Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Let's give it up for the Leviathan for getting vaulted Twice now

It'll be back and then you'll be sorry. You'll all be sorry!

Also Strand looks fun as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Seraph has my favourite loots of the four seasons for sure. I love Haunted and Risen loots, but Seraph is definitely what I'd go for too.

If you have time to focus anything after Seraph then I'd grab the following from Haunted:
CALUS Mini-Tool
Tears of Contrition

And from Risen:
Piece of Mind
Explosive Personality (wave frame)

But that's my personal take. If you don't have the time or want, don't bother. Honestly I feel like after the first season of Light Fall I'm gonna be sharded most of the craftable guns because I only use like maybe two or three from each season at best. Seraph is the best for this imo because all of them appeal to me in terms of feel goodness.

Honestly in this game if you aren't using it, shard it. Set your own limit (number of kills, level, whatever) and if things don't qualify after a certain amount of seasons, nuke em. There's too much loot in this game to get bogged down in what *might* be good, later, maybe.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The main thing about Savathun and other major elements is I don't think they would want to handle that in a season that goes away. You kind of need the biggest plot points to happen in expansions which are (now) stable, because build up and stuff works in seasons, but then they disappear.

As a general rule I don't expect absolutely pivotal things to happen during seasonal stories. Setups, information, yeah sure. But essential information? Probably not. Eramis got unfrozen in Plunder, but that's a one sentence explanation for anyone who missed it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Horde mode, have four waves of increasingly complex adds, then on the fifth a boss. Start at 5 below your light level, and then add 5 for every boss. You will 100% not be able to take out enemies 20 above your light level, even the best players in the world are gonna go out just because of how damage/resist numbers work.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I'm actually surprised the traveller shell isn't covered in graffitti and gang tags.

IREN LORDS 4 LYFE

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Roctavian posted:

I've already decided it's just these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIfKzgltjIg

Unrelated to the story but goddamn they nailed the Guardian attitude very quickly. There is no cringe here, this is what everyone actually does.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Things being not as good as they were is not the same as things being useless. Res topping out at 30% is not as good as 40%, but it doesn't mean it's bad. I think there's a bit of overreacting to slight nerfs sometimes. Maybe.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Also at what point is it noticeable? Default FOV is 75 I believe, so is 90 too much? 80? 120? I dunno what high FOV is defined as to be honest.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The PsiOps and Heists going into the Strike playlists won't have champions, but there will be some entering as Nightfalls now, keeping the champs.

Also my top three highest levelled weapons are my Recurrent Impact at 38, Fire and Forget at 31 and Taipan at 30. Syncopation is the next nearest at 27, but almost everything else is under 20.

I also use DIM to randomise the weapons I use almost every time I play unless I specifically need champ weapons tho. I like swapping things up, and I only keep things I like using, and never hold on to things just because they *might* be meta in the future, so my vault is slim and guaranteed to be a weapon I like.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I liked champs as an idea, but when mods fell on archetypes I didn't fancy (The HC problem this season) it fell flat. But where it's going is good I think. Champs are gonna be a special enemy, and you'll be pretty much guaranteed to have a way to deal with them. They will probably become no different to dealing with a Servitor or Scorn shieldy thing. You see them and go "oh an Overload, grenade throw, headshot, move on".

Which I think is fine? Phalanxes, Servitors, etc all have ways you need to deal with them. Champions will be more of that, rather than the ultimate blockers. But also yes, more Hivebearers please. Tormentors sound cool.

Also hoping that with the buff to kinetic weapons and general energy weapon synergies that HCs might be okay in PvE this year? I'm hoping, not actually expecting tho.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

arsenicCatnip posted:

I like to imagine Drifter piggybacks off of those simulations, like stealing cable from your neighbor

Nah Drifter 100% is fine dragging your rear end to cordoned off areas that will get you legit killed. And we love him for it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Match Game is absolutely not the same as the new system lol

The new system is the same as what we've had in Gambit forever. Yeah, 50% damage with mismatched weapons is not amazing, but also surprisingly not that bad. At parity (Delta 0) you could shred matched shields in Gambit in a couple shots, and unmatched in a few more. It makes matching elements far more useful but does not make mismatched weapons useless like Match Game did.

The matching subclass thing is a thing they're trying, we'll see if it works out. They're clearly using Light Fall as a "gently caress and around and find out" period, and they're trying a tonne of new things. Some of these are gonna be great, some bad. But after the volume of statements that they need to change things up I'm glad they're trying stuff.

The power stuff is clumsy but I also understand. Separating things by soft-cap, powerful and pinnacle is gonna be useful for data collection while trying the new system more than anything I feel.

Surges seem... interesting? Strand and either Void or Solar weapons and abilities are getting a boost, which is neat, but using one of the two SURGE ELEMENTS(TM) will also net you +25% Kinetic damage. They really want us using kinetic weapons lol. I wonder if after the first season they're just gonna have 2 rotating subclasses, which would be a lot nicer than being forced to use one subclass for an entire season and have a single other option each week.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The stasis shields people found in the game were bugged, not actually meant to be stasis shields. They are introducing strand shields. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they're rolling out stasis and strand shields to a lot of stuff in the update.

As long as they don't have 3+ elements for shields in a strike/nightfall/whatever it'll be fine, because otherwise someone is gonna have to not BE SURGING if they want to match them. Which would be loving dumb. If they keep shields types to 2 then it's totally fine and there's no issues.

Edit: In the Vidoc they explicitly showed Strand shields.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hopefully they're gonna do more with Stasis (like give us more grenades and melees and poo poo) especially with verb interaction and weapons, like we have with the light subclasses.

Without some verb interaction most energy weapons (with the new kinetic buff) would fall into the "just for shields" territory, same as stasis. They've got a new perk for Void weapons to give Volatile (plus Repulsor Brace rules) so hoping they do some more with Stasis. They kind of need to.

I'm looking forward to hotswapping weapons to optimise shooties. Especially things like the Dares weapons which literally have Hot Swap. It seems like it'll be way more active and engaging. I just think basic Vanguard Ops playlist should be easy mode at +5 delta or something, throw everyone a bone.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Man at some point if stasis and strand are just going to have all the characteristics of Energy weapons, and enemies can now have Stasis and Strand Shields, what the hell are stasis and strand doing in the top slot??

Two reasons:
1) If they go in slot 2 then it's gonna be a hella crowded slot.
2) It feels like slot 1 is Darkness and slot 2 is Light, at this stage.
2b) Kinetic is clearly the third darkness subclass duh.

But realistically it's the first point, things get messy otherwise.

Edit: Also is it just me or is SURGIN just Acute Burn without the incoming damage penalty? Just keep the incoming damage penalty and there's a more balanced system lol. They just added extra Kinetic damage to Acute Burns and removed the penalty. Weird.

Edit 2: Oh I guess that's what Threats are now. They just split Acute Burns into two separate modifiers. Alright then. I'll refrain from tantrums until we find out what "extra health and harder to stagger" mean numerically. If they added an extra 5% health, eh whatever. If it's 25% then that's a lil silly.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 22, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Double post because the more I read into the post the more I feel this is a far lesser issue than thought.

To account for Surges and Overcharges they have increased enemy health and ability to be staggered. How much, we don't know. Could be 5%, could be 100%, no idea.

With the way Surges have been specified to work they increase the elemental damage of the SURGIN element. So if we're rolling Strand (all season) and Void then we're getting +25% damage to abilities of that element as well as weapons of that element.

It seems a little restrictive, until you add in Overcharged weapons. These explicitly do NOT stack with SURGIN. Overcharged weapons also give +25% damage. Kinetics receive the boost if your subclass is a SURGIN one. But that doesn't mean that you need to be SURGIN to get the Kinetic boost. This is because they have specified Overcharged weapons come from Artifact Champ weapons and activity selection.

Given we get roughly 6 artifact weapon archetypes each season (and I expect that to continue) then at least six archetypes are going to receive +25% damage increases, regardless of Kinetic or Energy and regardless of the element type. And again, this doesn't stack when you're SURGIN, so you're getting the boost from being a champ weapon OR from SUGARIN.

And then there's activity weapons. It could be one archetype, or two (as Dares has sometimes), so we're probably getting at least one additional archetype that gets a big boost.

Between all these as far as weapons go it will probably be difficult to not get a 25% buff to all weapon damage. The real pain is whether you get the boost to your ability damage based on whether your subclass is SARGIN or not.

And until we know how much health they're giving the enemies we don't know if it's even an issue.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RBX posted:

Overcomplicated for no reason.

I am not going to argue that at all lol

But as far as damage issues go, I don't see them coming up. You'd have to avoid activity weapons, seasonal archetypes and any weapons that match the acute burn SURGE which is gonna be pretty hard to do.

Why they made it this complicated I have no loving idea tho, because at the end of it the result is "if you use one of the three archetypes that also don't match one of two elements AND isn't kinetic then you miss out on a boost". Seems simpler to just... not have a boost to either damage or enemy health, but I guess we'll see.

Also note that the seasonal playlist has been specified to not use Overcharged weapons, so it *will* require matching the subclass type, which makes sense that they want the season to fully integrate with Strand.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

FART BOSS posted:

So are they changing the pinnacle grind or what? I ignored it this season entirely and didn’t really miss the added power since I’m casual and don’t really do raids or grand master.

I might interact with it more if it was actually guaranteed to give you something with a bigger number than you already have.

This season the pinnacle grind didn't even matter as they lowered the bar for entry to the powerful cap. I wouldn't be shocked if it's the same next season. I have no idea what the pinnacle cap is meant to even do at this point outside of maybe day one raids.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Seems kinda weird to have their seasonal shuffles in the dps charts (next season's Linear Nerf, Machine Gun Buff) but then also have a seasonal Weapon That Does 25% More Damage

Like what if Linears are +25% next season

Or what if it's Swords and that makes MVoG and M KF a nightmare

Yeah, I got no idea. Like I said, I am assuming they're just trying a bunch of poo poo to see what works and what doesn't, and wouldn't surprise me if they turn things off and on over the course of this year's seasons to tune things.

The post mentioned that Nightfalls get "one featured overcharge weapon" and Raids/Lost Sectors get "one overcharge weapon". Whether that means NFs get one additional and Raids/LS get only one (excluding champ ones) I dunno. I would guess they mean they get an archetype in addition to the Artifact Approved(TM) weapons because Dares specifies "two overcharged weapons".

Dares and Wellspring also specify "weekly rotating surges" so I have no idea if that means the static Strand + Void/Solar is tied to all Surges in all activities, or specific to Vanguard stuff.

Could really use some more information, basically.

Roctavian posted:

The problem is, this is another Choice You Make In Orbit -- plus, when it's this complicated, there's no way people who don't use mods / don't know how to choose subclass fragments / don't understand armor elements / etc, will understand why they get more damage sometimes and not at other times.

Yeah, I am speaking mainly about the people that would read a thread like this. Randos are gonna have a rough time, but then they have a rough time figuring out mods in general so I won't even pretend I have a solution there.

The whole system seems a little overly complex for no real reason tho. Just don't buff enemy health and don't include surges/overcharge weapons, would make the most sense to me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah I understand what they're going for, I have no idea how practical it's gonna be in play.

Also considering the seasonal battleground playlist part says "Weekly rotating Surge (same one as Vanguard Ops Playlist)" I'm starting to think each activity is gonna do it's own Surges and Overcharged weapons. Which means the seasonal weapon types will be ole reliables and we'll be swapping subclasses and weapon types based on activity per week.

Which could be fun or loving tedious! Let's find out in a week :dance:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
While I agree with the sentiment I want to point out that giving buffs to certain subclasses and archetypes is not the same as nerfing others. It is still not good, and a weird rear end design choice, but a bit misleading to refer to it as a nerf. It's also not even close to match game, I dunno why everyone keeps conflating the two.

I understand what they were going for: hey, we've added deltas and made enemies harder to kill and stagger so the game is more challenging! To help you out we're giving big buffs to a load of archetypes from the seasonal artifact, plus some for each activity, and we'll buff some rotating subclasses! Isn't that helpful? We can make it more challenging but you can get an advantage building into the rotations!

Again I get it, again I don't see this as the most sensible choice in the world, but until we get a chance to play it (in like six days) I'm not gonna assume the sky is falling. Unless we play it and it really super sucks. Then yeah, I'll bitch about it too.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

remember when tractor cannon buffed void damage far more than it did the other types, so everyone only ever ran void because why wouldn't you?

No? When was this? If it was before Season of the Lost I wasn't playing then. Also I've somehow missed playing a lot of the meta builds honestly. Mainly because I am very slow.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Y'all realise Surges are in the game, right now? Like, in Nightfalls even. Warden of Nothing has Acute Solar Burn as a modifier right now. Like, I'm looking right at Master and Grandmasters and they both have Acute Solar Burn. So in Nightfalls and Grandmasters get +25% to all Solar damage, including if they run Solar as their subclass.

Why have I never heard people complain about this and mention how this forces you to run solar in Nightfalls and Grandmasters? Grandmasters are already -25 delta so this means literally everyone runs Solar because why would you do 25% less damage right? Literally no one has run this Nightfall not as Solar, right?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RBX posted:

That's limited to just those. These new changes impact the entire game.

That doesn't explain why no one has ever complained about it? I've never heard complaints of being forced into subclasses in GMs? So, if it has been a complete non issue for years (!) why would it suddenly be a thing now?

You're literally giving up 25% extra damage if you don't run Solar, right now. If this is gonna be a huge issue then it already is a huge issue but surprisingly no one has said anything.

Maybe, just maybe, people are overreacting before they even see how it works.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Other content isn't becoming GMs tho? Content mentioned are things like Empire Hunts and Wellspring, which are being power boosted essentially, something that is sorely needed, and then they're adding a gently caress tonne of ways to get buffs to a lot of different things. That's not becoming a GM at all. That's raising the baseline difficulty and adding boosts to things.

I really don't think doing a Nightfall at -5 on Heroic is a new GM. The same as as long as you got the basic anti-champ stuff Heists don't need much thought in loadout. Raids are probably the only thing that I can see as seeing a genuine effect, and I have complete faith in those minmaxers.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Truspeaker posted:

It sounds like these surges are going to affect a lot more things at once, which is a huge difference from the current system. If I can equip one of the two current subclasses that are surging, and every single kinetic weapon I have gets a big damage boost, AND I don't have to fiddle with mods for specific weapon combos to deal with champions, then the new system sounds extremely different in terms of actual effect on how many choices I have for a particular thing. Like, yeah, you could get super worried that Bungie is going to do things in the worst possible way, and empirically you wouldn't be wrong to do so, but given that the explicit purpose of these changes is to let people have more options when deciding what weapons to use, this particular issue is probably going to turn out okay depending on a bunch of specifics of implementation that no one's gonna know about til it's out.

It will affect two elements (and subclasses), all anti-champ weapons for the season (so at least 6 archetypes) plus one or two extra archetypes. Using those rules for this season I randomised my weapons from my vault and after 12 swaps only five weapons didn't fall into the requirements.

Basically, you're gonna have to work hard to avoid poo poo to not get a 25% buff to all your weapons at least.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If it won't really matter to the content but it bothers people that sounds like a personal issue rather than a gameplay or mechanical one tbh.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Mismatched weapon damage to shields doing 50% isn't Match Game. Not even close. If Match Game meant every weapon did 50% damage to mismatched shields no one would have complained about match game. No one talks about Gambit having match game, cause it doesn't.

With roughly six weapon archetypes for the season plus activity archetypes you're gonna find it hard to use weapons (combined with the element boosts) that don't cover the ground you want.

Also everyone is assuming all enemies are getting 25% extra health I guess? I don't remember reading anywhere that they specified that number. Did I miss something or is everything just assuming the worst?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't really mind how Light Fall and TFS wrap things up. I hope they only tie up the direct Light/Dark story ends honestly. Everything tangential brought up? Leave it for us to learn over the course of whatever comes next. Piecing together extra info after the climax to fill in the unimportant blanks is fun and good imo.

However the Traveler/Witness thing goes down is fine by me, because chances are good they both disappear, we end up cleaning up the aftermath for many expansions on, while dealing with new poo poo. And that's cool and fine.

If it turns out the Witness is all "lol I'm gonna need your powers to reset the universe to nothing, Orb" and we find poo poo that takes them down, and in that time the Traveler goes bye-bye, or some poo poo like that, totally fine by me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
All I can hear in my head now is the sound bite from UT2004 that goes "MMMMmmmmmmmister CROW!" thanks.

Edit: Also wasn't there something about the Light helps you forget, the Darkness helps you remember?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I want them to leave some loose ends open. Like, Clarity and poo poo. Keep that open for now, make it its own thing. I wouldn't be opposed to, after TFS, seasons being a bit more anthology-ish for a bit. Give us a season of self contained story, about something now related to the ongoing big story book.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Clarity was Clovis' name for the Darkness, that's all

Clarity Control then, the big rear end statue that isn't a statue that we haven't been told much about but a lot has been alluded to, could be a possibly neat story hook.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah I am aware, what I'm saying is they don't need to wrap up it and every other tangential thing just because they're closing out the Traveler vs Witness showdown. It's totally fine to leave it hanging because it isn't that important right now, and can be used for neat story or mission hooks later.

Clarity Control was a random example, and not the actual point I was making.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The strongest guardian is Goku, duh.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This timeline is very hosed up, but in a good way. The one consistent thing, I think, across every iteration, is that you shouldn't ship the sisters you loving weirdos. This game gets anime enough already.

Anyway, two and a bit days til the new season, I'm pumped. We got spiderstrand happening, whole lot of QoL happening, we have match game removed and a sensible system put in place that people are being dumb freaking out about (classic), seasonal mods are now perks and basically a skill tree, that rules.

Looking forward to when they let us set up seasonal perks in loadouts, that'll be even better. I really hope the enhancing of Adept weapons go well and they roll it out to all weapons. Come on, you're nerfing Veist Stinger, least you could do is double the return on my Funnelweb's Subsistence, heh.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

The virgin complaining about random numbers I saw in patch notes vs the chad getting very hype for new fruity little outfits

Yeah, I glossed over numbers, I know a bunch of stuff I like is getting nerfed and/or buffed, I'm more keen on playing with the new stuff and also dress up games with Green Spider-Man roleplay.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Light Fall has ruled so far, happy with all the UI changes even if it throws me for a bit. poo poo is good.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I liked the campaign, Strand is fun as hell, pretty happy with the whole thing. Yeah, I agree that it isn't the best campaign story they've done but at the same time I liked it anyway. Also the armour mod system is good and flexible, plus there's more coming out over time as they've said.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So how do people feel about Strand at least? I haven't done anything since I completed the campaign last night so I haven't gotten any of the fragments or grenade alternatives but I like the Hunter homing dagger.

I really like it, it's fun to play, feels good as a hunter, and when I managed to get four nodes in an area to make my own swingy arena it felt satisfying as hell. The flying dagger is rad too, and I hope they backport the catch minigame (time the melee button to catch it on the return to regain more melee energy) to other things like Titan shield throws.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's hard to take a lot of people in this thread seriously when they out themselves as being unable to handle basic gameplay we've seen before, complain the game is too hard (I'm a filthy casual who never did a GM lol no it isn't) and describe things they don't like as "aids".

Even when they're right about something it's more like a broken clock thing. But unfortunately if you skim over like six people then the thread is actually really quiet, so I guess that's engagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Fragrag posted:

so, as a Destiny player who never gave a gently caress about min-maxing stats and just enjoyed pointing cool guns at bad dudes, is it worth getting back right now?

It's the reason I play and enjoy the game.