Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

and i helped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Strike Explainerman would be an incredible destiny username

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

my favorite patterns from the past seasons have been

• Risen: Piece of Mind (Kinetic Rapid Fire Pulse Rifle)
  • Risen: Explosive Personality (Solar Wave Grenade Launcher)
  • Risen: Under Your Skin (Void Precision Bow)
  • Haunted: Hollow Denial (Void Trace Rifle)
  • Haunted: Drang (Baroque) (Solar Adaptive Sidearm)
  • Haunted: CALUS Mini-Tool (Solar Lightweight SMG)
  • Plunder: Brigand's Law (Arc Rapid Fire Sidearm)
  • Seraph: Disparity (Stasis Aggressive Pulse Rifle)
  • Seraph: Path of Least Resistance (Arc Trace Rifle)
  • Seraph: Fire and Forget (Stasis Aggressive Linear Fusion)
  • Seraph: IKELOS_SMG_V1.0.3 (Arc Aggressive SMG)
  • Seraph: IKELOS_SG_V1.0.3 (Solar Rapid Fire Shotgun)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

really can't recommend Under Your Skin enough since it's a Precision Bow that you can force Draw Time string/MW/perks on to make it just as fast as a Lightweight while dealing superior base damage

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lib and let die posted:

Silly question maybe, but like...how am I supposed to play with a sidearm? Hip fire up close and click the fire button like an addict slamming the morphine button?

if you can get hipfire grip on it, it's extremely valid to never ADS (especially if you have enhanced hipfire grip). it's usually best practice to ADS most guns though, especially since it keeps you in habit for guns that it matters on

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

personally i'm pretty ok with the plot moving along at a faster pace, especially when it's a logical extension of existing story beats. DSC was a massive superstation over europa, so of course it makes sense that there would be a similar station over clovis's home planet and some bunkers here and there that we only recently learned about because they weren't open before.

all of the current plotlines feel way better than some of the asspull stuff that's happened before, like The Red Legion's Last Desperate Attempt #1 #2 #3 #4 #5, or Osiris Invested In The Blockchain While Nobody Was Looking And Now Has A Time Travel Machine In His Open-Air Basement, or The Black Armory Suddenly Appearing In The Tower And Being "Active For Hundreds Of Years" Despite Never Having Been Hinted At Prior

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

starting the new thread right by hitting Dredgen⁷

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

this is like the sixth or seventh time since season of plunder launched that i've had the game just poo poo itself at random and require reinstallation. there doesn't appear to be any consistent reason for it, either - sometimes it's in the middle of a fight, sometimes it's running around an empty room. utterly baffling.

https://i.imgur.com/MMdgXS7.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

devrim cracking up about it is badly overacted but zavala's confusion and resignation is good

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

been on this screen for the better part of an hour. very cool

ponzicar posted:

I have been playing on PC since release and have never seen that myself. Maybe the hard drive it's on is dying?

i originally thought that but the past three times it's happened have been on a SSD that's less than two months old with a fresh install (since i did not trust simply moving the files)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i uninstalled and reinstalled and experienced this not even a half hour later:

so i did a bunch of digging and it appears to be caused by a corrupt crash log dump in my user folder. deleted that and have not experienced problems since.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

arsenicCatnip posted:

thats a bad roll for a sidearm op, hope this helps

It is! But I have strange perk preferences because I do not play this game properly, so I always give guns with my favorite perks at least a cursory inspection before I pass judgement

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Really hoping that they just mean that they're not going to offer patterns for seasonal World Weapons and Dungeon Weapons anymore and leave Seasonal Content/Raid patterns the gently caress alone.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it sucks bad that the most interesting part of destiny is the space magic and bungie is like "we need less space magic"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

stat mods should be 1/3 universally. being 2/4 just makes buildcrafting a bigger pain in the rear end, especially since stats tend to be the weakest part of any build (even moreso since they're nerfing ability cooldowns)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mill Village posted:

Resilience has become a very powerful stat so making it cost more makes sense.

it's also getting reduced in power so "it's strong now and that's why it needs to be nerfed with a cost increase" doesn't really fly

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mill Village posted:

30% damage reduction is still a substantial amount. The stat does more than it used to so it should cost more.

resilience has been borderline useless for the majority of destiny 2's lifetime (actually useless in most contexts) and cost as much as much more important stats (discipline and strength)

"the stat does something now" is not a reasonable justification for double-nerfing it by both reducing how powerful it is in addition to increasing its cost

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

also the new music is loving strange

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SgtSteel91 posted:

It went from useless to one of the most important stats, if not the most important stat, especially when you stack it with things like Glaive Shields, Overshields, Restoration, and soon Woven Mail.

yes, and the value reduction nerf was justified for that reason, in the same way that Protective Light had a reasonable and well-received value reduction. however, unlike Protective Light, resilience received a second nerf in addition to its value reduction. it is now worse AND more expensive, instead of just being worse, and that sucks poo poo and is not good because we've had no chance to see how the value reduction interacts with existing gameplay or the future up-tuned gameplay. we also have no idea how much the increased cost will impact buildcrafting, and for players who like to get deep into armor customization (hi, i am one of those), that also supremely sucks poo poo.

it's fine if you're not worried about this because you trust bungie. they HAVE been getting a lot better about improving game systems to focus on the fun, and i'm sure that a decent balance will get struck somewhere considering all of the cruft and bullshit that they're ripping out like armor elements and slottong seasonal mods. however, that doesn't excuse that we are currently left in the dark about something that's a pretty big deal and the lack of information does not feel great. bungie could have very easily released details in a way that could have prevented this and chose not to, so all we have right now is that resilience got nerfed twice because nuance is hard.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Whoa let's not kid ourselves here. Protective Light got nerfed to and through the ground and has not been relevant in any way since that time

It's just that it was also made unnecessary, because of void 3.0, elemental well buffs, and resilience changes

Like it's a bad example of bungie doing a nerf properly. They killed it dead, but nobody cared because it was replaced by even better things

hard disagree that it's not relevant post-nerf, my build uses it to great effect and it is very good at preventing my death. sure it's only 10% resist but that on top of everything else is pretty fuckin substantial

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

life_source posted:

(Eramis doesn't betray the Witness at the last second)

give it time. the traveler not leaving shook the gently caress out of her.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

arsenicCatnip posted:

final mission was zzz but the cutscene ruled. Who the gently caress were those guys behind Zavala though

Generic Guardians using D1 armor. they also showed up during the CoO intro

https://twitter.com/DavidSavastano/status/1625641901037682690?s=20

https://twitter.com/DavidSavastano/status/1625643324320120834?s=20

i desperately want those armors to be in-game though, like holy poo poo. please give me those titan arms, i need them

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Pirate Jet posted:

Joe specifically said they’d be dialing back on craftable weapons from “long-term sources.” Presumably that means anything they plan to keep in the game permanently as opposed to seasonal weapons. So if raid weapons are all staying craftable that leaves… just weapons you get from Neomuna? I don’t think Come to Pass and Pointed Inquiry are about to shred up the meta any time soon so I guess it’s not much of a loss?

I think it's in reference to World patterns (Palmyra-B, Syncopation, Ragnhild-D, etc) - they're primarily stepping stones on the way to weapons that are stronger or better themed, but random drops do the exact same job with less investment.

Other things he could be talking about :
  • Expansion patterns in general (because tbh most of the Witch Queen patterns just kinda... suck)
  • Expansion Activity patterns (see: Wellspring)
  • Dungeon patterns (of what few there are)

I'm fairly certain that the Seasonal pattern offerings aren't going anywhere since Seasonal content gets scrapped at the end of every year and therefore don't really fall under the "long-term" category.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

to be fair whatever bullshit he's wearing on his head kinda sorta looks like a pudgy hand with stubby fingers but that doesn't really say anything about his cape or shoulders or arm or etc

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Failson posted:

Humans. Apparently the only sentient race in the universe that doesn't get physically larger the more powerful they get.

how do you explain titans, the most powerful class

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

kept an eye out during the vidoc's buildcrafting segment, this is what i was able to pull

lots of interesting details, probably my favorite is that holster mods are being moved to elements rather than weapon families

Kith fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 16, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RBX posted:

If there's a kinetic surge I'm gonna be happy.

I have good news for you, my friend:

Right next to Void Weapon Surge are a bunch of similar looking three-dot-with-weapon-damage-type mods and one of them has the Kinetic icon.

Oxyclean posted:

e2: What's the very first holster icon before all the element ones? Looks like a yin-yang, guessing it might be "balanced" - lower energy cost, lower effect, applies to all?

My guess is Harmonic (weapon matching your subclass element), given that Harmonic Siphon is a thing on Helmets right now.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i remember when loader mods were elementally coded and that was extremely :shepicide:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Panderfringe posted:

I don't even know why they pushed so hard for that system, that it took this long for them to abandon it years after it was shown to be garbage.

the reason it was there in the first place is because they were terrified of making the system TOO good and TOO accessible, otherwise players' Content Engagement would drop because they wouldn't have to grind as much to get all of the things that they wanted/needed. then it took forever to get rid of because destiny 2 is barely held together in a lot of ways and changing underlying systems often has unforeseeable and irrational consequences (a great example is the removal of blue engrams breaking Triumphs).

thankfully the Luke Smith Era Mindset* of Maximizing Content Engagement Through Grinding has been withering and dying for the past few years and god willing will be completely dead by the Final Shape

*regardless of if these ideas were actually the brainchildren of Luke Smith, they were enforced under his leadership and are associated with the time he was in charge

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's fairly clear that TFS marks the end of active content development for the Destiny 2 title.

you keep saying this despite constantly being given evidence to the contrary and i'm not sure why

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i hope that LW doesn't get crafting patterns because i don't care in the least about any of its guns

its origin trait would have to be loving incredible to get my attention

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Panderfringe posted:

i like the starry accents and sleek shapes of the guns.

oh they're gorgeous for sure, but their archetypes do nothing for me. the only one i MIGHT be interested in is Supremacy since it'd make a better boss beatstick than Succession, but if Praedyth's Revenge gets a pattern, then Supremacy's only hope of competing is a suite of absolutely incredible perks capable of outperforming Rewind Rounds and i just don't see that happening

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lexorin posted:

Berserk Titans can now RP as The Maxx

wtf i love strand now

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Failson posted:

have to lol that the critical moment was still needlessly vague. Did Rasputin succeed in blowing up the warsats? Did the Traveler do it?

The entire plan was getting Rasputin admin access so he could successfully sudo rm -rf /* the Warsats (and himself), yes. The Traveler didn't do anything but move out of the Last City.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

champions are good actually because idiot pubbies never having the proper loadout to deal with them makes you feel like The Protagonist

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

But then I have to watch this loving idiot with his unstoppable hc mod on, not use an hc on the unstoppable ogre.
I can't do anything about it because I'm covering barrier and overload.
The 3rd guy is just there for the vibes.

thats the price you pay for being goku: your friends are krillin and yamcha

CottonWolf posted:

I hate unstoppables, because I really don’t like using handcannons. Maybe they’ll get a better weapon type mod next season.

i have good news for you: arc, solar, stasis, and strand will be able to deal with unstoppables just because

theres a very good chance you'll never need an unstoppable weapon mod again

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PathAsc posted:

Yeah the champ counter changes are all fine and well, y'know, if bungie unfucks how buggy the mobs are in the first place. Totally cool to have this dumbass tacked-on system still around all these years later. Absolutely thrilling content. I joke a lot about dunking balls and standing on plates but Champs are still dumb and will continue to be unless the core issue is fixed.

yeah champions suck bad tbh. in most content you just super/heavy them, except in a handful of high-level exceptions where you are 100% required to have their counter handy or you lose. neither of these are interesting or good designs.

you know what are interesting and good enemies? lightbearer hive. scourge of the past berserkers. gently caress, even scorn captains and taken vandals. enemies that force you to react to their behavior patterns instead of just smashing them to bypass their mechanics or forcing you into a binary where either you win or you don't based on your loadout

Lib and let die posted:

I don't even know what it takes to get the mod effects to proc. I've got overload on my arms, but when I ADS with an SMG or AR, I don't get the overload round.

If I full auto hipfire I get it, though!

have you considered reading the tooltips to discover this information

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

like listen i know Tooltip Guy is a fucker and all but you should at least check

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lib and let die posted:

I was hoping a barrier mod for bows would combine with le monarque for an all-in-one overload/barrier killer but that'd be too fun for the player I guess

n. it's actually a code limitation but yeah you can't double up on champ counters

HOWEVER

if you have a counter mod that MATCHES the native counter of the exotic, the secondary benefits of the mod work just fine (for example Overload mods typically come w/ extra damage vs stunned champions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SUNKOS posted:

I've fallen way behind in D2 and haven't played for a long time. I know they changed seasons to last for a year rather than just the season itself to reduce FOMO but all the seasonal stuff from Witch Queen until Lightfall is going to go away, isn't it? The pirate activity thing and other stuff? I was wondering if anyone knows what will happen to seasonal exotics from quests and such? Will they be added to the tower kiosk for purchase with materials like older seasonal quest exotics (e.g. Bastion from the Saint XIV season quest thingy) were, or will they be going away forever? I can't remember if they did that with any of the exotics from the Beyond Light seasons?

If there's some exotic weapons/gear that's going to go away permanently when Lightfall launches, does anyone have recommendations for particular weapons to try and complete the quests for before Lightfall drops?

seasonal activities/playlists are mostly getting dumpstered, some battlegrounds levels are getting put into the vanguard ops playlist and Exotic Missions (vox obscura, seraph shield, etc) are getting put into a rotator

seasonal exotics and ritual weapons go into the kiosk

seasonal exotic catalysts get dropped randomly

i wrote a list of seasonal patterns that people appear to think is worth paying attention to

Kith posted:

my favorite patterns from the past seasons have been

• Risen: Piece of Mind (Kinetic Rapid Fire Pulse Rifle)
  • Risen: Explosive Personality (Solar Wave Grenade Launcher)
  • Risen: Under Your Skin (Void Precision Bow)
  • Haunted: Hollow Denial (Void Trace Rifle)
  • Haunted: Drang (Baroque) (Solar Adaptive Sidearm)
  • Haunted: CALUS Mini-Tool (Solar Lightweight SMG)
  • Plunder: Brigand's Law (Arc Rapid Fire Sidearm)
  • Seraph: Disparity (Stasis Aggressive Pulse Rifle)
  • Seraph: Path of Least Resistance (Arc Trace Rifle)
  • Seraph: Fire and Forget (Stasis Aggressive Linear Fusion)
  • Seraph: IKELOS_SMG_V1.0.3 (Arc Aggressive SMG)
  • Seraph: IKELOS_SG_V1.0.3 (Solar Rapid Fire Shotgun)

it's unlikely that they're going away forever but the current easy acquisition is probably not returning

Kith fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 17, 2023