Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I THINK Fia might be a dig at whasherface from Theranos... Holmes? But then again, Fia is supposed to be able to do science, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Well, she's inherited wealth from a shipping magnate family, according to the mini description we get of her on Colt's corkboard:

So she's logistics who just wants to get really high and paint things. Her undercurrent that I've seen from her sixty-second minute stuff is that she thinks suicide is the bravest form of artistic expression, so I despise her especially.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Bonus Episode 3!

I swear, every time I turn a corner in this game I find new things to distract me. That's a good thing! In this video we get a few loose ends tied up and it pays off in the form of DELICIOUS GOLD and also SLAB which is MORE KIND OF GRAYISH

We don't see two things on the video because of crashing and re-recording: One, the Collector is one hell of a fight if you do him face-to-face because of that bomb disposal suit he's wearing, and two: the trinket machine thing is *unbelievably tedious* to do the way I did. I ended up having to kill almost every drat person on the map to find enough passive residuum to try and get it that way, and it was sheer stubbornness that had me doing it. Don't so much recommend.

Documents
- The Sixty-Second Minute: Harriet Morse
- Bargaining Chips
- LIVE at Stony Bar
- The Threshold
- Masquerade for Two
- AEON Mission Assignment
- Dead and Gone

CapitanGarlic fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 11, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SITB posted:

Aleksis feels like pharma bro to me TBH, he also seems like the most pathetic of the Visionaries (including the gamer).

I think Aleksis is too despicable for me to consider him pathetic. He's just a raging rear end in a top hat at all times.

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Charlie at least contributed some form of entertainment, twisted though elements of it may be, while Aleksis is only here because of providing a lot of money and suckering a lot more people into providing a lot of money.

I feel a bit bad for Charlie cause he ripped half his brain out.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Really confused about why I didn't remember garbage man until I learned he was added in a patch a while after release.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh, damnit, I'm getting Fia mixed up with... Uh, the scientist lady who had multiple clones.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Egor Serling: "Leader"
Wienje Evans: Scientist
Harriet Morse: Crazy cultist lady
Charlie Montague: Gamer
Fia Zborowska: Artist and provisioner
Aleksis Dorsey: Guy with the money
Frank Spicer: Musician
Julianna Blake: Trying to actively kill us

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that I really enjoy watching this LP since I bounced pretty hard off this game, despite loving all of Arkanes games.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, since we've now heard all of them, I'll list the VAs for the Visionaries:

Julianna: Ozioma Akagha
Harriet: Marcela Lentz-Pope
Wenjie: Erika Ishii
Egor: Josh Zuckerman
Charlie: Khoi Dao
Fia: Cherami Leigh
Aleksis: Michael Croner
Frank: Andrew Lewis Caldwell

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Junpei posted:

Also, since we've now heard all of them, I'll list the VAs for the Visionaries:

Thank you for that!

Michael Croner who voices Aleksis was in an episode of Young Sheldon, but he was also in an episode of Mike Tyson Mysteries, so it's impossible to tell if he was bad or good, etc.

Importantly, the 'that's where I've heard that voice' moment for the cast for me at least is Julianna's VA Ozioma Akagha voicing Alyx Vance.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

CapitanGarlic posted:

Importantly, the 'that's where I've heard that voice' moment for the cast for me at least is Julianna's VA Ozioma Akagha voicing Alyx Vance.

Oh poo poo!!!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I heard Khoi Dao pretty recently as Kagetsu in Fire Emblem: Engage, and Cherami Leigh has had a pretty long career in anime and video game stuff (the big two off the top of my head being Lucy from Fairy Tail and Makoto from Persona 5).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Erika Ishii is one of the regular hires on Dropout.com and is awesome on Breaking News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4w6E3MuWUA

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, noticed something.

So, in Fia's audio recording which was clearly edited into the Sixty-Second Minute, she mentions a song that Frank and Charlie wrote together. And apparently, Julianna knew that from context, because in the text version, she names it as "Ode To Somewhere", linked already.

I find it very hard to believe that Charlie could write anything romantic to save his life.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Bonus Episode 4!

So, the fun part of doing this all without knowing what I'm getting into is that I really can't always hammer out quite the plotting/pacing schedule I'd vaguely had in mind - in this case, we're looking into an Arsenal Lead because I thought it'd be quick and painless (hell, getting the Sepulchra would've taken two minutes if that was all I was doing), but instead it was of above average video length. Still! New toys! And it's rad as helllll

Documents
- What is AEON? Ah, this one hearkens back to the glory days of the first handful of videos where my frictionless brain just slid right off documents in plain sight. I still do not promise to catch them all, but in this case it's like finding an old friend.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I have to say that I really enjoy watching this LP since I bounced pretty hard off this game, despite loving all of Arkanes games.

I had forgotten to address your saying this so before I forget again!

I think it has the same 'issue' with a lot of Arkane games where playing stealth is far and away the best risk/reward ratio, but it's designed more directly to be an action game than a hybrid, so those two things are just at loggerheads. I know if I was just playing this solo I'd be a bit of a grumpus with the nailgun and the shotgun and just trudge through the whole affair with a single playstyle. I'm personally enjoying it a lot more making absolute fool decisions and having a conscious effort to try different weapon and trinket loadouts to try and introduce variety, and I think I'm seeing a lot more incidental stuff as a result, too.

Still, thank you very much! I'm loving the game to pieces, and it's feeling like we're not on-the-precipice-of- but definitely getting-close-to- the climax, but I could certainly be proven wrong.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
I'm enjoying watching you find things that I either never found or never took the time to figure out.
I had a lot of fun with the game, but I never took the time to figure out that mannequin for example.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 15!

A shorter one today, but dense - we're putting a lot of pieces in place to get a move on towards our ending, and giving the Verso pistols their first honest try. They will be getting another honest try on Tuesday when we go do the complex; I expect a lot of shenanigans from that one as we haven't been to the Complex in the a.m. and we have much to see while we're there. Also, in this video I make past me look like a whining, wimpy baby man; I promise the collector is a scary fight if you're not kitted just right!

Document!
- Aesthetics are Key. This one puts our last couple pieces in place, as far as I can tell; Wenjie's (Wenjies'?) office must have something that lets us know how to kill her outside of the afternoon time slot, and we need it to get murderous efficiently enough.

Weapon!

The Strelak Verso, like its manufacturer cousin the Strelak 50-50, both fires two rounds with every trigger pull and is mechanically baffling at every level. But also like its cousin, it is cool as hell. Extra ammo, dual wield buff trinkets, and sometimes adding havoc and these little guys do enough damage to everyone in visible range they should probably be tried at The Hague. I don't believe they're the only possible fun option for dual wielding, but they fixed all of the little comfort/control issues I personally had with doing so.

Just a quick couple notes! First, I finally figured out audio ducking in this video, it only took more than half the LP. In my limited defense I haven't done video editing in any meaningful context in over 15 years but do know I'm working behind the scenes to always tidy things up and make the vids more watchable!

Second, while I can try to get some videos scheduled/backlogged in advance, I will be out of town getting lost in some mountains on 4/22 and 4/25. At worst, this means a week off; at best this means a short text update with a video link that I come back and update once I'm back home at my rig. I like keeping to a schedule, but I do also like vacation! I don't really get those as they are not included by default in the American Dream ExperienceŠ so I jump on it when I can. Thanks for your understanding!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'll say this about the Verso, the designers of the game were being very... Uh, unique? In their choice of ensuring that actual physical reality has no bearing on gun function.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 16!

Still surprising that we haven't been to the Complex in the a.m. yet, but our blundering path has saved us like, three steps by accident! No, I will not be counting how many steps it has caused us elsewhere, that sounds like quitter talk

Documents!
- Insider Access
- Unfolded Directive
- Generous Instructions
- Fine Work, Everyone!
- STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL
- Pilot Survival Projections

As mentioned last update, I'll be going out of town for a little bit here, so I'll miss updates for this coming Saturday/Tuesday. We'll be back on track after that, though, promise!

In the meantime, consider: Jahn is the villain of the story, and his subtle, insidious tendrils penetrate every inch of the island

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for doing this, I love the thoughtful blind approach, and your commentary and voice are really nice, and the interstitial about your first invader cracked me up.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Osmosisch posted:

Thanks for doing this, I love the thoughtful blind approach, and your commentary and voice are really nice, and the interstitial about your first invader cracked me up.

Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm just having an absolute blast playing it, so I'm glad to hear folks are enjoying.

WITH THAT SAID AND WITH NO FURTHER ADO, it's

Episode 17!

Two and a half birds with one stone on this dive into Fristad Rock, though I don't think we'll be coming back this loop to check out the lovers' bunker. This is because I want to get Updaam/Karl's Bay while I have the Horizon Bunkers powered and for no other reason whatsoever.

Documents!
- Always Prepared. Missed this one in Fia's Office earlier
- Reassignment
- Typed Form
- On Schedule
- Classified Information. This one is our real big goddamn bombshell, as well as Lead-crucial to getting further into the RAK bunker. Facetious request to change the thread name to Deathloop: Every Day is Father's Day

Weapon!

The H.A.L.P.S. Prototype is a beast of a weapon that, importantly, does not appear to do damage. It kills people very quickly, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't do health damage - rather, it seems to increase a 'heat' bar which, when full, kills the target. I say this because when I freed it I didn't take health damage prior to death, and in testing a Julianna with Havoc on is completely immune to it, which suggests it wasn't doing health damage to drain her power. Maybe it's coded to check for health damage vulnerability? I ain't no programs-y man. All I know is "ignore havoc, kill visionary by booting them twice and executing"

I'm getting off topic. The HALPS is a drat load of fun to use, and you can very likely get away with some fun, silly stuff using its camera/turret charge options. The only drawbacks are reloading, which you have to plan for with batteries, and that it's what you see on the tin - no trinkets, so you can't really mix up how it feels and acts. But it is a beast and make no mistake about that.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

CapitanGarlic posted:

Bonus Episode 4!

Just got around to this one. The strelok is excellent indeed! I never got any other perk on it than the explodey one, I'm kind of jealous.

A small note about the pod in the basement that's in the water: the battery is powering a switch that lets you open the pod door. I think there's just some residuum in there (that's what the noise was telling me anyway, and I don't remember finding anything significant)

e: and as far as the HALPS puzzle goes, there's a note somewhere saying that sensors aren't the only tech tool that redirects the laser so yeah, there's a less suicidal way to get it :)

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 30, 2023

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 18!

There's very little in this game stopping you from a lot of different and unique playstyles, which is super nice. Since we're just on a side trip to find a teensy bit of plot-critical information here, why not give a few different toys and trinkets a try? That's what they're there for, after all.

Documents!
- Isolation
- EYES ONLY
- Classified Information, Yasen Station

We're next time gonna be checking out Karl's Bay in the evening, I thiiink the one spot we haven't looked at yet - after that we're about a loop and a half from what I think is our murderous crescendo. I, a violent clown of a man, have a little something special planned for that part, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

Osmosisch posted:

e: and as far as the HALPS puzzle goes, there's a note somewhere saying that sensors aren't the only tech tool that redirects the laser so yeah, there's a less suicidal way to get it :)

This game has a power of hindsight like few others, considering you can just go back and try things again differently without losing any progress. Still! There is a grim satisfaction in a brute force solution that works well.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I had no idea you could half-power the cannon, or that weapons had idle animations. Neat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sindai posted:

I had no idea you could half-power the cannon, or that weapons had idle animations. Neat.

It's not just the weapons! So do the powers.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

I'm feeling very lucky to have this LP going on just as I'm going through the game for the first time myself, turns out our playstyles are very complementary, I've run into all kinds of stuff not shown in the LP yet, and vice versa. What a fun puzzlebox of a game.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Yeah, it's the most oddly satisfying feeling to hear 'oh, I didn't see <thing>', and this game is chock full of it. So far my favorite do nothing, it's just there to be there moment is the domino run with the landmine in Updaam afternoons. I'll still probably wrap the LP having missed a small bucket of things, but it's a fun game! It's worth playing and exploring yourselves, make no mistake about that.

Episode 19!

Karl's Bay is particularly jovial in the evening! It's a fun little place that Charlie's gotten his developer fingers all over.

Documents
- Code of Conduct. Not gonna lie, I could *feel* the cheap carpet fibers just stabbing into my skin looking at the coital center
- Never Forever

and, to prove I wasn't crazy when I said "did you see that purple thing" in the video, I checked frame by frame and sure enough, small harmless glitch:

So! Next video we're gonna do one last run-around before we really sink our teeth into getting Wenjie sorted and set up the FINAL LOOP. I want to get the Pact of Smoke, seeing as how it's one of the first leads I got and I haven't played with it yet, but any other leads or curiosities you want to check out?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CapitanGarlic posted:

So! Next video we're gonna do one last run-around before we really sink our teeth into getting Wenjie sorted and set up the FINAL LOOP. I want to get the Pact of Smoke, seeing as how it's one of the first leads I got and I haven't played with it yet, but any other leads or curiosities you want to check out?

There's an upstairs apartment in the building behind the rockin' guitar guy from last video that I think you'll want to check out.

It's kind of a pity they so strongly restrict the magic powers you get to play with. I'd have preferred two weapon and three slab slots over what we got, but what can you do.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Teleporting is so fun and essential for rapidly moving through levels the 10th time you're in them you effectively only have 1 power slot. Definitely my main complaint with the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, not having it makes you discover new routes through the levels.
But yeah, once used to it, it is hard to let it go.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
I do try to force myself not to use Shift and double jump as much as possible! In a great many cases all places are still accessible with just regular jumping and mounting, but less safe or less stealth friendly to be sure.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

If there's one thing this LP is teaching me, it's that I was really bad at Deathloop. I don't think I ever saw loop stress high enough to yield an orange trinket

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
The theme of the game remains "oh my god I missed so many things" welp

Nearly two hours of raw for a silly little jaunt, a fun little bonus, we're gonna have some ~time~ in the editing room for tomorrow's episode I tells ya. We, uh. Got a lot of trinkets and slab upgrades out of it? We are going to be so drat kitted for our 'real deal' run oh my goodness

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

liquidypoo posted:

I don't think I ever saw loop stress high enough to yield an orange trinket
I think they were added in a patch a fairly short time ago?

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
The "Goldenloop" content patch from September 2022 included the HALPS, the Fugue Slab, the Paint Bomber enemies, the 2-in-1 trinkets, some Julianna stuff (I'll try out the invasion side of things one of these days!), and an 'extended ending' per the press materials, so if you played the game on release that's the bullet list of the new things!

Bonus 05!

(Video was set to be done processing HD/4k more than an hour ago but is, according to youtube "taking longer than expected, please wait". It should kick over into HD soon, but may be SD only for a little bit!)

Two full loops, one video. For length I did cut out *quite* a lot of running around if it wasn't showing us anything particularly new or neat, but there's a lot of fun and nifty stuff in this one!

Documents
- From the Machine
- THE ESSENTIAL YOU!
- Letter from Wenjie
- Envisioned Invasion
- Theme: Secret Society
- Theme: Murder Mystery
- The Sixty Second Minute: Charlie loving Montague
- Vanya's Pact of Smoke
- Anatoly's Pact of Smoke
- Handwritten Letter - this one, or rather Colt's reaction to it, does get under my skin. We know it's canon that Colt was lost due to his incompetent commander firing the rocket when it wasn't ready; why does everyone treat it like Colt made a hard, incorrect choice in the matter? He did not have the agency that everyone is assigning him, arrgh
- Living Deja-Vu
- Towards Tomorrow

I don't think I...'get' Pick, or I'm missing some context. My takeaway is that she needs to die before the loop occurs so she doesn't lose the previous loop's memories? I still feel like I'm missing a key part though. Hm.

Weapon!

The Heritage Gun - another transforming weapon, uses shotgun ammunition. Its compact mode fires slugs and functionally acts like the Rapier with a magazine, its expanded mode acts like the Trencher with a very horizontal, line-like shot spread. Again, do not consider mechanics or engineering, even a little bit, please

Still, it combines two of my favorite guns into one, plus we get some Arnie in T2 feeling from cycling with the lever action on it. Ours increases damage based on the time of day, so it's hitting the hardest on the evening/high-danger portion of a given loop, which is neat!

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 20!

A quick look at the Wake-Up Challenge and the accompanying lesson on game design from Charlie, and then we get into Wenjie's lab to find out just how aware she is that she's going to blow up the galaxy if we don't break this loop. That sounds like the kind of thing we should really put a stop to.

Documents!
- Bad Luck Mary's Lucky Day
- Theme: Audio Overdrive
- Attention All Wenjies
- Possible Side Effects
- Notes on Updaam's Cliffside Facility

So, we're gonna loop around and hit Condition Detachment one more time, it looks like - the pieces in place, so we're likely only a few videos out from that ending! I do want to ask, are there any weapons or powers you'd like to see getting more screen time while we still can? I am trying to give everything a fair shake, but obviously I play favorites. Fortunately there's a whole crapton of fun options, so lemme know!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like you could get some fairly creative things done with the swap option on blink!

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
You sure can, but I need some practice with it to be dang sure!

Episode 21!

This got spicy and make no mistake at all. Those eternalists will chew you up if you're not careful, and I spent a good bit of this video being not careful! Also includes a free helping of fat-fingering the controls here and there.

No documents today, but unless I'm mistaken and/or awaiting a surprise, this does it for our setup and beginning next video we'll be getting into our final loop and bustin' this thing wide open. Julianna and at least one Colt insist that this is preferable to whatever's outside, but waking up hung over on the beach for all eternity just isn't a way to live; no, we are of a mind to seize our destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Speaking of things you missed. Check around the bridge footings to Charlie's place in the morning.