Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Same! Orders sent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Same.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

yeah i submitted my order too

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Okay, it looks like you guys didn't need the extra time after all! If you're all decided, I'll post the next turn on Sunday instead of next Wednesday.

Edit: I've also just had a query about contingency orders. MegaMek resolves all of its shooting and melee phase calculations at once, so you cannot ask for something like 'I fire all my weapons at the Clint in hex 0408, unless it is destroyed by another player, in which case I shoot the Hunchback in hex 0715 instead'. However, I can accept contingencies with regards to line of sight, since that happens before everything gets locked in.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 2, 2023

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Eliminate Pirate Lance: Turn 1

On the other side of the clearing, the pirate Javelin paused mid-stride. Its pilot dithered, clearly caught off-guard by the sudden appearance of Sable Lance.

Their hesitation cost them dearly. In the time it took for her heart to beat twice Jenna Sable raised her Wolverine’s right arm, took aim, and triggered her battlemech’s primary interlock circuit. The blood-red beam of her Large Laser struck the Javelin squarely in its centre of mass, melting an enormous hole into its bulbous chest. Armour ran in molten rivers as the intense heat brought the metal to boiling point, causing it to bubble and slough off the chassis like so much candlewax.

At the exact same moment an actinic flash swept across the clearing as Yukiko’s PPC discharged, unleashing a ravening blast of man-made lightning. The azure whip of charged particles lashed the Javelin mercilessly, shattering armour and biting deep into the machine’s left flank. The spindly mech shuddered under the impact, oily black smoke erupting from the massive rent in its side.

“Nice one, Nekomata!” Charles Wentworth’s cheery voice crackled over the radio. His Gladiator’s own PPC discharged moments later, but the Javelin suddenly lurched forwards, and the shot narrowly missed. The little mech broke into a sprint, its wedge-shaped feet tearing up the grassy soil as it raced towards a patch of woodland on the west side of the clearing.

Belatedly, the other pirate battlemechs returned fire, but their shots were sporadic and unfocused. A smile tugged at Jenna’s lips as a flight of LRM’s from the Whitworth veered off-course and slammed into the ground two hundred metres ahead of her. They had scored first blood. Now it was time for second, and hopefully third as well.

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Panther PNT-9R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 12: Hits Left Torso! Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers) takes 10 damage to Left Torso, 0/8 Armour, 5/7 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Torso! Critical Hit on SRM-6!

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3G (Player):
Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 11, rolls 12: Hits Centre Torso! Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers) takes 8 damage to Centre Torso, 0/8 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers):
Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers):
-Fires LRM 5 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 11, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers):
Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers):
-Fires LRM 10 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 12, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires LRM 10 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 12, rolls 7: Misses!

No melee attacks made this turn!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Panther PNT-9R (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Stinger STG-3G (Player) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Player Status

Enemy Status

Primary Objectives:
-Destroy Pirate Lance (0/4)

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 7th 9:00PM GMT.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

AJ_Impy posted:

Roll boxcars, Sable Lance.

Scintilla posted:

-Fires PPC at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 12
-Fires Large Laser at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 11, rolls 12

Perfection.

Now, the tactical situation. Opfor mechs all moved 7 for a +3 to hit mod, except the Whitworth which moved 4 for a +1. We can pretty much move up to threaten any of them, who do we want to focus down?

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Nice shooting team!

I was thinking of ducking into the forest to the ahead and right and keeping the wasp from getting in behind us.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Can you put me on the list as a potential future pilot? I've played a bit with the agoac box but don't get many chances to play

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I can head straight north and get to 6 hexes from the Wasp, putting it at short range of my PPC and medium range of the SRM. Though with all the movement, I might still be looking for boxcars to hit....

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

ilmucche posted:

Can you put me on the list as a potential future pilot? I've played a bit with the agoac box but don't get many chances to play

Sure thing!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

CirclMastr posted:

I can head straight north and get to 6 hexes from the Wasp, putting it at short range of my PPC and medium range of the SRM. Though with all the movement, I might still be looking for boxcars to hit....

Base of 4, +2 for your own movement, +3 for the wasp's movement, -1 on the PPC due to improved targeting (short), +2 on the SRM for medium range. 8 for the big gun, 11 for the missiles. I think you're just about clear of the light woods. I'll back you up on that, heading to 1212 to PPC the wasp.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 6, 2023

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Base of 4, +2 for your own movement, +3 for the wasp's movement, -1 on the PPC due to improved targeting (short), +2 on the SRM for medium range. 8 for the big gun, 11 for the missiles. I think you're just about clear of the light woods. I'll back you up on that, heading to 1212 to PPC the wasp.

I'll probably hold off on firing the SRM then, for the sake of heat.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Facing in rough terrain only costs 1 movement per hex faced right?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Otter Madness posted:

Facing in rough terrain only costs 1 movement per hex faced right?

Rough terrain costs 1 extra MP to move into, but doesn't affect turning MP in any way.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I've confirmed my orders, firing PPC only at the Wasp.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Mine are in as above.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

Scintilla posted:

Rough terrain costs 1 extra MP to move into, but doesn't affect turning MP in any way.

Awesome! Thanks!

So I think I am going to run to 1710 and shoot at the Wasp.

Mine are in as well

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 7, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

with the three of y'all on the wasp, i think i will head to 1115 and keep some more fire on the javelin

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Eliminate Pirate Lance: Turn 2

Sweat trickled down Alexander Hanh’s forehead as he manoeuvred his Stinger through the woods to the north of the clearing. The little mech didn’t run nearly as hot as some other battlemechs, but its cockpit had a habit of growing stuffy and close after only a short time in the field. At first Alexander had thought there must be some flaw in the Stinger’s ventilation system, but none of the techs he’d consulted had been able to find anything wrong. Even wearing a different cooling vest hadn’t helped.

Grunting irritably, Alexander raised his neurohelmet’s protective visor and wiped the droplet away before it could drip down into his eyes. No, it was probably just him. He had always been sensitive to heat. As a child, he had been unable to sleep if the temperature was above 21 degrees. He coped better now, but even as an adult he had a tendency to sweat himself half to death in warmer climates.

Movement flickered up ahead as the pirate Wasp touched down. Banishing his frustrations, Alexander quickly dropped his crosshairs over its silhouette and fired, but the flickering flames from the bug mech’s jump jets obscured its profile and fouled his aim. The Wasp immediately leapt into the air again and snapped off a couple of shots at Yukiko’s Panther, but it’s pilot’s aim was no better and both the laser and missiles slammed harmlessly into the ground.

Yukiko’s return fire was far more deadly. The blueish-white lance of her PPC transfixed the Wasp, piercing its centre as if it were a real wasp being pinned to a specimen board. The little mech dropped like a stone, and for a moment Alexander thought the shot had been fatal, but the pilot feathered their jump jets at the last moment and landed heavily on a small outcropping to the north.

“Careful, they’re trying to flank us!” Alexander warned as he took note of the other pirate’s movements. His gaze lingered briefly on Jenna’s Wolverine. He knew he should pursue the Wasp, but a small part of him yearned to return to her side. He wasn’t her bodyguard anymore, but the instincts of a lifetime were hard to shake.

-Fires PPC at Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!

-Fires PPC at Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Centre Torso! Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers) takes 10 damage to Centre Torso, 0/6 Armour, 2/6 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! Critical Hit on Engine! +5 Heat per turn!

-Fires Medium Laser at Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers); needs 12, rolls 2: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers); needs 12, rolls 6: Misses!

-Fires Large Laser at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 11, rolls 9: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 13: Automatic Miss!
-Fires Medium Laser at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 13: Automatic Miss!

-Fires SRM 6 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Players); needs 12, rolls 6: Misses!

-Fires Medium Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 11, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires AC/5 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires LRM 5 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 10, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM 2 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 11, rolls 8: Misses!

-Fires Medium Laser at Panther PNT-9R (Player); needs 11, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM 2 at Panther PNT-9R (Player); needs 11, rolls 8: Misses!

-Fires LRM 10 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 9, rolls 10: 4 missiles Hit! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 4 damage to Right Torso, 16/20 Armour remaining.
-Fires LRM 10 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!

No melee attacks made this turn!

Panther PNT-9R (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Stinger STG-3G (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers) gains 6 heat, sinks 6 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers) gains 16 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 6 heat. Overheating!

Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Player Status

Enemy Status

Primary Objectives:

Special Abilities:

Next Orders Due: Saturday 11th 9:00PM GMT.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Dibs on 0713, I'm either jumping or running into it to get backshots on the Shadow Hawk.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hmm, don't want to get my wolverine too surrounded, don't want to get punched by the shadow hawk, don't want to expose my back to the whitworth... suggestions, pilots?

e: ^ with that in mind, i'm now thinking of jumping into the water in 0717 and opening up on the wounded javelin or the shadowhawk. not sure how much extra heat i'd dump in the water (if any - idk if it works like hbs battletech or not). need to know before i decide how many weapons to fire :)

biosterous fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 8, 2023

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Scintilla posted:

Wasp WSP-1A ... Overheating!

Not something you see very often!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Dibs on 0713, I'm either jumping or running into it to get backshots on the Shadow Hawk.

I could turn and walk to 1314, which should put me 6 away from the Shadow Hawk so I can fire on it reasonably effectively.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Thinking of going to 1704 and trying to shoot the wasp again.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Hit modifiers. Locust jumped 6, +3 total. Whitworth jumped 4, +2. Javelin ran 7, +3. Shawk ran 5 into light woods, +2 move +1 woods.

Going to run the Gladiator.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

hmm, don't want to get my wolverine too surrounded, don't want to get punched by the shadow hawk, don't want to expose my back to the whitworth... suggestions, pilots?

e: ^ with that in mind, i'm now thinking of jumping into the water in 0717 and opening up on the wounded javelin or the shadowhawk. not sure how much extra heat i'd dump in the water (if any - idk if it works like hbs battletech or not). need to know before i decide how many weapons to fire :)

Jumping into the water means you'll have to take a piloting test. It's not that bad - you only need to roll a 4 - but it's worth being aware of. Heat sinks become doubly efficient while underwater, and since your Wolverine has two leg-mounted heat sinks, being in Depth 1 water means you'll be sinking 16 heat instead of 14.

Edit: Also, you don't actually start taking overheat penalties until you're at +5 heat, so there is some wiggle room either way.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 9, 2023

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

I could turn and walk to 1314, which should put me 6 away from the Shadow Hawk so I can fire on it reasonably effectively.

Locked in this move and firing PPC at Shadow Hawk.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Orders in!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

going for a dip and shooting the shadow hawk, orders submitted!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I never knew isometric was a thing and next time I play I'm absolutely using that, apropos of nothing.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

evilmiera posted:

I never knew isometric was a thing and next time I play I'm absolutely using that, apropos of nothing.

MegaMek has a lot of QoL features like that. There are options to show your firing arcs, highlight your LOS range / darken everything outside it, show your possible movement range, and show which hexes you need to go to in order to get the best possible movement modifier. They're all under the 'View' tab and clearly labelled, so you don't even need to faff about in the game options.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Welp, we've had our first Through-Armour Critical of the campaign.

Also, I should probably have mentioned this sooner, but the rules for accidental fires are in play. It hasn't happened so far, but it might be something to keep in mind.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Eliminate Pirate Lance: Turn 3

Charles Wentworth was having the time of his life. A giddy smile spread across his lips as his Gladiator raced across the grassy plain. He felt alive for the first time in years, and nothing could spoil his good mood.

Battlemechs had been a childhood obsession for Charles. As an infant, ‘The Littlest Atlas’ had been his favourite storybook. When he and his friends had played ‘mechwarrior’ together he had always wanted to be the Bounty Hunter, Aleksandr Kerensky, and especially Charles Kincaid, whose name he had been honoured to share. As a teenager he had religiously tuned in to watch MechTalk and Immortal Warrior, nurturing the dream that one day he too might pilot a Warhammer, or a Hunchback, or even a humble Locust.

Inevitably, the clammy grey mist of adulthood had smothered Charles’s boyish dreams, suffocating them under the cold blanket of reality. Battlemechs were exciting and glamorous, but they were also rare and expensive, and Charles had no way to acquire one. Real estate was mundane and often boring, but Charles had been good at it and it had given him a livelihood he could take a modest amount of pride in. And so, he had locked his old fantasies away, burying them in a dark and distant corner of his soul where they would never see the light again.

Until that glorious day, when the diggers had rolled onto that old Merryweather plot and allowed his dreams to rise again, Phoenix-like, from the mind-forged tomb he had buried them in.

A thrill of elation surged through Charles as he managed to circle around behind the enemy Shadow Hawk. He jammed his thumb down on the firing stud, triggering every weapon except his PPC. For a moment he worried he’d fired too early. His SRM’s thudded into the forest floor, but one of his Medium Lasers carved an angry red line across the Shadow Hawk’s back. Sparks erupted as the beam traversed the Shad’s jump jet assembly, shearing one of them off completely. The jet’s booster ignited as the heat of the laser touched off its remaining oxidant, causing it to corkscrew off into the sky.

“Did you see that?” Charles whooped, unable to contain his excitement. “I shot the thing and it went off like a goddamn bottle rocket!”

“Well done, Castle!” Jenna replied, sounding amused. “It’s a bit more exciting than the simulator, right?”

Charles grinned wolfishly as the Shadow Hawk turned to face him. “drat right it is!”

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) must make a piloting skill check (entering Depth 1 Water); needs 4, rolls 4: Succeeds!

-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 9: Hits Rear Centre Torso! Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Rear Centre Torso, 3/8 Armour remaining. Through Armour Critical!
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! Critical Hit on Jump Jet!
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires SRM 6 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!

-Fires PPC at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 6: Misses!

-Fires Medium Laser at Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 6: Misses!

-Fires Large Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 9: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 10: Hits Right Torso! Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 13/18 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM 6 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 6: Misses!

-Fires SRM 6 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Players); needs 8, rolls 10: 2 missiles Hit! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 2 damage to Left Arm (16/18 Armour remaining), Right Arm (16/18 Armour remaining).

-Fires Medium Laser at Panther PNT-9R (Player); needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires AC/5 at Panther PNT-9R (Player); needs 6, rolls 6: Hits Left Torso! Panther PNT-9R (Player) takes 5 damage to Left Torso, 5/10 Armour remaining.
-Fires LRM 5 at Panther PNT-9R (Player); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires SRM 2 at Panther PNT-9R (Player); needs 8, rolls 9: 2 missiles Hit! Panther PNT-9R (Player) takes 2 damage to Left Torso (3/10 Armour remaining), Left Leg (10/12 Armour remaining).

-Fires Medium Laser at Stinger STG-3G (Player); needs 10, rolls 5: Misses!

-Fires LRM 10 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 10, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires LRM 10 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 10, rolls 4: Misses!

Physical attacks for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Kicks Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!

Physical attacks for Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers):
-Punches Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) with Left Arm; needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!

Panther PNT-9R (Player) gains 11 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Stinger STG-3G (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 22 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 7 heat. Overheating!

Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers) gains 6 heat, sinks 6 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers) gains 14 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 10 heat. Overheating!

Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers) gains 12 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Piloting checks for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Missed a Kick: Needs 5, rolls 7: Succeeds!

Stray weapons fire from Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) has a chance to start a fire in Hex 0714!
-Medium Laser: Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 3: Possible fire!
--Needs 9 to ignite, rolls 6: Hex fails to ignite.
-SRM 6: Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 10: No fire.

Stray weapons fire from Panther PNT-9R (Player) has a chance to start a fire in Hex 0714!
-PPC: Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 7: No fire.

Stray weapons fire from Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) has a chance to start a fire in Hex 0714!
-Large Laser: Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 7: No fire.
-Medium Laser: Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 4: No fire.
-SRM 6: Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 7: No fire.

Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers) must make a piloting skill check (entering Depth 1 Water); needs 4, rolls 5: Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Primary Objectives:

Special Abilities:

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 14th 9:00PM GMT.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

There goes my 100% hit rate with the PPC. :smith:

Can I get a check on whether the Javelin is in my firing arc?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

CirclMastr posted:

There goes my 100% hit rate with the PPC. :smith:

Can I get a check on whether the Javelin is in my firing arc?

The Javelin is in your arc at the moment, yes.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I am tempted to just unload on it from here.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

^ i certainly wouldn't mind you keeping the javelin off my back :yayclod:

if i'm in 0617 facing 0717, is the shadow hawk in my arc, or would i need more movement/turning?

does the elevation difference (depth 1 shooting at 0 elevation) add difficulty, or maybe count as an extra tile of difference?

current plan is get nice and close while staying in the water and firing all my short-range weapons, while dumping most of my excess heat

i'm also still unsure about heat calculations, but if i can also fire my large laser while still getting getting out of heat penalty range then i'll be doing that too

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

^ i certainly wouldn't mind you keeping the javelin off my back :yayclod:

if i'm in 0617 facing 0717, is the shadow hawk in my arc, or would i need more movement/turning?

does the elevation difference (depth 1 shooting at 0 elevation) add difficulty, or maybe count as an extra tile of difference?

current plan is get nice and close while staying in the water and firing all my short-range weapons, while dumping most of my excess heat

i'm also still unsure about heat calculations, but if i can also fire my large laser while still getting getting out of heat penalty range then i'll be doing that too

If you are thinking about backing up to 0617, then the Shadow Hawk will be in your firing arc as long as you torso-twist to face him, which you can easily do thanks to your Wolverine's Extended Torso Twist quirk. Keep in mind that you'll need to make another 4+ piloting test due to moving through Depth 1 water.

The elevation difference won't affect your shooting. It will affect enemies trying to shoot at you, since being in Depth 1 water gives you partial cover and causes any hits to your legs to do no damage.

Heat calculations are pretty simple, but for some reason the Quickstart rules don't explain them, so I don't blame you for being confused. Units in Battletech mostly generate heat through movement and firing their weapons. You gain 1 heat from walking, 2 from running, and 1 additional heat for every hex you jump (So if you jump five hexes you gain +5 heat). Your weapons also generate heat as per the value on your unit's datasheet, so firing your Large Laser generates 8 heat. Add up the heat from your movement / weapons, then subtract your number of active heat sinks to work out how much heat you'll generate at the end of your turn.

If you move to hex 0617 and fire your two Medium Lasers and SRM-6 you'll end up at 2 heat. Firing your Large Laser as well would leave you at 10 heat, which would impose a -2 movement penalty and a +1 accuracy penalty.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

excellent, thank you! i'll do some more deciding now that i know :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Thinking of heading to 2207 and trying to finish the Wasp. The Whitworth not moving definitely limits my options.

Alternate plan: jump to 1204 and threaten the Whitworth.

Question: standing in a forest hex doesn't impose a shooting penalty on yourself correct?

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 13, 2023