Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Call it.
This poll is closed.
Volkanovski 6 33.33%
Makhachev 12 66.67%
Total: 18 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What a fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Islam’s mic work leave something to be desired

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
gently caress this crowd what a bunch of sour fucks

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This man can't even speak lmao volk hosed him up so bad 😂😂😂

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They gotta run that fight back. gently caress everyone else

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Volk only clearly won round 5, round 3 could have gone either way. 1 2 and 4 were 100% islam

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Am I crazy that I am willing to argue that volk losing that fight simply reinforced his #1 p4p status to me from that performance

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Well I pretty much nailed that it would be a great, close fight that Makhachev won because Volk would struggle with the size a bit early, but I didn't predict that everyone would think Volk came out looking like the better fighter

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

beep by grandpa posted:

Am I crazy that I am willing to argue that volk losing that fight simply reinforced his #1 p4p status to me from that performance

Nah he looked amazing

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

beep by grandpa posted:

nah this seems to be most peoples takeaway

Volkanovski was so clearly better in everything bar offensive wrestling and not just better but clearly better and superior and rounded

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

No I feel the same way

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think volk clearly has 4 and 5. 3 and 2 were a bit of a wash depending on how you score that control.

I think a rematch would be ideal.

Volk was incredible absolutely not a defeat even if it's a loss.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

Basically picture perfect example of what p4p means.
If they were the same size, different result likely.

The differences are so meaningful lower in the divisions to boot.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Cracking up at how calm volk sounds like he just went for a light jog when islam sounded like he just barely escaped from a foreign slave labor camp

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, that is the dictionary definition of a moral victory.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1624648073300541440?s=20

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Volk lost round 4. He knew it took going into round 5.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
the last time a fight like this happened was GSP v BJ Penn and GSP slaughtered BJ Penn in every area, this fight looked nothing like that and instead looked like what people thought it would look like when talking up BJ Penn against GSP

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

FootballFreak2 posted:

Volk only clearly won round 5, round 3 could have gone either way. 1 2 and 4 were 100% islam

yeah, that seems fair to me

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

beep by grandpa posted:

Cracking up at how calm volk sounds like he just went for a light jog when islam sounded like he just barely escaped from a foreign slave labor camp

lmao

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Doltos posted:

Volk lost round 4. He knew it took going into round 5.

Yeah, you're right. Round 2 is what mattered.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
if fights could only end in a KO, a submission, or the heat death of the universe, then Volk is the p4p 100%. If the definition is who can win UFC fights, it has to be Islam.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Benson Cunningham posted:

if fights could only end in a KO, a submission, or the heat death of the universe, then Volk is the p4p 100%. If the definition is who can win UFC fights, it has to be Islam.

Nah. Islam would do a lot worse at 170 than Volk did at 155. Also if they do rematch, I think I'd take Volk.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

great main card where both the opener and main event were clear contenders for fight of the year

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
also if you think after that Volk would struggle with Dustin Poirier you're out of your mind

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i wish dunc could have seen that opener

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lid posted:

also if you think after that Volk would struggle with Dustin Poirier you're out of your mind

I want volk to get a Conor payday and murder the prick

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
DEREK CLEARY MUST BE STOPPED. he spitroasted this ufc. hosed the first and last fights.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

We might see a more exciting fight this year, but we probably won't see a higher level fight

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Thinking back to the end of round 4 where Volk was screaming at the top of his lungs in a body triangle raining punches on Islam's head, I wish I could know what was going through Islam's mind at that point. He did not look like he was having fun.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

Thinking back to the end of round 4 where Volk was screaming at the top of his lungs in a body triangle raining punches on Islam's head, I wish I could know what was going through Islam's mind at that point. He did not look like he was having fun.

I think Islam had the fear of Allah put in him and he was happy to survive that 5th round.

I think volk could easily make the adjustments needed for a rematch

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The "what the gently caress is happening" expression on Islam's face when Volk was on top of him at the end of the fight was worth the price of admission alone.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

As provided by Digital Jedi:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

CarlCX posted:

please use this image for islam for the next breakdown you do

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

crepeface posted:

please use this image for islam for the next breakdown you do

:hmmyes:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

If some intrepid MMA photographer actually got a hi-rez photo of it, I will 100% do a faces-of-displeasure month just to use it.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

ccubed posted:

DEREK CLEARY MUST BE STOPPED. he spitroasted this ufc. hosed the first and last fights.

The right guy still won. Giving round 3 to Islam is probably bad, but lord knows that MMA judges have done things exponentially worse than this.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I still can't believe what volk did

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

CarlCX posted:

video

https://dubz.co/c/759smb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Thanks for another great write-up, Carl! You add a ton of value to these fights :)