Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

EEKA GEEK posted:

Wendy finding the typewriter in the Shining, except it says THE PURPOSE OF A SYSTEM IS WHAT IT DOES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

every single thread in the new qcs is closed

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

John Charity Spring posted:

supposedly it's because they're only going to open the threads when an admin is online lol

good thing the admins have a solid distribution of availability over different timezones

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Srice posted:

Yeah there was a post somewhere in that feedback thread in PYF that listed the posters who never returned after getting caught in that mass probe crossfire. Many of whom had been around for quite some time.

It's a death by a thousand cuts kinda thing, yeah it's hardly the worst thing to happen on these forums but to me it's a bigger bummer to see plenty of good posters leave over an extended period of time due to a consistent stream of smaller dumb things instead of one big inciting incident causing it.

(To say nothing of how it wasn't the holidays for everyone; personally that was the busiest work week of the year for me! I might not have been caught up in those mass probes but the places I frequented definitely felt quieter.)

it's not even just posters dying by a thousand cuts, the organization of the forums produces constant antagonistic interactions between users and mods and admins. it inexorably ends with jeffrey and every well-intentioned mod/admin burning out, but i've given up and i'm not writing another screed about org dynamics. furthermore, I consider that fluffdaddy must be destroyed.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

speng31b posted:

on one hand it's a great precedent, on the other i expect the ones who really need to take a break and get some perspective the most are also the ones who will absolutely never give up the small amount of power they've accrued to hand out $10 punishments on the internet

yep.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

the posters who flake are the tender lil guys vs the hardened psychos who remain

yep.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

Looks like the reign of a wet blanket is not that different from a domestic abuser. Horseshoe theory much??

owning the forums slowly turning jeffrey into lowtax has been a great demonstration of materialism.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Space Camp fuckup posted:

It is very funny that fluffdaddy is universally reviled and he does this poo poo for free lol

negative attention seeking for me, but not for thee.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Smythe posted:

the "problem" with the site is that its populated, 100%, by goons. goons are posters, goons are mods. goons are insanely hosed up. every cool guy, every sniveling twerp, every unknown hobby forum poster ... all goons.

guy who admined the troubles and then moderated qcs: the real problem? goons

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

he's right

actually its smythe\'s fault, personally

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Smythe posted:

99999 mods threatened to resign if i didn't immediately delete fyad, make KM head admin, and chop my transphobic rear end head off live on stream. i had already appointed my successors so i said ok and logged off. literally.

he admit it!!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Top Gun Reference posted:

*steam gauges pegged to maximum, mercury bursting out of the thermometer, gears turning and clanking audibly in jeff’s head* what if… i let my admins gatekeep which feedback gets discussed. also, JIRA ticketing but for posts

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

idk I skimmed the threads but it seems like this all kicked off on boxing day by a bunch of australian posters getting probed for saying c*nt and they getting big mad about it is this wrong?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I can't find SAD on the awful app

i can. they don't allow dogs.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

does annoy me we don't get any novel hosed-up views anymore
everyone's locked into a position by now, we don't get any fun poo poo like "look every country has a couple of monuments to the SS in it" anymore

there was a guy in the ukraine thread praising america for all the billions of dollars they spent rebuilding afghanistan, and one blaming the ussr for everyone the nazis killed

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Honestly? Frequent appeals to me are part of the issue. The admins are in charge of the site. They run the site and can make calls like this. Part of the dysfunction and seeming paralysis around here is, I suspect, that any admin call that is remotely disputed is immediately escalated to me. Having a website owner around is a relatively new position for this site to be in and I think it's taken some getting used to. I have empowered the admins to make judgement calls and I am letting them make those calls, even if they aren't what I would do. Knowing the broad strokes that I do without reading any of the posts, I suspect "webcam guy" probably just failed to think even a little bit about the implications of what he posted and worst possible consequences, and will never do it again. I don't know that, I can't, but nor do you know he will ever post anything nasty again. A lot of people really do just like.....get probated and stop doing the thing they were probated for.

tyhis

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lumpentroll posted:

fluffdaddy is my alt

you should be fired

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lumpentroll posted:

i won’t be

:(

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

John Charity Spring posted:

Azathoth quit as admin because he found out that Fluffdaddy is a Koala's March alt/parachute who was made a Great Race Space mod due to KM (who already had an alt/parachute that was stanning KM's actions outted and permabanned)

that's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

What is the purpose of a moderator? What is the end-goal in mind of having someone who has the kind of power to probate and ban people within a discussion thread, which is effectively the power to silence a person's voice? There's the obvious end of having someone who can eliminate clear abusive behaviors, of course, but that goes without saying. What I want this forum's leadership and users to investigate is the pervasive idea that a moderator has a responsibility to enforce the notion of a forum's, or even a thread's, "culture." The idea of a moderator having a responsibility to neutrally moderate the tone of a discussion seems to not exist outside of one Koos Group, who moderates the way things probably ought to be moderated in a discussion forum where heated topics are causing hackles to rise.