Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

To me a horde mode has to have some sort of per run progression, preferably where you are building up some sort of defenses around a central location. Otherwise just fighting a bunch of enemies (a "horde" of them even!) does not particularly fulfil the joy promised by the term. Don't get me wrong, the stuff in destiny with big enemy density is great! But that doesn't mean it's something it's not.

Honestly the fact that destiny has zero modes where you are making build choices that only last for the duration of the activity is kinda wild to me, feels like a huge opportunity space they just don't wanna touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I really enjoyed running seraphs shield a bunch of times, always solo and on legendary once it unlocked. Aside from having to do it in one sitting, it largely was structured really well imo. It was nice having a thing where having a good build felt really impactful, but didn't need anti champion anything, nor any specific element (though I usually went void, I ended up doing it at least once with every element just because).

Having it show up on a rotator every so often seems ideal for what it is - I don't think it's worth doing every week, but it's enjoyable enough to do every once in a while, particularly once you know exactly what to do. Then again, it might tip over into awful as soon as solo operator is gone, depending on how the build situation looks when lightfall drops.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

All I want is craftable fusion rifles, give me all of them, every element/frame combo possible. More swords would be nice too, especially kind that shoots projectiles, but only after they add more fusions.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

It sounds like these surges are going to affect a lot more things at once, which is a huge difference from the current system. If I can equip one of the two current subclasses that are surging, and every single kinetic weapon I have gets a big damage boost, AND I don't have to fiddle with mods for specific weapon combos to deal with champions, then the new system sounds extremely different in terms of actual effect on how many choices I have for a particular thing. Like, yeah, you could get super worried that Bungie is going to do things in the worst possible way, and empirically you wouldn't be wrong to do so, but given that the explicit purpose of these changes is to let people have more options when deciding what weapons to use, this particular issue is probably going to turn out okay depending on a bunch of specifics of implementation that no one's gonna know about til it's out.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

There is a thing in the guardian ranks that says it unlocks more mods once you do some nightfalls. There could be more to unlock in the other ranks too, but who knows.

First thing I did was accidentally make a load out with whatever I had equipped when the mission loaded, then after carefully looking over everything and equipping mods in every slot I went to save it and... accidentally hit x to equip the blank load out instead of holding square to overwrite it. Probably won't make that mistake dozens of times in the future!

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

There's a lot of bad, but after several hours I finally noticed that hitting right on the dpad when looking at the inventory menu opens a new screen for equipping mods on all your armor at once, just like that slightly hidden menu for messing with your cosmetics. It's not the best interface, but the bar is so low it's a HUGE improvement imo.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

That’s 99% of the people, which is why requiring 750 of them to level up the guardian rank is awful.

I though the score was different than the raw number you get? Pretty sure at the very least you get some points for giving them out too.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I was so relieved when I learned I could just unequip then reequip weapons to fix them not showing up. Went through a whole strike that way once and it drove me bonkers.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I don't think there's any justification for the story being what it is besides "they chopped it up for production reasons and didn't do a great job" which, idk, sucks. I enjoyed the heck out of actually playing the missions, even the blender and calus. Yeah, they were hard, but I wasn't in a rush to finish, and I enjoyed figuring out how to deal with the challenge. Getting some artifact unlocks, especially the volatile on orb one, really made a huge difference. Also grinding out the catalyst for quicksilver storm, completely changed that gun from boring garbage to fun good times, particularly during any mission where you are sometimes strand and sometimes not. The dual void/strand siphon mod helped with those missions a lot too.

Lotta small stuff has made strand just feel much better than I thought at first - the grenade recharge on damage fragment, figuring out I could grapple to the thread balls and keep grenade energy, finally noticing that debuff/cool down saying you can only make a ball every 15 seconds or whatever and it wasn't just broken. Literally the only place a lot of information about how strand works is in the tooltips of various fragments (or at least that's all I saw) which sucks, but now that I know I guess I don't care. The fact that you get more currency to buy strand abilities from actually using them is fantastic, as someone who only unlocked stasis on one character and still don't have the last fragment.

Overall, actually playing the game feels pretty good right now! The story part of lightfall is going to be an embarrassment forever, but I think anyone not forcing themselves to bash their heads against the entire campaign on legendary difficulty day one will probably have an okay to good time with it all.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

victrix posted:

I feel like the delta between a solid build and 'just whatever' is massive right now, and that's contributing to some of the disparity in impressions

Oh and gently caress legend lost sectors forever

I agree with all of this, and also can't help but think of the person earlier who said, when having trouble with calus, something along the lines of "actually using these grappling points really helped". Like...yeah?? People being super mad at blender room and calus make a lot more sense if you imagine them never using grapple to get out of danger pretty much whenever you want. You can even use the follow-up before you hit the ground to blow everything up after every point you swing to!

The new planet definitely is too high of a LL though. As much as I like the current difficulty in general, it's way too tedious to kill a lot of things there for too long after finishing the campaign even on legendary. Most primary ammo weapons just feel bad right now in a lot of content. Maybe it's the kind of thing that sorts itself out as the average LL floats towards the cap, but in the meantime a lot of things are kinda miserable. I imagine that bug where lots of mods just stop working on respawn til you reslot them has not helped any of this.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I have very little hope of getting new exotic armor rolls any time soon. Really wish I had grabbed the strand warlock boots instead of the stasis ones, but I stupidly thought it would be no big deal to get the other with a more interesting roll.

So far vex incursion has crashed on me every time there have been enough people doing it that we would have been successful, including twice just last night. Legendary Lost Sectors were some of my favorite things to do pre lightfall! They are currently my most despised, and I LIKED the LF Legendary difficulty. Maybe as I get closer to 1830 everything will stop sucking so much, but a lot of the new ways you can deal with each champion either require a cool down or killing a different enemy to activate the effect, which effectively does not happen when you need it to if things take long enough to kill.

I'm not normally a "champions are the worst and should be removed" guy but every LLS I've ran since LF has pushed me closer and closer. A huge part of it might just be that resetting the artifact isn't actually free so building specifically for each LLS/champion setup is more limited than it should be. That bug where mods stop working is probably making everything harder than it ought to be too, but whatever the reason, LLS are garbage to play right now.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

This was listed as fixed in Wednesday's patch, is it still charging glimmer for it?

Oh drat, I didn't see that and haven't tried it since I realized I had accidentally spent 400k+ glimmer on resetting it since LF launched. That's great news!

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

As someone who spent a lot of time last season learning and practicing soloing duality, hell yeah this is rad af!

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

My opinion on the raid difficulty - as someone who hasn't raided since vault of glass in the first game - is that hearing that this raid is "easy" has made me really think about trying to get back into raiding.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Between last week's trails and iron banner, I took the suros catalyst from 0 to complete. Turns out, pretty good gun! I have absolutely no idea how to use the "speed up as you hold fire" perk, the other one feels so much better, even after the recoil boost from the catalyst. Not that I've spent much time with it since, because my broken rear end brain says "you cant level this up any more, don't bother using it!" and instead I've been trying to figure out how to use the multitool, with absolutely no luck. Fwiw, Jade rabbit just felt right to me, but I don't really get the ranges or spots to be in to do well with Mida at all.

Also, despite really just having it equipped to passively level it while grinding out suros, that crafted seasonal fusion is pretty good in crucible once you get some range on it (and of course, the best-choice-on-basically-every-fusion-rifle Arrowhead Break). I put threat detector and successful warm up on it since Ive been pretty much only doing pvp, fully intending to eventually swap it to reservoir burst and envious assassin for pve bullshit, but it's been working so well I might just leave it as is. Really absurd you can't put multiple perks on a crafted gun, or even get a discount for perks a gun has had before.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The problem with the commendation system imo is that the guardian ranks require you to do every single objective. I feel pretty confident that if you only had to complete 20/23 or whatever things to go to the next rank, with an extra glow around the icon for doing every objective up to your current rank, people would feel much better about the whole situation. You know, the way several other very similar systems already in destiny currently work.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Not sure who that exotic focusing is for with those costs, but it sure isn't for people who are having trouble running a LLS over and over.

The vex strike force "alternative" is also very funny, since literally every time I've tried to do it and there was more than one other person trying to do it at the same time the game crashed.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

There's a lot of stuff that is weird right now, compared to where it was - they probably should revert it so 100 res gives 40% damage reduction, but keep the even scaling (so every ten points gives 4%). They hit everything from so many directions, and imo that would be the easiest way to make things a bit more forgiving without being too drastically different.

The problem with making so many enemies harder to kill is that so much of the lifecycle of a build in action revolves around getting kills - from basic stuff like rampage or kill clip or whatever, to the fundamental core of the new mod system, which is making orbs. There is a breakpoint where a lot of builds just do not work if you are not making and grabbing orbs fast enough, and if you are below that breakpoint the game feels orders of magnitude worse. Primaries getting their base damage boosted should help a lot, but who knows if or when that's actually coming.

At some point I did cross a threshold where I can do pretty much any LLS I want, and it's just a matter of how annoying it is to actually farm. Which has put me in a new weird place, because the LLS actually give two prisms and some cores every single time! As a not raider who has done only a couple dungeons, this has exploded the prism/shard economy, and now glimmer is the number one pain in the rear end holding everything back currency, which apparently can only really be farmed via public events. Public events are fine, but the moment I felt like I had to do them I began to despise them. Which isn't that uncommon with things in destiny, apparently.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

If you don't have any high stat armor, the focusing that gives you a random roll of any seasonal armor but only costs 1 engram and 1000 glimmer also will pop out 60-66 stat stuff

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

They should just change the pattern unlock to a percentage and give a couple percent for every gun with a pattern you dismantle, and a huge percent for every deep sight you extract. Hell you could even still have this new currency/system for adding deep sight and just give a big percentage boost instead of turning it red or whatever. Then every drop matters, and red drops are still a Big Deal.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

If the dude signed an NDA with Bungie so they would share information with him, and then he intentionally broke that NDA, that dude could have been super hosed, legally speaking. Getting away with a ban and severing contact, without even being called out publicly, is the absolute best you can hope for in this kind of situation. Him feeling like he had to address it because streaming destiny is his job is 100% his problem, caused directly by his actions.

Honestly I agree that the whole secrecy/super planned out reveals or whatever are stupid and pointless. That doesn't change the fact that people at Bungie want to do things that way, and if you sign a contract in order to participate in that system, you gotta deal with the consequences for fuckin up. Destiny isn't a public good, it's absurd to want like, whistleblower protection for leakers.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I recently got a alh/chill riptide (with arrowhead brake ofc, wouldnt consider using one without it), which has been nice, but honestly it hasnt entirely replaced my old feeding frenzy/chill clip one. Its pretty easy to get a whole group of reds with a shot or two, just a great gun. Guns real nice for a double special/all fusion rain of fire thing too.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I used that new exotic machine gun, vexadecimal I think it's called, to absolutely destroy the strike. Just normal nez warlock stuff besides that, ended up with 168,000 points from me alone, was pretty fantastic. I slightly messed up my build and didn't have a way to stun unstoppables, but it was still the most overpowered I've felt in a while, really made me wanna use that thing more. Didn't realize about the point bonus from emoting before finishers til I read the thread, that definitely contributes a lot to getting a big score.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

For the current gg nightfall thing, just use wavesplitter and a bunch of perks that synergize with it and it's absurdly easy to get tons of points AND move quick. Don't forget the void fragment that reloads on suppress! With the current artifact making GBS threads out orbs on matching shields and orbs giving volatile, you can get real wild. If you get unlucky with special ammo there's the finisher that gives you some. Personally I just keep grenade kickstart + firepower on because at this point Ive run the drat thing so often I know exactly where groups of enemies are that are perfectly situated to toss a suppression grenade and pop em all without even having to look at them.

Hard to say if nez warlock is more fun than (take your pick of specifics) void titan but with the gg gold buff you can really get rolling in a way that I have found super enjoyable even after running the same strike over and over. I only just got crown splitter a few days ago so the novelty of just completely flattening huge dudes hasnt worn off yet, which has slightly given the edge to titan in terms of fun, but you can toss a LOT of nova bombs with all the cool down buffs ATM and that's pretty great too.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I know it SAYS you can get nightfall and exotic stuff from the GG playlist, but has it actually happened for anyone? I know did at least 15 of them last week cause I did the thing for the seal, but I sure as poo poo didn't get any militias. I think I got an exotic exactly once, but I'm pretty certain it was from the pinnacle reward.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Feel like the seasonal bow is the real stasis unlocking game changer nowadays

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I've solod up to the third phase of the last boss of legendary Avalon but there is no checkpoint if you leave the activity so I still haven't finished it. Took about three hours, but that was back when I was like 20 light levels lower, so I could probably do it okay now. Genuinely my feelings would completely turn around on it if it had checkpoints, but right now I low key hate that thing.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Isn't there a quest in the Cosmodrome that gives you arbalest for free now?

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Legendary lost sectors are absolutely terrible slogs until some magical light level threshold where they become totally fine. Overall it really sucks, but people keep talking about light level going away so maybe that's the way it will get fixed

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The problem I have with this thread often is that people are not talking to Bungie, yet they talk to everyone else as if they were. Or at least as if Bungie (whoever that is, because there are hundreds of people that make the game, corporations ain't people!) were listening.

There's a huge difference between "this thing is broken for these reasons and that sucks" and "this thing is broken you fucker, how dare you", and reading the latter all the time is miserable.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I think strikes having a bunch of story dialogue that basically repeats verbatim (with a few exceptions) every time you do it is one of the worst parts about them. The other worst part is how much of strikes IS just running, and for the same reason: it feels like you are doing the exact same thing 90% of the time. It would be some amount of work, but if the versions of strikes in the playlist were actually structured differently than the story versions (teleporting you to the next area where literally anything is happening instead of padding the mission out with running to the next area, having less/way more generic dialogue, mixing up the order of the combat/puzzle areas which would be real easy if the player doesn't have to run through them linearly, etc) then a lot of the mental friction of running them over and over would be greatly reduced.

All of the things I just said have a huge IMO disclaimer attached obviously. I just fundamentally dislike the way destiny wants the player to repeat content over and over, but also tries to make all the content very scripted and linear. The content that IS designed that way (the seasonal activities and whatnot) still has that padded out feeling, so I don't know that what I want out of the game is actually possible with the way its made now. It's a testament to how good actually playing the game feels that it's all as palatable as it is. I guess the bright side is that theoretically there is a lot of room for the game to be much better one day, when whatever engagement metrics that appear to rule the game as currently designed stop mattering.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I gotta say I was extremely disappointed until I saw unstoppable fusion and now I am all the way in. Couldn't care less about new very slightly different orbs, but theoretically being able to use fusions whenever I want without feeling penalized sounds great!

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The moment they added the button in the vault ui that says "install some random app on your phone we didn't make so you don't have to use this screen!" was the moment I knew there were fundamental issues with the direction of the game. You can't even sort by ELEMENT, much less weapon type! Absolute disaster of a user experience.

I know it seems like a small thing compared to the more dramatic and obvious issues people have with destiny right now, but I have never been able to get over how unimportant the UI/UX for the game appears to be to the people in charge at Bungie. Fundamentally destiny is a loot game, and the experience of trying to sort through and compare the loot you have is MISERABLE. You can access your vault nearly anywhere if you use your phone, but you have to load into a specific area and interact with a specific object in the world if you want to spend your time playing the game actually in the game? Nonsense. There are so many ways that destiny tries to make the player not actually play destiny - every single new feature appears to be designed around creating content for streamers or YouTubers or wikis to tell you wtf is going on in the game.

The game they have made at this point is a game about getting you to spend time in or around destiny, not about making time spent IN destiny a good experience.

All of that is to say of course, the people making those terrible decisions are absolutely not the people who got let go, and the whole current situation is awful in all sorts of directions.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

It's also weird you can't delete loadouts

Did it just not occur to anyone?

Why can't you compare your current load out to ones you have selected so you can see what's different?

Why can't you save a set of armor without also attaching it to specific guns? I got a LOT more guns than sets of armor.

Why can't you save sets of armor mods completely separate from everything else? There really aren't that many configurations i actually use, this would save a ton of effort getting builds together.

Why can't you see what cosmetics are attached to a load out without changing to that load out? And easy followup, why can't you save and load outfits independently?

Most importantly of course, Why can't you save artifact choices in load outs?!

Destinys UI isn't good, but the UX is absolutely miserable, and I doubt anything short of new management will ever change it - ever since they "updated" the vault screen with a button that just tells you to install DIM, all hope for meaningful improvement in the UX has been futile imo.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

My strategy for adding at least a little variety to my outfits is to make sure the color scheme somewhat matches the subclass I am making the outfit for, ie generally red/orange for solar, purple for void, green for strand. Stasis and arc are both blue, and is definitely the place it gets loosest. Of course stasis leans darker and arc lighter, but it's also a good excuse to mix other colors in. Honestly the best thing for making outfits look good I've found is that old idea I definitely first heard here of not using the same shader twice in an outfit, that extra variety can really make things pop.

Also, since apparently every time I post about destiny I end up complaining about the UI: the controller interface for trying different shaders is miserable, its way too much stick movement and too many clicks to try to see how things look. It wasn't as much of a problem when I was playing on a PS4 and it took forever for the shaders to load anyways (because the other problems were so much worse, to be clear) but god does the fake mouse cursor poo poo break apart when you have hundreds of unsorted shaders. Especially since the icon for a shader can often have absolutely jack poo poo to do with how it looks equipped.

UI/UX complaints aside, I do want to say explicitly that the shader concept in general is fantastic and being able to fiddle with all those little bits is a great system. I just wish it were easier to interact with (when using a controller).

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Destiny should have a lot more portals and teleportation imo. Worst thing about strikes imo is the combat to sprinting down a slightly bendy corridor ratio. Whatever joy may have been found in pretending the space you are running through is larger than it actually is has long been ground down by years of repeatedly doing that poo poo.

Just thought about it for a minute and...they should just add a button you can hit when you have your ghost out to teleport to the area your teammates are in if you aren't there. Yeah yeah technical reasons, potential exploits etc, they never would actually do it, but...

You know what, better idea: steal the nuclear Throne portal that appears where you kill the last enemy in a stage that sucks everything into it and takes you to the next level. Especially if it grabs nearby ammo/corpses/engrams but with physics so half the time they fly across the room instead of going in the portal with you. Anything besides sprinting down another corridor, or doing that but jumping a little.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Yeah, dungeons and raids have interesting traversal, in strikes and seasonal content it just feels like padding to make sure the activity takes at least ten to fifteen minutes to complete. I don't have a problem with the amount of time per se, just would much rather be spending that time fighting more dudes than running down corridors. Im all for increasing the density, but I personally am at the point where I would rather sit at a loading screen for five minutes than hold forward and occasionally turn for about the same amount of time in any given strike. At least then I could look at my phone or mess with my build.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

That stasis bow from a few seasons ago might be my favorite exotic bow with all the artifact stuff active right now, and there are a Lot of great exotic bows.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

So does it start tracking all of those now, or only after the respective week starts? And is it available for the rest of the season or only til some random date?

Unless it's very generous and might kinda happen on its own, oof. Those numbers out of context make me not want to boot destiny up at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I actually could use that for stupid reasons (I already have it all on console and want to be able to use strand on PC sometimes)