Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Otter Madness posted:

Question: standing in a forest hex doesn't impose a shooting penalty on yourself correct?

That's correct; you only take a penalty if there's a forest between you and your target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Oh hey, the Whitworth didn't move. Running to 0707, the woods should cover me from the Shawk. Speed is life. The Whitworth is giving me sixes to hit.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

Scintilla posted:

That's correct; you only take a penalty if there's a forest between you and your target.

Ok, so I think I am going to jump to 1204 and try to deal some damage to the Whitworth.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i am continuing to go wading + opening up on the shadow hawk with my close range weapons, at close range :c00l:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

I am tempted to just unload on [the Javelin] from here.

Locked in.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

CirclMastr posted:

Locked in.

Same!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Well, we've now had our first headshot, first consciousness roll, and first fall. Things are getting interesting...

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

Scintilla posted:

Well, we've now had our first headshot, first consciousness roll, and first fall. Things are getting interesting...

Exciting!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Eliminate Pirate Lance: Turn 4

Lucas Shaw’s weather-beaten brow furrowed as his Shadow Hawk, Simurgh, rocked under a withering barrage from the enemy Wolverine. Diagnostics flashed on his heads-up display as his mech’s DI computer calculated the amount of damage he’d just taken, but Shaw ignored them. Simurgh was a tough old bird, and he trusted her to protect him, just as she had protected his mother before him, and his grandfather before her.

As the gunfire petered out, Shaw stoically took stock of his situation. His dark eyes examined the enemy battlemechs, with their curious chequerboard paintwork and eclectic mix of designs. Mercenaries, no doubt, come to collect the bounties on all of their heads. Their initial assault had been ferocious, but now they seemed to be losing focus, each unit breaking off to chase their own targets. Was it a lack of experience, or were they simply unused to working together? Either way, it was a basic error.

A mirthless smile spread across Shaw’s lips as a plan began to form inside his mind. His gnarled hands quickly played over Simurgh’s controls, bringing all of her weapons to bear on the Wolverine and the Panther. “Thabo. I need two volleys into that Wolverine,” he demanded over the comms, the words grinding in his throat like chunks of granite.

“Eh?” Thabo responded irascibly. “What’s the magic word, motherfucker?”

Shaw rolled his eyes. “Two volleys, right now, or I’ll loving shoot you myself.” Then he fired, not bothering to wait for a response.

Simurgh’s guns spoke in unison, raking the Wolverine’s frontal armour. The heavy scout mech staggered as every shot hit home, its gyro struggling to bleed off the force of so many impacts. For a moment, it looked like it might succeed. Then two flights of LRM’s from Thabo’s Whitworth smashed down on top of it like the hammer of God Almighty. The Wolverine overbalanced and toppled over, throwing up a huge wave of dark water as it crashed down into the shallow lake below.

At the same moment, Simurgh’s LRMs struck the Panther squarely in its broad, angular head. The light mech recoiled as the warheads detonated, but remained on its feet. Not a killshot, but the pilot would definitely have felt it. Shaw’s smile widened. Splitting fire was always a gamble, but this time it had absolutely paid off for him.

“You lads hosed up big time,” he growled, backing Simurgh up while he waited for his weapons to rearm and reload. “I’m gonna kill every last one of you fuckers. Just you loving wait.”

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) must make a piloting skill check (entering Depth 1 Water).
Needs 4, rolls 7: Succeeds!

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 8: Hits Right Arm! Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Right Arm, 7/12 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 12: Hits Right Torso! Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 7/12 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM 6 at Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Panther PNT-9R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires SRM 4 at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3G (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 6: Hits Left Torso! Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Left Torso, 13/18 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 7: Hits Centre Torso! Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Centre Torso, 18/23 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM 6 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 8: 5 missiles Hit! Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) takes 2 damage to Right Torso (11/18 Armour remaining), Right Arm (14/16 Armour remaining), Left Leg (14/16 Armour remaining), Right Torso (9/18 Armour remaining), Left Leg (12/16 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers):
-Fires SRM 6 at Panther PNT-9R (Players); needs 8, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 6, rolls 8: Hits Left Arm! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 5 damage to Left Arm, 11/18 Armour remaining.
-Fires AC/5 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 8, rolls 10: Hits Right Torso! Panther PNT-9R (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 11/20 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM 2 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 6, rolls 8: 2 missiles Hit! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 2 damage to Left Torso (18/20 Armour remaining), Head (7/10 Armour remaining). Pilot Hit!
-Fires LRM 5 at Panther PNT-9R (Player); needs 9, rolls 10: 3 missiles Hit! Panther PNT-9R (Player) takes 3 damage to Head (6/9 Armour remaining). Pilot Hit!

Weapons fire for Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers):
Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers):
-Fires LRM 10 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 6, rolls 9: 4 missiles Hit! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 4 damage to Right Arm (12/18 Armour remaining).
-Fires LRM 10 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 6, rolls 11: 6 missiles Hit! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 5 damage to Centre Torso (20/25 Armour remaining), 1 damage to Right Arm (11/18 Armour remaining).

Physical attacks for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Would like to punch Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers) but cannot do so due to firing arm-mounted weapons in the Shooting Phase!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Panther PNT-9R (Player) gains 13 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Stinger STG-3G (Player) gains 11 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 3 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 11 heat, sinks 18 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers) gains 6 heat, sinks 6 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers) gains 11 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 11 heat. Overheating!

Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers) gains 8 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Jenna Sable (Wolverine WVR-6M) has taken 1 damage this turn! Jenna Sable must pass a consciousness test or fall unconscious!
-Jenna Sable must roll a 3 to remain conscious! Toughness bonus reduces target to 2. Automatic Success!

Yukiko Ishimura (Panther PNT-9R) has taken 1 damage this turn! Yukiko Ishimura must pass a consciousness test or fall unconscious!
-Yukiko Ishimura must roll a 3 to remain conscious! Rolls 8: Succeeds!

--

Piloting checks for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Took 20+ damage this turn: Needs 6, rolls 5: Fails!
--Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) falls on its rear, suffering 3 damage to Rear Right Torso (3/6 Armour Remaining).
--Jenna Sable must roll a 6 to avoid a pilot hit; rolls 9: Succeeds!
--Possible breach due to falling in water! Rolls 5; No breach sustained!

Piloting checks for Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers):
-Took 20+ damage this turn: Needs 6, rolls 10: Succeeds!

---

Stray weapons fire from Panther PNT-9R (Player) has a chance to start a fire in Hex 1119!
-PPC: Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 8: No fire.
-SRM 4: Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 9: No fire.

Player Status

Enemy Status

Primary Objectives:
-Destroy Pirate Lance (0/4)

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.

Next Orders Due: Saturday 18th 9:00PM GMT.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

That definitely could have gone better....

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
So we are in a bit of a tighter spot now. Plans for next turn?

I can get behind the Whitworth easily and put some shots and a kick to its back, but that doesn't really do that much damage.

I can also jump to the wasp and try to kill it with punches. A single punch to the CT will kill it.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I think we need to go back to that turn 1 strategy of focusing fire, and focus fire on the Whitworth.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Jumping to 1205, attacking the Whitworth's right side I softened up this turn.

Edit, orders in. To-hits aren't going to be great.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 16, 2023

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
What is the plan for the Wolverine?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Locked in a jump to 1212 and attack on Whitworth.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Maybe I sit still and shoot the Whitworth? Better to-hits than running behind.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Otter Madness posted:

Maybe I sit still and shoot the Whitworth? Better to-hits than running behind.

Yeah, since you're in heavy woods, that's viable.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

Yeah, since you're in heavy woods, that's viable.

Yeah, and if the Whitworth thinks I am worth shooting at, all the better. Orders are in!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Good luck team!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

what are my options with standing up + movement? it's not in the quickstart pdf or the lpix guide

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

what are my options with standing up + movement? it's not in the quickstart pdf or the lpix guide

There are two methods for standing up. You can try to stand up normally, which costs 2 MP and requires a 5+ piloting test, after which you can move as usual. The other option is to stand up carefully, which only requires a 3+ piloting test but prevents you from moving afterwards. You can still change your facing however.

There are a couple of other things to note as well. Battlemechs cannot jump after standing up from a fall; they can only walk or run. Since you fell in water, your mech was fully submerged at the end of last turn, which means you sank all of your heat, which is nice.

My advice would be to stand carefully this turn, then jump out of the water next turn. Failing the piloting test means falling back down again, which means potentially taking another pilot hit, and possibly a breach, which could cripple you. My Shadow Hawk can't do enough damage to knock you down again by itself, and the Whitworth is probably going to be a bit distracted this turn, so you should be fine.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Eliminate Pirate Lance: Turn 5

After taking a moment to steady his aim, Alexander fired his Stinger’s lasers at the Whitworth. One of his shots missed, but the other speared the Whitworth in the chest. The armour there must have been fatigued, because the narrow beam of energy punched straight through, leaving a smoking hole in the middle of the plate. Flames flickered within the breach, thin at first but rapidly growing in strength and fury. A hollow boom split the air as something exploded deep within the Whitworth’s chest, and Alexander’s heart leapt as he realised he must have hit an ammunition bin.

“Watch out, people! The Tin Woodsman’s about to pop!” he warned.

The Whitworth jerked and spasmed as its remaining LRM ammunition cooked off. Armour plates buckled and burst outwards as the shaped charges inside each warhead detonated one after another, a cataclysmic chorus of destruction that tore the stocky medium mech open from shoulder to hip. Gutted and broken, the Whitworth collapsed in a mangled heap, flames belching from its charred and mutilated corpse.

“Good grief…” Charles murmured, clearly shocked by the carnage.

“Keep your eye on the ball, Castle,” Alexander chided, although he couldn’t help but wince. Ammunition explosions were never pretty. The mech’s DI computer transmitted the concussive force into the pilot’s neurohelmet, essentially delivering a burst of mental static directly into the mechwarrior’s brain. The pain was excruciating, and could have fatal consequences if the pilot passed out before they could pull the ejection handle. The damage done to the mech was even worse. Alexander doubted they would be able to salvage anything of value from the Whitworth. The explosions would have broken the mech’s skeleton and mangled its internals beyond recovery. Once, long ago, the Star League had developed technology that could vent such destructive explosions outwards, limiting the damage somewhat, but the blueprints and production lines had been lost in the chaos and slaughter of the Succession Wars.

Alexander sighed and forced himself to focus on the task at hand. With the Whitworth down, the pirates had lost their fire support. The scales of battle were tipping back in Sable Lance’s favour. Now they just had to capitalise on it.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) must make a piloting skill check (standing carefully).
Needs 3, rolls 10: Succeeds!

-Fires Medium Laser at Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 11: Hits Left Leg! Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Left Leg, 13/18 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM 6 at Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!

-Fires PPC at Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!

-Fires Medium Laser at Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 8: Hits Right Torso! Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 2/12 Armour remaining. Through Armour Critical!
--Critical Chance in Right Torso! Critical Hit on LRM 10 Ammo (12)! LRM 10 Ammo explodes, dealing 120 damage! Pilot Hit x2!
---Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers) takes 120 damage to Right Torso, 0/10 Structure remaining. Right Torso destroyed! Right Arm blown off! 110 damage transfers to Centre Torso, 0/12 Structure remaining. Centre Torso destroyed! Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers) destroyed by ammunition explosion!

-Fires Large Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 7: Hits Left Torso! Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) takes 8 damage to Left Torso, 5/18 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Left Leg! Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Left Leg, 7/16 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM 6 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!

-Fires SRM 6 at Panther PNT-9R (Players); needs 10, rolls 9: Misses!

-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 7, rolls 9: Hits Right Torso! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 6/20 Armour remaining.
-Fires AC/5 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Left Torso! Panther PNT-9R (Player) takes 5 damage to Left Torso, 13/20 Armour remaining.
-Fires LRM 5 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 7, rolls 7: 4 missiles Hit! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 4 damage to Right Arm, 7/18 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM 2 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 7, rolls 10: 1 missile Hit! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Arm, 5/18 Armour remaining.

Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 11, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 11, rolls 3: Misses!

-Would like to kick Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers) but cannot do so because the target has already been destroyed.

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Panther PNT-9R (Player) gains 13 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Stinger STG-3G (Player) gains 6 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 20 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) gains 9 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers) gains 9 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 10 heat. Overheating!

Thabo Ngumo ( Whitworth WTH-1) has taken 2 damage this turn! Thabo Ngumo must pass a consciousness test or fall unconscious!
-Thabo Ngumo must roll a 3+ to remain conscious! Rolls 7: Succeeds!
-Thabo Ngumo must roll a 5+ to remain conscious! Rolls 7: Succeeds!
-Thabo Ngumo safely ejects from Whitworth WTH-1!

---

Stray weapons fire from Whitworth WTH-1 (Prowlers) has a chance to start a fire in Hex 1205!
-Medium Laser: Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 5: No fire.
-Medium Laser: Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 6: No fire.

Player Status

Enemy Status

Primary Objectives:
-Destroy Pirate Lance (1/4)

Special Abilities:

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 21st 9:00PM GMT.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 19, 2023

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I seem to be slightly surrounded. Any suggestions where I should jump to?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

CirclMastr posted:

I seem to be slightly surrounded. Any suggestions where I should jump to?

1610 (facing 1510) would protect your rear mostly - 1711 is the only rear-arc spot the Javelin can jump to, and I don't think that it can actually shoot there if it managed to land.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Well, that took the heavy hitter off the board. Focus fire the Javelin next turn?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

panther jumping behind the wasp to try and finish it off sounds great, as does the gladiator and stinger focusing on the javelin

not sure if i should keep trying to duel with the shadow hawk, or risk running up behind the javelin to shoot its back (and expose my back to the s.hawk)

does stepping from a depth 1 water tile to a regular terrain tile cost 1 movement, or 2? any piloting checks for exiting water?

i'd also consider jumping but going off of sarna.net i think that most of my jumpjets are in my legs and i know i can't use them while they're submerged

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

panther jumping behind the wasp to try and finish it off sounds great, as does the gladiator and stinger focusing on the javelin

not sure if i should keep trying to duel with the shadow hawk, or risk running up behind the javelin to shoot its back (and expose my back to the s.hawk)

does stepping from a depth 1 water tile to a regular terrain tile cost 1 movement, or 2? any piloting checks for exiting water?

i'd also consider jumping but going off of sarna.net i think that most of my jumpjets are in my legs and i know i can't use them while they're submerged

Moving out of Depth 1 water costs 2 MP total, without any piloting checks. It can only be done using Walking MP, so the only way you can leave the lake from your current position is by turning upwards and walking into hex 0616. After that you can use your full MP to move, so you could choose to run around to hex 0416 and shoot the Shadow Hawk in the back if you wanted. Also, you actually can jump if you want to; the Wolverine actually has all of its jump jets in its torso sections, so they aren't submerged in Depth 1 water.

Edit: Also, just as a general note, the fluff wasn't exaggerating about ammunition explosions utterly destroying a unit. Anything that suffers one and isn't protected by CASE is removed from the salvage pool at the end of a given mission. It's an extra thing to consider when you see an enemy unit that looks like it might be a nice acquisition.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 19, 2023

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

Scintilla posted:

Edit: Also, just as a general note, the fluff wasn't exaggerating about ammunition explosions utterly destroying a unit. Anything that suffers one and isn't protected by CASE is removed from the salvage pool at the end of a given mission. It's an extra thing to consider when you see an enemy unit that looks like it might be a nice acquisition.

Haha sorry anyone that wanted some of the Whitworth

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Consider hiring the pilot given he ejected! I mean, fresh meat, with the alternatives being leaving him on the battlefield to wander home (unlikely, given however many dozens or hundreds of kilometers it is), ransom him (even more unlikely, given if he's a pirate it doesn't involve a family of high worth ad the pirates aren't gonna wanna pay to get him back given they just lost a highly expensive Mech with him in it).

So can hire him, leave him and (likely) let him die from the elements, or just take him to the nearest port and set him lose/give him to the authorities.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Does the Whitworth crater hex count as rough terrain, or can I run 7 (spending a move to change elevation) to help focus on the Javelin and get in kicking range of the wasp?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Eliminate Pirate Lance: Turn 5

The Whitworth jerked and spasmed as its remaining LRM ammunition cooked off. Armour plates buckled and burst outwards as the shaped charges inside each warhead detonated one after another, a cataclysmic chorus of destruction that tore the stocky medium mech open from shoulder to hip. Gutted and broken, the Whitworth collapsed in a mangled heap, flames belching from its charred and mutilated corpse.

That'll buff out. :v:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

wedgekree posted:

Consider hiring the pilot given he ejected! I mean, fresh meat, with the alternatives being leaving him on the battlefield to wander home (unlikely, given however many dozens or hundreds of kilometers it is), ransom him (even more unlikely, given if he's a pirate it doesn't involve a family of high worth ad the pirates aren't gonna wanna pay to get him back given they just lost a highly expensive Mech with him in it).

So can hire him, leave him and (likely) let him die from the elements, or just take him to the nearest port and set him lose/give him to the authorities.

I'll be letting the thread decide what to do with captured mechwarriors at the end of each contract. Bear in mind that some of them might refuse to sign on for narrative reasons, eg. a captured DCMS Tai-sa will probably not be keen to join the company due to cultural reasons, especially once the Death To Mercenaries edict is signed.

AJ_Impy posted:

Does the Whitworth crater hex count as rough terrain, or can I run 7 (spending a move to change elevation) to help focus on the Javelin and get in kicking range of the wasp?

Yep, destroyed mechs count as rough terrain.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Probably running to 0909 and taking potshots at the Javelin. Not a ton of great moves this turn for me.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

now that i know i can dart behind the s.hawk and still keep heat low, it is time for fisticuffs (and also my non-arm-mounted guns)! that rear armour is looking nice and thin right now

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Scintilla posted:

Yep, destroyed mechs count as rough terrain.

Thank you. Fortunately I miscounted, 1205 to 1211 is six hexes, so doing that, short range weapons at the Javelin, kick the wasp. Orders in.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Gnoman posted:

1610 (facing 1510) would protect your rear mostly - 1711 is the only rear-arc spot the Javelin can jump to, and I don't think that it can actually shoot there if it managed to land.

Just to confirm, this move would generate 12 heat, correct? So I don't think firing would be wise for me.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

CirclMastr posted:

Just to confirm, this move would generate 12 heat, correct? So I don't think firing would be wise for me.

Jumping costs +1 heat per hex traveled, so jumping to 1610 would cost 4 heat.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Alright then, locked in that move plus firing at the Javelin.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Eliminate Pirate Lance: Turn 6

Yukiko Ishimura watched dispassionately as the pirate Wasp and Javelin attempted to encircle her. At the last possible moment she feathered her Panther’s jump jets and leapt into the air. Beneath her, the enemy light mechs looked on helplessly as she soared away, carried to safety on wings of fire. As she landed, she took aim at the Javelin and fired her PPC, determined to finally finish the wretched thing once and for all.

A simmering frustration bubbled up from deep within Yukiko’s chest as the beam of charged particles passed over the Javelin’s shoulder, missing it by the barest fraction of an inch. Her teeth made an audible grinding noise as she fought to control her fury. What was wrong with her today? Her first two shots had been flawless. How could she have lost her focus so easily? Why was it so hard to-

Yukiko grimaced as a familiar pain began to spread across her back, the same dull ache she always felt whenever she lost her composure. The doctors insisted that her scars had healed years ago, and that the feeling was psychosomatic, but Yukiko knew better. The pain was a curse, the last clinging remnants of her father’s hatred and contempt. His enmity dogged her footsteps, clawing at her in moments of weakness, trying to drag her down into the mud – but she wouldn’t let it. Not now. Not ever.

With a supreme effort of will, Yukiko forced her furious heartbeat into a calmer rhythm. As the pain in her back slowly ebbed away she examined the remaining pirates, trying to decide which one to engage next. One more hit. Just one more solid hit, and she could banish the ghosts of her past for another day.

-Fires Medium Laser at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Centre Torso! Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Centre Torso, 5/10 Armour remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! No critical hit sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires SRM 6 at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!

-Fires PPC at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!

-Fires Medium Laser at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 12: Hits Right Torso! Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 0/7 Structure remaining. Right Torso destroyed! Right Arm blown off!

-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires SRM 6 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 8: 5 missiles Hit! Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) takes 2 damage to Rear Left Torso (4/6 Armour remaining), Rear Centre Torso (1/8 Armour remaining), Rear Left Torso (2/6 Armour remaining), Left Leg (5/16 Armour remaining), Head (7/9 Armour remaining). Pilot Hit!

-Fires SRM 6 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!

-Fires Medium Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 11, rolls 10: Misses!
-Fires AC/5 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 9, rolls 9: Hits Centre Torso! Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) takes 5 damage to Centre Torso, 21/26 Armour remaining.
-Fires LRM 5 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires SRM 2 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 11, rolls 9: Misses!

-Fires Medium Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 10, rolls 11: Hits Right Leg! Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Leg, 14/19 Armour remaining.

-Kicks Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!

Physical attacks for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Punches Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) with Left Arm; needs 8, rolls 11: Hits Right Arm! Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) takes 6 damage to Right Arm, 8/16 Armour remaining.
-Punches Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) with Right Arm; needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!

Physical attacks for Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers):
-Punches Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) with Left Arm; needs 6, rolls 6: Hits Right Torso! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 6 damage to Right Torso, 0/20 Armour remaining.

Physical attacks for Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers):
-Kicks Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Panther PNT-9R (Player) gains 14 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Stinger STG-3G (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 9 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) gains 9 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers) gains 14 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 14 heat. Overheating!
-Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers) must roll a 4+ to avoid automatic shutdown! Rolls 6: Succeeds!

Lucas Shaw (Shadow Hawk SHD-2H) has taken 1 damage this turn! Lucas Shaw must pass a consciousness test or fall unconscious!
-Lucas Shaw must roll a 3+ to remain conscious! Rolls 3: Succeeds!

--

Piloting checks for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
Missed a kick: needs 5, rolls 7; Succeeds!

Piloting checks for Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers):
Missed a kick: needs 5, rolls 9; Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Primary Objectives:
-Destroy Pirate Lance (1/4)

Special Abilities:

Next Orders Due: Saturday 25th 9:00PM GMT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Good shooting team.

I am probably going to walk to 0914 and shoot at the Shadowhawk.