Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

In my opinion we shouldn't instinctively reach for big government solutions. Instead we should seek to defeat murderers at the marketplace of ideas.

Every serial killer should be put to death by being DESTROYED by FACTS and LOGIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

Every serial killer should be put to death by being DESTROYED by FACTS and LOGIC.

Death by torture falls under cruel and unusual I'm afraid

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KitConstantine posted:

What if it’s totally badass

Like they kill and torture criminals in a totally badass/rad way

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

OK, but have you considered the psychic damage that one can incur when someone informs them that the average color of the universe is a shade of beige called Cosmic Latte?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Cthulu Carl posted:

OK, but have you considered the psychic damage that one can incur when someone informs them that the average color of the universe is a shade of beige called Cosmic Latte?

Mocha chocolata ya ya

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

steinrokkan posted:

Out of professional curiosity, how do you stay ahead as a serial killer?

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I imagine cops who are serial killers have an easier time staying ahead

This, and being a trucker that kills PoC sex workers. If nothing else, my interest in true crime has made me a lot more fervent for the rights of sex workers. You want your blood to boil, look up the phrase "No Humans Involved."

It also super hammered into my head the idea that no matter the threat, no matter the weapon, no matter loving what, never EVER comply with a dangerous person trying to take you to a second location.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
LPOTL is good, but i can’t really stomach any of the other ones.

Also pretty sure Henry and Marcus used to at least lurk these forums, based on tidbits of old internet lore they’ve dropped over the years.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Death as entertainment should be shamed out of existence and if some podcaster HAS to talk about it they should talk about the lives and plans for life that were stolen from the victims. Immortalize those stories. Not some human monster’s.

I get legit upset that violence and death are advertised to me in commercials and whatever and that it’s impossible to not see it on tv or browsing Netflix or whatever. And i really really wish i hadn’t been culturally desensitized to it. Ever.

I’ll have an impossible whopper, small onion ring and a dr pepper. Thanks.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

Death as entertainment should be shamed out of existence and if some podcaster HAS to talk about it they should talk about the lives and plans for life that were stolen from the victims. Immortalize those stories. Not some human monster’s.

I get legit upset that violence and death are advertised to me in commercials and whatever and that it’s impossible to not see it on tv or browsing Netflix or whatever. And i really really wish i hadn’t been culturally desensitized to it. Ever.

dude the Romans had the colosseum and gladiators. Public executions were common events that youd bring the whole family to less than a hundred years ago. We are hard wired for this poo poo. But i also totally know what you mean. As i get older i find the casual and gratuitous violence in our culture repellent.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sex Farm posted:

I used to listen to last podcast on the left if the story was interesting but my God i watched Henry Zebrowski's episode of the Characters and it was so negative funny i can't even listen to his voice anymore

their newer stuff is alot better now since they mostly talk about weird different historical events and actually do sources and poo poo and henry is more low key.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
yeah, I've done some terrible things. killed a lot of people. I have a lot to answer for, but looking back on it all, at least *sniff* at least I produced some high-quality content

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

doing that face is worse than any crime they could possibly cover, its the truest of all crimes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

that guy sounds exactly how you think he does.

there are a few good youtube channels that are true crime/trial related but most of it is click bait trash with stupid narration.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Wasn't there a true crime podcaster who received backlash for implying that if the victim they were talking about had bought their sponsor's product, then they'd still be alive? Or did I make that up?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Wait that’s real? Huh, let’s check a recent announcement:

quote:

OBSESSED FEST ‘23 TICKETS NOW AVAILALBE!
TRUE CRIME OBSESSED
DEC 2, 2022 ⋅ 1:55
FAAAAAMMMM!!! Tickets for Obsessed Fest '23 are now live!! Join us in Dallas from October 20 - 22! Come mix and mingle with your favorite true crime podcast hosts (seriously, we're just walking around or drinking at the bar! Grab us for hugs and pictures anytime!) and check out one of a kind panels, meetups, meet & greets, book signings, GILLIAN'S TAYLOR SWIFT SINGALONG, Karaoke, games and more!

PREMIUM-LEBRITY
PACKAGE
$1200
ONLY 75 AVAILABLE!

The Hello Machine posted:

Wasn't there a true crime podcaster who received backlash for implying that if the victim they were talking about had bought their sponsor's product, then they'd still be alive? Or did I make that up?

Lol that sounds real, especially with how many of these shows there are. The Onion “A Very Fatal Murder” had the host asking the grieving parents to do mattress ad reads.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 12, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
true crime poo poo is all copaganda too even if it shows how incompetent or horrible the police are more than the scripted police procedurals, or at least it attracts the same demographic and they consume it and process it the same

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Private Cumshoe posted:

true crime poo poo is all copaganda too even if it shows how incompetent or horrible the police are more than the scripted police procedurals, or at least it attracts the same demographic and they consume it and process it the same

i dunno it seems to mostly be just white ladies in general

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Private Cumshoe posted:

depends on the show at this point. LPOTL tends not to be now a days, others more focus on the killer or the victims or the court poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/@DavesLemonade

this dudes ok.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The Hello Machine posted:

I don't listen to any but lpotl but I somehow heard about some scandal around Sword and Scale for a lot of gross victim blame-y poo poo so if I had to guess, and I do, it was probably him

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

steinrokkan posted:

Out of professional curiosity, how do you stay ahead as a serial killer?

Like I said. Go after the 'less dead'. "No one cares" if someone kills a bunch of sex workers or gay teenage boys. Basically, don't kill white heterosexual people and you're golden for a while.

I speak as if such crimes are akin to trying to find good deals on shopping items or how to have a good hike, which, of course, it is nothing like. Such crimes are like any addiction: you will rapidly need more and more and eventually even the so-called 'most clever' ones will gently caress themselves over enough that even the police will be able to do their jobs. It's been well established by Last Podcast that eventually serial killers enter a 'berserker mode' where any care or study they have is tossed aside in an uncontrollable bloodlust and need to destroy. Ted Bundy is a shining example: he went from almost tactical captures of his victims to ending with rampaging through a sorority with a log (yes, he had technically already been exposed at that point, but still). One of the reasons that infamous Soviet serial killer Andrei Chikatilo managed to claim so many victims was that the Soviet system was SO incompetent at catching him (mainly because of the sociological pressure that serial killers did not exist in the great communist USSR, they were solely a product of the moral decadence of capitalism) that he was basically able to go through MULTIPLE berserker states over the course of decades.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Tldr

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

LPOTL is good, but i can’t really stomach any of the other ones.

Also pretty sure Henry and Marcus used to at least lurk these forums, based on tidbits of old internet lore they’ve dropped over the years.

I like Small Town Murder because the hosts seem to have lived real lives (both were victims of a bad crime) and humour is used as a way to make light of how loving lovely the whole system can be. They also make a point of saying "we often stay away from Southern and pre civil rights era cases because it's like 'black 70 IQ guy in Alabama convicted off of one eye witness conviction, executed"

Pietragallo had his grandma killed by a random drug addict. I feel I don't need to explain how humour can be made to cope with the bad here

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Thread is rapidly turning into a murder podcast

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that guy sounds exactly how you think he does.
I'm imagining a slightly more nasal Patton Oswalt, how did I do?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Thread is rapidly turning into a murder podcast

Better tune in!!!!!!!!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jelly posted:

I'm imagining a slightly more nasal Patton Oswalt, how did I do?

you know the french mistake scene from blazing saddles, picture that but more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcDrN1y1Qqc

they used to be broadway podcasters until they decided to do this for a lark.

i only recommend 4 true crime things, daves lemonade, this is monsters, the dreadning(actually really good despite the name) and last podcast on the last(first hundred or so are skipable).

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 12, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lolol holy hell

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

I think it's partially an (incredibly stupid) way of dealing with knowledge of horrible crimes - build it up into a wild mythology where the killers are invincible divinely-touched apex predators rather than some nasty creeper who could have been locked up years ago if anyone had bothered.

E: then you can just revel in the horrific details until you become comfortably numb to them.

The final stage is that you then inflict a blow by blow description on innocent observers (me) and delight in their discomfort and horror.

thats what i hate the most, most of the big seral killers got lucky or were smart enough to evade cops who didnt give because either the killers victims were "the less dead" or because cops being cops. most a either hosed up pathetic sociopaths or weird perverts who jerk off to super hosed up poo poo and eventually one of their games goes to far and they accidently kill someone and realize they have a new fetish.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you know the french mistake scene from blazing saddles, picture that but more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcDrN1y1Qqc

they used to be broadway podcasters until they decided to do this for a lark.

i only recommend 4 true crime things, daves lemonade, this is monsters, the dreadning(actually really good despite the name) and last podcast on the last(first hundred or so are skipable).

That was actually way worse than I could have imagined.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jelly posted:

That was actually way worse than I could have imagined.

i know right. like just watching that and other videos. you can tell its just a weird fun party to them and its loving weird and gross. "i mean then the little girl got murdered with a brick as she cried for her mother and i was like HONEY you should see my rent, thats real murder"

i like my true crime either dark humored but actually education and not dickish OR pretty straight forward with lots of primary source material(not just interogation tapes) the ones i recomend cover that pretty well.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

This is going to sound angry and directed at you, wild Turkey specifically but it’s not.
I don’t care what the Romans did. I don’t care how it was thought of a hundred years ago (though i can’t imagine the violence in our media today would be tolerated that many decades back). I care what’s happening to us right now.
Besides, you had to go TO the gladiator matches, you had to travel TO the gallows to be entertained by death and violence. It is inescapable today even if you’re trying not to see it. It’s pervasive on a ridiculous level. It’s wrong and abhorrent.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Crime doesn’t pay

Talking about crime over the internet? Brotha that pays

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

This is going to sound angry and directed at you, wild Turkey specifically but it’s not.
I don’t care what the Romans did. I don’t care how it was thought of a hundred years ago (though i can’t imagine the violence in our media today would be tolerated that many decades back). I care what’s happening to us right now.
Besides, you had to go TO the gladiator matches, you had to travel TO the gallows to be entertained by death and violence. It is inescapable today even if you’re trying not to see it. It’s pervasive on a ridiculous level. It’s wrong and abhorrent.

Yeah but there's lots of entertainment options now that aren't watching paint dry

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Private Cumshoe posted:

Cops work really hard ok, how could you expect them to prevent every murder. There's like ten murders every day.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

what about call of duty tho

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

this is what awaits you in the hereafter after a misspent life.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Cornwind Evil posted:

Like I said. Go after the 'less dead'. "No one cares" if someone kills a bunch of sex workers or gay teenage boys. Basically, don't kill white heterosexual people and you're golden for a while.

I speak as if such crimes are akin to trying to find good deals on shopping items or how to have a good hike, which, of course, it is nothing like. Such crimes are like any addiction: you will rapidly need more and more and eventually even the so-called 'most clever' ones will gently caress themselves over enough that even the police will be able to do their jobs. It's been well established by Last Podcast that eventually serial killers enter a 'berserker mode' where any care or study they have is tossed aside in an uncontrollable bloodlust and need to destroy. Ted Bundy is a shining example: he went from almost tactical captures of his victims to ending with rampaging through a sorority with a log (yes, he had technically already been exposed at that point, but still). One of the reasons that infamous Soviet serial killer Andrei Chikatilo managed to claim so many victims was that the Soviet system was SO incompetent at catching him (mainly because of the sociological pressure that serial killers did not exist in the great communist USSR, they were solely a product of the moral decadence of capitalism) that he was basically able to go through MULTIPLE berserker states over the course of decades.

:staredog:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol yeah tldr might be reasonable occasionally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Isentropy posted:

I like Small Town Murder because the hosts seem to have lived real lives (both were victims of a bad crime) and humour is used as a way to make light of how loving lovely the whole system can be. They also make a point of saying "we often stay away from Southern and pre civil rights era cases because it's like 'black 70 IQ guy in Alabama convicted off of one eye witness conviction, executed"

Pietragallo had his grandma killed by a random drug addict. I feel I don't need to explain how humour can be made to cope with the bad here

I like small town murder. Theyre both assholes who are completely disinterested in sucking off cops and more interested in making sometimes funny jokes.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 12, 2023