Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
The highly anticipated Harry Potter game "Hogwarts Legacy" debuted this week, and it's attracted largely postive reviews. However, some fans and gamers are boycotting the game in protest of J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter novel series who has a history of making comments offensive to the transgender community and stands to earn royalties from game sales (though she was not involved in the game’s creation).

Some popular game review sites like Kotaku, Polygon and Eurogamer have not yet reviewed Hogwarts Legacy despite the review embargo lifting Monday, while others have denounced J.K. Rowling’s comments and voiced support for transgender people in their reviews. Additionally, a number of notable online celebrities are boycotting the streaming site Twitch which is known for its video game-related content for hosting ads for Hogwarts Legacy, urging streamers to join in halting use of the platform until the ad campaign is suspended.

What are your thoughts, GBS? Will you be boycotting the game? Do you think it's reasonable to give up a form of entertainment in solidarity of the harm JK Rowling continues to enact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wizard Master posted:

The highly anticipated Harry Potter game "Hogwarts Legacy" debuted this week, and it's attracted largely postive reviews. However, some fans and gamers are boycotting the game in protest of J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter novel series who has a history of making comments offensive to the transgender community and stands to earn royalties from game sales (though she was not involved in the game’s creation).

Some popular game review sites like Kotaku, Polygon and Eurogamer have not yet reviewed Hogwarts Legacy despite the review embargo lifting Monday, while others have denounced J.K. Rowling’s comments and voiced support for transgender people in their reviews. Additionally, a number of notable online celebrities are boycotting the streaming site Twitch which is known for its video game-related content for hosting ads for Hogwarts Legacy, urging streamers to join in halting use of the platform until the ad campaign is suspended.

What are your thoughts, GBS? Will you be boycotting the game? Do you think it's reasonable to give up a form of entertainment in solidarity of the harm JK Rowling continues to enact?

Who loving cares? It's a Harry Potter game

naem
May 29, 2011

is it 2011 already

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Wizard Master

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
someone post that screenshot of the steam group "gamers boycotting COD" where like half the group are in the game

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
i thought prisoner of azkaban was cool when i was in 4th grade but this game doesnt look interesting and i read online that it has a bunch of antisemitic stuff in it related to goblins

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Wizard Master posted:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Whizz ard master bator

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
i refuse to play this game in solidarity with trans people

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

gently caress u wizard mastr

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Scared, Potter?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Stfu

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Who loving cares? It's a Harry Potter game

This plus it's an easy way for people to stay in their pajamas, shout on twitter and feel good about being an ally despite never doing anything else to support trans people.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

suck my wizard dick

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Buce posted:

suck my wizard dick

stop it ron, stop it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Just Chamber posted:

This plus it's an easy way for people to stay in their pajamas, shout on twitter and feel good about being an ally despite never doing anything else to support trans people.

I think you might be a dumbass

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWtO0cfgewY

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

You're a wizard, Harry!

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The game looks like poo poo, the team that made it is headed by an avowed white supremacist, and jk Rowling is a terf

It's bad op, and I don't think I'll play it

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
gently caress you

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
gimli would never fight side by side with an elf, or a friend.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Like most people I have given the new harry potter game lots of thought and have developed some very strong opinions.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I would like to share my thoughts with you OP, but this is the 1st time I'm hearing of a Harry Potter game.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
well obviously if you play this game you are literally hitler or worse

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

KitConstantine posted:

The game looks like poo poo, the team that made it is headed by an avowed white supremacist, and jk Rowling is a terf

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QUITE CONTROVERSIAL

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hairy Blotter and the Cat's Acid Trip

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hardly Stutter and the Speech Therapist's Success

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

C a m e r o n I s g o d

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hardly Smugworth and the Day the Forums Were Good

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Don't care, playing something good

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Hardly Smugworth and the Day the Forums Were Good

Henry Hairytaint and The Final Fantasy Catboy

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

What are YOUR thoughts OP

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I won’t be buying the game because Harry Potter is lame as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl befriender
Sep 22, 2014

by vyelkin
the only hog warts i care about are of the malignant kind, as per my pigs testicles.