Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

With a new thread we risk losing forever the old lore. Dahbadu, his wife coding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If you're blazing through seasonal content, try and rush the upgrades at the helm to get to the one that says your first focus per week at the helm will have deepsight. They patched it so it's one a day, not one a week, so you can probably still get each of the glaives, if nothing else.

Austringer from Haunted is a great 140 hand cannon obviously, but Sweet Sorrow from Risen looks good if nothing else for the Land Tank intrinsic stacking with Amplified.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 10, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RocketRaygun posted:

"There is a warmind bunker on Europa" is a great example of the problems with their storytelling right now... Yeah, it makes sense in-universe why that would exist and it was probably hinted at in a way, but it came entirely out of left field.
It's weird from a ludonarrative perspective as well - every time over the last 2 years you jumped off behind The Big Giant Head, you got instakilled from fall damage, except now you can jump down there because reasons.

If they do remove falling damage it'll make the situation with long-looking drops even weirder. Some long falls instakill you. Some long falls (like the pre-gorgon drop in VoG) don't, because they were designed for you to use your doublejump. Some will now presumably be designed for you to fall and take no damage. You have no way of knowing which is which.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 11, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'd like to hope they're doing something new and cool and they want it to be a surprise, like presage was, and they just haven't announced it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If Witch Queen is D2's Taken King, that would make Lightfall D2's Rise of Iron?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gambit is what happens when everyone wants a horde mode, but the devs try to be clever and do a horde mode with a twist, to which everyone reacts "no gently caress the twist, we wanted horde mode."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Honestly whoever's in charge of worldbuilding and story needs to go down the hall to the guy in charge of the grind and punch him in the neck.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RocketRaygun posted:

Well, we know that Luke Smith wants an Avengers moment,
Luke Smith hasn't had any say over the game for a while now, and it's the best thing that's ever happened to the franchise.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Despite buying the passes, I have done neither of this year's dungeons. Which is weird because I got myself into a regular routine of doing shat, prophecy and grasp for the pinnacles. Tried pit, but have never been able to get past the point capture bit. Really enjoyed prophecy & grasp as well.

I'm saying this because if I can do those three, you (the goon reading this) can too! Grasp's sparrow section is annoying if you don't have the busted sparrow but apart from that, it's all pretty doable.

I think I just held off duality because it was broken, and then left it so long it mentally became A Whole Thing (and the warlock armour looks like poo poo), and then never did spire for similar reasons (can't be arsed to learn it plus jumping puzzle mid way through).

I feel like I've also spent a lot of time grinding out seasonal bullshit, but there's definitely been something about this year's efforts that has just been really off-putting for casuals who might be tempted to dip their toe.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Isn't he in charge of expanded media properties now? I swear there was a whole thing about him getting moved off to one side and Joe Blackburn almost instantly dropping a twab that undid a bunch of things that had pissed off the playerbase forever.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I tried playing D1 but it's really hard without mantling and class abilities. I don't mean in terms of skill, I mean in terms of really, really missing having those abilities.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can I get feedback from crucible types, seems like what everyone was asking for was less bullshit new modes nobody likes and more maps, and what we're getting is no new maps and at least one new mode nobody asked for?

Opt-in chat is going to kill me and I'm not optimistic about guardian ranks and commendations meaning anything other than the new lfg being populated entirely with "quick raid kwtd, guardian rank 8 + 90 knowledgeable commendations only"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Go nuts, get inventive. Gambit map based on the jumping puzzle from whisper. Wall of dicks crucible map. Exotic version of the Almighty mission from the Red War.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

gently caress, they're going to sell those bonus keys in eververse aren't they?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Design team: we've freed up the mod system so it's less complex. Here's all the new complex ways of priming and detonating enemies that comes with strand, each of which comes from a different ability. We can't wait for you to live your neomuna power fantasy!

Mischievous gremlin: you can only use each ability once every 5 minutes. Supers take half an hour. Also we buffed the 'base difficulty' which means ttk nerf and enemy health buffs, so even when you get your abilities off it won't kill anything. And you'll need to save your grapple for the near-constant jumping puzzles anyyway ehh he he he he hee.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Personally I am going to really, really miss that extra 15% solo damage.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Huh. First time in years I've seen the in-game install screen on playstation.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

WHERES MY loving DOG

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

1350 legendary no matchmaking.

gently caress me...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They're going to have to recap the ending for the people who don't play the seasonal content, because it'd be wild to come back and the traveller is just not there. Like "somehow Palpatine came back" level scene-missing poo poo.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fast cars loose anus posted:

If bungie could never do the "make the seasonal activity a level-capped pain in the rear end" thing again I'd really appreciate it
I've been thinking about this as I'm going over old seasonal activities trying to get as many craftable guns on the missus' account as I can.

Some of the older modes are pretty fun to go through now, since I'm way over their intended light and there's a nice, power fantasy feel to mowing down hordes of enemies, stopping occasionally to deal with champs or miniboss setpieces.

I remember struggling at first with the mindscapes, but along with getting used to how the activity works, there's also your light gets closer to the cap and you get the seasonal boost so you feel more powerful as you play it.

Heists though are a pain in the rear end every time because they're light capped. They don't get easier as the season goes on, they're as annoying as they were the first time. And if I never have to run around that shrieker room hoping someone else managed to solve the loadout puzzle with a long-ranged heavy weapon, i'll be happier for it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Champ discussions are weird because you can spend as much time as you like carefully wording why they aren't fun, are fundamentally a cockblock, force you to use specific guns in the game who's reward structure is 'give you loads of different guns,' and specific ones are even less fun than others (looking at you overload captains and shield servitors); and you still get a bunch of weird little guys coming out of the woodwork to go "ah no they're easy to deal with, you just need to [all the things you just said weren't fun]".

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mill Village posted:

You’ve been playing this game for years. :psyduck:
Yes, because it's fundamentally a very fun game and I'm baffled why they keep putting things in the way of that fun!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Could swear I saw a blurb somewhere about them wanting to unvault some exotic quests as well which has me wondering if I should just grab whatever roll Xur has of that exotic scout he started selling alongside Hawkmoon? They mentioned the quest for Hawkmoon being unvaulted which has me guessing they might be removing them from Xur?
There was mention of an exotic mission playlist coming in lightfall and I know they said dead messenger, presage and seraph station were going to be in the rotation, but I don't remember them saying the hawkmoon mission was getting unvaulted.

It would be odd to move DMT back to presage, but I suppose odder things have happened.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I half remember one of the recent announcements saying there's going to be a way to imbue guns with derpsight* in future, so if you can't get enough red borders to unlock the pattern before lightfall, just make sure you grab a few copies and stick them in the vault in the hope you'll be able to deepsight them at some point in the future.

* Pseudoedit: not correcting it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Been catching up on Psiops battlegrounds, and accidentally pressed R3 to revive a downed guardian.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ohhyeah posted:

How bad are the Leviathan rare spawns? I need most of them plus a couple calus bobble heads for the title.
Most of them could take up to 30 minutes to spawn, but in my experience tend to already be spawned when you get there. The worst ones are the ones who spawn in the pleasure gardens because when I was looking there's one of them that has a stupidly low spawn chance and it's entirely possible for some dickhead with Lament to kill it before you get there.

Does anyone have any advice for the best way to get umbrals? I have more than enough currency to get the rest of the weapon patterns but I'm finding it a real challenge to get enough umbral engrams together.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I personally think they've overestimated how many players can be arsed to have to think about what they're doing all the time, also the first season is going to be a shitshow until they can get loadouts to put things back in the vault.

Also funny to be like 'we care about accessibility, also we are removing the lowest difficulty setting.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Again, i think he's overestimating how much people want to have to 'engage' with the weekly riruals. Here's how much I want to think about them before launching them:

OK, I have 3 of these to do. I haven't used Thorn in a while, that would be fun to use. So if I have thorn, I want a good special ammo to complement it. Glaive or fusion might be good. Which means a precision heavy like an LFR means I'm covered for all ranges. Choose a fun subclass (arc probably) and an exotic that does something fun with that class, and lets go!

He doesn't seem to realise tgat Destiny is already a game where your gun loadout needs to spec in a particular way to cover you for particular use cases, and then he's adding several extra layers of bullshit on top of that.

With the changes I'm reading, if by 'engaging' he means 'you have to pay attention or you die,' you'te now going to have to think about the element you want resistance against, the element you want to use because it does a buffed amount of damage, the weapon type that recieves a damage buff, the champions you need to counter, and all of that on top of strike-specific things you don't know until you land like "wait, the boss is a shrieker so I can't use Lament as my anti-barrier option."

I'm just saying that's a process Destiny 2 lifers are used to by now, so there's a tendency to go "lmao it's easy, just use this gun, this mod, this subclass specced this way, this exotic and play it this way to activate this set of mods;" but incoming players are going to be driven away by how irtitating it is getting shouted at by vets for using the wrong guns, especially in the supposedly 'normal' weekly modes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only people that this will "affect" in any way are the players that are literally not engaging with any of the game mechanics and are just vibing with a gun that goes pew pew and armor that looks cool with like no semlance of a build and zero mods added.
That's all new players who don't understand the game yet, and how long do you think games tend to last when they piss off new players trying to get through the basic activities? Especially when the game is that bad at explaining these systems to new players?

I'm just going off the two people I know IRL who've tried Destiny 2, but my wife just hands the controller to me for activities that have "loadout bullshit" involved, and the other person tried f2p at the start of this season and said "a lot of the peripheral mechanics seem convoluted and messy" and he's someone who's actually into gaming as a challenge.

I'm so glad someone in the last thread came up with the phrase 'loadout puzzle' because it perfectly encapsulates the sphynx riddle the game presents you with when starting a new activity, so that you don't end up stuck trying to take out a sniper with a shotgun and smg, because they're the guns that have champ mods or a buff or a bounty or quest step or need levelling or deepsight extracting or whatever.

And yes, every time it gets brought up, seasoned players laugh at the idea of someone not switching to a bow or bringing a long-range option, but the idea of bringing different weapons for different ranges, or having different weapons with different DPS rates for tougher enemies is something I had to explain to my wife. Most players don't have DIM or the app to transfer from the vault.

There are so many fundamentals we had to learn that we've forgotten we even had to learn them. Destiny already has a loadout puzzle, it doesn't need additional layers piled on top especially for the lowest difficulty tier if they're also removing adept difficulty where you don't have to worry about these things.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The entirety of the in-game loadouts and guardian ranks and journeys with Lightfall are specifically to talk new players through each and every mechanic. Like this is a stated goal of Lightfall, to make learning the game and interacting with the mechanics not complete garbage entirely reliant on third party sites.
I mean yes, hopefully it does adequately teach new players to interact with those systems, but knowing how to deal with those systems doesn't make them less poo poo, and that's my primary gripe.

Having to pass your exams first just seems like a good way to drive out all the casual players and leave yourself with only the most toxic parts of your fanbase.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I honestly can't tell what you're arguing/hoping for here if "we're updating how the game teaches you how to play" is seen as an exam that will drive people away or why should we even cater/care for players that refuse to engage/learn the game.
I'm saying forcing (or encouraging to the point it becomes mandatory) players to restrict their gear to meet arbitrarily set criteria is a bad thing. Knowing how to correctly restrict your loadout does not make the restriction good or even neutral, it's still a bad unfun thing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I am once again asking what exactly do you want out of this game. Or any game for that matter.
Given that it's a game that literally places guns as its chosen reward, I want to be able to use those guns without the game strongarming me instead into using one of two or three specific guns for 3 months.

What I want is fun, I'm not sure how that is a controversial take.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m beginning to think you don’t actually play destiny. Actually let me guess, you REALLY liked Destiny 2 year 1, didn’t you?
Calm down, I like playing it, i'm just not fond of the bullshit I have to do before playing it. Bullshit which doesn't have to be there, and they just wrote a whole article about adding more of.

Shooting mans with cool guns and then blowing them up with space magic is fun. Having to work out which guns allow me to do because I switched activities is not.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It was weird as hell. People noticed that the opening & closing cutscenes seem to have been one single cutscene originally, likely meant to be the 'finale' to the campaign, but at some point they cut it in half and used half as the intro, half as the epilogue.
You could literally cut from the witness reaching toward the traveller in the intro to him carving the bad trongle into it in the outro and nothing of value would be lost.

Also "the traveller is gone," Zavala what do you know that I don't, it's right loving there in orbit.

I've played through it now anyway. I agree with most of BYF's day 1 rant. Story disasterously bad, gameplay still fun, Nimbus is alright.

My alts are just going to have to do without string theory for now.

Meiteron posted:

Warlock, on the other hand, rocks lethality on par with Y5 light 3.0 classes and feels way better in most content so far.
The lethality of strand Warlocks comes mostly from their repeated deaths sailing helplessly off a ledge after getting hit by an incendior and missing their grapple.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Quest terminal has an arbalest exotic quest in it for some reason.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It'd be easier to judge the new difficulty if various mods didn't keep switching themselves off.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/DestinyNostalgi/status/1632429667981434881?t=eXDHZg6A3tuMwwPd9Kes_A&s=19

Kind of nuts to look at that list and compare it to lightfall. Doesn't even mention the entirely new raid and patrol area with multiple different types of secrets and collectables. What do we get with lightfall?

- 1 class
- new mod system
- 3 new exotic weapons
- 6 new exotic armor pieces
- 7 story missions?
- 1 new strike lol
- 1 recycled PVP map (I think)

And it cost a fuckton more.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

dodgeblan posted:

I'm all for dunking on bungie but taken king and lightfall have the same number of new classes you dingus
I'm just trying to imagine Bungie releasing 3 new pvp maps in the remaining lifespan of the game, let alone in one expansion.

Also it cost a shitload less and included all the previous expansions up to that point if you'd never played before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

E: never mind, apparently it is included.