Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol do you guys remember when Caesar Augustus broke S? Well he’s a dead motherfucker now. :haibrower:

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
There is a whole bunch of podcasters making podcasts about serial killers, but there doesn't seem to even be one serial killer making podcasts about podcasters.

Quite frankly I don't think that's fair at all!!!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I got a gold star for listening to the vampire of Sacramento episode of Last pod.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shinjobi posted:

:same:

I do appreciate that they always try to keep the framing around serial killers as being pathetic weirdos deserving of humiliation and scorn as opposed to this otherworldly fear like these people are cartoon supervillains or something.

It's already been mentioned how stupid police often are, but even then serial killers are often caught by coincidence or galaxy brain idiocy undoing everything. They're not a James Bond super genius.

I like that these guys that make dick and cum jokes constantly are more respectful and empathetic towards the victims of killers than any other true crime podcast i am aware of

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

i hate these podcasts where the hosts are just tryna make each other laugh all the time. love having stuff interrupted for another tepid geek humour bit.
i dunno how unbearable the ones run by actual lushes are with this but i assume it's similarly so
ones where it's some lone guy telling the facts in a monotone? yeah, that's what podcasting was made for

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For sure it also has the overconfident wrestler & the Pointer Brothers.

Tried watching the HBO show about the Golden State Killer, Patton Oswalt was trying to give his wife credit for solving the case and it veered between retelling their love story & describing every detail of how the killer dispatched a victim and I turned it off as it felt creepily voyeuristic. You’d better believe one of the My Favorite Murder hosts was popping in with commentary.

Had to look this up and welp

My Favorite Murder is the original hit true crime comedy podcast hosted by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark. Since its inception in January 2016, the show has broken global download records and sparked an enthusiastic and dedicated community of listeners, aka Murderinos.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean I have read about serial killers for years, but I prefer the solved cases, and more of how they got caught, which very rarely has to do with the police doing their loving jobs. I admit I did enjoy the Dahmer show on Netflix, but I know a lot of people thought the ending was flat. Well dude, his ending was flat, there was no mass shootout with cops where only bad guys get hurt, and no snappy one liners, the dude was beat to death by a loving mop.

I don't listen to murder podcasts because it seems way more clickbaity than anything else. "So goblins, today I have a super tasty serial killer story for you! Gary the Scary wanted to have kids so he kept women chained in his basement! How non-like it that! And he fed them dog food! Anyway, back after a word from our sponsor, Temu.com!"

I like how the Night Strangler was finally caught and literally curb stomped by a random mob, and the police had to save him

Thank you random mob for your service

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cornwind Evil posted:

Like I said. Go after the 'less dead'. "No one cares" if someone kills a bunch of sex workers or gay teenage boys. Basically, don't kill white heterosexual people and you're golden for a while.

I speak as if such crimes are akin to trying to find good deals on shopping items or how to have a good hike, which, of course, it is nothing like. Such crimes are like any addiction: you will rapidly need more and more and eventually even the so-called 'most clever' ones will gently caress themselves over enough that even the police will be able to do their jobs. It's been well established by Last Podcast that eventually serial killers enter a 'berserker mode' where any care or study they have is tossed aside in an uncontrollable bloodlust and need to destroy. Ted Bundy is a shining example: he went from almost tactical captures of his victims to ending with rampaging through a sorority with a log (yes, he had technically already been exposed at that point, but still). One of the reasons that infamous Soviet serial killer Andrei Chikatilo managed to claim so many victims was that the Soviet system was SO incompetent at catching him (mainly because of the sociological pressure that serial killers did not exist in the great communist USSR, they were solely a product of the moral decadence of capitalism) that he was basically able to go through MULTIPLE berserker states over the course of decades.

I understand your approach, but personally I feel putting safety and risk above all strips the endeavour of a lot of its artistry. But to each their own

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quoting so you have to see it again

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

When have they ever done a weird podcast about murder?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Theotus posted:

When have they ever done a weird podcast about murder?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

It hasn't been officially confirmed.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Theotus posted:

the murder or the podcast?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Theotus posted:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Semen Rodassed

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ok, now that's uncalled for

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
They don't make murder podcasts, they make podcasts about murder. You make a murder podcast, you're getting arrested after episode one. Unless nobody watches it, which I suppose is a very real possibility.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nigmaetcetera posted:

They don't make murder podcasts, they make podcasts about murder. You make a murder podcast, you're getting arrested after episode one. Unless nobody watches it, which I suppose is a very real possibility.

Anuscast

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lil stinkers is the best podcast about killers because it focuses on the funny things they did

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Shageletic posted:

My Favorite Murder is the original hit true crime comedy podcast hosted by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark. Since its inception in January 2016, the show has broken global download records and sparked an enthusiastic and dedicated community of listeners, aka Murderinos.

My wife loves this one and I can't stand. It's women drunk on wine, swearing, making unfunny jokes, and using people's death for light hearted entertainment.

Why are there so many women into this stuff? There is that documentary on Netflix with that Louie Theroux clone guy, and he goes on a Jeffrey Dahmer walking tour in Milwaukee. The while tour is filled with women whooping it up.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The Grey posted:

My wife loves this one and I can't stand. It's women drunk on wine, swearing, making unfunny jokes, and using people's death for light hearted entertainment.

Why are there so many women into this stuff? There is that documentary on Netflix with that Louie Theroux clone guy, and he goes on a Jeffrey Dahmer walking tour in Milwaukee. The while tour is filled with women whooping it up.

I don't normally go in on true crime Podcasts either, but the first season of Serial was really good specifically because it wasn't any of those things. I liked it a lot.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Theotus posted:

I don't normally go in on true crime Podcasts either, but the first season of Serial was really good specifically because it wasn't any of those things. I liked it a lot.

I feel like there is a major difference between a serious investigative podcast like Serial and a yuk it up podcast like My Favorite Murder.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The Grey posted:

I feel like there is a major difference between a serious investigative podcast like Serial and a yuk it up podcast like My Favorite Murder.

Oh 100%. I agree. My Favorite Murder is trash, so are most garbo "friends riffing about serial killer" podcasts, but there's some good ones out there, is all I was trying to say.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The Grey posted:

Sometimes it's because women are so heavily on the receiving end of such violence. Reading about violent people can help you avoid the "mistakes" of others, like how hitchhiking went from extremely popular in the 70's to something you avoid at all costs today because of highly publicized cases like Bundy and Kemper. The Gift of Fear is considered a self-help book because it advocates instinct, details how predatory people think and operate, lists warning signs that someone is trying to manipulate you, and gives you ideas on how best to escape an escalating situation. There's even a section on how to handle stalkers. You learn about what killers target and what they avoid.

And then other women are drama junkies and think they could fix Alcala with kisses. Those women are gross. Maybe your wife is gross. :(

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean, if you too lived in a soulless suburban white-beige hygge home with live laugh love plastered everywhere, perhaps you would also seek anything that would remind you of the sweet release of death.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like my true crime either dark humored but actually education and not dickish OR pretty straight forward with lots of primary source material(not just interogation tapes) the ones i recomend cover that pretty well.

Yeah like if it's a bitter, sardonic humor, it can be appropriate imo.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

The Grey posted:

They're hammering very sheltered people with "the cops suck" all day every day which is great

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Das Boo posted:

Sometimes it's because women are so heavily on the receiving end of such violence. Reading about violent people can help you avoid the "mistakes" of others, like how hitchhiking went from extremely popular in the 70's to something you avoid at all costs today because of highly publicized cases like Bundy and Kemper. The Gift of Fear is considered a self-help book because it advocates instinct, details how predatory people think and operate, lists warning signs that someone is trying to manipulate you, and gives you ideas on how best to escape an escalating situation. There's even a section on how to handle stalkers. You learn about what killers target and what they avoid.

And then other women are drama junkies and think they could fix Alcala with kisses. Those women are gross. Maybe your wife is gross. :(

This argument p much falls apart as soon as you realize they habitually consume it like junk food

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
GBS hates women who love serial killers

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I am very into investigative podcasts about human interests and human rights cases, but the true crime podcast and YouTube industry that has popped up that's just people reading wiki articles and riffing is indeed disgusting AF and massively disrespectful to the victims, who are treated like sideshow attractions. These are real people, not characters in a show for you to dish about. gently caress you, My Favorite Murder and the like.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

This argument p much falls apart as soon as you realize they habitually consume it like junk food

It's reasonable to cover a wide range of cases. You're not going to learn everything from just covering a few because helpful advice can pop up just about anywhere. But if you're obsessed with everything involving a specific serial killer, then you're in Group Gross.

But as an example, every time I hear about a case where the cops blatantly lie about a 24 hour/42 hour/72 waiting period before investing a disappearance, it further cements in my brain that I need to raise absolute cain if I'm ever told that. Which goes against every instinct I have.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
E: Quote is not edit, lol

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 15 days!)

i thought people who love this stuff have lives which are mostly safe and a bit boring so it's a harmless way to seek some excitement. people don't just want to think happy and healthy 100% of the time because there's nothing to compare it to.

i think it mostly gets treated as fiction with the occasional 'oooh it actually happened' thought thrown in. it's easier to write stories based on true events because you don't have to invent them, and the audience can get invested in things more easily because they don't have to think 'well that wouldn't happen' because it did.

i don't think it really hurts anybody to have some mythology about decades old far away serial killers. if these people actually met one they'd probably react appropriately. maybe if it's a more recent case where the people involved are still processing then it's sleazy but otherwise, who cares.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Has anyone ever been to "Zak Bagans Haunted Museum" in Las Vegas?

Zak Bagans is a guy from one of those garbage ghost hunting shows. I thought the museum sounded interesting at first, as it has a bunch of supposedly cursed objects. But it turns out they have a bunch of murderobilia. Bloody mattresses where people were killed on, some kettle that a cannibal used to cook people, Chris Farley polaroids, and Jack Kevorkians van. So gross.

I find fictional horror stories and supernatural stuff fun, but anything based on real life is beyond disrespectful to the victims and their families.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Dudes love war movies. We're all fu ked up

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Shageletic posted:

Dudes love war movies. We're all fu ked up

Generally if u present obsessive interest in historical mass murderers or atrocities people think ur weird as poo poo. It's one thing to engage in fiction that's depicting something to (hopefully) make a point and another to display morbid interest in what is essentially just dry readings of people's worst torment.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Anyway since I'm absolutely insane here's a list of curated investigative podcasts that are well-researched by actual journalists and who are respectful of the victims and the subject matter. Serial isn't on this list bc that poo poo is trash.

In The Dark - the cream of the crop in terms of this genre:
https://features.apmreports.org/in-the-dark/

Buried Truths - Civil Rights era cold cases
https://www.wabe.org/shows/buried-truths/

White Lies - the death of Rev James Reeb and the subsequent conspiracy theories white people came up with to avoid responsibility and deny racial injustice:
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510343/white-lies

The Trojan Horse Affair - the story of a Sharia scare in the UK in the mid 2010s that was sparked by pretty much nothing:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/podcasts/trojan-horse-affair.html

Dead End: A New Jersey Political Murder Mystery - a supposed murder-suicide in NJ looks to be a politically motivated killing. Digs deep into the NJ political machine.
https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/dead-end

Someone Knows Something - several seasons, all helping people try and resolve unsolved cases, some making breaks.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/sks

Uncover - another show with several seasons, all varying widely but all quite good:
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/uncover

The Dream - the history of MLMs in the US, and why they won't ever leave
https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-dream

American Rehab - how drug rehab center Cenikor and similar businesses are taking the folks who are checked in and forcing them to work for free with no compensation. That's slavery, y'all.
https://revealnews.org/american-rehab/

Mississippi Goddamn: The Ballad of Billy Joe - the death of a young black man at a traffic stop is ruled a suicide, which seems pretty unlikely!
https://revealnews.org/mississippi-goddam/

Missing & Murdered - Missing & Murdered indigenous women often aren't investigated. This seeks to right that wrong:
https://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/program/missing-and-murdered

The below are a little more sensational/infotainment but still pretty solid and bring light to abuses of power:

To Catch & Kill - Ronan Farrow's investigation into Harvey Weinstein:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-catch-and-kill-pobdcast-with-ronan-farrow/id1487730212

Hunting Warhead - taking down one of the world largest CSA materials distributors:
https://www.cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podcasts/387-hunting-warhead

Hunting Ghislaine - John Sweeney profiles Ghislaine Epstein - this was made before the trial, and then he has a second companion podcast which follows the trial:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/hunting-ghislaine-with-john-sweeney/id1539949999

Hunting Ghislaine: The Trial
https://www.globalplayer.com/podcasts/42Ktor/

The Dropout - the story of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos:
https://abcaudio.com/podcasts/the-dropout/

The Missing Cryptoqueen - the story of the OneCoin Crypto Scam
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07nkd84

A Death in Cryptoland - another potential crypto scam, or murder:
https://www.cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podcasts/904-a-death-in-cryptoland

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 12, 2023

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

slurm posted:

They're hammering very sheltered people with "the cops suck" all day every day which is great

Except for the cops that they like whose podcasts are on their network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Anyway since I'm absolutely insane here's a list of curated investigative podcasts that are well-researched by actual journalists and who are respectful of the victims and the subject matter. Serial isn't on this list bc that poo poo is trash.

Whoa thanks for sharing I’ve got some listening to do. I like how for the crypto scams they have to be very specific about which scam they are detailing.

It’s interesting how most times when amateurs try to insert themselves into investigations they either waste police time or whip up hysteria against totally innocent folk (Reddit & the Idaho killings), but in the subgenre of cold cases involving bodies of water and YouTubers with free time and dive equipment they are helpful.

quote:

Scuba-Diving YouTuber Finds Car Linked to Teens Missing Since 2000
A YouTuber who investigates cold cases found a missing Tennessee teenager’s car submerged in a nearby river. It is at least the fourth such discovery by amateur investigators in two months.

A YouTuber who uses underwater sonar equipment to investigate missing persons cases found a car belonging to two Tennessee teenagers who have been missing for 21 years, potentially bringing an end to the cold case.

It is at least the fourth time since late October that people who investigate cold cases on YouTube have dived and found a submerged vehicle belonging to a missing person.

The teenagers, Erin Foster and Jeremy Bechtel, both of Sparta, Tenn., were last seen on April 3, 2000, leaving Erin’s home in her 1988 Pontiac Grand Am.

Late last month, Jeremy Sides, 42, who runs the YouTube account Exploring With Nug, searched nearby lakes for a few days before turning his attention to Calfkiller River. Shortly before nightfall on Nov. 30, his sonar device showed that his boat was floating above a car-shaped object. He spent the night in his van, then dived to identify the car’s make and license plate number first thing the next morning. It was a match for Erin’s missing Pontiac.

Mr. Sides documented the discovery in a 20-minute YouTube video that includes his phone call to Steve Page, the sheriff of White County, to report the findings. In the video, the sheriff meets Mr. Sides at the site and expresses his thanks: “You just became White County’s hero.”

In a brief telephone interview, the sheriff said that divers recovered human remains on Thursday but that they had not been positively identified. “We do believe it’s them,” Sheriff Page said on Friday. “We found articles that came out of the car and was in the water that leads us to believe it’s them.”

Jeremy Bechtel’s father, Ron Bechtel, said that although the investigation was continuing, the authorities told him that they now thought Jeremy and Erin, who were 17 and 18, had been in a car accident.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/10/...&smid=share-url