Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

I don’t care how it was thought of a hundred years ago (though i can’t imagine the violence in our media today would be tolerated that many decades back)

the level of violence people like in their entertainment has gone up and down in various cultures over the years but it's hard to think of a time when it's ever gone away or when "death as entertainment" didn't take some common form in many societies.

specifically, if you go "many decades back" you would find exactly the same type of content in today's "murder podcasts" instead in true crime books (think Truman Capote etc.) or in detective magazines, or in certain genres of dimestore novels. go back earlier, to the 19th century, and you get people going to public hangings for fun.

you are right that the main difference is that due to the nature of media technology, this stuff is now more "in the face" of people who aren't interested in it than in previous points in history. but this is an issue of the delivery mechanism, not the content. it's hard to concieve of any reality in which this type of entermainment or fascination is "shamed away" given how very widespread it's been throughout so many cycles of human behavior. i hope that you find ways to avoid it and i hope that companies like netflix et. al. get less single-minded about it, but i don't see it going away anytime soon.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah like if it's a bitter, sardonic humor, it can be appropriate imo.

yeah. the worst are either the weird overly gross exploity ones or the weird glam types.

The Grey posted:

Has anyone ever been to "Zak Bagans Haunted Museum" in Las Vegas?

Zak Bagans is a guy from one of those garbage ghost hunting shows. I thought the museum sounded interesting at first, as it has a bunch of supposedly cursed objects. But it turns out they have a bunch of murderobilia. Bloody mattresses where people were killed on, some kettle that a cannibal used to cook people, Chris Farley polaroids, and Jack Kevorkians van. So gross.

I find fictional horror stories and supernatural stuff fun, but anything based on real life is beyond disrespectful to the victims and their families.

the only creepy itiem i like is rober the doll. like its some weird old as gently caress toy that some local artist and is "haunted" or something. its basicaly just used to keep a small town museum/center open. so thats nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr3mJm75928

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Earwicker posted:

the level of violence people like in their entertainment has gone up and down in various cultures over the years but it's hard to think of a time when it's ever gone away or when "death as entertainment" didn't take some common form in many societies.

specifically, if you go "many decades back" you would find exactly the same type of content in today's "murder podcasts" instead in true crime books (think Truman Capote etc.) or in detective magazines, or in certain genres of dimestore novels. go back earlier, to the 19th century, and you get people going to public hangings for fun.

you are right that the main difference is that due to the nature of media technology, this stuff is now more "in the face" of people who aren't interested in it than in previous points in history. but this is an issue of the delivery mechanism, not the content. it's hard to concieve of any reality in which this type of entermainment or fascination is "shamed away" given how very widespread it's been throughout so many cycles of human behavior. i hope that you find ways to avoid it and i hope that companies like netflix et. al. get less single-minded about it, but i don't see it going away anytime soon.

yeah. i think the issue is for every good true crime author or podcast, there are like 30 bad or dumb ones.

id recommend harold schecter and jack olsen.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I used to listen to true crime podcasts, but then I got more into fiction podcasts and now my son and I make inside jokes about Welcome to Night Vale and it annoys my wife.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

yeah I agree op. bloodlust is gross

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It's odd to me because I cannot listen to murder podcasts etc. It's just too much. But I can definitely listen to every episode of lions led by donkeys which has some detailed cruelty but listening to women being murdered by men which is most of the murder podcasts focus. Or men murdering men.

I just can't listen to the level of detail. I tried to watch mind hunter not knowing really what it was. I got to the fat gently caress talking about his murders and just had every fiber of my being forcing me to the. That poo poo off. I had the same experience with the show The Maid.

This is probably a deep childhood memory of my mother being violently abused by her first husband but I just can't watch or listen to violence against women in the detail that these shows or podcasts portray. It's pretty loving horrifying to glorify that poo poo.

That guy's performance is some of the best acting in television. And I think acting is very easy and trivial. But that guy did an amazing job.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Not a podcast, but the best "true crime" media ever produced was I Survived... I use quotations because in addition to violent crime survivors, it covered survivors of natural disasters, animal attacks, accidents, etc. No schlocky reenactments or catty commentary, just the subject telling you their story against a black background. The only thing that stops it from being something you can purely listen to is some additional information occasionally being conveyed via text. All the survivors volunteer their stories and often do so as a form of advocacy, which means it's not exploitative of the subjects.

loving hell, that was a riveting show.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Das Boo posted:

Not a podcast, but the best "true crime" media ever produced was I Survived... I use quotations because in addition to violent crime survivors, it covered survivors of natural disasters, animal attacks, accidents, etc. No schlocky reenactments or catty commentary, just the subject telling you their story against a black background. The only thing that stops it from being something you can purely listen to is some additional information occasionally being conveyed via text. All the survivors volunteer their stories and often do so as a form of advocacy, which means it's not exploitative of the subjects.

loving hell, that was a riveting show.

wasn't there a show about people who got tapeworms and various other parasites on history or discovery? nothing harrowing, just "hey, i shat out some worms one time"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah it owned. One guy got a leech stuck up his nose in rural Tibet, and :unsmigghh:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Buce posted:

wasn't there a show about people who got tapeworms and various other parasites on history or discovery? nothing harrowing, just "hey, i shat out some worms one time"

Monsters Inside Me or something like that?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
You're thinking of Xtreme Assworms on HGTV

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Das Boo posted:

Sometimes it's because women are so heavily on the receiving end of such violence. Reading about violent people can help you avoid the "mistakes" of others, like how hitchhiking went from extremely popular in the 70's to something you avoid at all costs today because of highly publicized cases like Bundy and Kemper. The Gift of Fear is considered a self-help book because it advocates instinct, details how predatory people think and operate, lists warning signs that someone is trying to manipulate you, and gives you ideas on how best to escape an escalating situation. There's even a section on how to handle stalkers. You learn about what killers target and what they avoid.

And then other women are drama junkies and think they could fix Alcala with kisses. Those women are gross. Maybe your wife is gross. :(

This makes sense to an extent but like- you had women showing up to Bundy trials cosplaying victims or women sending Ramirez dozens of nudes in jail.

Then again if there was a famous hot woman killer would she be getting dick pics and prison proposals? Yeah probably. I dare say definitely.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This makes sense to an extent but like- you had women showing up to Bundy trials cosplaying victims or women sending Ramirez dozens of nudes in jail.

Then again if there was a famous hot woman killer would she be getting dick pics and prison proposals? Yeah probably. I dare say definitely.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mugshawtys/status/1626605102810406913

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"I can fix her."

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i listen to a bunch of podcasts and there are some murder ones but i spend two hours commuting each day so dont judge me op!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

jokes posted:

"I can fix her."

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Side-related but I had Last Podcast on the Left recommended to me.. I liked some of the episodes, some weren't so great, and then I remember at work listening to one that was supposedly going to be about like, MS-13 or Mexican death-cult cartel gangs or something. So they explain how in researching it, they realized it's bad and there would be a very real possibility of violent, lethal reprisal if they did, so instead..

The main guy whatever-the-gently caress reads some stomach churning Marquis de Sade-esque thing about (NMS spoiler for even giving the lightest possible description about it. Seriously. Referring to young girls) :nms:turning prepubescent girls into living sex dolls by amputating their limbs and worse things. In extreme detail:nms:. I never went back. gently caress that podcast for even giving such poo poo an audience outside creeps reading that kind of vile poo poo online on some hellhole corner of the web.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Let people enjoy things.

Murder podcasts are just death metal for people who don’t listen to music.

Quick! Cannibal Corpse lyrics or podcast transcript?:

Knock him out with chloroform
Surreptitious trapping tack
Drag the body to the trunk
Take the captive to the house and down into the basement
Binding method is extreme
Unconscious I will pierce the hands and feet
Arms and legs nailed to the wood
Beneath the table is forming shallow pools
Perforate the abdomen
Punctured organs start to fail
Mounting pain revives the man
His gaze meets mine then panic starts, the nails leave him immortalized
Head is thrashing from the pain
I must nail it to wood with long sharp nails
Penetration of the flesh
Five dozen nails will hold him down
Five nails
My hammer pounds them, the steel secures him
Five nails
My victim conscious, he is immobile
I raise my hammer, and aim for the throat
Five nails through the neck
Trachea is torn
Gasping sounds are heard
Life is leaving him
But not soon enough
Agony, tortuous
Long nails penetrate
Through the flesh and bone
Table dripping blood
Victim full of holes
Suffer, merciless
Five nails through the
Sixty nails adorn the fool
Twelve on each leg and arm
Four of them aerate his face
Three puncture his abdomen and leave his vitals oozing
I step back and view my work
Torture victim lies drained of life
Outside world will never know
How many nails the victim felt before he died

Cannibal Corpse, ya dummy

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

podcasts are for people who dont know good music!!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gah!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Earwicker posted:

Hearst newspapers paid HH Holmes for his (apparently bullshit) jailhouse confession, and he’s not the only one that got that kind of deal. There has always been some mainstream fascination with murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
GBS hates murder podcasts not because of all the murder :ssh: