Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Let's give it up for the Leviathan for getting vaulted Twice now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
In-game LFG coming at the same time as crota's end.. sounds like the timeline trying to correct itself

Pirate Jet posted:

Such a bitch move to have Horror’s Least only available in Nightfalls for 10 days and then vault it.

Wasn't it available for three seasons in a row? And won't you be able to Legacy focus it next season?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

Okay, so my bad, it was introduced in Haunted not Plunder. But the first week it was available it was only up for two days and then Bungie pulled it and replaced it with Mindbender’s because there was some bug with it (I think it wasn’t dropping with alternate perk combos in columns three and four.) Then it had a single week each in Plunder and Seraph and now it’s going away, and you can legacy focus it, but not the adept version.

Yeah it got done dirty in Plunder

Horror's Least was around in Haunted (Corrupted week, nice and easy) and this season (Scarlet Keep, kind of annoying). In Plunder, Mindbender was actually bugged in its debut week, and they swapped it TO Horror's Least, during Lightblade Week :barf:

Even sillier is that Silicon Neuroma was the Double Drop Gun two seasons in a row (Haunted & Plunder). Then, even though Mindbender was around for TWO weeks in Plunder, it was the Double Drop Gun for Seraph Season

The rotation schedule makes sense, but it sucks a fat hog if you're like... unable to play in the 1x week that has the gun you want. I'm glad they're adding the New Currency(tm) next season that will allow you to 'grind' for any Adept, especially during Double Drop Week, and just log on to claim the desired gun during its featured week

Not perfect, or even 'good' really, but a huge improvement over the Blink And Miss It system

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
EDIT: They directly hosed with the weekly rotation. The final week should have been Double Nightfall Rewards (conveniently during Wendigo Week) but it has been bumped forward to Next Week, when we'll have double DFA instead :negative:

Presumably so they could have the final week be Double CruGamVan Rep

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DancingShade posted:

My auto loading chill chip riptide is very precious to me. Shame it won't get used much next in lightfall with the strand guns going in the kinetic slot.

Do we know anything yet about what strand weapons will have to offer?

Stasis weapons seem like they're going right in the toilet, with the changes to kinetic weapon damage...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's hard for lightfall hype to match witch queen hype because the 5.9 month season directly before it was funneling the storyline right into Savathun, who is also a character we'd been aware of and connected to for years and years, and the concept of "go into the throne world to topple the hive God" is something cool and good. 1 down, 2 to go, let's knock this butterfly bitch down a peg and then move on to xivu arath!!

Compare that to "a city you've never heard of is harboring an artifact you've never heard of and needs to be rescued from the least popular enemy faction in the franchise"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Destiny has like 14 Horde Modes. People just want 2010 back; they don't actually want Horde Mode

(horde modes suck due to our modern high tolerance for seratonin & dopamine)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Maybe I'm just not hyped for NeoGeo City because I know I'll haaaaate it by the end of the campaign and strand epilogue quests

Go fetch 150 Scorn Helmets and do 5 Heroic Public Events

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ponzicar posted:

If you've convinced yourself you're tired of the expansion before it's even released, maybe it's time to take a break? You'll have an entire year before any fomo kicks in.

What? No. The planetary grinds are not a Me Problem, it's just their design template

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dredgen Kilroy was here

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Still curious if Final Shape will have four $10 seasons in its aftermath because the great big plot beats always happen during the annual expo, and it might be weird for the story to end 10 months after the final shape in a match made 6 man activity to control plates

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ponzicar posted:

You're inventing a quest and getting mad at it.

Nope. Sorry to be confusing you like this, I'll try explaining again

Shadowkeep, Beyond Light, and Witch Queen all had a tedious list of post-campaign things to do on their new planets to pad out the gameplay hours, and by the end of them most players were mighty sick of the new planets, even if they were still loving destiny! It was such a universal opinion that they even had to tone down some of the requirements, often pretty significantly

You might hear players say things like, "the stasis unlocks were a nightmare!" or "I still don't have the exotic glaive" which are relating to the thing I'm talking about.

So NeoPets Island might be a cool new planet, but odds are good that by the end of the post campaign, most players will be ready to say goodbye to it.

I hope that makes more sense!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Another thing about Dungeons is that they were all designed to be easily and flawlessly cleared by one single player. Being the second or third player on a fire team will just make it easier! Nothing to worry about at all as far as being a deadweight dungeon gamer

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Paracelsus posted:

Corrupted GM is kicking my rear end. It doesn't help that the vast majority of lfg teams want to no-mic it.

It's a bitch of a GM because it's either REALLY easy (knowing how to do the elevator, ogre twins, and one-phase boss) or it's some of the hardest content in the entire game.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They said what they needed to about Gambit by not mentioning it. "no longer asking players to earn all three of the ritual pursuit ornaments in seasonal challenges, and allowing players to earn more new rewards and complete more of their weekly challenges by playing content of their choice"

Also I hope everyone picked up on the hint here

- Seasons leave players feeling like there's not enough left to do
- "One more Strike or Map won't solve this"
- Final Shape, the end of the saga, will focus on core rituals and pursuits

Also they sadly dropped the 'D1' descriptor from their Reprised Raid discussions. They must not want people to be bummed that it's Crota, this far in advance

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

CottonWolf posted:

They’re going to kill it, aren’t they?

I don't think they'll remove it from the game in Year 6, but I would not expect any new maps ever again.

I can't remember - did they follow through or scrap their plan to add the enemy sub-variants each season? As in, sometimes Hive would mean Shriekers but other times it would mean Knights or whatever

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

Someone reminded me of Pleasure Gardens encounter the other day and I'm much less excited for the idea of Leviathan returning.

Why would that mean it's Crota. Crota is a D1 raid.

Gambit is much better without the tangled shore map tbh.

Oh god wait, I think the gambit brain poisoning has taken root because I'm realizing that past the jokes, I actually might not mind seeing it again.

Sorry, I phrased that badly. It's known to be Crota since they previously made it clear that it was a Reprised D1 Raid, and it can't be WotM, leaving only Crota

And nobody is excited for it to be Crota so they're being a little more vague in their mentions of Reprised Raid for the time being, to cut down on the 'Aw it's Crota? gently caress" bitching until closer to Season 22

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Any bug in the game is proof of several, larger bugs that were caught & fixed so when I see a bug I simply tip my trilby and offer a "good show, ol' boys" to no one in particular

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

510rems posted:

"fewer total weapons will be craftable" is probably my biggest nightmare scenario except for something truly and completely deranged like mandatory pvp.

i think having more weapons exclusive to random drops and the ability to get enhanced perks for them is really good, but gutting the crafting system to do it just feels bad to me.

Yeah this was part of their underlying tone of 'We are setting up Destiny 2 to be self-sufficient and not require new expansions'. Crafting has got to be paired down, dramatically

I wonder where they draw the line though. Will they change the underlying concept/rules of what guns are craftable? Every single Seasonal Activity or Raid Gun introduced in Year 5 is craftable. Will they change it so that Only Some But Not All of each seasonal activity or raid weapon will be craftable? Imagine if King's Fall had launched and only Smite of Merain and Zaoli's were craftable. Or if Path of Least Resistance was craftable but the other 5 seraph guns were RNG exclusive. Or do they mean Seasonal Activity will only have 4 guns in the future, rather than 6, but they will all be craftable?!

For being a great big dump of words, it certainly raised as many questions as it answered!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
In my opinion they have totally separated the Pve and pvp balancing. Their patch notes and previews will specifically say things like "no change to PvE damage" and perks already function completely differently against guardians compared to Pve combatants

... It's just that they want some abilities to be better in pvp than Pve, or vice versa

Dawnblade ate poo poo in Pve because they want it to be bad in Pve

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't think they'll sell weapons & armor in the eververse, but I do think that eventually the $10 Season Pass will stop being 'New Content' and will start being a bundle of in-game currencies, such as these keys

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Luckily, passive cooldown is simply not how you get your Abilities in PvE so we will be spamming abilities as much as ever, outside of Crucible

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Legendary modifier? Or Legend Difficulty? Huge difference, no joke

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The patented Bungie Double Nerf(tm) is annoying

They're great at coming up with two balance solutions, either of which would be viable, and doing 'em both

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Whoa let's not kid ourselves here. Protective Light got nerfed to and through the ground and has not been relevant in any way since that time

It's just that it was also made unnecessary, because of void 3.0, elemental well buffs, and resilience changes

Like it's a bad example of bungie doing a nerf properly. They killed it dead, but nobody cared because it was replaced by even better things

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Eramis was there for like 5 seconds and then ran off when she took one Bonk Hammer... Cmon now, lemme put the poor girl out of her misery

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Correct. You can knock out all 4 catalysts in one go.

Do you also get all four Hunter's Trace upgrades to the gun? The huge upgrades to its base stats and the exotic perk?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think Resilience will be as (more?) important than ever when T10 drops from 40% to 30%, given that it's only one of the levers bungie is pulling to make PvE more challenging. I think we can expect the Damage Resist Mods on our chest pieces to do less, as well, given that we got those 5% mods this season instead of the usual 15%.

Titans actually have it best, since Resilience (the one useful class stat) actually gives them a faster class ability cooldown, although passive cooldown isn't really relevant to PvE where your ability uptime comes from kills, perks, mods, etc

----(Disclaimer for remainder of post - it's a game and everyone should run what they think is fun even if the Numbers say otherwise. Math is for dorks and only relevant if you're trying to make a really objectively strong build for the sake of it)-----

The reason why Protective Light is out of favor is that it asks so much (forcing a CwL build & taking over 2 precious mod slots) while providing so little (an additional ~4.5% of damage reduction for six seconds while at critical health).

Damage reduction is multiplicative. A 40% and a 25% and a 10% does not give you 75% damage reduction.

Let's say you've got tier 10 Res and a pair of damage resist mods giving you 0.6 x 0.75 = 0.45. Subtract that from 1 and you've got 55% damage resistance

Throw in Protective Light to the above for 0.6 x 0.75 x 0.9 = 0.405, or 59.%.

Upon reaching critical health, you have six to ten seconds in which your 55% damage resistance increases to 59.5%.

No surprise it's extinct in the wild :smith: Especially with mod slots providing so many larger benefits, and the fact that a build is downright hobbled by devoting two slots to Protective Light. Personally I think it was a huge mistake to nerf it from 50% to 10%. I think 25% would have been a fair balance. But, they were pushing Void Overshields and Elemental Wells really hard in Season 16 and so they had to go scorched earth on it, I guess

-----(end of boring Math and minmax chat - you should absolutely use Protective Light if it's fun and you like it and you feel Strong when you use it)------

Also, builds are getting absolutely switched the heck UP next season so who knows what new mods will be king

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sort of a weird plot beat that Rasputin was only hostile because he was programmed to speak Russian

And teaching him American English made him civil and kind?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The tricky thing is that Annual Expansions are developed alongside that year's seasons, which makes for some awkward stuff like never revisiting throne world, barely seeing any lucent hive etc. The season team literally doesn't have the annual expansion's assets to work with

Imaru is still in the throne world, right? The patrol zones are "live" spaces that are typically current in terms of storyline, and he's there barking out orders still

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man it always feels like a Palpatine Returned moment even as a veteran player, because every new expansion seems to start with a 'here's a major event that just happened off screen, right before you got here' and then it dumps you into some new plotlines outta left field

Like even the intro to Witch Queen was sorta weird, if I recall. Even if you did the exorcism mission RIGHT before hand

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

I'm glad the blog post seemed to confirm crafted raid weapons aren't going anywhere.

Oh yeah, I missed that at first

"Raid Adept weapon enhancing

We want to expand the enhanced trait perk capabilities of crafted weapons over to other weapons without increasing the amount of Deepsight you need to acquire.

To do this, we'll be introducing a new weapon enhancing feature to a very limited number of new weapons. The first weapons to obtain this enhancement capability will be the Adept weapons acquired from the Master difficulty Lightfall raid (the non-Adept base raid weapons will remain crafted)."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

arsenicCatnip posted:

(god I wish people would actually learn DSC instead of just trying to farm it like brainlets)

... what? What does this mean?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

Joe specifically said they’d be dialing back on craftable weapons from “long-term sources.” Presumably that means anything they plan to keep in the game permanently as opposed to seasonal weapons. So if raid weapons are all staying craftable that leaves… just weapons you get from Neomuna? I don’t think Come to Pass and Pointed Inquiry are about to shred up the meta any time soon so I guess it’s not much of a loss?

Anything can become a long-term source if they want it to be. I'm imagining the post-Final Shape Destiny 2 to be a revolving door of old content. Tune in for Season 29 when it's the Season of the Deep weapons! Finally get your godroll before they rotate out for the Season of the Defiant weapons in Season 30!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hackan Slash posted:

I wonder when they'll retrofit the new raid adept system (which is amazing imo) onto the other raids with master. Fatebringer/Found Verdict/Midha/Submission will be all over the crucible since those weapon types really care about adept mods.

They are not committed to doing this on any other weapon, period. It's apparently quite difficult on the technical side of things and so they want us to be open to the possibility that this is going to be unique to Lightfall's master raid adepts.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Don't forget that higher FoV apparently moves the reticle away from the point of impact for some guns (Crimson!) and has a weird influence on sniper rifle ADS behavior...

All else equal, higher FoV is good, but it does some weird stuff in a few cases

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Failson posted:

I have an incredibly stupid, old question that's been bothering me for a while:

What actually was the Taken Meatball?

I know it said "Taken Servitor" but why was it all fleshy?

Also I could have sworn that a voiceover said the Meatball was Riven? I don't think I ever replayed the Forsaken campaign, so I don't recall.

Taken enemies are an inversion of their natural form, and Servitors are Machines That Provide Sustenance

So I guess a Taken Servitor would be a ... meaty alive thing that consumes food?

They're also notably not actually called 'Taken Servitor'. They're either named, or they just go by their species name which is apparently "Chimera" (suggesting they're made of multiple monster parts rather than sourced from one thing)

I don't think we have a good clean answer but it's worth noting that their initial appearances are related to Uldren, who was a real Eliksneeaboo. Specifically during the chapter of his life that the Deep was trying to commune with him, and Savathun was trying to blow him off course. It's no surprise that this is where taken servitors would start popping up.

Variks knew that Prime Servitors created ether, so he wondered if dark ether came from a hypothetical 'Taken Prime Servitor'. He asked Fikrul if he (Fikrul) had betrayed Kaliks Prime to the Taken. Fikrul said he didn't need to, because the scorn don't rely on servitors for dark ether.

Dark ether came into existence when Riven granted Uldren's wish to revive the Eliksni Archon Fikrul, and Riven combined the Darkness in Uldren with the Ether in Fikrul to make Dark Ether which anybody and everybody can use these days to rez dead fallen as Scorn

No coincidence that the first 'Chimera' we see is a Riven creation as well (Voice of Riven), which 'Riven' (Savathun) used to manipulate Uldren and get him kicked out of Disciple Training. Xivu Arath also had a Chimera of her own (the final boss of Forsaken's Broken Courier plot), but it's unknown if she created it, or if it was a gift from Savathun.

The only other 'real' Chimera is a Blind Well boss. The Chimeras in Gambit and Reckoning are not real and were made by The Haul

Something noteworthy - Archons and Prime Servitors had a symbiotic relationship. The 'taken' version of a duo would be a Single Creature. Plus, it not only provides the fleshy bits (the archon), but also plays into the Chimera name. In general it's also not possible to 'Take' machines (Vex are living organic matter, remember) but equipment such as a gun or shield can be 'taken' along with its wielder. Best guess is that any Chimera is a taken Archon & Prime Servitor duo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hmm I remember Forsaken Era was kinda clunky with some mods being multiple Weapon Types (small arms loader, precision targeting) but some mods were Ammo Types (heavy ammo finder, special ammo scavenger)

Some parts of this feel like change for the sake of change but fingers are crossed

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, how often do you need to put armor back into the vault? With the new system you're probably not going to be carrying multiple armor sets besides the extra exotics and pieces so you can swap exotics around. Loadout will still handle all the mod swapping and do it faster then DIM could, in activity too.

Granted, you'll probably still be using DIM for gun management because there's no way the loadout system is going to ever make that not a nightmare.

Weapons are part of a Loadout, right? Won't it cause issues if one or more of my weapon slots is full and I try to use Loadout, even if my armor slots are empty?

Of course I can just stop holding the iPhone wrong keep all my slots empty and simply end each play session with a trip to the tower to deposit my loots into the vault, but this is like... borderline comical to me :laugh: Even the DIM guy, a hobbyist, knew it would be an issue if builds could only Withdraw and not Deposit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I remember a hot hot rumor that mods had elemental affinity because of UI reasons. Like they didn't have a way to show all 69 mods and so they had to divide them 3 ways or something

No idea if it was even partially true but it sure was believable