Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If it's any consolation regarding 'big bosses get lame once they show up in the actual gameplay' then you may be happy to hear that none of the big 3 writers were asked to generate ANY Xivu Arath content for LF or even TFS... Could just mean they have someone on the actual bungie payroll handling it but it's still super weird

and a bad sign, since the contracted writers do Very Good Work and the Bungie Staff Writers are.... less so

Wait who are the big 3 writers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Someone tell me what happens in this one in a reasonably factual manner so that I know for future lore, tia

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Golden age people moved to Neptune, uploaded their brains into a darkness(?) powered isekai computer and hid from the rest of humanity. The witness wants to fight the demon king and needs the thing powering the computer. So they get some jobber to do it and idk I'm not all the way finished with the campaign you should just play it and pay attention yourself

I haven't played Destiny since D1 pre-alpha, I don't like the AI and physics downgrade from Halo :(

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

the raids gonna come out and hes gonna get like two lore books, an armor set, and 5 guns about the backstory of nezarac and make a hundred videos about it, i do not think bungie is going to completely lose the lore dorks just because they didnt explain the veil

hell postgame exotic quest they finally explain the loving black garden's black heart and that took nine years

What's the explanation

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

the black heart was the vex trying to copy the veil. what is the veil? tbd!

it aint much but someone got to cross out the last "what the gently caress was going on in destiny 1" todo probably

(there may be more to this i haven't finished the exotic quest yet)

Okay. Huh, well, aight.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

elpaganoescapa posted:

I hope when the final shape year is over, maybe Battuta can explain here what was his original idea about this whole mess, I'd love to know

I mean my thoughts about the Darkness aren't a secret, I defined it pretty openly in the D1 grimoire and I've kept to the same concept since. It's an idea that fascinates me because it's real, right? It exists in our universe, it dominates everything we do. All the good we want to achieve, everything we want to make better about the world, is constrained by the fact that systems first have to keep existing and resist their competitors before they can actually, like, do good stuff. It's awful. It's tyrannical. It weighed on me a lot as a depressed burnout locked in a room at Bungie banging away at OneNote. "Is creation, whether it's a video game studio or a nation or a species or whatever, ultimately ruled by those who put all their energy into Winning The Game, and none at all into Being Decent or Having Purpose?" What's the point of writing a great game if no one plays it? Does it matter if you write a bad game if everyone plays it? Is there really any meaning to anything that can exist beyond the awful metric of 'first, promote your own existence'?

But Bungie is ultimately in charge of the IP, they get to decide what actually matters to the game.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 2, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

In both the Ikora journal for uhh Witch Queen? And hopefully in some upcoming lore stuff you will see more of the thoughts I put into the Light side of things. Where I do try to articulate a possibility of escape from the tyranny of 'optimize thy own values away in favor of Growth'

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

e: triple post lol

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 2, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

kurona_bright posted:

Yeah, the lore in Witch Queen’s CE is straight up some of my favorite destiny writing. Reread it recently and it totally holds up even after a year

:shobon:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

A rainmaker argosy

Ikora Rey – Name I chose because it was the right name

ikora rey — name unproper, like an object

ikorarey – agglutinated self, boundaries removed. I don’t like this

i
ko
ra
rey

Like a song?

I, Kora — who am I without I? Kora. Twenty-one stringed instrument, west African. Or the Greek word for maiden. As in fair maiden? Sorry, neither.

Ikora. From ikora, Sanskrit word for ravanagrass, the blade of grass that Sita threw down between her and the Demon King Ravana as a wall and a sign. (This etymology is contested, but it is hard to know exactly how ancient words have changed.) If I am the blade of grass then I am the barrier between Ravana and Sita, between demon and queen. In some places and times I would have been persecuted as a demon because I am a Gnostic. Am I a Gnostic? Am I agnostic? Maybe, if you ask whether you’re agnostic, it means that you are: if you doubt then you are a doubter. An idea you can’t entertain without confirming it. Tiny brainstain.

Ikora. From Ikaria, Greek island, cultural preserve, famously cozy and long-lived. Not far from Tropea, as the crow flies. To breakfast like an Ikarian: spread honey on bread. Drink goat milk, wine, sage tea or coffee. For lunch, lentils, greens, dandelion greens. Dinner is bread and milk. On holidays, pork. Marjoram, sage, mint, and lemon in the tea. Ikaria vanished in the Collapse. The island untouched but everyone on it gone.

Ikora. From Hebrew yakiri: precious, dear. To who?

Ikora. From Arabic ikra or iqra, to read, to recite, especially a sacred text.

I, Chorus. Many voices, one message. Song of myself: I am large, I contain multitudes. (More impressive if you are small and contain multitudes: superior compression.) Will you speak to me before I am gone? Will you prove already too late?

I, Chora. From the Latin for the site of a monument. Many Titans wear marks with verses from Pujari’s libraries marked as Roman numerals. A popular mark I see is 28, 7-61. 28 perhaps for Augustine of Hippo’s Enchiridion, chapter 28. 7-61 could be the seventh chapter of the Quran, the sixty-first verse, “I am a messenger from the lord of worlds.” (This conflation of the Traveler with Abrahamic God has been no end of controversial; Guardians are perhaps too omnivorous in their allusions? Though I wonder if Messengers would be as good a name as Guardians?) I often study the Quran’s allusions to the Sabians, who were Gnostics like me, and perhaps worshipped Manu-Noah, or Mercury-Thoth, or Seth-Idris, or stars. I would have liked to meet them. I have heard that Sacred Harran has been resettled by those who follow the prophecies made in 2222 CE. Who knows if anything will come of it?

Ichor Array. Ew.

I, Chorarae. A place mentioned on some ancient maps.

I, ko’ra Rey. In Uzbek, ‘I according to Ray’. Who’s Ray? Who is he to accord me?

I, Okra. An edible mallow plant, from an Igbo word. I like okra because okra produces goo when cooked, and the goo is useful for cleaning wastewater. We must not shy from the fact that we are mostly water. We are Light but also ooze.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

e: post was too good to live

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Did they ever do anything with "Banshee is Clovis Bray"?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

My instinct with Strand would be to tie it to the Nine, which is the existing "web of invisible matter permeating all things" in Destiny's setting. The Nine have been trying to access paracausal power for a while, so this could be their big Intervention In The Real. Through the magic of paracausality, they finally figured out how to use their filaments to do stuff.

But tapping pre-existing lore might have gone against the goal of making something totally new.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Poop :(

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

BATEMAN: You like Seth Dickinson's writing?

TASSI: Um, they're okay.

BATEMAN: Their early work was a little too cerebral for my taste. But when the Books of Sorrow came out in 2014, I think they really came into their own, both among gamers and loving weirdos. The whole lorebook has a fragmented, playful narrative voice, and a new sheen of humor that really helps the kids make memes. They've been compared to Michael Kirkbride, but I think Seth has a far more alcoholic, depressive philosophy.

I think their undisputed masterpiece is Unveiling. A lorebook so wack, most people probably don't pay attention to the themes. But they should, because it's not just about the creation of the universe and the nature of evolution. It's also a personal statement about the process of writing for video games. Hey, Paul!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Destiny content: Vault

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Wait was Savathun there during the Collapse? And Nezarec was there too? What did they end up doing with Nezarec, why was he there?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

What is the Veil? Like in two levels, what’s the lore reveal and what, like, physically is it?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The Traveler was never gonna be evil. Well at least not back then, in the olden times. gently caress me has it really been 10 years

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

dodgeblan posted:

really? I always thought that the end of the original story took place inside the traveler and revealed that the traveler is a bad dude

A hoax made up by a random Reddit poster which everyone believed and repeated credulously. Just like each species having its own unique starting area or whatever.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

How did they go about making flavor text from a D1 exotic a plot point? Was there actually a tree with silver wings?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

PERMACAV 50 posted:

In S11 yeah, plus there’s one by the boss in Root of Nightmares.

Is that a seasonal thing? Or was that the black garden raid with like no story?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I thought the Traveler repelled the Darkness with a giant blast of light (Light)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

whispering "oh emerald mine" @ elon

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

MJeff posted:

So the ahamkara intentionally make themselves pieces of exotic armor because they want to become real by being something that real people seek and treasure and find value in because of their utility in the game that we play?

That is.

Jesus, Bungie.

:shepface:

You are welcome.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I have some collectors editions of Destinies I worked on (though I tore them apart a fair bit trying to make sure no roaches followed me from my old apartment). If I installed them (I am not going to install them) would they just delete themselves?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

What happened to Rasputin? Did he die?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

MJeff posted:

I've only vaguely aware of how this went down -- so when they basically scrapped the entire game they had back in 2012-13 and just stitched the vanilla campaign back together with what they had, they also hired a guy to write a bunch of lore card (that you could only access on Bungie.net) to fill in all of the MASSIVE GAPING HOLES that dumpstering most of their campaign to that point had created, and that guy went on to be a Destiny lore youtuber?

No, Destiny lore YouTubers make far more money off those cards than I did

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

e: nm

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 7, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was really looking forward to a payoff on the whole sword logic / bomb logic thing, but they just seem to be on course to rival Game of Thrones for a disappointing and confusing last minute change of course.

It is, for whatever it's worth, something I think is urgently important to figure out in real life.

If we assign value to systems by their ability to succeed in a competitive environment — which we do, under capitalism, under evolution, even under the stupid but very real ecosystem of ideas and memes — then what do we do when it turns out that the good thing to do is not the same as the competitively successful thing to do?

Do we give up on the good? How do we make a good that can preserve itself in the face of competitive threats (the ring of spears) while still remaining good on the inside? Can being good make us more competitively successful, and if so, how? Is something good if it only guarantees good for those 'within it', inside the ring of spears, or does it also need to generate external good for those who refuse to play by the rules?

How do we promote good people to positions of moral authority, when people who want authority pretend to be good in order to get power, and undercut or outcompete the genuinely good people?

How do we save the planet when our system of organizing society assigns the highest competitive value to things that are destroying the planet?

How do we create systems that reward cooperation, when the payoffs of cooperation make it more and more tempting and profitable to cheat - to free ride, to actively gently caress over other cooperators?

How do we cure cancer when cancer is a failure of cellular morality? What is the difference between a moral and an immoral cell? What does the body do to reward the cooperators and punish the competitors?

How do we make video games we love and care about and enjoy when the metric for a game's success is how well it sells and how many hours of engagement it generates? What happens when 'fun' and 'meaning' begin to decouple from 'sales' and 'engagement'?

It has been disappointing, personally, to see Destiny steer away from these questions. I think they are questions which match the primordial urgency of concepts like 'Light' and 'Darkness'.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 7, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

There should be a green beard cosmetic, imo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

I don't... think they are, personally.

I wrote the material you mentioned (though I’ll be damned if I know what a singular exegete is).

I probably shouldn’t talk about this further.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 8, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

I guess I'm getting dunked on for... sourcing my quotes? I dunno

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/unborn#book-the-singular-exegete

Yes, I wrote this, I just don’t know what the title means. Words big, brain small.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

Like if Battuta went through the new stuff and disagreed, then yeah I'll eat crow there. But I don't think that's the case, and I don't think Bungie's moved away from the topics, even if they're using different words or simplifying it for their 30 second seasonal cutscenes.

I'm not saying he's wrong for drawing that conclusion with the information he has- I'm saying the information he got was wrong. That's all.

The stuff you’re quoting as the “new stuff” consistent with my work is also stuff I wrote.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Do the original authors of the lore tabs get royalties from the physical collections?

gently caress no. You don't even get your name on the cover.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I suspected as much but that blows.

Yeah with the number of printings they've gone through, it definitely would've helped me get out of the black mold roach pit I lived in post-Bungie a little sooner. :( Work for hire do be that way.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

So much for Maya and Chioma's HEA I guess.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Polaron posted:

Yeah, man, it really sucks when a lesbian couple doesn't get a happily ever after. Like if one of them, say, gets drowned by an oppressive regime or something. Really lovely when that happens in publications.

Yeah, imagine how much it would suck if you got dragged for that and tried to make up for it really hard, and then, well.

I don't know if you meant this post to be funny but it was pretty much my life for a couple years post-Bungie

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I appreciate it! The people arguing for my eyeballs to be gouged out do stick in memory though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Way back in 2014 there was a tug of war between the pvp team and the narrative team over who got to name the maps. Whenever a narrative lead would go on vacation (crunch induced meltdown subtype) the PVP team would rush over and be like "hey we want to name the maps XYZ" and then the narrative lead would come back and get mad and change everything back. Eventually I think narrative mostly won which is good because PVP wanted very simple Quake/Call of Duty style names like "Array" or "Town".

That moon map that I think ended up being called Cauldron was super hard to name. I think we had to send a list all the way up to Jason Jones or Luke Smith to get them to pick a favorite.