Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
Still has the new thread smell.

Under you skin is cool, it also represents the only non-exotic void bow that can be acquired, and has the classic Tempo/Explosive combo. Tempo/Warm Up gives it a very zippy draw time. It also has Adaptive Munitions, but that is getting pseudo-nerfed so YMMV.

Edit: Tripwire Canary, the arc lightweight craftable bow from this Season (Seraph) can also get Tempo/Warm Up, which I believe would stack with Veist Stinger. Although you could also craft Tempo/Frenzy for a very reliable bow. Maybe someday we'll get a craftable solar bow, as currently Strident Whistle (random vanguard drop) is the only readily-available choice.

Just to poo poo out some quick bow basics, here's how it goes:
Lightweight frame bows usually have relatively quick drawtimes and generous aim assist, but have limited range (so the aim assistance and damage falls off pretty quick)and less accuracy (accuracy and aim assistance interact in funny ways sometimes, but to boil it down lightweight frames, in my experience, have their accuracy penalties pretty well nullified by strong AA if your target is within ~20 meters).
Precision frame bows have relatively slower drawtimes and less aim assistance, but have strong range and better accuracy. They also hit a little bit harder.

Bows do generally pretty good damage compared to other primary ammo weapons, but will struggle with groups of enemies or those right up in your face or in need of a quick burn. On the flipside they don't invite moments of reload panic, so your damage output will generally be more consistent than with a scout or pulse (lots of nuance here, so please don't murder me in replies folks). Perks like Archer's Tempo and Explosive Head are my favorite to have, since Tempo lets you shoot faster and Explosive gives a slight damage buff that doesn't fall off over range and also gives a touch of AOE (you /will/ notice this when using bows in most content).

Forward_Bee fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Lib and let die posted:

Silly question maybe, but like...how am I supposed to play with a sidearm? Hip fire up close and click the fire button like an addict slamming the morphine button?

Turn on the full auto toggle in gameplay settings, save your mouse and index finger. A great buff to sidearms.

You can ofc hipfire sidearms, but you'll likely want to ADS for accuracy and range purposes. Since they usually have pretty strong handling, you can whip out a sidearm and ADS with it pretty quick, and the limited zoom factor means you won't be tunnel visioned too hard when doing so.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Mesadoram posted:

I gotta make one for my lock, sounds like a great combo.

Fire and Forget (Linear Fusion from this season) can also get chill clip, and will have better ammo economy than a rocket, in case chill clip is what you're looking for. Deliverance (craftable stasis fusion rifle from Vow of the Disciple Raid) can also rock compulsive reloader/chill clip, so you get those zippy reloads for the first 4 shots.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Lib and let die posted:

Oh dear God what other qol improvements on PC am I not aware of having played on PS4 for like 5 years of D2

Random and brutal lag in certain areas of the game, though I think that probably happens on console, too.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
(Likely) final post of my streak for any New Lights / Returning players looking to get things put together before this expansion ends:

If you don't have the time or opportunity to grab a Hung Jury from the Nightfalls this season, Tears of Contrition is a viable alternative, and can be crafted from Haunted (Leviathan). It also has the absolute meme combo of triple tap and fourth time's the charm, but I personally recommend triple tap / explosive.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Lib and let die posted:

Also the button to rev Lament just shows as <?> in the item overview and I have no idea what binding it relates to lmao

My console brain is in remission but it's still a long road :(

It'll be your "block" hotkey in settings. The default is something like C or V, but I've been using Left Alt so long I can't remember.

You probably know from console experience, but I believe the best Lament combo string is still 3 light into heavy, light until charged, 3 light into heavy.

Edit: post below refines that advice.

Forward_Bee fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 10, 2023

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Roctavian posted:

I was working under the impression that Hung Jury will still be on the Nightfall rotation next season, which was the entire basis of my "Don't Bother Doing Nightfalls Until Wendigo Week" strategy. I have two older adept Hung Juries that I really like already, and while I wouldn't say no to an origin perk... I would otherwise just be going for the same rolls I already have? (subsistence/explosive payload and rapid hit/box breathing)

Good roll. Having Stunning Recovery would be a decent value add, especially if you rock it in NF's. I have a RH/Adagio myself, which is ~okay. You don't really notice the adagio fire rate dip with it, but you do notice the damage increase.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

[
(also buy Xur’s Hollow Words, UP/Vorpal is a great roll on fusions)

What's the charge time on that sucker? Mostly an academic questions, since I doubt it would ever be able to replace my Ad.Junkie/UP Plug.One (it's even adept!)

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
You'll be able to focus adept NF weapons that match the currently available weapon on a given week, and I think Hung Jury will be in the pool for S20. It's expensive tho, so I don't anticipate being able to craft more than 1/week unless you really grind out (since a platinum clear GM gives 2 ciphers, and you need 10 per focus).

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Roctavian posted:

Are GMs not going to drop weapons on completion anymore?

I believe Bungie had some line in that article that said that ciphers were a drop /in addition to/ what we already get. At least I certainly loving hope so, because god drat.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
Europa Gambit map would be sick, imagine if it has snow storms and everything to occasionally limit vision. But I'd settle for literally anything new for gambit, because I love the mode and it needs love.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah it got done dirty in Plunder

Horror's Least was around in Haunted (Corrupted week, nice and easy) and this season (Scarlet Keep, kind of annoying). In Plunder, Mindbender was actually bugged in its debut week, and they swapped it TO Horror's Least, during Lightblade Week :barf:

Even sillier is that Silicon Neuroma was the Double Drop Gun two seasons in a row (Haunted & Plunder). Then, even though Mindbender was around for TWO weeks in Plunder, it was the Double Drop Gun for Seraph Season

The rotation schedule makes sense, but it sucks a fat hog if you're like... unable to play in the 1x week that has the gun you want. I'm glad they're adding the New Currency(tm) next season that will allow you to 'grind' for any Adept, especially during Double Drop Week, and just log on to claim the desired gun during its featured week

Not perfect, or even 'good' really, but a huge improvement over the Blink And Miss It system

Ah, old Silicon, the adept weapon I had dozens of drops for and didn't even keep one. Nothing about my drops was ever good. Very dumb that it was the double drop more than anything else.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Kith posted:

kept an eye out during the vidoc's buildcrafting segment, this is what i was able to pull

lots of interesting details, probably my favorite is that holster mods are being moved to elements rather than weapon families

My eyes popped open 150% at the same portion. Interface actually does look pretty slick! So it looks like armor charges are sustained like current CwL, unless you are using a mod that causes them to decay. These mods may give stat bonuses, but they are not "always on" like current Powerful Friends, Radiant Light, etc. So basically these new stat boosting mods work like the fragment options we have now. Hopefully they provide similarly large buffs like many of the 3.0 subclass fragments, too.

Exciting times, I still anticipate spending at least an hour before campaign proper getting all that worked out (I am very dumb)

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
Just wrapped up the final seasonal mission on my 3rd character, and it loaded me to the Annex landing site in the tower. Can't recall ever landing here before unless specifically requested. Neat?

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

RocketRaygun posted:

I dont think 1kv will be a boss dps weapon. It seems like it will be very good on paper but the ability to kill yourself with it hampers it's utility. Sleeper seems similarly poised to be a good option for dps but doesn't suffer from the "oops i'm dead for this whole dps phase" problem that 1kv does.

Self-owns with Sleeper are possible, but with the upside of being hilarious instead of annoying.

1KV will definitely be better post-LF, with utility vs champs and ignitions for added DPS. I'm not sure if ignitions have a timeout per-enemy, but the explosion can do pretty decent damage (does anyone have #'s for this? I sorta assume it scales based on enemy HP/category or may be just a % of health). Really want to see if a couple shots from 1KV can wipe out all the boss knights at the end of shattered throne similar to fusion grenades right now.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
Add a competetive card game to D2, something trickier than Pazaak but less intense than Tetra Master.

Note: This thought came into my head when thinking about earning Pazaak card drops to D2, with a +/- 5 combo card having a .001% universal drop rate from any kill.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Triple Triad with different rules on each destination

Now you're talking.

I'm also imaging a tower defense mode for D2 in the vein of the Sanctum series.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Black Griffon posted:

I'm gonna start a church of "refuse to learn/intentionally ignore the systems" because some of y'all need this thembo jesus

There are certainly enough posters in this thread to serve as a healthy population for this church, but you may have to do battle for the top spot. Start revving up those terrible takes.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Kith posted:

the only church i'm a part of is the church of the fighting lion. i will never subscribe to your heathen faith

Our Lord Lion giveth and taketh in equal measure (cut to video of me either getting to launch 3 out of the tube in quick succession or watching the beautiful reload animation at 0 stat)

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
With the announcement of anti-barrier sidearms, I'm here to once remind everyone of the outstanding synergy of Arbalest and Forerunner. Arby not only pops barriers, but also grants bonus damage to kinetics hitting the target afterwards via Disruption Break. Forefunner, an kinetic sidearm, itself has a bonus that does extra precision damage to unshielded enemies. When paired, that little sidearm packs some serious heat in Nightfalls. I have fond memories this combo last time, seeing barrier pop from Arby, walking forward with my Forerunner getting a handful of precision shots in, then casually using a finisher on the champ. Good (read: great) times.

Also glaives are awesome, and I can't wait to see them in NF's again. Very very strong when used properly (for example, a good glaive user makes the boss room of Proving Grounds /significantly/ easier).

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Holoprojector messages are the 'this could have been an email' of the Destiny story. Substantially less annoying if you have an SSD I guess but for last gen console players it's an opportunity to check facebook I guess.

Also Amanda being dead is going to be the new "Cayde is dead, but has audio in this strike / story mission" after they redid a bunch of the strikes to remove his audio... and replaced it with Amanda.

I get worked by the holoprojector at the farm because of those mis-aligned brick textures.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Kith posted:

Ward of Dawn casts instantly, gives you a full overshield so it can prevent your death, and recharges your grenades. The Weapons of Light damage buff is as high as Ability Damage Buffs go (25% or 20%, I don't remember) and is on-par with Well of Radiance if you're missing a Warlock. It's a great tool for "oh poo poo" moments and can allow you to revive safely in high difficulty content.

Sentinel Shield is a more or less standard roaming super, except you can also Guard with it, which puts up a huge-rear end barricade that your teammates can shoot through, blocks incoming damage fully, generates orbs per blocked damage, and gives the same Ability Damage Buff as Ward of Dawn. Sentinel is less popular in things like Raids because it involves someone doing something other than shooting - if you need offense AND defense, Well of Radiance performs the same job while keeping the Warlock's hands free. However, in things like GMs where enemies can punch right through the healing of Well of Radiance and one-shot you anyways, Sentinel Shield blocking is often a godsend since you can use it to attack and advance safely.

The bit about ward having HP vs Shield having infinite is v. important, esp. in the context of high-end content. For example, an Ursa Titan with Sentinel is a key piece of many Devil's Lair GM runs. In the outdoor walker section, that walker can kill a bubble in one or two shots, but the sentinel shield can take however many (1 or 2 shots usually being enough to refund the full 50% of the super that Ursa enables).

Forward_Bee fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 18, 2023

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
It doesn't appear to give anything except for the chest opening sound effect.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

RBX posted:

That reminds me that I wanna fight whoever did the shading for the seasonal weapons. Might as well not have shader options.

As per usual, Nightfall shader makes anything look good.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

MJeff posted:

Sounds like Master Caiatl is no longer dropping spiky armor and Grasp of Avarice may be the new go-to, which is unfortunate, cause GoA was the dungeon last week and won't be back for like a month.

I had a feeling this would be the case; earlier on in the season folks who were cheesing Duality noted that the armor drops were underwhelming. What is your source for Grasp armor being better? I hope it checks out, because it would stink if all artifice armor was dropping mid-rolls.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

haveblue posted:

Artifice armor has already been nerfed once (it used to give an extra generic mod slot instead of a small stat bonus) so they might be willing to do it again

Certainly they'd want to get rid of the perception that once you have artifice armor, that slot is done and non-artifice drops are worthless

That was my dream; reduce vault bloat for niche loadouts by having a dozen strong pieces of artifice gear for each character. This has worked pretty well on my Titan, but I hosed up and didn't get enough good pieces last season for Warlock or Hunter. Consider that 4 pieces of artifice gives you 12 stat points to play with, and that's pretty good flexibility. Grab some pieces with differing spikes and voila. I figured this aspiration is sort of what Bungie intended, since it represents the "higher challenge for higher reward" mindset. Granted we as players found ways to trivialize some of the challenges, but still.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Kith posted:

mobility should also increase sprint speed
strength should also lower unpowered melee cooldown
intellect should also increase increase super damage

send tweet

I like them all. Personally I would like if Int added a scalar to the "do damage and get super juice" gains, since it would incentivize players to be shooting instead of hiding.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Waroduce posted:

Lmao

e: Content

i got the thing yay

Congrats! You've been putting in the work.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Shockeh posted:

Can Vex Strike Force get you LLS Exotics?

E: That you haven't gotten yet, obviously.

Yes. Confirmed by self earlier today. Got a helm on Titan I had not otherwise unlocked (and in fact gave up on grinding for just hours beforehand).

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Kith posted:

so y'all know how titan shoulder charges don't OHKO in normal crucible anymore

moco is not normal crucible

i present to you the ultimate Fun Police loadout:

shoulder charge
storm grenades
fists of havoc
fighting lion

Disgusting. I'm very happy for you.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
Have this issue on my laptop, glad to know the cause.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

That version of Windows 10 is over 3 years old (May 2019) before the new anticheat even came to D2.

Personally, the security issue is not present on my Windows 10 desktop, but is on my Windows 11 laptop. And the laptop issue cropped up sometime in the past few months or so (can't say for sure; didn't see any error late last year, did see it last week).

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
Managed to get up to ~8k shards. I think my max was something like 14k back before WQ, but a very unfortunate series of Reed's Regret acquisitions from Saint XIV devastated my reserves, and I'd never really recovered. Then that bastard gun got an origin trait (which was important) and rendered my spending irrelevant. So it goes.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I used to focus for weapon rolls at what, like 50 or 200 shards a pop or something wild? These days I just Don't Give A poo poo though and mostly use crafted guns or random adept drops so the shard pile has been fairly unchanged

The Upgrade Module Tax did a number on me earlier in the season though

Upgrade mod tax is brutal. Glad I didn't listen to those losers who told me to toss all my planetary mats (I guess back pre-LF there was a thought that Bungie would just deleteall planetary mats at launch).

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
I've been having a good time with a crafted Deliverance, using Compulsive Reloader w/ Chill Clip. Slower charge than Riptide, but not too much of kick, and it does the whole slow/freeze cycle well. And that reload is pretty nice.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Paracelsus posted:

Hopefully easing off on the power level grind, especially pinnacles, will allow for a more relaxed rest of the year.

Yes. I definitely put in enough hours to be qualified as a "hardcore" player, and find the pinnie grind to be both dog and bullshit, namely due to the random nature of slots that receive drops. Doing anything to fix that, or perhaps just having everything tied to seasonal level would be so much better; I'll still likely be playing just as much, but in activities that I actually want to be in versus those I "need" to be in for pinnacle purposes.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
In other news, I now have every exotic in the game. The changes to Vex Incursions led to me getting armor pieces that I had no real interest in (great change, by the way!), so I figured it was time to finally buy Truth.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
The strike/NF GG playlist is fun, had a blast getting 192k casually with some pubbies. The PvP mode is fine, but gently caress that 300 crest weekly; I'm pretty mid at PVP and based on my first 3 games it's going to take around 15 more for me to get it done. The requirement should either A) be lower and/or B) should have the split language of "earn points by picking up fallen allied crests. Significant progress rewarded for picking up a fallen enemies crest" and/or C) crests should stay on the ground for everyone to pick up, except only the first grab impacts the game score.

I dig the weapon xp boost for activity completion. This rate should probably be the default, but I'll take what I can get.

EDIT: and the new scout is sweet. Have always been a fan of lightweight frames, and this has some solid perk options. I got a MovingTarget/ZenMoment Hatchling/Explosive roll and am very happy. I've heard some scuttlebutt that Explosive and Gutshot have a neat interaction wherein the bodyshot damage is nearly equivalent to a precision hit, which sounds neat and perfect for a shitter like me :)

Forward_Bee fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 3, 2023

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
The CBMM is Supremacy is bringing back old IB vibes, specifically the tick-tock pattern of stomping and then getting stomped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is Bungie bad at percentiles or does 100% of the population really have a higher Platinum Score than I do on the nightfall

My new high is 206k, which puts me in the top 20% supposedly. Very proud for getting that when my fellow fireteam members were both level 6; they actually took my taunt+finisher advice and one of them even chatted me "oh poo poo, that's how to do it" in reference to my instructions regarding how to make the sparrow section easier.