Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Soon as those mechs power up the remaining silver phantoms will have to do some quick arithmetic on whether their leader is worth getting potentially killed over vs just bugging out and letting goonlance take the brunt of the risk and costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Considering the situation we're in, we might want to bug out as soon as the last of the criminals are in tow

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'd guess it's a Vindicator, an Enforcer, and a Guillotine.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Gladiator

We're painfully close to the last arrest reward, but the question is: how damaged do we want to bet those mechs are? It's possible they might be MP damaged and/or not have ammo loaded for any weapons that need it, but that's still a lot of pirate tonnage that's about to spawn next to Mason and Etienne. I'm kinda leaning towards quitting while we're ahead, personally. Thoughts, team?

In terms of short-term moves, I'm currently thinking of jumping to 0912. Lets me keep pressuring the Assassin towards the other half of the team, and if those new mechs kool-aid man out aggressively enough next turn I could threaten a backshot.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

if the badly damaged zombie mechs wakeup and aren't ammo loaded, how dangerous is it if its a melee only slug/surprise?
In the event their guns aren't loaded, doesn't the griffin just have the option to jump away?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm probably going back to 1911 to try and hit the Assassin whichever side of the walls it decides to move to. With the degree of mobility we have I don't think there's any reason for everyone to run right now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
PTN's tactical analysis corner:

It's not safe to assume the 'Mechs have had their ammo weapons disarmed. While they definitely would be if any work needed to be done on their bin locations, if that work is already complete or if those sections suffered no damage their ammo may have been left untouched or they may already have been restocked.

That said: it is pretty likely their ammo will have been stripped. Most technicians don't like welding right next to high-yield explosives, and if they've been sitting in the field for a while any ammo they had has probably gone bad. Maybe. This is BattleTech after all, but explosives should still get unstable and need to be stripped and detonated if left to sit in a broken 'Mech long enough. It's also possible their ammo may have been scavenged prior to their recovery by people looking to make a quick buck. Ammo's not that valuable, but big shells still sell.

Now, assuming I'm right about the 'Mechs? They're a huge threat, but there's some good news:
- The Vindicator is surprisingly capable without any of its ammo, the loss of an LRM-5 only cuts its firepower by about 19%.
- The Enforcer is very ammunition reliant, The loss of its AC/10 cuts its damage potential by more than half at ranges longer than 3 hexes.
- The Guillotine barely even notices the loss of an SRM-4, and has the firepower to seriously threaten anything lighter than itself. It's not the "final boss" of 'Mechs, but it's one of the only Heavy trooper designs and it is designed and purpose-built to bully medium-weight trooper 'Mechs. There's a reason it was an SLDF mainstay, it's very good at its job.

Fortunately, all of these 'Mechs are slow 4/6s, which means they can be outrun; but outmaneuvering them would be tricky considering they all mount jump jets. Worse: They all have enough long range firepower that they can't really be kited to death, if you engage them it's probably going to be a brawl--and the Guillotine excels at winning brawls.

It's still very winnable though, depending on how far along their repair is. The hangar looks like its hardened so it's probably not collapsable, but if it's possible to pry the doors open (and you can do so without eating too much fire) it might be worth checking with your GM to see if you can try. Taking called shots against powered down 'Mech cockpits isn't that difficult.

If that's not an option, if you focus on your targets and try to maximize the firepower you can keep on any one target they'll still go down quickly enough. Don't be afraid of overkill, if you drop a 'Mech in a turn any damage you do isn't wasted.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 29, 2024

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Scintilla posted:

Frozen Assets: Turn 11

Secondary Objectives:
Objective A: Facilitate the arrest of at least 30 auctiongoers (30/30) (50,000 C-Bill Reward) (Complete!)
Objective B: Facilitate the arrest of at least 60 auctiongoers (60/60) (100,000 C-Bill Reward) (Complete!)
Objective C: Facilitate the arrest of all 100 auctiongoers (88/100) (150,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective D: Destroy or drive off all enemy combatants (200,000 C-Bill Reward)
Maybe this is a dumb question, but are all of these rewards independent of each other? So currently 150k additional reward and 300k after getting the last 12 auctiongoers? And then a cool 500k if also destroying/driving off all enemy combatants?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh that's a good idea, we do have plenty of mechs with hands and not a lot of movement needing to happen inside the compound right now.
The assassin can't really realistically get in to mess with everyone because so much of our firepower is inside the walls.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Regardless of that, I think we should tell the APC that it's Go Time whether they've finished arresting everyone or not.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

DTurtle posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but are all of these rewards independent of each other? So currently 150k additional reward and 300k after getting the last 12 auctiongoers? And then a cool 500k if also destroying/driving off all enemy combatants?

All of the rewards are cumulative, so goons will receive 500,000 C-Bills for completing all secondary objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Scintilla posted:

All of the rewards are cumulative, so goons will receive 500,000 C-Bills for completing all secondary objectives.
Cool.

Barring extremely bad luck, all auction goers should be arrested next turn. After that, it's up to the players to decide if an extra 200k is worth the risk of facing 6 mechs.