry!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

To add to that, I also haven't played in a few years, I liked strikes and crucible, but it felt like the only thing bungie wanted me to do was the seasonal menagerie knockoff. I got pretty bored of the menagerie as soon as it wasn't the actual menagerie, is that still the main focus of each expansion? Here's a new activity do it ad nauseam for 3 months?

Are strikes and crucible worth playing at all for loot? What do you mean rep track?

if you're bored of the core gameplay loop, that has not changed, and you won't find what you're looking for

if you liked the gunshoots and loot loots but want the same with slightly less rough edges, that's where we're at, and where we're headed

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

if you look at the story stuff as a pool you dive into and not a single path you follow you'll be happier

hell I've been around since the beginning and I don't consume every possible piece of info in the game

find what interests you and dig into it - sometimes it's a small one off, sometimes you'll find cool links and a rabbit hole - it's destiny dorkeology

the big beats aren't hard to follow, you can catch up on everything from shadow keep to now with a few videos or a written summary

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've kind of lost track of how many sentient weapons/gods/people are in my backpack

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

there's a billion other start-to-finish story games out there, I don't think it hurts to have a pseudo living world where things happen and change over time, sometimes getting lost, sometimes getting brought back, sometimes being retold wrong

that's setting aside the newbie onramp mechanically, which they know is dogshit and are taking major steps to address in LF

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

bets on how long before thunderous casual player complaints roll back difficulty changes

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

friendly reminder that actual casual players run double primary with 0 mods slotted

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RocketRaygun posted:

But boy people will freak out that they deleted their Blast Furnace or whatever and bungie unsunset the gun.

lmao delete my Blast Furnace

what do you think I am, a terrorist?

besides I kept two :smug:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the opposite iirc, think they like it

also the real monkeys paw is the match game changes

"we heard you hated match game so we removed it!*"

*and added it everywhere

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm still mildly surprised they didn't pair the shield elements with two elements, because there are so few strand and stasis shields in the game (I can't even recognize stasis shields at a glance)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

warlock is the easy recommend, they're superb in pve and lol@pvp rn

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

crucible ghost getting sliced up is some real passive aggressive poo poo

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

eh, I don't think there's any way they could have resolved the 'series' that would please everyone

leave threads dangling and mysterious (ala early Destiny's fragmented lore/storytelling) people complain it's unclear

spell everything out and put it in your face (ala current seasonal storytelling), people complain it's spoonfed

wrap everything up with a big bad, people complain it's too pat

I'm happy we get to go to cool places they've mentioned, and shoot aliens with cool guns made from aliens

If we get the blue star vex homeworld at some point before D2 goes into maintenance mode I'll be content

If there's going to be some form of D3 ever, I'd assume it would be extrasolar, but I wonder if that would have the reach of Halo and Destiny - a substantial part of their appeal was familiarity, setting the game around humanity on earth, with recognizable elements

The game has strayed farther and farther from that (seriously go compare early D1 marketing - armed astronauts meeting the traveler then riding a sparrow on venus to the most recent D2 trailers - some weird loving bug thing hugging a bug baby, smoke conehead man and bondage royal rhino), and I feel like that makes it harder to draw in new fans that aren't already invested (cf. Warframe, let me dig up the text description of their most recent frame description...)

what the actual gently caress posted:

Instead of a Leverian, you can reveal Citrine’s origins by visiting Otak in the Necralisk on Deimos and by playing the new Tyana Pass Mission on Mars. Citrine’s Prex Card can also be obtained from Otak.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Oh it's 10000% going to be shittier and dumber than we will ever be able to guess, and I can't wait.

same, embrace the bad and you cannot be disappointed

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

wait that's destiny's tagline

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kith posted:

The Awoken came from a colony ship driving through a Black Hole, although they were "coded" to act how they did because the human version of Mara Sov went through the Black Hole first.

Mara Sov is kind of a loving monster that caused theoretically infinite suffering in a paradise world because she wanted to be the prettiest.

You can read all about it in Marasenna!

this reminds me, any Axiom Verge fans?

the creator is a huge nerd and I love him

https://www.thomashapp.com/omniverse/simulationimperative

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I picked up Destiny 2 from the ps+ store a week or so ago?

Man... this game is wiiiildly obscure. I've basically got no loving idea what I'm doing at all times, beyond shooting people and not getting shot.

The gameplay is extremely fun. I am a Halo dude from waaaaay back, and I'm starting to figure out the loot system.

I think I will pick up the new expansion so I can get in on the ground floor of an expansion.

Anyway, is there anything I should know that is important but not immediately obvious about playing the game Destiny 2?

join the Overchill discord and group up for everything

like it says on the tin, goons there are chill, and everything in this game is easier and more fun with extra people

otherwise, don't sweat learning every little thing, just enjoy the shoot and the loot

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ponzicar posted:

I've never played Destiny 1, but I get the impression that it was filled to the brim with grindy rng based bullshit and that people's fondness for it is a form of Stockholm syndrome.

but enough about destiny 2

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

OK is there a controller combo that does that?

Yes I can just lean forward but still!

(thanks!)

it's in the gameplay menu under settings for some stupid reason

(also change character, which is the quick way to quit some things)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

fr, stasis is whipping rear end in my group, agers too

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I swear there's something wrong with the graphics in the city, it's like there's a grey fog or filter over everything, very unlike Bungie, areas are usually really well lit and color saturated, especially in HDR, but this looks... off somehow

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

After taking a day to digest the campaign and post-campaign story stuff, I think where I've landed is rescheduling really hosed this story

1) Strand was supposed to be earned in Witch Queen. It makes perfect sense there thematically (and would have had some really cool duality with the Hive gaining the Traveller's Light and us gaining the Witch Queen's Strand):

2) The main CG cutscene makes no loving sense when viewed as bookends to the campaign. It makes plenty of sense if you watch it as a single whole video as the intro to Lightfall and the end of Destiny 1/2/10 year plan/light-darkness saga whatever you want to call it. Starts off with a bang, Witness clowns everyone, succeeds immediately, now it's off to the races to stop whatever the gently caress it is doing. Instead, the shutters on the Helm close, we go have zany adventures in Neomuna, do a Rocky training montage with Osiris, hang out with Nimbus for a good long while while the Witness sits out in space knitting, then poof, shutters open and Witness executes its master plan!

3) Strand makes no loving sense in Neomuna. It's here more than anywhere else that the shift from WQ to LF feels most jarring. poo poo like encountering loving Shadow Cabal with Strand shields like, immediately! And then Osiris yelling that we must acquire Strand, it's the only way we can surprise the Witness and defeat Calus! The gently caress, bro, they already have it for some reason (conversely, if we had acquired it back in WQ, it would have been something unique and hidden by Savathun, which is very appropriate for her entire M.O.)

4) You could maybe possibly make the argument the Veil is supposed to be some vital part or organ of the Traveller that Savathun hid during the collapse to stop the Witness. How or why it was hidden in the solar system and the Witness couldn't find it, who knows. Why the Witness needs it to open the portal to the Traveller's cotton candy dimension, also who knows. The heart of the black garden being a failed clone of the heart feels like some too-pat retconny nonsense to try to tie up a story thread that didn't need to be tied up, but again, who knows. This only sort of makes sense when considering the Parasite mission where the worm straight up tells you Savathun rode shotgun for the Witness during the collapse until it was going to shank the Traveler, then she pulled a real humdinger of a scheme.

5) Really just a bit of meta thinking, but if we got dark blue in Beyond Light and green in Witch Queen and then whatever the next darkness flavor was in this campaign (orange resonance?), we'd wrap up the story having Learned The Darkness Alongside Our Light, and we'd wage the big final battle with The Friends We Made Along The Way.

6) More meta thinking - how do you go from the Witch Queen to this incredibly messy Lightfall campaign? You have a narrative team forced to re-write what was supposed to be the last campaign now split into two campaigns and stuff a power acquisition story into a place it wasn't supposed to be. You can't do any big reveals, because those are already all earmarked for The Final Shape, so you somehow cram a campaign in between the shutters on the helm closing and opening.

Anyway, idle random baseless speculation and rambling. Destiny story is nonsense at the best of times, but Lightfall, especially after Witch Queen, misses the mark on so many obvious storytelling rules.

I think what's most annoying is that you can't have your Empire Strikes Back or your Infinity War without clear stakes and clear consequences, and they could have pulled that off here. Instead we got Osiris whining about Strand, sucking up so much oxygen in the story they did tell, and no clear explanation of what the Witness was doing, or why we should care. Frustrating.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I didn't buy this expansion yet cause I got slightly sick of playing the game in the last couple seasons, didn't even finish out the track in that last one, or bother getting the exotic pulse rifle. Sounds like I might have made the right decision, there's the honeymoon period usually with expansions where people are excited by new stuff, usually you have to wait a couple weeks for the issues to start surfacing but this one it's not even been 2 days.

fwiw I think the campaign gameplay was fun, the season thing is fun, the qol changes are all really really good

basically if you like pve shoots and don't give a poo poo about the story, pvp, or gambit, it's probably worth playing (did I just describe launch D1)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So how do people feel about Strand at least? I haven't done anything since I completed the campaign last night so I haven't gotten any of the fragments or grenade alternatives but I like the Hunter homing dagger.

ton of fun once you get your fragments and get a good armor setup + artifact mods going

it wasn't immediately clear to me that unravel is the strand jolt/volatile/ignition analog (titans only access to it is grapple melee afaict)

when the new fragments open up next week warlock is going to have an absolutely hilarious threadling build

oh and speaking of elemental aoes, Kinetic got one too, which is... lazy design or fun and cool you decide - I didn't check which guns have it, so I'm not sure if it's craftable yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

arsenicCatnip posted:

Is there some optimal way to get strand essences I'm missing? Running around killing enemies seems really slow

whatever the daily rotating incursion thing on Neomuna is, make sure to sparrow out and back to open the chest three times