Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
he'll be renaming himself Ter;mp of YOSPOS any day now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Jerfro;y Mindset

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hatebag posted:

My understanding is that magic is basically drawing yourself getting a big bag of money and then jacking off on the drawing while thinking "I'm gonna get a big bag of money" so i don't see what the problem is tbh

the problem is when meme-magic literally sends TUETNRO into the white house, hth

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

trump thread posters can only be rehabilitated through hard labor

figuring out all the funny ways to misspell GULAG

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

speng31b posted:

people keep saying this and i think it's worth a shot. same for war thread and other megas. just post about specific events and not the generic concept of trump and war or whatever

this is the basis behind my proposal to gas all threads that hit 5 pages

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think this is a good approach because like the hamburger party Trump day would have been its own thread and could be goldmined and we could revisit the posts from that moment specifically instead of trying to dig around all the other stuff in a monthly trump thread

this is a great point in favour of bespoke event threads instead of megathreads, people sometimes complain that not enough CSPAM threads get goldmined and the reason why is because so many CSPAM threads are 5000 pages long and something funny happens on like page 3999

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It'd still need to be subsumed by a general chat thread but maybe that'd be less intimidating to the people who think Trump thread is a haven for morlocks and miscreants or whatever has the hot-to-trots in a tizzy at any given moment is probably a fair call at this point
Whatever gets more people posting pictures of their cats in a location I can reliably find

Here you go: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3169030

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lmao i know you will never say who, but how many are for AiT posts

i think there were like half a dozen reports over the last week about AiT committing the horrible crime of posting "cars ftw", so based on the excel spreadsheet Jeff makes us fill out about who gets reported the most, that means I have to annihilate his account with a tactical nuclear missile

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

Don't forget Jeff database probating 130 people for a week for the crime of posting after Christmas

You wouldn't believe how many words I wrote in the mod forum saying probing an entire thread and then closing QCS were bad ideas

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

that's my whole point. not everybody attacking plinkey had his best interests in mind or was doing it in good faith--some of them were doing it because lol drama. we can disagree on the percentages all day, but conflating "dude running it like this is going to screw you and the people you want to help, let's make it better" with "this guy's blowing the goon fund on craps and hookers lol" just whitewashes the shitheads and makes the genuine concerns seem less genuine.

it's not actually funnier if plinkey gets in trouble, it's loving terrible for him and the people who need help. the optimal solution would have been "don't let him start the fund without accountability", followed by "try and work with him when the issue was first raised, not after several days of people dragging him and making it clear that a perma was the only resolution".

the problem is that both of those require mods to do their job and welp

I wasn't a mod when Plinkey's goonfund was started (by the time I was a mod the goonfund had already been chugging along for something like a year and a half - in fact I'm not sure any of the current cspam mod team were mods when it was set up) and I was never the one taking point on it (that was usually admins or mods who know Plinkey on some level, which I don't) but I can give a bit of behind-the-scenes perspective on this. Basically the mods and admins knew Plinkey's goonfund was not being run optimally, but also saw that it did seem to be helping people, based on the wide variety of posters who regularly said Plinkey was sending them money to help them with things, often helping them through serious emergencies. On several occasions, mods and admins all the way up to Jeff talked to Plinkey in private urging him to run his fund more transparently and ideally to incorporate as a charity, to protect Plinkey from personal liability, to make the fund less dependent on a single pair of hands, and to make it so that donors could be confident their money was being used appropriately. This was months, if not years, before the QCS blowup. As I remember it Plinkey was receptive to the various ideas and suggestions but never followed through, and we had no way of double-checking anything independently because of the nature of an opaque fund run by a single person and hosted on a different website.

That left us in an awkward position of not wanting to make public accusations or demands and therefore blow up the fund out of suspicion when we had no proof funds were being misused and a fair amount of circumstantial evidence that at least some of the money was materially helping goons as intended, but also not succeeding in repeated attempts to help Plinkey resolve the issues proactively and privately so that the fund could operate with some level of accountability, redundancy, and transparency. Not being able to do either of those things made some kind of bad outcome pretty much inevitable but because only Plinkey could improve the existing goonfund and he didn't do it, we didn't have a way to resolve the issue ourselves - either we'd be fail evil mods stealing food out of the mouths of goons by attacking the fund or we'd be fail evil mods letting goons get scammed by allowing the opaque state of affairs to continue. The actually good third option of talking to Plinkey and trying to resolve the issues before they became a problem was something we did try on multiple occasions.

When the inevitable blowup happened, the high stakes (a lot of real-world money changing hands) and cross-forum nature of discussions starting in PYF, moving to QCS, and then happening in QCS, PYF, and CSPAM simultaneously meant it was generally treated as an admin and Jeff responsibility rather than something that individual subforum mods could resolve, which maybe wasn't the right call when threads and posters were screaming at each other but hindsight is 20/20. I think just about everyone involved would have preferred a different outcome but this is the one we got.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

Accused me of being a landlord when I don't even own property I rent a

the report that will never be surpassed

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

there are like 1-2 goons left who still will say poo poo like "free taintrunner" despite knowing that he is a rapist

ive probed for that before and ill probe for it again

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

mastershakeman? could be wrong

yeah it was

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959450

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Booourns posted:

now that it's in the archives they should rename QCS to Quiet, Calm, Serene

lol yes i will ask the admins to do this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
woke up and there are 340 unread posts in this thread and 9 billion unread posts in the mod forum, hmmmmmm

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I wouldn't say the forums are the most important thing in my life by a long shot, but this website has been my internet home for like 20 years so I do have a strong emotional attachment to it and I want it to do well and the people on it to be happy

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

But like this:

Over a mass five-day probe …… jeez get a grip

I'm very sympathetic to the anger over Jeff's mass thread probe and I told him as much at the time, because even for those of us with healthy and happy social lives outside the forums, the forums are still one part of our social life where we post with friends and the holidays are a nice time to be with your friends. Like from my perspective I wasn't able to post about the busiest time of the Premier League season with my friends because like 80% of them were on probation and some of them never came back afterwards, which made me very sad, and I know the football forum is hardly the only place on SA with a similar story

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

speng31b posted:

Is the DND war thread mod getting demodded new?

cinci stepped down about a month ago

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

Lmao I thought you were kidding.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dustcat posted:

(imagine i quoted every one of those tubgirls here back to back)

thank you for not actually doing this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

loving the gbs banmes

ive been on this website since the pillhead web beater was incharge but taking away my pyf war snuff thread was a bridge too far. catch me on r/killallrussian

gently caress jeff and gently caress putin

the gbs thread was closed because the mods and admins of forums.somethingawful.com are russian assets fighting hybrid warfare

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

speng31b posted:

Prepare to have this post quoted in SAD

jeff's drty secret is that he bought this place not with bitcoin billions but with rubles

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Azathoth posted:

counterpoint lmao it rules

best $10 I ever spent

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jeffrey of cspam

i was disappointed that you did not name your parachute 32-bit Butt-Head

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

saw this coming and made up for it by reading twice

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Jeffrey of MOSCOW

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the reason i got angry at the gbs thread was because i have friends living in russia that have no choice but to live there. they cant afford to leave and there has been a genuine worry that some of them could end up conscripted and sent off to die in ukraine so seeing a bunch of epic gbs guys saying they should protest the war or turn around and walk out of ukraine if they get conscripted made me angry. i also have friends in ukraine i've known for years that i worry about because i don't want them hurt or killed because of a stupid war waged by egomaniac dictators. it wasn't because i was concern trolling i just found the posters repugnant and took it more personally than i should have. i try to disconnect myself from internet bullshit and just lol at stupid poo poo but sometimes things slip through.

big same, there have been a lot of bad posts about the war over the last year but imo some of the worst ones were the people saying my Russian friends who spent months fighting against the war started by an unaccountable dictator and had no way to leave should die just for being born in the wrong place

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

500 good dogs posted:

if this thread gets nuked we can post in the D&D Jeffrey of YOSPOS is now a CSPAM Poser thread, no big deal

this thread is under my protection, at least until somebody goes psycho and makes me regret writing that, because given the current state of the forums it would be insane to expect cspam posters not to want a place to chat about forums current events

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

500 good dogs posted:

makes sense but

I wouldn't go this far. voted 3

I appreciate that you are a poster of your word

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

500 good dogs posted:

lmao after I posted it I got worried you'd look so I voted real quick :cheers:

lol nice

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

did u see the post in the ukraine thread i reported today

No, I was busy all afternoon and didn't look at any reports

lobster shirt posted:

one thing that i think is unfolding disastrously in SAD is the seeming practice of having one admin engage with posters while another, who is not participating, is monitoring threads and nuking posts. its not a dynamic that is going to lend itself well to any sort of productive conversation. oh well!!!! happy saturday everyone.

I think the idea behind this was that no admin should be simultaneously participating in a conversation and moderating that conversation, but I'm not sure it's working out ideally because if you're on the receiving end then it seems like whichever admin is reading and moderating but not talking is just throwing thunderbolts from Olympus instead of engaging with people

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

Nothing slim about them, op

lol at your new av

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
strong av game today lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I want a new av I’m tired of army Bernie but I’m too white noise and nonconfrontational to piss somebody off enough to want to spend cash on me

#whitenoiseproblems

I was gonna give you a new av on this post but I looked and the most recent one I could see on your account was that loving Klobuchar comic

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Glenn's right
Glenn's left

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

croup's an old hand at this. not hit first rodeo, wont be his last. ghost iks are fun too

getting out my ouija board and watching it spell "GO OUTSIDE AND TALK TO PEOPLE"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

az fat
ozma fat

connect the fat dots idiots

sucks to your azma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
he changed his own username to worms butthole guy