Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Aqua Dracula posted:

This is not debuting with Lightfall, most likely not coming until season 22.

Why even advertise it if it isn't coming until 2024??

How is it that loving hard to make?? Why even bother of is at the end of Destinys life cycle. Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Oxyclean posted:

Neomuna feels like a way more exciting/interesting destination then the Throneworld. The fact that there's been a bunch of build up to it being tied to some golden age stuff is neat to me.

Granted the destinations feel like they end up barely being anything in the long run, so who knows how much that matters.

Really? Neomuna will probably be cool as gently caress, all Bungie's environments are, but the Throne World in Destiny 2 was really cool and alien. That's why it was so disappointing to have very little to do with the year overall. Plus...

Jetamo posted:

I still want to see Lightbearer Hive in more content. They're fun to fight! Much more so than "oh boy it's another unstoppable ogre".

Exactly. They're honestly what I wanted when Bungie first announced champion enemies. They should have been way more prominent. Given the pattern of seasons so far, in that they use the locations of expansions previous, I feel like there will be more use of the Throne World and Lucent Hive. I hope so, anyway.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Mazerunner posted:

shadowkeep was D2's RoI

then the original plan, BL would have been D3, witch queen would've been taken king the third, and now lightfall loops back around to being RoI again

Was RoI bad or something? Comparing it to shadowkeep is dire

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

victrix posted:

They got around that in Taken King by having you punch him to death in the campaign and the raid!

I'll be amazed if they stick the landing

Not skeptical, or optimistic, just curious

It's a difficult landing to stick.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Luke Smith basically saved Destiny 2 lol everyone else was for whatever dual primary 4v4 Joss Whedon bullshit that nearly killed the franchise

Is there something on this? I recall him being the guy responsible for that poo poo

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

DancingShade posted:

Resurrected as a still limbless torso we'll mount to the front of a drop ship as a hood ornament.

It would be really funny if, after being resurrected, we go on a quest to make arms and legs for him. But then every time he gets rezzed he's just a torso

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Kith posted:

i remember when loader mods were elementally coded and that was extremely :shepicide:

I don't even know why they pushed so hard for that system, that it took this long for them to abandon it years after it was shown to be garbage.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The closing remarks of the ViDoc

"Destiny is far from over. This universe is about more than the conflict between the traveler and the pyramids, and we want to show you new ways to explore and new things to discover in the universe, because we think destiny has a lot to offer, and lightfall is the catalyst for that"

Bruhhhhh just say if there's gonna be new raids and campaigns and exotics and poo poo for Year 8+

I am interested to see what they do with Destiny after final shape. They had some interesting narrative notes that were separate from the light/dark story, but have since repurposed those to be part of a grand narrative that is impossible for great writers to conclude satisfyingly, much less the hacks at Bungie.

They've put an extremely inelegant punctuation point on the Destiny story thus far, so it kind of seems like they have to start from scratch on new narratives. That's a difficult proposition.

As for lightfall, I'm weirdly unexcited for it. It's just really hard for me to get pumped about a story surrounding a mcguffin they made up two months ago and haphazardly shoved into the story. Like they wrote themselves into a corner and had to pull a deus ex machina to get out of it, and it's really obvious.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

RocketRaygun posted:

Billion dollar franchise buddy. They're not stopping. Destiny is a money printer and raids, campaigns, and exotics sell. Why would they stop making all the money they are making?

Yeah. And honestly? I pray for this emotional prison to close

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Kith posted:

i hope that LW doesn't get crafting patterns because i don't care in the least about any of its guns

its origin trait would have to be loving incredible to get my attention

i like the starry accents and sleek shapes of the guns.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Champions could have been an interesting idea, but was a product of the general haphazard development of shadowkeep. Hive Guardians have fulfilled much of the same rolls that champions should have, and are much less used for some reason. Like it wouldn't be that hard to say that now savvy is gone, some of the hive Guardians have turned to xivu for leadership.

Champions also could have been like unique enemies in Diablo likes. Be generally upgraded, and have interesting abilities that require a change in approach. But alas.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

RBX posted:

Un-sunsetting would make me uninstall forever and never look back.

These enemy changes are some real money paw poo poo. Make champs easier then put in a system where you still have to conform your load out because somebody at Bungie hates when you have control over your own build.

"Seasonally" rotating surges is loving crazy

I will be surprised if the enemy changes are more than just making them the new cabal skins and upping their density.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

arsenicCatnip posted:

they explicitly mentioned sparrows so I'm guessing some map changes to prevent you skipping that one part by just driving through it
I was talking specifically about the enemy changes. Like they're not going to add a bunch of champions to the base strike. It's going to be visual and density changes to enemies at most, I think.

The sparrow thing is mildly annoying but honestly not that bad. Same for the power deltas. It was perfectly fine in the new battlegrounds. It will probably be fine now.

But it is Bungie, so who knows. It's a 50-50 chance that the new mechanics they're talking about are just stomping on your junk over and over.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

DancingShade posted:

Personally I can't wait spend half an hour on each vanguard strike instead of 10 minutes. The weapon levelling process is too fast and needs to be slowed down.

After all how else will Bungie drive people back to gambit?

Does anyone else smell brimstone?

I don't think it's to funnel people back into gambit lol

But yeah, spending an hour and a half just to get my third arm slot pinnacle for the week is going to drive me away from doing them at all.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's all new players who don't understand the game yet, and how long do you think games tend to last when they piss off new players trying to get through the basic activities? Especially when the game is that bad at explaining these systems to new players?

I don't know about that. The game has been hostile to new players since shadowkeep. Still keeps going somehow.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Black Griffon posted:

Everyone's just talking about theoreticals here though, right? No one actually knows how any of this is gonna turn out?

The last time the leadup to an expansion release was this full of pointless changes instead of actual content we got shadowkeep.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

muike posted:

the witness is just megamind

i kind of dislike how many plot threads just seem to be getting tied up for the sake of getting tied up instead of the destiny universe having a feeling of mystery. i don't think it needed a single big bad guy, especially one that is like ALL ENCOMPASSING for the store to be fun or to even reach a natural conclusion

maybe some lightfall lore will make it seem more interesting, but i feel like the build up to lightfall has been about making everything less interesting and open ended and more about there being a Lord Zed to the Power Rangers

It's just a part of the wikification of stories. every question must be answered to the most minute detail. the smallest reference to anything at all must be expanded upon into a revelation. nothing can be left alone, nothing can be separate or distinct.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

elpaganoescapa posted:

I hope we eventually get to Volantis. Maybe in the next saga.

That is the singular but of lore in beyond light that made me actually annoyed to read about but never experience.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

*stands heroically* I like The Witness

You are wrong to.

God this expansion is going to be even worse than shadowkeep isn't it. Dumber story, regressive gameplay, just poo poo all around

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

arsenicCatnip posted:

see you in game guardian!

Yeah I'm basically that boycott modern warfare 2 meme

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Nelson Mandingo posted:

If you really honestly want to know the final boss of the upcoming raid and so on. If you're really really paying attention you can figure it out yourself.

It's Nezarac. Nezarac is a Psion disciple, joined long before the cabal conquered them. Look at Nezarac Sin's helmet, and then look at the Psion model. I can't believe I never saw it.

there's zero chance nez being a psion was thought before like, last week

Not sure why we're putting spoiler tags on Destiny, but I'll go along with it

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

MarcusSA posted:

So the ascended plain is essentially just dark mirrors of current maps?

That's the neat part! If there's no rules, then it is whatever the writers want it to be!

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Pirate Jet posted:

Nimbus is loving insufferable.
I love it when I'm right

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Is it shadowkeep bad or curse of Osiris bad

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Pierson posted:

Finished the campaign and have some thoughts that are basically 'I did not like this campaign much'.

Second-act bad-ends are a thing that can be done well but the way they implemented it here feels like the worst kind of "hey we won" "oh wait no we didn't". We're sitting around after the big W and then Ghost serenely floats away and turns it into an L. A Halo Reach-style last stand with Caitl at the entrance where we just straight-up fail as solemn music plays would have felt better than this. I was excited about descending into an Ishtar Collective facility and finding out what the gently caress the Veil was since Ishtar lore is crazy but the Veil is not at all explained and whatever it did to the Traveller Zavala is acting like it's Dead For Real so I guess the coming year is gonna be about that.

It sucks that Calus got turned into and went out like a chump. Jovial nihilist Calus who wrote fanfiction about us and wanted to see the end of the universe was infinitely more compelling than the rear end in a top hat second-string goon he got turned into at Haunting and continued to be here. Not even a good final scene with Caitl after what we saw in Duality. RIP Emperor, I wanted to grow fat from strength with you but then you became a dull henchman. It even sucks to fight him, he is a souped-up Colussus with infinite adds who then turns into a souped-up Gladiator and the arena is catwalks over deathzones so they can have a reason to make you use Strand, so any kind of physics fuckery and you're dead unless you can pull of a half-second grapple.

I have no thoughts about Nimbus, they are a non-entity. Bring Finch to Neptune and have him be dazzled at Neomuna.

The new guns are great, the new strike rules, I love Strand, the Tormentors are fuckin scary, D2 will continue to be D2 and I enjoy playing D2. But this campaign was closer to Beyond Light than Witch Queen.

kinda sounds like it's a shadowkeep-level trash campaign.

christ. i was right about everything.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Hive ghost was based on the existing template of quippy ghost and was thus tolerable and in some ways interesting because of how he contrasted with a non-hive ghost.

Nimbus is an entirely new entry into the series and is some Joss Wheedon / Marvel style cringe. There’s no reason for the cloudstriders to even exist lol, and if there is, the campaign certainly didn’t show it

The more I reflect on the campaign the more I’m disappointed. Can’t believe they did this after Witch Queen lol, they got the B team running destiny now for sure.

This is pretty clearly like the C or D team lol

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Roctavian posted:

I agree. Before Lightfall came out I was hoping the last city got wrecked and thus we had to evacuate everyone to Neomuna. The story would actually have higher stakes, plus the added tension of Terrans and Neomunans adapting to each other.

that would have been work, though.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Honestly feel like we shoulda just spent a year on Neptune chillin and dealing with the Vex or something and have the cabal threat happen for the final season, the end cutscene woulda been pretty cool as a lead up to the next expac! not the end of this ones base story...

Can't wait to spend all year doing bullshit tasks while we ignore the hole in the traveller

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

victrix posted:

After taking a day to digest the campaign and post-campaign story stuff, I think where I've landed is rescheduling really hosed this story

1) Strand was supposed to be earned in Witch Queen. It makes perfect sense there thematically (and would have had some really cool duality with the Hive gaining the Traveller's Light and us gaining the Witch Queen's Strand):

2) The main CG cutscene makes no loving sense when viewed as bookends to the campaign. It makes plenty of sense if you watch it as a single whole video as the intro to Lightfall and the end of Destiny 1/2/10 year plan/light-darkness saga whatever you want to call it. Starts off with a bang, Witness clowns everyone, succeeds immediately, now it's off to the races to stop whatever the gently caress it is doing. Instead, the shutters on the Helm close, we go have zany adventures in Neomuna, do a Rocky training montage with Osiris, hang out with Nimbus for a good long while while the Witness sits out in space knitting, then poof, shutters open and Witness executes its master plan!

3) Strand makes no loving sense in Neomuna. It's here more than anywhere else that the shift from WQ to LF feels most jarring. poo poo like encountering loving Shadow Cabal with Strand shields like, immediately! And then Osiris yelling that we must acquire Strand, it's the only way we can surprise the Witness and defeat Calus! The gently caress, bro, they already have it for some reason (conversely, if we had acquired it back in WQ, it would have been something unique and hidden by Savathun, which is very appropriate for her entire M.O.)

4) You could maybe possibly make the argument the Veil is supposed to be some vital part or organ of the Traveller that Savathun hid during the collapse to stop the Witness. How or why it was hidden in the solar system and the Witness couldn't find it, who knows. Why the Witness needs it to open the portal to the Traveller's cotton candy dimension, also who knows. The heart of the black garden being a failed clone of the heart feels like some too-pat retconny nonsense to try to tie up a story thread that didn't need to be tied up, but again, who knows. This only sort of makes sense when considering the Parasite mission where the worm straight up tells you Savathun rode shotgun for the Witness during the collapse until it was going to shank the Traveler, then she pulled a real humdinger of a scheme.

5) Really just a bit of meta thinking, but if we got dark blue in Beyond Light and green in Witch Queen and then whatever the next darkness flavor was in this campaign (orange resonance?), we'd wrap up the story having Learned The Darkness Alongside Our Light, and we'd wage the big final battle with The Friends We Made Along The Way.

6) More meta thinking - how do you go from the Witch Queen to this incredibly messy Lightfall campaign? You have a narrative team forced to re-write what was supposed to be the last campaign now split into two campaigns and stuff a power acquisition story into a place it wasn't supposed to be. You can't do any big reveals, because those are already all earmarked for The Final Shape, so you somehow cram a campaign in between the shutters on the helm closing and opening.

Anyway, idle random baseless speculation and rambling. Destiny story is nonsense at the best of times, but Lightfall, especially after Witch Queen, misses the mark on so many obvious storytelling rules.

I think what's most annoying is that you can't have your Empire Strikes Back or your Infinity War without clear stakes and clear consequences, and they could have pulled that off here. Instead we got Osiris whining about Strand, sucking up so much oxygen in the story they did tell, and no clear explanation of what the Witness was doing, or why we should care. Frustrating.

I don't know. This is garbage even with an emergency rewrite. Like it took me 30 seconds to come up with a more coherent plot, keeping the same story beats (modifying one or two). It takes extraordinary incompetence to come up with this.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Still locked. Reset the PS5 and their still locked. Guess I’m waiting till 3/7/2024 to play my Strand lock!

Buy the first one available. I had the same problem and it all opened up after that

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

PathAsc posted:

I would love it just to hear Sassathûn sass us even harder than before. The VA is so goddamned good at delivering the character lines and while I'm sad we didn't get more of her I'm also happy bungie didn't run her into the ground.

"Now look down at that little gun in your hand and tell me... what it is you think you're going to do with that thing."

That line has a ton of menace and concern in it, but then you find out the witness is just a guy you can probably shoot with a rocket.

Bungie is okay at writing when they don't need to actually show you what they're writing about.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
So the raid is Vow but with Cabal.

I appreciate that Bungie put the exact same amount of effort into the raid as they did the campaign.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

haveblue posted:

If LF’s difficulty tuning is in response to streamers saying the game is too easy, please ignore streamers in the future

this is a rule every developer should have as a part of their core values

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

studio mujahideen posted:

"Final God Of Pain" is an extremely goofy title for a raid boss

and he's literally just a slightly reskinned tormentor.

like the enemy was cool, but did the raid final boss have to be JUST a tormentor?

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

studio mujahideen posted:

i think he looks similar because theyre related but "lightly reskinned" is just not how those sorts of things work in game dev

no like, it is just a tormentor.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Any disadvantage to using the auto fire accessibility option? I know red orchestra 2 rewarded manual bolting by allowing you to do it faster but I imagine destiny and the virtue of it being an accessibility option doesn't give a poo poo.

Nope, it's straight up better than not having it on.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Pirate Jet posted:

Hoping for the latter while expecting the former, I guess. I know Bungie has a lot of original IPs under development right now and they have Sonybux now but it seems incredibly stupid to be giving up on Destiny while it’s still a most-popular game on every platform it’s on and every expansion outsells the last one. They have me for TFS but if it’s not a significant improvement over Lightfall I think I’m out after that.

Giving up on destiny at this point is the smartest way thing they can do it if they wish to move development focus to other games. Destiny fans will eat it all up, no question. So why not put minimal effort into it? Then by the time Bungie has lost all good will over Destiny, their new game is out and they can let Destiny slide right into obscurity. Gamers, like voters, have memories goldfish put to shame and will immediately hand money over to Bungie's new thing.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

DancingShade posted:

I'm kind of just waiting for the next Marathon. I played so much Destiny 2 over the past few years because I was invested in the narrative. Buildup, payoff, all that. Lightfall faceplanted so hard it retroactively made things worse. I have no faith the story team will draw the light / dark "saga" (their word not mine) to a good closure after this complete garbage tier filler year start.

There's no writing team on the planet who could end the story satisfactorily. The best people in the world could only hope for an inoffensive and disappointing ending. Like, what do you do? Do you do a trite treatise on the importance of balance? Do you kill the witness by shooting him with guns, dunking orbs, and standing on plates? Do the witness and traveler kill each other, take each other out of their game, it something? None of these are good, and they're the only options.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

haveblue posted:

This is how all the other universe-ending existential threats were killed, why are you expecting something different here

Yeah it's just a reason why it would be a disappointing end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is Cuirass of the Fallen Star still the best Arc Titan exotic? I want to get some builds ready next season.

That's Hoil actually. Cuirass is one of the fringe use cases. Because why are you using cuirass in your arc build and not hoil?