Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
my friend and lapsed goon fishbulb drew this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

victrix posted:

I think from Beyond Light on was when their current narrative team was finally able to go clean up years of messy lore poo poo and decide on an actual plan for moving forward.

Not saying they wrapped up everything cleanly, or didn't do some hilarious retcons, but it is certainly far, far more coherent now.

Just in time for *checks notes* players who haven't been exposed to 8 years of varying levels of nonsense fragmented lore to jump in for the finale!

who will we provided therapy for in this years seasons?!

I've been working on my own schizophrenic lore deep dive and they've actually been laying the seeds for the Witness and what its trying to do since at least Forsaken

"You've no idea how fortunate you are to be my chosen. You hold the flesh of a god in your hands. You are mere steps away from our salvation. Only Light and Dark, together, can unlock my way back into your world."

Riven as 'Mara'

and there's a bunch of thematic stuff/recurrent motifs since even vanilla D1 that they're still hitting that's all coming together

like, if you take Uldren's thoughts from the 'Forsaken Prince' lorebook, and compare them to some of the poo poo Rhulk or the Witness says, or is in other lorebooks like unveiling/books of sorrow, or check out the completely overlooked Book of Unmaking/For Every Rose, A Thorn/Nothing Ends trilogy, you realize that Uldren was on the path to becoming a Disciple of the Witness, but he biffed it.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 11, 2023

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

let's see, we've got:

vex
hive/taken
taken
vex
fallen
scorn/taken

if you throw in dungeons we've got

taken
hive
taken
fallen
cabal
vex

so yeah let's get some more taken in here.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If Witch Queen is D2's Taken King, that would make Lightfall D2's Rise of Iron?

shadowkeep was D2's RoI

then the original plan, BL would have been D3, witch queen would've been taken king the third, and now lightfall loops back around to being RoI again

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

RocketRaygun posted:

It wasnt so much that Uldren biffed it, but he was completely manipulated by Savathun. Perhaps he was on that path and Savathun hosed it up intentionally as a means of weakening the Witness!

yeah I had that thought. Uldren was supposed to let go of his attachments, his 'chains' and thus become Free, but Riven gave him the image of Mara to focus on, and she was working with/for Sav, and then the big meatball ate him.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

RBX posted:

Said gently caress it today and finally got it done. Still my favorite dungeon. Did Pit solo before, not flawless because the totem encounter killed me. Grasp is such a slog, not looking forward to it, saving it for last. Duality is doable and that Spire final boss might be a problem. Maybe will cook up a Grand Overture build for that.

important with Grasp is that getting 10 treasures refills your abilities- lets you use them for faster clears or for an emergency button.

congrats and good luck

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Alright I finished up my big rear end lore theorizing/dump post. If I end up being right awesome, if not please forget I did this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyLore/comments/110xjt1/the_witness_witnessed/

tl;dr the witness is trying to merge itself with the fabric of reality, namely the Darkness. it does this not to destroy the universe, but to un-make it back to pre-creation ps. witness wrote unveiling

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I guess I don't really see what's so great about the hive guardians.

They are the same as champs- either it is low difficulty and you blast through them, or it is high difficulty and they one shot you. Like, their 'supers' and other abilities are carried by the presentation- you go 'oh wow its our abilities'! But they don't actually do anything unique. A hive hunter throwing flaming knives is functionally the same as like, any enemy shooting any attack that does an aoe. A hive knight throwing a suppressor- well there are other enemy abilities that gently caress with your movement/abilities/sight (people hate those) but the danger is dependent on difficulty, just like any other grenade or ability.

The only truly unique thing about them is the ghosts, so you have to get into melee range to finish them. That's it.

And the only thing about champs is that they can heal themselves, and have a built in stagger mechanic, which bungie tied to specific mods/weapons. If they couldn't heal, so you never got into a 'no win' scenario, but were still difficult, there'd be no problem. If the new ability stun system had been from the start instead of the restrictive mods, again no problem.

A powerful enemy you can stagger by doing the right thing is fine design- its that the 'right thing' was poorly designed.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Kith posted:

lightbearer hive have more going for them than "i am a normal enemy except now i'm a rampaging wad of hitpoints and damage" or "i am a normal enemy except i'm invulnerable sometimes" or "i am a normal enemy except i jump around a lot and heal rapidly"

all of the lightbearer hive have unique grenades, attacks, AI patterns, and do not require any specific loadout to overcome. they also force you to react in a variety of ways instead of just one, and are overall more interactive because there's just more to them instead of "two categories of special dudes per race that largely act the same between races"

I just fundamentally don't agree.

They don't have unique AI, they just dodge around until they decide to shoot/use ability, same as anything else. Unstoppables are probably the most unique AI in Destiny, in that they just go forward and forget all else.

Their supers are just "damage". Everything is 'damage'. There's zero difference to a blade barrage vs an ogre eye beam or whatever.

Their abilities, well the only kind of unique one is suppressor grenade. But even that's got similar ones in Chieftan totems, or wizard poison, or taken captain darkness blasts, etc.

They are, essentially, normal enemies with more HP. Like the hunter's special thing is the dodge... so "I am a normal enemy, except I jump around a lot, and if you don't kill me to right way I will come back at full health."

Or the knight. "I am a normal enemy, except sometimes I put up a barrier (go invuln) ps regular knights have a barrier too. If I go berserk (super) you must hide, same as any other enemy with a strong attack".

Or the wizard... they're like, wizard+. The taken are more unique compared to their regular versions. SIVA Fallen were more of a twist than Hive Wizards. That a fallen captain can be holding swords, lord of wolves or a scorch cannon offers more variety than the wizards have over regular wizards. If it wasn't for the number bump they got, they'd be even easier than regular wizards because they don't have the smoke.

You don't interact with them any differently, you shoot them and take cover from their attacks. Champs are not great, don't get me wrong. But again, the issue is the HP regen, so you can't whittle them down, and that the mechanics was tied to mods/guns, rather than being a skill thing.

Like the risen hive are either- when they are attacking, you hide. Shoot them when they aren't attacking. Avoid the grenades.

They only actual mechanical twist they have is having to finish off the ghost. Everything else is just variations of weapon or ability, which all enemies have.

Champs are either- when they are attacking, you hide. Shoot them when they aren't, and get the stun.

Berserkers from Scourge were actually unique because you had to have two people.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 18, 2023

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Rhulk is such a comic book villain and it's why Vow is the best raid.

My headcanon is Rhulk is in that pyramid because the Witness got tired of his constant monologuing and gave it to him as a playground just to keep him busy.

witness set rhulk up as savathuns baby sitter because no matter who wins, it'll be hilarious to watch

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

not really feeling these changes tbh

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

While I agree with the sentiment I want to point out that giving buffs to certain subclasses and archetypes is not the same as nerfing others. It is still not good, and a weird rear end design choice, but a bit misleading to refer to it as a nerf. It's also not even close to match game, I dunno why everyone keeps conflating the two.

I understand what they were going for: hey, we've added deltas and made enemies harder to kill and stagger so the game is more challenging! To help you out we're giving big buffs to a load of archetypes from the seasonal artifact, plus some for each activity, and we'll buff some rotating subclasses! Isn't that helpful? We can make it more challenging but you can get an advantage building into the rotations!

Again I get it, again I don't see this as the most sensible choice in the world, but until we get a chance to play it (in like six days) I'm not gonna assume the sky is falling. Unless we play it and it really super sucks. Then yeah, I'll bitch about it too.

remember when tractor cannon buffed void damage far more than it did the other types, so everyone only ever ran void because why wouldn't you?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Mismatched weapon damage to shields doing 50% isn't Match Game. Not even close. If Match Game meant every weapon did 50% damage to mismatched shields no one would have complained about match game. No one talks about Gambit having match game, cause it doesn't.

With roughly six weapon archetypes for the season plus activity archetypes you're gonna find it hard to use weapons (combined with the element boosts) that don't cover the ground you want.

Also everyone is assuming all enemies are getting 25% extra health I guess? I don't remember reading anywhere that they specified that number. Did I miss something or is everything just assuming the worst?

1) difficulty makes a difference. Even now you can brute force your way through matchgame on lower difficulties- but on higher difficulties you have to engage with either matching elements or arbalest (or a few other damage sources that ignore matchgame, like le monarque's poison)

So sure on patrol/gambit/low level strikes and such 50% is not a big deal. But as you climb the difficulty ladder it increasingly becomes necessary to figure it out. And that's where the problem is- because previously matchgame was only on certain activities, on certain days. Now sure, you don't have the full strength, but it's everywhere.

It also feels bad and combines poorly with how bungie's increasingly incentivizing monochromatic builds. Like sure there's a trade-off: do I want to have shield coverage, or make my mods optimal? but it feels bad kind of tradeoff, is all

(kind of like airborne effectiveness- wow a new stat to spec for! tradeoffs in buildcrafting! oops it feels terrible to actually play)

2) Yeah figuring out a loadout probably won't be a big deal, honestly- same as it is now. Problem is bungie's messaging and community expectations. Bungie had been signaling they were moving away from that whole lock-and-key system, and people liked that.

But now we're finding out they just changed the lock, and we've got a new key ring to learn. So there's backlash.

3) No, they didn't give a specific number. BUT they did specify that the increased health is there to counter-act the increased damage from surges/overcharged. So it's pretty reasonable to think that they will be in the same ballpark. At least we can also probably be pretty safe to assume its fairly substantial, rather than just like a single digit bump.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 23, 2023

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

Maybe a stupid question but if I were to reinstall Destiny 2 on my PS5 and connect my account to Bungie, same as my Steam account where I have all my bought Destiny expansions, I will still have to repurchase everything again for the PS5, right?

yes.

you will be able to use gear though- ie. you get an exotic from paid content on pc, you can use it on console

but if you want to access the activities, you need to rebuy.

I forget how stasis works.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

sure okay posted:

I'll forgive ghosts for being dumb and I'm sure a ghost somewhere at some point tried to revive a cat to no avail.

What I don't understand is why the Traveler let Hive be revived. I played the whole Witch Queen and still don't fully understand that

1) The Traveler offers unconditional forgiveness. This is naive and can backfire, but its got good intentions.

2) The Traveler doesn't interfere with choice and free will. The Ghosts can choose to make bad decisions (and their Risen can as well) and the Traveler just shakes their head and tsks but doesn't stop them.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

I want them to leave some loose ends open. Like, Clarity and poo poo. Keep that open for now, make it its own thing. I wouldn't be opposed to, after TFS, seasons being a bit more anthology-ish for a bit. Give us a season of self contained story, about something now related to the ongoing big story book.

Clarity was Clovis' name for the Darkness, that's all

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Clarity Control then, the big rear end statue that isn't a statue that we haven't been told much about but a lot has been alluded to, could be a possibly neat story hook.

We don't know exactly what it's meant to represent yet, but it's linked to the Witness

quote:

While working on this persistent "tower" glitch in the exos' sleep-cycle
dreams, I have been poring over neural telemetry from site employees
and my own exos, searching for preconscious influences on their
behavior—whispers in the dark.

https://www.destinypedia.com/Mysterious_Logbook

After exposing Vex Radiolaria to 'Clarity'/Darkness energy, it transforms into what Clovis calls 'alkahest'. This he used to stabilize the human mind in exo frames.

But it also causes them to start hearing 'whispers in the dark'.

Every time a veiled statue/clarity shows up, its in conjunction with pyramids or pyramid technology, and linked with 'whispers in the dark' or communing with the darkness. Thing is, bungie's been pretty clear lately, even in today's trailer, that whenever you speak to the darkness, it is one entity that whispers back- the Witness

So finding out what exactly the statue is supposed to represent is a plot hook, yeah, but its one linked to the Witness and not its own thing, is all I'm saying.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I thought this was happening at the exact same time as the darkness stuff which caused all the fuckery.

Ghosts were all created at the same time, during the Collapse, which is also when the Awoken entered their pocket dimension.

However, most Ghosts have not yet found their partner yet, and new risen/guardians are a trickle as the ghosts find them and pair off.

So it's Collapse -> Ghosts (awoken in pocket dimension) -> First risen -> Awoken return to realspace -> some Awoken (presumably including Zavala) continue on to Earth, others remain in the Reef -> Zavala dies -> His ghost finds him.

This takes place over centuries.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Kith posted:

Sort of! The book explains it better than I remember, I don't remember the actual mechanics of how the Awoken came about, I just remember Mara completely loving them over.

Kith posted:

The Awoken came from a colony ship driving through a Black Hole, although they were "coded" to act how they did because the human version of Mara Sov went through the Black Hole first.

Mara Sov is kind of a loving monster that caused theoretically infinite suffering in a paradise world because she wanted to be the prettiest.

You can read all about it in Marasenna!

sort of, kind of, not really

1) Marasenna is Mara's autobiography/bible. It's a narrative she's selling us. So when it has a chapter where Mara's captain/queen/mother figure calls her the most evil thing to ever exist, that's something Mara purposefully included- something she wants us to see. There's a whole lot of motives she could have for including it, but none are "because it's the truth and she values the truth".

2) Given the uncertainty of above, Mara's stated goal was about eventually coming back to realspace to help humanity, not to be the prettiest (and this has been born out by her actions ever since). And since it seems the Witness threatens all existence, including the Distributary, it in fact probably was the correct call.

3) Go give the book of unmaking/for every rose, a thorn a read. They're the key that puts everything else 'Darkness'/Witness into perspective. The Witness hates mortality and existing on the material plane, it thinks that's the cause of suffering, and it wants all its followers to become Ascendent and immortal, shuck their mortal bodies and live on ever higher and more fundamental planes of existence, while simultaneously destroying everything that doesn't- so that it can 'eat' their information and fold it into itself, to eventually become a singularity, which is also 'nothing'.

But anyway, that belief that living as bodiless transcendent beings forever is infinitely better than living mortal lives? That's the exact same thing the Witness believes.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 25, 2023

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

You know between this and having Best Character Calus on their side maybe I should cheer team Witness

enh it's not all great

quote:

As the old self falls away there will be only suffering.

I.II
None can sustain in the face absolution, yet evolution demands sacrifice.

I.III
Pain must be accepted as the new constant, or pain will be the all of you.

I.IV
As the white noise of your screams drowns the whispers, you will feel alone. You are alone.

I.V
Is this eternity or oblivion?

I.VI
You will see yourself—outside yourself—and you will long to embrace this new evolution—a beacon on the far end of lost hope.

I.VII
Yet, you will know—through the pain, through the fear—there is no longer a you that was, only what comes next, and all the pain to follow.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/ix-embrace

(Talking about becoming Ascendent)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Kith posted:

Though I have to ask, since it seems like you know: does the player character actually have access to the Lore Books, or are they there for the user? I always interpreted them to be separate from The Guardian's pool of knowledge because there's a lot of poo poo in there that it would be useful for other characters to know that they never act on.

answer is- it kind of depends, I think?

some are actual documents in-universe, that our guardian got access to in some way. (maybe Ikora has roped them in on her spy ring a little bit). Stuff that's formatted like letters or camera recordings, or stuff like unveiling where it's a message that Eris wrote down, that sort of thing. Like unveiling, truth to power and the books of sorrow are actual like, books that guardians share with each other. Marasenna's in this category, too.

Other stuff will depict things that happened, but in a third person narrative way. Stuff where it's like "Zavala did this, and felt that, etc. etc." These ones it's unclear if our guardian actually knows them. Maybe they know the broad strokes because someone told them.

There are a bunch, usually dealing with enemy stuff where I have no idea- like Rhulk's backstory, or the backstory of the Pit of Heresy. Maybe they wrote it down and we translated it? Or maybe they wanted to share. I dunno!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

All I can offer is my two experiences trying guided games, the closest thing to matchmade raids right now.

First time, I was solo and got paired with a group of five. It was their first time on this raid (Last Wish), they had zero knowledge, and pretty poor loadouts. I had never intended on being a sherpa but I gave it a solid try. We struggled on the first boss and got stuck on Shuro- can't imagine how vault/Riven/walk would go. Anyway I bailed, and got penalized iirc.

Second time I was in the group of five, and we picked up a random. They didn't have voice comms, and didn't respond to our messages. By their behaviour it was clear they had no idea what was going on, and either no capability to hear our instructions or desire to learn. Eventually we disbanded, and got penalized.

So yeah pure matchmaking doesn't work, I think, for harder content. If you say, 'well it can be an option, and if you don't want to matchmake you can stick with lfg', but that just means all the people who know what's up will be on lfg, and matchmaking will be a terrible experience, so why bother?

In-game lfg, with filters and a leader who can boot (and no penalties for leaving...) probably should be a thing though again I kind of think- you know what, it's probably not going to be as good as what discord allows for, so maybe it would actually be better use of bungie's time and resources to... not.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

RBX posted:

They could just explain the mechanics

don't be a baby

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

few, flawless king's fall done

what a ball buster that one was, cause it starts with a super long and slow section, but is also jumping (the ships) so there's still a lot of gently caress ups, then easy going until the dickwall which is the run killer, allllll the way near the end. Then sisters and oryx are pretty free, but jeez.

pro tip, you can spam sword swings into the walls and climb up, even with no ammo. This lets you basically skip most of it.

now to see if I can get flawless VoG and VoW done tomorrow

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

woo hoo flawless Vow done, that one is not bad at all.

basically just the jumping and exhibition

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

you know, the traveler being gone is weird

like you don't really notice it's not there, until you do notice, and then you're like 'woah'

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Patch notes are out, tons of good poo poo.

Note: Weapons that already have an existing anti-Champion behavior (i.e. an Artifact mod, an intrinsic anti-Champion capability, or the ability to apply another subclass keyword that stuns a Champion type) will not be granted the anti-barrier behavior from volatile rounds.

yeah that's consistent with previous behaviour, that an exotic w/ intrinsic anti-champ couldn't double up with the seasonal mods

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Traveler is not a gun, so much as an exotic trees rifle (Arborist)

I think the Psions love and follow Nezarec but I don't think Nezarec himself is a Psion. The Psions are a relatively new player in the Darkness Army and Nezarec has been around since forever

the psions had an old religion/cult that worshipped 'shared thought after death' or something along those lines, it was very Witnessey is what I mean. They got rid of it before being conquered by the fat cabals. The psion who was spread the Vox Obscura messages was trying to bring it back- one of Calus' aides was a worshipper, but so is one of Caiatl's. So it wouldn't surprise me if that religion worshipped the Witness/had ties to Nezarec, but they mostly outlawed it and the psions joining the Darkness army are actually rejoining

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Azubah posted:

I thought Nezerac was a guardian/risen?

Nez pre-dates the great ghost fart

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

First mission impressions:

-the tormenter actually jumpscared me, I had quickly glanced away and then turned back just in time to be grabbed

-the fight against it wasn't bad, it did some cool void and jumped around. Took two finishers though!

-riding a cabal droppod! wheeee!

-the neomunans cars? look like giant duracell batteries

mods have heavy focus on element now, like instead of "sniper rifle reloader" it's "arc weapon reloader"

what's the powerful cap? because not even done one mission yet and I'm already getting 1640 drops e; on legendary

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 28, 2023

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Woah the tower changed!

massive combine cabal/eliksni/awoken fleet where the traveler used to be

cabal/eliksni/awoken chilling around the tower including the main promenade

they remodeled the area near zavala- expanded it a bit and put a big tree in

.... but they removed the ace of spades memorial plaque

ada-1 is selling old shaders. right now she's got house of meyrin from black armory, bray innovation from warmind and new monarchy allegiance from warmind era-faction stuff

presumably this'll rotate, but awesome cause I didn't have the new monarchy one.

oh and DIM is already up and running

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 28, 2023

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

LionYeti posted:

I guess I didn't see it in the director view

there's a big blue icon to the right of the sludge transmat arrow

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

why did they do the same mistake as Europa where they put the one landing zone in a non combat area away from the actual zones

guarantee we're going to be running in and out of the typhon imperator (exact opposite the landing zone) a million times

except this one's maybe worse, because it's up on top of a giant cliff like the artifact's edge zone on nessus, so you gotta do a big drop before you can actually get going

e; all the zones look real cool. haven't done much exploring but v. pretty

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

mission 4: double tormenter in a tiny room, ow

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

oh, I was sad they took out the ace of spades plaque on the ground near zavala, but they did even better

now there's a whole Cayde-6 statue bust with a eulogies from several characters

and a rooster hanging around

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Meiteron posted:

This one did take me a couple tries but it's easier if you break the shoulderpads of only one at a time since the other one will stay slower if it's at full health. They're very dangerous up close but don't have a lot of answers for "run away screaming and crying to the other side of the room", I found.

oh I beat it with solar hunter doing what you said, yeah

also you gotta complete quicksilver storm's catalyst to turn it green, it didn't update automatically

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

tormenter lore thought: 99% sure they are beefy psions. once you see it it's very obvious. Also there's been more lore building up Nez, and a message (not sure if it was a random one) that connected Nez to psions

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Has it ever been established where, geographically, The Last City is relative to irl society?

south america, probably in the andes in Chile

this isn't like a 100% Ikora pointed to it on a map type thing, but there's been many many clues

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

New strike is great:

return to vaporwave Vex land!

taken, vex and some cabal

nice and short, with juuuust enough mechanics to be interesting

Nimbus is not their actual name Dara Danu

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

ok bungie you got me with this one-

after you beat the campaign you can unlock more transmat points for neomuna in the hall of heroes and liming harbor, so the two areas you'll be going to most often and the harbor was furthest from the original spawn, completely negating my earlier complaint.

well played, I guess