Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Lib and let die posted:

I mean look at us, collectively, who wouldn't choose this planet's inhabitants as a very last resort?

Humans. Apparently the only sentient race in the universe that doesn't get physically larger the more powerful they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I have an incredibly stupid, old question that's been bothering me for a while:

What actually was the Taken Meatball?

I know it said "Taken Servitor" but why was it all fleshy?

Also I could have sworn that a voiceover said the Meatball was Riven? I don't think I ever replayed the Forsaken campaign, so I don't recall.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Taken enemies are an inversion of their natural form, and Servitors are Machines That Provide Sustenance

So I guess a Taken Servitor would be a ... meaty alive thing that consumes food?

They're also notably not actually called 'Taken Servitor'. They're either named, or they just go by their species name which is apparently "Chimera" (suggesting they're made of multiple monster parts rather than sourced from one thing)

I don't think we have a good clean answer but it's worth noting that their initial appearances are related to Uldren, who was a real Eliksneeaboo. Specifically during the chapter of his life that the Deep was trying to commune with him, and Savathun was trying to blow him off course. It's no surprise that this is where taken servitors would start popping up.

Variks knew that Prime Servitors created ether, so he wondered if dark ether came from a hypothetical 'Taken Prime Servitor'. He asked Fikrul if he (Fikrul) had betrayed Kaliks Prime to the Taken. Fikrul said he didn't need to, because the scorn don't rely on servitors for dark ether.

Dark ether came into existence when Riven granted Uldren's wish to revive the Eliksni Archon Fikrul, and Riven combined the Darkness in Uldren with the Ether in Fikrul to make Dark Ether which anybody and everybody can use these days to rez dead fallen as Scorn

No coincidence that the first 'Chimera' we see is a Riven creation as well (Voice of Riven), which 'Riven' (Savathun) used to manipulate Uldren and get him kicked out of Disciple Training. Xivu Arath also had a Chimera of her own (the final boss of Forsaken's Broken Courier plot), but it's unknown if she created it, or if it was a gift from Savathun.

The only other 'real' Chimera is a Blind Well boss. The Chimeras in Gambit and Reckoning are not real and were made by The Haul

Something noteworthy - Archons and Prime Servitors had a symbiotic relationship. The 'taken' version of a duo would be a Single Creature. Plus, it not only provides the fleshy bits (the archon), but also plays into the Chimera name. In general it's also not possible to 'Take' machines (Vex are living organic matter, remember) but equipment such as a gun or shield can be 'taken' along with its wielder. Best guess is that any Chimera is a taken Archon & Prime Servitor duo

That is both helpful and interesting, thank you!

Smoove posted:

Any Steam/Destiny gurus that may know a workaround for this. (when you uninstall on steam with cross play it takes it off console too it seems?)
Trying to find what is going on with online fixes and just had to download again on Xbox.

For whatever reason uninstalling both Steam and D2 it keeps pausing the update. Nothing I’ve found online has worked short of going into BIOS settings and playing with those.

Interestingly enough, other stuff on steam loads fine like AimBot though it likes to freeze up too, maybe time to put the rig down and replace it? I’m just massively confused on how it was running so good but now it’s trash.

run sfc /scannow from the command line.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

PERMACAV 50 posted:

https://twitter.com/paultassi/status/1626238015755669504?s=46&t=okIAaCDhbbLGMSak96-l-A

this article’s longer than I thought, I’m still getting through it… Neomuna is a big rear end empty zone with only one LZ

Getting a "but I still love the car!" vibe from that post.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
It was nice of Mr. Bungie to let F2P scum like me play the last mission.

have to lol that the critical moment was still needlessly vague. Did Rasputin succeed in blowing up the warsats? Did the Traveler do it?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
The game gives you brainworms, then you have to keep playing to feed the brainworms.

I thought we all agreed on that?

It's like the hive, but instead of dark insight and superpowers, you get to argue about 0.5% additions to secret weapon stats.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Weebly posted:

Like wtf am I to do as a Titan? Synthoceps? They look like garbage!

The answer is always Skullfort.

Never take off the Skullfort.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Can someone pick up the light, please?

Light all over the floor.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Playing Dares of Eternity:

"Bungie should let Destiny make fun of itself more often."

*Poochie-rear end Silverhawks wannabe hoverboards into a fight.*

"Not like that."

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

'Enemy of Witness on Titan - if still living, preservation is paramount'

BORING suckass gamers are hoping it's the big fish in the water

The Enlightened know that it's Sloane, who has been eradicating the Hive on Titan for 3 years. Ripping and tearing, until it is done

Withness keeps sending Pyramids, she just slices 'em up with her power armor.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Does the specter of Niobe labs still haunt new content?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Mill Village posted:

I love this week's new shader.

I don't know what's happening there, but I like it.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Well crud. Ishtar Collective died, so I am even more lost on what's going on than usual.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

fast cars loose anus posted:

Do you mean the group that was doing it or the site because I am looking at the site right now

Yes. The site is still up, but the discussion has died off, and most of the Lightfall books are empty.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

yeah, GB has been correcting people on this for like half a decade but the Traveler was never going to be evil in the original conception of the story.

I actually think they’ve done a pretty good job of making it understandably grayish? it has a very human mix of altruism and self-preservation

I agree, and am I misremembering Forsaken? Didn't the Traveler literally speak to the player character, and call you a moron because you didn't take Oryx throne world?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, that was Toland, back in the Taken King lore books, and in several D2 appearances. (Which basically started with D2 Dreaming City shattered/taken realm stuff)

I don't think the Traveler would be happy with the PC taking Oryx's throne world.

Was it? I must be misremembering. When you're first unlocking new light sublclasses in Forsaken, you got sent to Io and the tree of silver wings, and a weird, not-Toland voice saying vague destiny-things?

Coulda sworn that was the traveler.

Edit: just imagine the Pepe Silva emote happening as I type this.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

GigaPeon posted:

Destiny 2 is my favorite game I'd never recommend to anyone.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
The biggest Chekov's gun getting used, on one of the more consistently well-written and well-acted characters? Why I never!

RocketRaygun posted:

We're going to get juked. It wont be Savathun, it'll be her taller, green, mustache wearing brother Luigithun

Savathun, but voiced by Nolan North.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

It is, for whatever it's worth, something I think is urgently important to figure out in real life.

If we assign value to systems by their ability to succeed in a competitive environment — which we do, under capitalism, under evolution, even under the stupid but very real ecosystem of ideas and memes — then what do we do when it turns out that the good thing to do is not the same as the competitively successful thing to do?

Do we give up on the good? How do we make a good that can preserve itself in the face of competitive threats (the ring of spears) while still remaining good on the inside? Can being good make us more competitively successful, and if so, how? Is something good if it only guarantees good for those 'within it', inside the ring of spears, or does it also need to generate external good for those who refuse to play by the rules?

How do we promote good people to positions of moral authority, when people who want authority pretend to be good in order to get power, and undercut or outcompete the genuinely good people?

How do we save the planet when our system of organizing society assigns the highest competitive value to things that are destroying the planet?

How do we create systems that reward cooperation, when the payoffs of cooperation make it more and more tempting and profitable to cheat - to free ride, to actively gently caress over other cooperators?

How do we cure cancer when cancer is a failure of cellular morality? What is the difference between a moral and an immoral cell? What does the body do to reward the cooperators and punish the competitors?

How do we make video games we love and care about and enjoy when the metric for a game's success is how well it sells and how many hours of engagement it generates? What happens when 'fun' and 'meaning' begin to decouple from 'sales' and 'engagement'?

It has been disappointing, personally, to see Destiny steer away from these questions. I think they are questions which match the primordial urgency of concepts like 'Light' and 'Darkness'.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Thought about checking in on the new season because my brain needs some cheap dopamine, but lol. lmao.

Listerine posted:

I never enjoyed Blind Well and was disappointed to have to go back there, but what made it a little less awful was running Well of Radiance and dropping it outside the safe spots. You get better sightlines for killing stuff than if you stay inside the safe spot, it keeps you from taking any of the environmental damage, and encourages people to leave the safe zones which speeds up killing the adds.

Didn't we sorta do a bunch of Blind Well in the runup to Witch Queen?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Father Wendigo posted:

And here I thought I was the only one who remembered playing Curse of Osiris back when it launched.

I can't even remember what the endgame loop was supposed to be at the time. Trials of the Nine? Weapons were still fixed rolls, I think? But armor wasn't?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

I liked fixed roll guns.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

Management didn't listen to employees.
Management didn't listen to the community.
Management didn't put enough resources into the game and tried to cut corners constantly.

At this point, Sony replacing the board might be a improvement.

ETA:

Megazver posted:

both oof-ing and yikes-ing here

Yeah, what's the incentive to not have the board replaced? Sounds like layoffs either way.

Also What was the code-name of the other in-development game? Matter?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Reinstalled because my brain needed a cheap dopamine hit.

Core game still so, so good. All the jank on top of it still really, really isn't.

I have no idea what makes an orb anymore, and all the armor mods work on picking up orbs? Whatever, I'm just doing low level stuff, and I don't think I even need to engage with it.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

Join overchill and give people a reason to log in and engage with content

Ask for help

uwaeve posted:

I’m begging u

I'll try and find my discord login. At the moment I'm just having fun playing cookie clicker. Severance Enclosure+ Bonk Titan is indeed barrels of laughs.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Imma Star Baker! That was the easiest title ever, and I appreciate it, Bungie.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

2,000 is a LOT of guys to kill with Dawning weapons. Christ.

The K1 Revelations Lost Sector is right by the Altars of Sorrow, and easier to farm, I find. Also the whole Lunar Battlegrounds area, and the Vex gate area, I never see anyone over there.

IkeTurner posted:

After an innumerable amount of nights with horrific insomnia... I finally did it. Gilded Star Baker. :dumbbravo:

May your brain worms be satiated!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

quote:

Most beloved are the fissioneers, who vaulted us to power on a world without petrochemicals. May they forgive the many stories of horror we have told in their memory. May they in particular forgive the lurid stories of the molten lead reactor, and the twelve who were impaled to the ceiling by their control rods, and the Core That Stalked.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/imponent-i?highlight=core

This is a favorite of mine. From what I gather, the Awoken were rediscovering nuclear energy, and somehow created a sentient reactor that hunts. It crawled out of the Awoken home singularity and has been plaguing Awoken ever since. Maybe it's dead now, since Sjur survived an encounter, and there's a Lost Sector called Aphelion's rest?

We never did get an indication of what the cloaked statues in the Pyramids are supposed to be, did we?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Probably a lot of reasons why not, but it's still weird to me that we never get a new Lost Sector after the initial patrol space debuts.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Just lol that Bungie can only pretend they're trying to keep the lights on going into Final Shoop.

Gun questions - Is there anything that feels like old, broken Recluse?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
The best dungeons were Whisper of the Worm and Zero Hour.

All the actual dungeons have a segment that's overlong or tedious (haven't played the newest one, it could buck the trend).

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

sunday at work posted:

Destiny 2: We Have Learned Nothing

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

They also have the trashed tower environment that hasn't been used since Zero Hour, they could pull that out for a quick hit

They're talking about Onslaught right now, and it seems like, finally, a traditional horde mode. Kill waves of enemies to earn currency, spend the currency on upgrades including traps and defense gadgets, keep going as things get harder

Dang it. Will I have to buy a season for this?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Battuta, are you still lurking? I think you said Bungie didn't hire you to write anything for Final Shape, so I'm not optimistic on the story at atll.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Final Shape twitch stream is starting!

The final shape is... Is...

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Lib and let die posted:

alright I guess it's time for a reinstall

I think I'm ready to be hurt again too.

Does Skullfort still work?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Well I'll be dipped, game good again!

Though I think my favorite part was the storage area for all the tower decorations. Some poor schmo gotta haul out the Iron Banner again.

For support, is Helm of Saint 14 still worthwhile?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think this might be the funniest tweet I have ever read

Lol.

I've just come back, what is a shiny gun?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

TWID is out. They sunsetted sunsetting for Final Shape

:sickos:

Steelfeather!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Crashes and disconects like crazy. Bungie really wants me to go to bed early tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Graviton Lance is absolutely a beast again. Mr. Bungo, help! The guns are too good!