Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I had been wondering how much other people on this island could remember the loops. Was hard to tell whether they all believed First Day was the actual first day, or were just being ironic about every day being the "first day" of their eternity since they keep repeating it.

Colt clearly can to a point but at some point must have lost those memories since the game starts when it did. Judging by Juliana this has probably happened several times. Juliana herself has clearly done this so much she's got bored of it and has reduced herself to just toying with Colt to break up the monotony.

My assumption at this point has been that it was always intended for only some people to remember the loops, with the rank and file Eternalists constantly under the impression they're doing this for the first time so they never get tired of living under the Visionaries. But it's certainly reasonable that they all had better intentions but something went wrong with the memories.

As a side note, if we're talking time travel media generally, I highly recommend All Night Laundry, a web adventure from the 2010's. It handles time travel mechanics extremely well, along with general good writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Tenebrais posted:

I had been wondering how much other people on this island could remember the loops. Was hard to tell whether they all believed First Day was the actual first day, or were just being ironic about every day being the "first day" of their eternity since they keep repeating it.

There is one other person

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Ah, beans. Quick heads up folks, some minor technical issues cropped up, so I will have to push tomorrow's update back a day, but then we should be right back on track. Look forward to Karl's Bay!

As an aside, "technical issues" is a bit of a misnomer, it's more a PICNIC. It isn't LP curse if nothing actually broke and I just caused problems right

Anyways, back soon, I'm excited!

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 7!

Today's episode starts out weird, immediately gets weirder, and I spend all of our time together wholly befuddled. It's great fun!

Documents!
- A Mindful Recovery
- I Got Nothing
- Elanor
- Dear Diary

Safe travels, JekJek_Live, you made things confusing while the camera was running, and for that we salute you

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That's the problem with games involving Dark Souls-esque invasion techniques - even if you provide impetus for the invader to go after the host, you have no guarantee the invader won't just be a chaos gremlin as shown. You can either role with it (like Dark Souls) or add mechanics which punish invaders just doing their own thing (I think Watch Dogs had something like if you killed a NPC while invading a world, you would get kicked out).

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Hm. Some corruption issues on encoding after a few tries; redid the edit and I'm giving it one more shot. Hope to have it up tonight/early tomorrow. I hate to keep making excuses, so I choose to believe there is some sort of hex on or about Karl's Bay because all my weirdness so far has been related to it.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Exploration Episode-ish!

This was not the sprawling walk about the Bay that I had imagined, apologies. Still, we didn't miss anything cutscene or plot - the cutscene that I ended last video on plays immediately after leaving the zone, but it made more sense to splice it in after the plot happenings, rather than have it pop up at this one.

I'm sure the frustration is writ plain on this video but! I should have everything that tripped me up here sorted out, so this shouldn't* be an ongoing issue.

Documents!
Map
- Karl's Bay

General Notes
- A Slapdash Invitation - Related to the smoking device/game in Updaam? That one might be a case of 'have to mess with the machinery in the morning and come back to Updaam at noon to see the results?
- KEEP OUT - Related to the fireworks for Updaam evening, and therefore possibly related to Frank's assassination lead
- Hey Garbage Guy - on the entrance to the Garbage Facility; hover text also suggested coming back in the afternoon to get in.
- Worry Not - Whoops. So I'm guessing leaving Amador up on the crane there lets him come back and unlock this at a later time.
- How well - Another of these with the same title as the last one we've found; I imagine they give hints to the Quiz game here in the Bay.
- Beer Goggles - the Eternalists like to party
- In The Weeds - the Haul-a-quin picture had a wheel in its hand; if I find the other parts and power it do I get the crank wheel?
- A Heckin Good Plan - There was an unreachable crashed plane out in the water; sounds like we can come back when there's more ice to help ourselves to some loot!

Dusty Storeroom/Beetlequeen's nest
- Lucky numbers, we love those
- Confirming Frank's slab in the garbage facility
- BQ Has or had planned for a secret room in the same building as Fathoms of Lament
- Contributing to the kickstarter-styled verbiage they're using elsewhere for the Eternalists, with tiered rewards
- We don't know Badger I don't think but BQ was looking to upgrade her living arrangements here

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 8!

Alright, we're back with another meaty-length update; we're gonna find that Charlie fella, take a peek at that sequestered portion of Updaam we haven't seen, try the new Nexus power out, and guess at a whole lot of passwords.

Documents!
- Why We Can't Have Nice Things
- Feedback Loop
- Message to Otto
- DEAR VALUED CUSTOMERS
- Sparky Please
- remember us

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It physically hurts to see you not check out random white pieces of paper next to doors or not turn around when you get to unusual-looking spaces.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Nexus, or as I always think of it thanks to Dishonored 2, Domino, remains one of my favorite powers. Linking up a big group and taking them all out at once never gets old.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I was not expecting Nexus to also link kicks.

Though I am curious what's with Cole's left glove having 'pity' written on it.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

It's an echo of his knuckle tats. The other one IS "NOOO"

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Colt echoing the sound I make every time I stumble over a mine will never cease to amuse me

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It physically hurts to see you not check out random white pieces of paper next to doors or not turn around when you get to unusual-looking spaces.

Hell, same! And I promise it's not a bit I'm playing up for laughs, I'm seeing that I am genuinely less observant when I'm rushing through during capture. So you'll you'll be one or multiple of glad/cautiously optimistic/skeptically apprehensive to know that starting next video I'm doing things a little differently, which should cut down on both missed missables and pointless wandering.

Samovar posted:

I was not expecting Nexus to also link kicks.

Though I am curious what's with Cole's left glove having 'pity' written on it.

We just got the jet-engine kick on Shift, and you know I'm gonna try to combine that with everything I can.

His default outfit has a whole lot going on, from 'pity' on the left glove to 'trust no one' on the right sleeve, to the 'DEAD DOGS' bomb logo on the back. I'm hesitant to look into any deep dive on it because that seems like the sort of thing where someone dissecting it on the internet will casually drop plot spoilers which, fair, not a brand new game, but still

hazardousmouse posted:

Colt echoing the sound I make every time I stumble over a mine will never cease to amuse me

My favorite bit of little sound design so far was that password intercom from this latest video buzzing a second time when he mentioned that he liked the word spittoon. But drat, there's a lot of good little moments to pick from.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 9!

As mentioned in the video, I've been playing around with how to do practice/test runs on a single-save-file-autosaving-game and I think I've landed on a happy medium that doesn't advance my save but which also lets me avoid the frantic blundering of trying to do everything live. And yeah, dropkick is the bee's knees.

Documents
- Intelligence Archives Access
- The Icebox
- Horizon Bunkers
- Gas Drainage Protocols
- Scrawled Screed
- Order of Operations

Going forward, I'm thinking of doing bonus videos for some of these 'side quests'; the weird and cool leads we've got such as the Man Behind Glass, getting into the Intelligence archives, etc. that seem like followable, achievable lines of inquiry but which don't merit their own Visionary or Arsenal leads. If that's a poor idea, someone who's played the game blink three times.

Also, I'd mentioned the "Ode to Somewhere" song that got stuck in my head playing and editing this level, enjoy a clean version of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THLl_6nbMho

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Was starting to feel inspired to play this game myself and discovered that it's currently on sale on Steam for the next two days at 66% off.

Perfect timing!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The 4-pounder ain't a revolver!

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 10!

The complex is eerie quiet at night! I didn't get the chance to blow folks up quite as well as I might have wanted, accordingly. Does get us the Clean Sweep (kill everyone on a map) and Silent Disco (Kill all Visionaries on a map and leave without being spotted) tasks done, though, if you're playing along and want to pick those up.

Samovar posted:

The 4-pounder ain't a revolver!

It's not! It's a magazine-fed high caliber hinged-slide semi automatic! But something about its chunky design just triggers an aesthetic part of my brain that looks at a video game gun and goes "yup, that's The Revolver". I guess it has that boxy kind of design similar to some barrel arrangements of a MaTeBa Unica-6? Minus, importantly, the cylinder. Hmm.

Anyways,

Documents!
Map
- Should be our last one, unless there's a secret endgame map no one's told me about!

Notes
- Real Estate
- Sixty Second Minute, Wenjie
- Uncertainty
- Radial Fluctuations
- u kno
- Keys to an Enlightening First Day
- A Stopped Clock
- A Feature, Not A Bug

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

...maybe this is me reading too much into it, but - does anyone else feel like there is a deliberate... Disjointing of aesthetics in this game? The architecture and physical design seems very 70s, but the culture of the Eternalists and the Visionaries are very 60s.

Which, you know, I feel fits with the overall mechanic of the game, if it was planned that way. It makes it feel... Like the island and the people on it are desynched from time in more than just one way

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
I missed the boathouse in my run!

One of my favourite parts of the game is when it all clicks and you can see how to move every piece, where it needs to go.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Samovar posted:

...maybe this is me reading too much into it, but - does anyone else feel like there is a deliberate... Disjointing of aesthetics in this game? The architecture and physical design seems very 70s, but the culture of the Eternalists and the Visionaries are very 60s.

Which, you know, I feel fits with the overall mechanic of the game, if it was planned that way. It makes it feel... Like the island and the people on it are desynched from time in more than just one way

There's a lot of little worldbuilding, for sure; the Mainland and its spies are really meant, to me, to convey a sort of cold war oppressive vibe, and their kitsch is seen the most in the Complex with its brutalist/post-war architecture. But then there's lots of minor touches that don't really add to the atmosphere but show a level of care; "Moira Kestler" from Wenjie's sixty-second minute doc isn't a real person, for instance, at least not as a composer.

ally_1986 posted:

I missed the boathouse in my run!

One of my favourite parts of the game is when it all clicks and you can see how to move every piece, where it needs to go.

I have a little thing that I noticed which I'm *betting* is me putting too many pins and strings in my conspiracy corkboard, about how the four districts are laid out in the between-mission loadout screen. I'll pop it up with the next update so you can all snicker at my weird paranoia, but I can still ride the '451 eternalists' catch from Julianna's kill Colt dialogue for a while yet.

Also putting it out there that I think Colt had or has a nickname of "Pony" that we haven't seen in documents yet, because regular him has that as a nametag and black jacket Colt had it embroidered on one sleeve.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

CapitanGarlic posted:

There's a lot of little worldbuilding, for sure; the Mainland and its spies are really meant, to me, to convey a sort of cold war oppressive vibe, and their kitsch is seen the most in the Complex with its brutalist/post-war architecture. But then there's lots of minor touches that don't really add to the atmosphere but show a level of care; "Moira Kestler" from Wenjie's sixty-second minute doc isn't a real person, for instance, at least not as a composer.

I have a little thing that I noticed which I'm *betting* is me putting too many pins and strings in my conspiracy corkboard, about how the four districts are laid out in the between-mission loadout screen. I'll pop it up with the next update so you can all snicker at my weird paranoia, but I can still ride the '451 eternalists' catch from Julianna's kill Colt dialogue for a while yet.

Also putting it out there that I think Colt had or has a nickname of "Pony" that we haven't seen in documents yet, because regular him has that as a nametag and black jacket Colt had it embroidered on one sleeve.

You need to look carefully at all the interior design decisions.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Bonus Video!

Let's break into those Intelligence Archives! Of note a couple audio logs and documents were omitted from Starbird's nest just to keep the video moving, but got drat this is a treasure trove of valuable information here.

Documents!
- Lucky Numbers
- Game Theories
- Into The Wolf's Den
- Puppy's Playthings
- The gently caress is This?
- Dossier: The Captain
- That Jingle Jangle
- Cold Cuts
- Gasbag Access
- Stage Management
- Costal Disposal
- Bristlebrush's Blueprints

Important is the Dossier for establishing a timeline - Colt was born in 1911, went missing in 1938, was institutionalized in approximately 1953, brought out of care in 1958. Notes give approximate times that he was MIA, "Over fifteen years", and the Dossier confirms him to be over 50, so there's an uncertain amount of time between being pulled out of institution and the spies establishing reconnaissance, though it's at least post 1961. Beetlequeen had also mentioned attempting to seduce Colt (Badger) as a part of her betrayal. Intrigue!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Unrelated, but remember when Microsoft tried to make "slurping" a thing with the Zune? So now head-canon is that you are going around grabbing shared song files off of alternate universe media players.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

racerabbit posted:

Unrelated, but remember when Microsoft tried to make "slurping" a thing with the Zune? So now head-canon is that you are going around grabbing shared song files off of alternate universe media players.

a lotta yall still dont get it

residuum holders can use multiple slurp juices on a single residuum

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
gently caress, I just realized it was squirting, not slurping. Microsoft wanted all of us to be squirting everywhere.

So now head-canon is that you're infusing your Apes with extra traits to boost their value on OpenSea.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
god dammit if you kids don't funge your squirts I'm slurping this car right around

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 11!
(still processing 4k; HD within ~15 minutes of post according to the YT estimate)

Zounds! My work moved my schedule forward by one day and I lost all concept of time! My bad. Still, here, we go and meet Frank in person for the first time! It definitely sounds like Colt and Frank have had a...complicated relationship. Shoot guns, listen to music, commit atrocities, smooch a little like bros forgetting about their demons. Just like stroking your beard.

Documents!
- We're getting to Know Blackreef pretty well at this point, we're almost ready for THE YERHVA
- The Classiest Pass
- Am I a Joke to You?
- The Sixty-Second Minute: Frank Spicer
- Opportunity Knocked

And please note, I'm not being coy about Frank and Colt's relationship; I'm really glad to see some bi representation in media that isn't the sole defining feature of a given character, and I do think that mostly handling it with a line here or there or in your floating text is as explicitly queer as Arkane could have gotten without it feeling like they were angling sexuality to be their defining features (or, naturally, without the shittier parts of the internet raising a pointless but annoying ruckus about it.) I still don't know anything about Lila, whom I had assumed to be Colt's love interest when we found her picture on Colt's minicom, and I get the impression that Frank just sleeps around a lot.

Anyhow, just as exciting is that my very stupid compulsion to jump through giant letters paid off! That is so goddamn cool!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Frank's bar, the LARP, and the castle party are definitely the setpiece highlights of the game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I love Wenjie arguing with herself and Aleksis's ranting.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 14 should be us getting our look at the party, to dip our toes into the castle and hopefully a good bit of rambling! But for now:

Episode 12!

Let's learn the importance of time, and how like the old bon mot along with the tide, they are not known for waiting. Fractured Image is interesting, naturally paint everywhere in there, but lots of moving parts and a fair bit of chaos as is expected!

Documents!
- How the Jingle Jangles
- Baby's New Crib
- Neglected Note
- Turning the Screw
- On Dreams
- Sixty-Second Minute: Fia

Weapon!

The Constancy Automatic has the unique ability to continue firing during a reload, as each time you manually reload Colt replaces one of the two magazines, reloading half your ammo. Of note due to this the weapon does not have automatic reload points, you have to press R or whatever you've got the key bound to. With a power leech trinket on, this made a joke of the Fia throwdown as it chewed right through her havoc ability before she could put out any significant hurt.

I'm personally not a fan of it after running it around for a little while, but that could be my playstyle! I shy away from automatic weapons because I've got a lead finger and tend to run out of ammunition for them, and this one *encourages* that. I find myself running out of ammo with this gun alone more than all the other guns combined, which annoys me in the middle of a scrumble!

It is a goddamn gorgeous piece, though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Didn't get the chance to watch the vid covering Frank's place until now, but I'm pretty sure that anecdote about the drummer of his band being able to pull off the drum-solo is a piss-take of Ringo not being good on the drums.

Also, just finished reading The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test and boy, do a lot of these annoying Visionaries ring similar.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 13!

We haven't poked our nose in Updaam in the afternoon, but I went in knowing two things: I need to get there afternoon to run the Moxie, and I had saved the fireworks shop offscreen during my loop-around to kill Fia properly, so might as well nab the code I need to advance Frank's lead. Didn't expect an arsenal lead and a lot of mystery solving, but I won't say no to it!

Documents
- A Gap in the Vanguard
- Sixty Second Minute: Colt Vahn
- The Constant
- Sixty Second Minute: Julianna Blake
- Hey, Hey, Miss J
- CLASSIFIED INFORMATION
- Where the Power Lies

I'll show off a better angle of the Sepulchra sniper rifle next update; that was a pleasant surprise pickup. And hey, we'll get a chance to poke around at the much-touted party Aleksis is holding! That'll be a fun time, parties are always fun and never tragic!

(e: forgot to save taking the video from private to public, should be good now! Certified Smartest Boy AliveŠ )

CapitanGarlic fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 1, 2023

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 14!

My goodness, the Manor has a lot going on, and not just a lot of guests. It has a lot of guests, don't get me wrong; enough of them that any semblance of planning or thoughtful gameplay went out the window, crawled bloody and terrified back in the window, and got thrown right back out it again. There's a lot of violence here! And I was trying to be sneaky about it! Still, big ups to the Unstoppable Force trinket, which seemed like the dumbest choice I could have made going in but which saved my rear end more than once. Next time we come back I'll get the document I missed up in Aleksis' bedroom, as well as exploring what messing with the taps can give us.

Documents
- Obituary Fragment. This one seems like it has some huge implications! Colt even comments on it, albeit just with a 'huh'.
- YOU THINK YOU CAN MIX?
- A Reason To Love
- PERFECTION

The mixer puzzle works for singling him out, but with the power of hindsight I should have had some idea what I was doing after singling him out. Besides shotgun and cry, that is.

Weapons

Sepulchra Breteira

It's a sniper rifle. It rifles snipes. Basically the Rapier with three in the magazine, a scope, and a much higher kill range at the tradeoff of not being able to reliably hipshot. Current favorite weapon for me; get me that and the Trencher and I'm set for all occasions.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
How much do the Visionaries read as parodies of our current set of rich assholes to all of you?

Like, Aleksis is definitely a parody of a tech bro (hell he's even got the same surname as Twitter founder Jack Dorsey), and I feel like you could make a case for Charlie and Fia as well.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Less current and more period-appropriate, but Frank reads to me a bit like "What if Charles Manson actually made it in the music industry." That being said, the fit is kind of mediocre. Manson's entire deal was the race war he was sure was coming (and he hoped to start himself).

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 5, 2023

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Aleksis feels like pharma bro to me TBH, he also seems like the most pathetic of the Visionaries (including the gamer).

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

SITB posted:

Aleksis feels like pharma bro to me TBH, he also seems like the most pathetic of the Visionaries (including the gamer).

Especially with Aleksis' rants during his stand-up/show-off parts in the Manor there I really get a Martin Shkreli vibe; buying manufacturing rights to medicine just to increase the price, performative buyouts of land/schools for investment purposes, all that. I'd argue I get the most Elon vibes from Egor, actually, considering when the game was made (development late twenty-teens, original release planned Q1 2020); his whole schtick being "oh, don't mind me! I'm so humble I left a life of fabulous wealth, just to do it for the advancement of technology! Stop noticing how humble I am, really!" Current developments on Musk's suitability as a functioning human notwithstanding.

Not related to the game, but the first time I saw Shkreli's name I misread it, and now my inner monologue voice always refers to him as "ol' shrek-lee"

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

SITB posted:

Charlie at least contributed some form of entertainment, twisted though elements of it may be, while Aleksis is only here because of providing a lot of money and suckering a lot more people into providing a lot of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
To be fair my point with Aleksis was less the 'tech' and more the 'bro'-the constant alpha wolf poo poo, WRITING IN ALL CAPS, etc.